A New Life {part 2}

Back to School, Kim Joon Myun

 

 

After about 5 hours or more later, I had arrived in Singapore. I my phone and saw that I had 4 messages. From Changmin, Kyungsoo, Baekhyun and my father.

 

From: Changmin

Hi Joon Myun, hope you have arrived safe in Singapore. Do your family proud and do well in the teaching course!

 

From: Kyungsoo

Hi Joon Myun. ^^ I hope you’ve arrived in Singapore safely. Baekkie and I are supporting you back in Seoul. If you need a shoulder to lean on or a listening ear, video chat with us or call us. We’ll be there! :)

 

From: Baekkie

Hey Joon Myun!! ^^ Hope you’re in Singapore all safe and sound.  We’ll miss you, be the best teacher you can and FIGHTING!! :D

I was a bit reluctant to open my father’s message and at the same time, I was slightly scared of what he would say to me. However, I opened the message and read it.

 

From: Father

My instructions have been sent to your email and even though you are in Singapore now, just know that I’ll be watching you.

 

The message sent chills down my spine and looked around the area, thinking my father was actually there. How it could it be possible that my father was watching me? He was in Seoul, right? I quickly went to check my email and it was Secretary Kang that sent me his instructions instead.

I was told to look out for a man with a sign showing ‘Joon Myun’ and I was to follow him. He was the man that would bring me to my apartment and settle everything with me, including where I was going to be carrying out my teacher’s course at. The email was very detailed but to put it simply, my credit card bills, my apartment, my course fee and more, were all covered by my parents. I guess I was glad that they were still willing to support me financially. There were still many things to settle before I started my teaching course on Monday.

When I had collected my suitcases from the convertible belts, I started to look out for the man as my father had instructed me to. I had to crane my neck and tip-toe in order to see the man. He raised his right hand and waved to me, smiling. I walked towards him, the man looked around my age and he had black hair and he had deep dimples when he smiled at me. I shook his hand and greeted him. He greeted me back and said, “Hello Joon Myun, my name is Zhang Yi Xing. I will be accompanying you and showing you around Singapore. I’m not a tour guide though, but I’ll give you all the information you are required to know and your father has also bought you a car, that has been parked in the car park of your apartment. I will give you all the details and information in the car.” My father said that Yi Xing was supposed to be my temporary assistant to help me out with the first few months in Singapore.

I asked him, “What do I call you by, Mr. Zhang, or by your first name?”

He replied, “Of course you can call me Yi Xing, you know we’re actually the same age? But I think you’re older than me by a few months. You don’t really need to use honorabilities or be formal with me, since you’re older. This is Singapore, so the culture here is a bit different from Korea. You’ll learn about the culture here eventually and adapt quickly, it’s not too bad, really!” He smiled at me again, showing his dimples and it felt assuring to me. I really hope that I don’t get a culture shock, I don’t know Singapore’s culture very well, to be honest and I’m very curious to find out. It was also hard to believe that Yi Xing was the same age as me, it was more relaxing and more comfortable if I drop the formalities.

We walked to the airport’s car park and Yi Xing and I got into his car, he drove to my apartment’s location. He said that we would settle all the business at my apartment. Apparently, according to Yi Xing, he would be my assistant as long as I wanted to and his salary was paid by my father per month. He would be staying in the same building as me, but he would live in a separate apartment. During the car ride, I didn’t talk much to Yi Xing. I’m sure my father hired Yi Xing to watch my performance as a teacher in Singapore, I was quite suspicious and scared of Yi Xing, was my father really watching me? I decided to stare outside the window and try to ignore Yi Xing. The car ride was silent and Yi Xing asked, “Why are you suddenly so quiet, Joon Myun? Are you scared of me or something?”

How the hell did he read my mind?

I didn’t know how to respond, what if he was the one watching me?

I remained quiet and Yi Xing frowned, as he said, “Look, I’m your assistant and I’ve been hired to help you, not to scare you or intimidate or whatever. You can trust me alright, it’s not like I’m some hired spy or assassinator, believe me, I am the worst person at lying! You shouldn’t have to put your guard up all the time around others, you can be yourself here. So stop being so scared, okay?!” He laughed and used his left hand to pat my shoulder, while keeping an eye on the road.

Yi Xing was right, my father was probably using the ‘I’m watching you’ to threaten me, I’m sure he doesn’t care much about my existence. I really hope I can learn to put my guard down too, like Yi Xing said. It’s a whole new life and I should be more secure and trust people, like a more ‘real’ person. I wanted to leave my past and my fake mask behind in Seoul.  I wanted to create history as the real Kim Joon Myun, even if I wasn’t a singer or a performer. I think I can do it.

Maybe…

If my father really wasn’t watching me…

But I’m probably still scared of the judgment, the possible stares that people will give you, they all still intimidate me, even without the pressure of being the son of the Kim family. I guess I was used to being so prim, proper, classy and fake, but I will try to overcome this. I really wanted to prove myself to my father. I read a few books here and there about these problems I have and I would have to ask Yi Xing soon where the nearest book store or library was.

We reached the building of my apartment and Yi Xing and I were living on the 10th floor. It was a condominium with several facilities but I was most excited to see how my apartment looked like. The building looked fairly new and it was well-designed. Yi Xing was talking to me about the condominium and my apartment, the neighborhood and the places nearby, while I listened attentively. We entered the lift and went up to the 10th floor. When we finally reached my apartment, Yi Xing handed me the key and said, “I have a spare key with me but please don’t lose yours. If you really lose it one day, you can come knocking on my door, or you can call me, I’ll come and open the door for you.” I was a bit bothered that Yi Xing had a spare key, it meant he could just come into my apartment anytime, but he said he could be trusted. I’m sure he would keep the spare key well for me, after all, he was my assistant. I nodded and opened the door with the key. The apartment was quite nice, it was well-furnished with a living room, bathroom, kitchen, bedroom and even a guest room! I placed my suitcases down and walked around the area. Yi Xing said, “The movers will be moving the rest of your stuff in tomorrow morning, so just unpack your bags and go out for dinner. I could help you pack but I’m sure you’d prefer to do that yourself. You can come over to my apartment at around 7:30pm for dinner, I’m cooking!”

Since I probably had no idea where to go for dinner, I agreed to go over to Yi Xing’s house to eat dinner. It was really nice of him to offer to cook dinner for me, he was a very friendly and able assistant! Yi Xing nodded and went to his apartment, leaving me to unpack my suitcases myself. I went into the bedroom and there was a queen-sized bed, with a table and a chair. There was an empty shelf and a wardrobe. There were also a few drawers and a bedside table. I took out my suitcases and started to unpack all my clothes.

After 2 hours of unpacking, I was really tired and I lied on my bed to rest. It was only 6pm and Yi Xing was obviously not done with cooking dinner. I walked to the kitchen and found absolutely nothing in the fridge. I decided to write down all the necessary items I needed and get Yi Xing to buy them for me. He said that he would introduce me to the area after dinner and take me for a drive around the area to get me familiar with it. Like Seoul, Singapore had buses but they also had trains, called ‘MRT’. They also had taxis like in Seoul, but it’s not like I’d use the other transportations when I can use my car. This neighbor was called Tampines and it was quite near to where the teaching course was, according to Yi Xing. Singapore was a small country, so it was easy to get around places and it wouldn’t take a very long time to drive to places.

I also decided to email Baekhyun and Kyungsoo to talk to them, also to arrange when we could video chat. I wanted it to be consistent and I wanted to know when exactly I could video chat with them.

 

To: Baekkie and Kyungsoo

Hi, it’s Joon Myun! :) I am in Singapore now and I just finished unpacking, I’m so tired!! >_<  How are you guys doing? I hope your training was good and don’t tire yourselves out too much, please eat your vitamins!! I don’t think I have to keep nagging, I’m sure your parents do a better job at that than me. When can we video chat?? I think I can probably video chat tomorrow, it’s a Sunday, but are you guys busy? I know you two are both busy being future superstars but I hope we can have a fixed time to video chat. Once a month, maybe? :)

Please reply ASAP, I miss both of you already… ^^

From, Joon Myun.

 

I sent the email to Baekhyun and Kyungsoo and closed the window. It was 7pm, only 30 minutes until I can finally eat! I’m actually really hungry and I didn’t eat much of a lunch on the airplane. I decided to walk around my apartment for a while, exploring all the rooms in detail, wondering where I would put everything.

Soon, it was 7:30pm and I headed to Yi Xing’s apartment, which was conveniently next to mine. During dinner, we discussed about my teaching course and the moving of my stuff, I told Yi Xing about the necessary items that I needed to fill my fridge and my bathroom. He said, “Tonight, I’ll introduce you to the neighborhood and we’ll buy your stuff at the same time.”

I quietly listened to Yi Xing talk while I ate, how was his cooking so good?

 

 

 

A.N: Hi there, I'm so sorry it's been really terrible, right? Please comment and don't be a silent reader!! I need input and feedback to improve!! ^^ this chapter was a tad too boring, in my opinion, but I had to fill in a bit of the gaps. I'll be skipping the drive and the movers moving in his stuff because I REALLY want to introduce the female lead next and I'm sure everyone has been waiting for her to appear. I've been somewhat really tired lately, I think I need to exercise more. :p AND NO SULAY WAS INTENDED IN MAKING OF THIS FANFIC. But I didn't say you couldn't ship them together ;) haha, ok goodbye!! See you tomorrow maybe? :) Thanks for reading and please subscribe if you want to. I'm entering one of my one-shots, 'At the Coffeehouse', into a contest, go check it out and tell me what you think of it! :)