Chapter 15 Who in the hell are you?

My Heart's Desire

It was a gala event.  Everyone who was a who’s who in Asia was there.  His Father seemed to be in very good spirits and seemed to be excited about something.  He tried to discreetly question him but it was no use – he refused to say much about anything other than as charity events went this one would be interesting simply because of the guest list.

Min Ho was dressed in a tux and no one looks better than Min Ho in a tux – a few can equal him but can’t better him.  He had his own men there to keep an eye on the guest – at least one guest in particular.  Alice Park was not in attendance yet but as soon as she set foot on the hotel’s property he would know.  He didn’t plan on doing anything to her but he did want to see her up close and he wanted to talk to her.  A lot can be learned by listening to a person talk and the way they stand, sit, hold a glass or enunciate their words.  There was a lot he needed to see with his own eyes where Alice Park was concerned. 

His man Dean stopped beside him and said, “She just arrived.  You won’t miss her because of the car she drove.  She drove Boss.  She just got out of a new 2013 Lamborghini Veneno.  We now know who bought the third car Lamborghini built and sold. It is silver colored; Boss the price tag out of the factory was 3.9 million American dollars.  Her looks aren’t what you expected either.  She’s getting ready to enter the foyer now.”  His man left to keep an eye out for anything Min Ho might find interesting or useful.

Shin Hye did not look like Shin Hye.  Although she had the same eyes, dimples, cleft chin and nose, she still looked different, really different.  She walked differently, stood and sat differently.  Only a mother or father would know for sure or a lover.  She had no lovers, mother or father.  At least none that was in attendance that day at that event. 

She was exotic looking with an air of mystery and intrigue thrown into the mix.  Her hair was a stylish sleek bob, a burnished blue black.  Her eyes were a startling sapphire blue and her skin was translucent ivory.  She was dressed in a low cut sapphire blue floor length form fitting gown.  There was a slit up the left side to just above her knees and she wore translucent spike heels with metal embrasures that circled the shoes and up her ankle.  She had metal drop earrings and a metal bracelet circling her wrist tightly for several inches upward.  She was exotic and different.  She was an empress of the past; she carried the look of a woman of time immortal; she was the woman men fought wars over and men desired more than kingdoms. She was not your average woman and only a handful of people in the world knew her by sight. 

There was a hushed stillness as she entered the room.  There was a feeling of expectancy as she entered the room.  There was a feeling of envy, jealousy and desire as she entered the room.  There was a feeling of admiration as she entered the room.

His Father left the group he was talking to and approached her with his hands out.  “Alice, my dear, I am so pleased you could make tonight’s event.  How are you?” 

Alice turned toward him and bowed slightly as she extended her hand to him.  He took her hand and kissed the top.  He kept her hand in his and moved toward the raised dais at the end of the ballroom.  Standing in front of the mike still holding her hand, he cleared his throat and spoke clearly to the assemblage.  “Thank you for coming.  You know this is a charity event for an orphanage our company and several other companies here in Korea sponsor.  This is unusual in the companies sponsoring this joint effort are rivals in business but because it is a Korean orphanage we all came together to raise money to renovate and upgrade this orphanage.  I would also like to introduce you to my ward, Miss Alice Park.  I am her godfather and she has come to visit me from New York.  Alice is a major donor and supporter of our efforts to establish good healthy environments for our orphaned children here in our own homeland.  Alice has made a generous donation of 10 million American dollars.  Please help me thank her generosity.  Again thank you and please help yourself to our wide variety of wines and desserts.”

Alice bowed to the audience, smiling like the queen she was and stepped down as her benefactor stepped down.  She walked with him, her hand in the crook of his arm.  Min Ho was in turmoil.  She was beyond anything he had ever seen before – or almost.  She was as gorgeous as Shin Hye and in fact, she reminded him of Shin Hye, a lot.  But she was cold and unapproachable where Shin Hye was warm and inviting.  He did not go to his Father; he waited for his Father to come to him.  His Father had kept an eye on his son and was satisfied that he had no clue about the lovely girl next to him.  She was a suitable match for his son but his son would never acknowledge that fact because of his long hatred toward a girl he did not know nor wanted to know.  He could only express fear and resentment at this stage of his life toward the girl standing beside him.  How unfortunate, his Father thought. 

Shin Hye a.k.a. Alice noticed Min Ho, how could she not but she feared him most of all the people here.  Unless Geun Suk, Yong Hwa or Hong Ki showed up and if they did she would have to be extremely careful.  She knew all three were on the guest list but knew Yong Hwa and CNBlue were out of the country on their tour.  Hong Ki was filming on location so that left Sukkie and she knew he would probably show up because he liked to attend these sorts of events along with the fact that he had always supported work with orphanages because of Shin Hye.  So she would have to be extremely careful with her choice of words and phrases where he was concerned. 

Her benefactor was no longer an enigma. He had gotten word from underground sources that someone with unique abilities was searching to uncover his identity.  So he had set-up an appointment with her and come clean.  He really had nothing to hide except her Father’s identity and location.  No one knew of his connection to her Father; not even the government.  So he told her who he was and he knew she would never disclose any information.  Why else would she go along with her double identity but to find her Father?  They came to an understanding and she would hence forth call him Uncle.

She knew the minute Geun Suk arrived.  He was like a king of old when he arrived at his royal court.  He arrived with a flourish.  She knew Sukkie and it was all posturing for the audience.  He was all soft and sweet underneath.  Her main concern at this moment was Sukkie was a lady’s man and she would be his most natural target among the women there tonight.  She turned to her benefactor and said, “I do not think it wise for me to trade words with Geun Suk.  He knows me too well and I might slip.  What is your recommendation on the situation?”

He looked at the exquisite creature beside him.  No one would know she had a wig on and colored contacts.  She had a unique ability to change her voice and speak in the dialect of any nationality she wished.  She was an expert actress in that she could change her habits to go with the persona she wished others to see.  He thought this might be the best test of her abilities she will ever encounter.

“Alice, stay and let’s see how it goes.  If the unexpected should happen and Mr. Jang does uncover your secret you and I will talk to him and convince him of the need for secrecy.  Deal?”

She nodded and eyed Sukkie unobtrusively.  Sukkie spotted her within seconds of entering the room.  She was not expected.  She would not be expected anywhere on this earth but oh my, what a goddess.  Sukkie made his way toward her. 

Geun Suk stopped in front of Mr. Lee and bowed.  He said, “I am honored to be invited.  I have made a contribution to your foundation in my name and also one in Park Shin Hye’s name.  I did not see her name on the list and I know how she feels about this foundation so I hope you don’t mind.”

Shin Hye a.k.a Alice felt the slight squeeze on her arm from Uncle.  She was sure she would have made a movement if he had not steadied her.  Sukkie, she thought, you are a gem. Sukkie was definitely a flirt but a gem too.  She made a slight bow of her head and extended her hand to him.  She saw his lips curve up in a smile and his left eyebrow lift.  He was intrigued now and he was in his element.

He took her hand and kissed it.  He put his other hand on top of her hand so that her hand was encased within his hands.  He smiled as he bowed his head.  “Hello, I am Jang Geun Suk and I have no idea who you are but I can say with total sincerity that you are as beautiful as my best friend. In fact, you resemble her in an odd way.  Nevertheless, I am honored.”

Min Ho had made his way closer to the .  He was intrigued by this woman but he wanted nothing to do with her.  He did want to see what she said to Shin Hye’s Sukkie.  Who he noticed was a big flirt.  Ha, Shin Hye I am glad you aren’t hung up on your Sukkie as a match because I always knew he wasn’t the one for you.

When she spoke it was the sound of wind chimes.  It was the sound of Asian Imperial ancestry and it was a sound that could halt an enemy in their tracks.  Her voice made one think of a whisper on the wind, of hidden gardens heavy with wind carried scents of jasmine, honeysuckle and roses.  

She said to him, “I am pleased to meet you.  I am honored that you think I am as beautiful as your best friend.  I would like to tell you that I am your fan and would like to say thank you for the years of pleasure you have given your fans with dramas and music.  Thank you for your contribution to our foundation and I am more than sure your friend Shin Hye would hug and kiss you if she were here now.”

What is it about her that seems like I should know her? Min Ho was perplexed and he was frowning.  He couldn’t put his finger on it but something was tugging at the back corners of his brain.  Why does she seem so familiar?

He saw his Father approach with her and he stopped dead still and waited.  His Father squared his shoulders and with a slight tug at her arm he guided her toward Min Ho.  She looked at Uncle with a question and he nodded signaling her that it would be fine.

He stood in front of Min Ho and said, “Son, Min Ho, I would like to introduce you to my ward, Alice Park.  Alice, this is my son, Min Ho.  He is an actor and just came back from filming on location in California.”

She looked into his eyes and she realized she wasn’t safe around him at all.  He made a visible move, a step backward when her eyes met his.  He had seen that look before but from caramel colored eyes not sapphire blue eyes.  He did not know how to react.  He bowed and said, “It is a pleasure.  Please have an enjoyable evening.”  He left the room.  He needed to think and he needed to be away from this venue, this hotel and that woman.