Friends

In my Veins

Ari’s POV

 

Bae told me to meet him by the YG building since Ji was touring Japan. He was coming back in 2 days and I met with Bae to set everything up. After giving me a bone crushing hug and kissing my forehead he just gave me the keys of Ji’s apartment. He didn’t even utter a single word. No “hi” or “hello”.

 

“Have you gone mute? And…I’m not sure if it’s such a good idea to meet him at his place.

He might have company…or be tired.” I said, feeling very unsure about what I was supposed to do.

 

“It is just good to see you Ari…it left me speechless how much you have changed, how healthy you look now. And don’t you worry about getting into his apartment. I know he’ll go straight there since he’ll want some alone time, and you need to have him somewhere he can’t run away. I saw him try to forget about you with other girls and failed…I just want to see him happy like he used to be.” He smiled at me, and the smile reassured me that I was doing the right thing.

 

Alrightly then. Lady balls, Ari, grow them.

 

 

I was fidgeting...I knew that. I also felt cold sweat trickle down my back. Jesus, Ari, he won't kill you.

I was just scared of messing this up. What if, despite of what the boys told me, he had moved on, and I stayed behind, stuck in the past?

Now, I wasn't sitting in the dark, drinking whisky with a gun in my lap, but I knew that I would definitely surprise him by being here.

Just as I wanted to call Bae and ask if he was sure Ji would come, I heard doors opening. I listened carefully trying to hear if he was alone or not. Only his footsteps...good.

But then...but then I heard he was talking on the phone.

“I know baby, I know. I miss you too. Yeah, I'll eat, okay sweetie, gotta go. By-“ He abruptly stopped talking as he saw me.

I on the other hand just sat there, my face in utter shock. Okay, so he had a girlfriend. . How do I get out of this situation? Yeah…I was just hanging here. Good to see you, gotta go.  That would totally look believable, riiight...

I regained control of my face and tried a small smile. I bit my lip as I saw him end the call, and put the phone gently on the table beside him.

He was silent, probably wondering how to approach this situation, this mess, I created. I on the other hand just watched him. 3 years passed, and to me he only looked better. The army gave him even more muscle, but it didn’t take away from the boyish charm he radiated with.

His hair, a purplish black color, looked just the way I liked it. Like he just got out of bed after a night of making love. But I could also see that he was tired, probably from the long flight and shows, and his chocolate eyes weren’t smiling at me. They seemed…sad, distant. Now, I knew what the boys had been saying how he was different now.

“Sorry for showing up like this. They boys told me that if I wanted to talk to you, I would have to find you, and that this was probably the best way. I know it’s creepy…sorry.” I said, with a guilty smile, relaxing a bit when I saw a warm smile spread across his face.

“The boys?” He asked, shaking his head in disbelief.

“Ri and Bae.” I guiltily admitted.

“I should have known. Ari…” He started saying but suddenly stopped, his eyes scanning my body.

I blushed, not sure if he liked what he saw…if it even mattered.

“Yes?” I asked, my voice barely louder than a whisper.

“You kept your promise…good. You look healthy, I’m glad.” He replied, his eyes searching mine as he crossed the room in long strides.

It took me a moment to realize which promise he referred to, and then I realized that he made me promise I would live. But how didn’t he get that I only wanted to live if he was next to me?

He stopped in front of me, and looked down, his eyes finally smiling.

“I missed you.” I blurted out, and quickly covered my mouth when I realized what I said.

He his full lips, like they were suddenly dry.

“I…missed you too. But, things can’t be like they used to be. I-I can’t be the person you need me to be. Plus...I have a girlfriend now.” He replied, his voice barely above a whisper.

“It-it’s okay. Maybe we can just try to be friends?” I asked, trying to contain the tears.

“Sure.” He smiled widely.

No. I don’t want to be friends…but between that and not seeing you, I’ll choose the lesser evil. I left soon after and he promised that he would see me tomorrow for coffee.

Only when I got into my room did I start crying.

 

Ji’s POV

The doors closed behind her and I sat on the couch, feeling my heart race. God, she was so beautiful. I couldn’t describe how happy I was to see her, to see that she was doing okay. And God, I missed her so much. I missed her laugh, her lips, her witty comments that would always make me laugh, I missed her in my life.

And I saw when her heart broke when I told her things couldn’t be like they used to be. I hated myself for doing that, and truth to be told I wanted nothing more but to be with her…but I couldn’t give her what she needed.

With Ri being the only member in the army, we were very busy with comebacks and preparing for the album. It would take another year for him to come back from the army, but I knew that I would be busy the whole year. I couldn’t be with Ari and do my job. She wasn’t in this world, she wasn’t used to netizens and crazy schedules, and I couldn’t bear to hurt her because of what I do for a living

I just hoped being friends was enough to keep her in my life.

 

 

A/N I like happy endings, don’t worry :D