At the library

Back to School, Kim Joon Myun

 

That night, I decided to head to the library near Tampines to get some books. Yi Xing walked with me to the library as it was only a stone’s throw away from our condominium. I was sharing my first day experience with Yi Xing and Ting Yi seemed to have left a deep impression on me, I kept mentioning about her. She was the first and only person in the class who actually talked to me. She sat beside me in class as she talked so freely of herself to practically a stranger that she had just met in class a few minutes ago. She was very friendly, maybe a little too friendly. It was a bit over-bearing and annoying, I might get used to it but I would never talk to her, she was always the one talking to me. She never ran out of topics, it was from one story to another. And not forgetting what a dramatic person she is, her reactions are more exaggerated than Baekhyun! She was extremely different from the girls I knew, not that I knew many girls. The girls from rich families were either spoilt or cold, I never talked much to them and they never talked much to me. They would prefer going shopping or clubbing. Some of them were pretty but I never bothered to notice any of them. I was too busy living my own life, I didn’t really care about theirs and neither did them.

“Joon Myun, have you ever thought about dating?” Yi Xing asked.

I replied, “Why the sudden question and no, I’ve never actually cared to think about dating. I’m pretty busy and dating is totally out of the question for me. My parents have said to me before that I would go on blind dates and be in an arranged marriage.”

“WHAT?! And you’re fine with that? Do you even know what love is? Have you even fallen in love with anyone before?” Yi Xing was almost about to shout at me as he was in absolute disbelief. He had his mouth slightly open and his eyes were wider than usual. Yi Xing placed his hand above his heart and patted it, while repeatedly saying, “What about love?”  and “What is love?”.  Sometimes Yi Xing can be dramatic too. I replied, “No, I don’t.”

We had just reached the library and before I went in, Yi Xing said to me, “Maybe you should try dating someday, it’ll be fun!”

Psh, dating? Ain’t nobody got time for that.

I entered the library and Yi Xing had left for his dance class, apparently my assistant was also a dancer. I went up to the 3rd level, which was the adult’s section. There were a wide variety of books, ranging from history books to fictional books. The library was silent as everyone else went about their business reading the books they wanted. I decided to select a few variety of books but there were so little story-based books in the adult section, even if there were, they all had mature themes. I was a bit unsatisfied with my selection of books so I placed most of them all back onto the shelves. I looked at the sign showing the different levels and sections of the library. I saw that they had a ‘young adults’ section, I remember when I was around 16 or 17, I was forced to go to the adults’ section instead of the young adults’ section. However, when I was a bit bolder, I secretly went down a level to the young adults’ section and read the books there. I would secretly borrow the one that I really liked underneath a huge stack of business and science-related books. I decided to go down to the young adults’ section and I’m probably still counted as a ‘young adult’, right?

As I was walking down the stairs, there was a commotion below me. I looked down and saw Ting Yi and another man.

“Just come with me to the young adults’ section, it’s not that bad! It’s the same as the children’s section, Ting Yi!”

“NO Yi Fan! I want to stay in the children’s section, the young adults’ section is scary and I’m way too fabulous to be in there!” Ting Yi screamed, attracting several attention from passer-bys.

I thought that it was absolutely ridiculous that a girl, or a woman, her age, is still going to the children’s section. She wasn’t a five year old, she was 22! She was pulling such a hissy fit, ‘too fabulous to be in there’? She was such a diva, throwing a tantrum like that.

“Shush! Lower down your volume, Wu Ting Yi. Seriously, are you sure you’re 22, NOT a 5 year old child?!”

“I just don’t wanna go in there, you know how much I love the stories in the children’s section. It’s much more interesting than the young adults’ section. Yi Fan, please just let me stay there.” This time, she lowered her voice and whispered to him, she pleaded with him and he replied, “Fine, but you’ve gotta grow up one day, Ting Yi. You know Ge ge will be proud of you if you come to the young adults’ section though.” He looked at her without a smile and stared at her. She avoided his eyes and muttered something before going down another level to the children’s section. He shook his head and went to the young adults’ section. I followed slowly behind Yi Fan and went into the young adults’ section. I kept thinking about Ting Yi and how childish she was. Ironically, I was going one level down whereas she had to go up one level. I couldn’t believe what she said about the stories in the children’s section being more interesting than the young adult’s section. I have long grown up from the children’s section, the stories there were too unrealistic and had no appeal to me and to what I was learning.

After I had looked through a few books, I decided to go down to the first floor to borrow them. I had selected mostly Victorian classics and a few narrative story books. Lately I’ve been more into Victorian classics for somewhat reason. Before I moved to Singapore, I had just finished ‘Little Woman’ and now, I was borrowing a few Jane Austen books. I was looking around the first floor like a lost sheep to borrow my books but I had no idea what to do! I thought to call Yi Xing to ask him but I didn’t want to bother him in his dance class. Then, I decided to approach the information counter since that was clearly the most logical thing to do. Suddenly, I heard a loud wail near the information counter and a voice, that seemed somewhat familiar.

“Don’t cry, little boy. Jie Jie is here to help you!”

I walked over nearer to the information counter and it was Ting Yi and a young boy, that looked 5 or 6. She gave the boy a sweet while she comforted the boy. She quickly turned to the staff at the information counter and said, “I’m sorry but could you make an announcement or something? This boy has lost his father and he ran around the library looking for him. He tripped and dropped his books on the floor, he bruised his knee a bit too but it isn’t bleeding.” The lady nodded and asked the boy his name and his father’s name. Ting Yi stood by the boy’s side and kept comforting him. This was a very different side of Ting Yi that I was seeing, she seemed really kind and compassionate. I was about to turn and leave when I bumped into someone. I quickly bowed and apologized when I saw this tall person, towering over me like a giant. I started to get a bit scared or perhaps I was slightly intimidated by his height. He smiled at me and said, “Are you looking at my sister?” I felt my face flush red and I suddenly felt so embarrassed, did he think I was a creepy person?

“No.” I whispered, while looking down at the floor. I couldn’t let this stranger see me so embarrassed!

He laughed and said, “I’m pretty sure you were, you don’t have to lie. Neither do you have to feel so embarrassed but my sister is not THAT attractive, trust me. I’m Yi Fan, Wu Yi Fan.” He smiled at me again and put his hand out and I shook it, at the same time, introducing myself. He said, “Oh you’re Joon Myun! My sister has been talking a bit about you today besides EXO, but you are…. Ahem, shorter than I imagined. You look the same height as my sister, but no offence, okay? I’m cool with short people, they’re nice people.” I replied, “Ting Yi talks about me?” I was certainly shocked that Ting Yi would actually talk about me, a person she just met today.

Yi Fan nodded and said, “Yeah, but she doesn’t talk a lot about boys she actually meets. She usually babbles on and on about EXO, I think she’s fascinated by you, Joon Myun.” He smirked and looked at me.

“Fascinated by me? But why should she? I’m not that attractive or handsome or captivating, and we just met today at our teaching course.” I couldn’t quite believe that Ting Yi was probably fascinated by me, it just made me feel weird and … I just had to ask ‘why?’.  Yi Fan replied, “Maybe it’s because you’re from South Korea, she never found interest in Singaporean boys, she said they were all the same and very similar to her. She said when she dates, she wants a challenge. But I don’t know, my sister can be quite unpredictable at times. You can talk to her more often and learn about her, she’s quite interesting too.” He winked at me and patted me on the shoulder, he turned and left, leaving me slightly confused.

Was Yi Fan hinting to me something or was he just joking around? What was that wink for anyways? Okay, I admit, I can be quite slow to catch on to certain things sometimes.

I looked back at the counter and saw that the boy had found his father, Ting Yi was at the side, smiling.

"Her smile is nice..." 

I found myself smiling like an idiot, standing at the same position minutes ago. Gosh, why was I such an idiot?! I tried to stop myself from blushing again but I couldn’t. Kim Joon Myun, you are making a fool out of yourself, run away and leave before she can –

“Hi, Joon Myun!” Ting Yi had seen me and waved at me.

Oh goodness, what do I now??

 

 

Ting Yi approached me and I said, “Oh hi, Ting Yi. What a small world…” I tried to smile and she replied, “You like reading books too?” She pointed to my stack of books and before I got a chance to reply, she continued, “Do you even know how to borrow them?” I stayed silent for a while and shook my head, I whispered to her, “Can you help me and teach me how to?” She smiled and nodded, she said, “Of course I will, then who will, am I right? Come on, we have to go to the information counter to get you a library card!”

After Ting Yi got me a library card, she taught me how to use the borrowing machine and we said our goodbyes as she stayed in the library to wait for her brother. I walked home by myself and messaged Yi Xing when I arrived home.

 

 I saw Joon Myun walk out of the library and someone tapped me on the shoulder.

 

Wu Yi Fan.

 

I turned around and said, “Yes?” I raised my eyebrows and he playfully said, “Nothing… I see you’ve met Joon Myun, your Prince Charming.” “I never said he was my Prince Charming, Yi Fan. He’s my friend and it’s EXO who’s my Prince Charming. Get your facts right.” I replied. I always have my sass on with my diva package, like always. However, Yi Fan, who was long used to my sassy diva act, acted unaffected and continues talking, “He’s seems like a nice person and he’s quite handsome.” “And you are saying that he’s boyfriend material?” I asked.

“I’m not implying that but sure, Joon Myun could be your boyfriend. Although you may not exactly be girlfriend material…” Yi Fan said. I stared at him with an angry glare and he raised his hands up and said, “Hey, hey, I was just joking. Wu Ting Yi, don’t give me that glare. Come on, let’s go home. We can talk about Joon Myun later, okay?” I didn’t want to talk back to Yi Fan as it was a library and I didn’t want to make a scene in public. Anyways, I can always get back at him later when we were at home. Yi Fan was the type of older brother to tease and joke around with, but I think he’s really fun to be around and he seems to care about my personal life. Ever since mom and dad died, we only had each other. Yi Fan was only a year older than me but he treated me like his daughter! But now that I think back, I do appreciate it. Now that Yi Fan got me on the topic of Joon Myun, I couldn’t seem to get him out of my head. I wanted to talk to him and know more about him, I want to be friends with him! Even though I talk a lot, I do take notice of things. Like for example, when I talked to him in class, he was only listening to me, he never talked to me and therefore, I don’t know much about him. Usually, people I meet will talk more to me and I know more about them but Joon Myun is different…

I guess I’ll have to embark on this journey of the unknown, called ‘Kim Joon Myun’ and discover this strange ‘species’. I was very curious about him and I will persevere until I get to my goal, like how I forced my drama teacher to get me to be the main lead in a play when I was younger…  

 

 

A.N: Hi everyone, I'm back with another chapter post like I promised!! I hope you don't mind the comedy in this chapter. I'm going to be asking all of you a few questions on my story and try and answer them by commenting below!

1. Is my story development alright? Should I speed it up or slow it down?

2. Do you want more Singlish? 

3. Is it good to have some comedy in my story, especially if it's about Ting Yi?

4. What do you think of Yi Fan, Ting Yi's brother? 

5. What do you think are my strengths (if have) and weaknesses?

Please, please, please answer because I would really love some comments and feedback so I can improve! It's also so that you guys can enjoy the story more and once again, thank you so much for reading, I hope you've enjoyed it! ^^