Chapter 14

Not Yet Broken

Hey there! Boy, California is not what I remembered it to be. Though I will say living in an actual house is better than living in a dorm or apartment. Anywho, I missed you guys! Thank you so much for 200+ subscribers! Never really thought that many people would read this. This coming Friday I'll be doing a double update so look out for that and yeah, pretty much it. I hope you guys enjoy this semi-long chapter ;)


A month or so has passed and the winter isn't as cold as it used to be. Some men are brave enough to wear shorts and some women dare to wear dresses in the early morning. With a coffee in one hand and their phones in the other, they walk in confidence, not caring about the world around them.

Jessica and I have gotten pretty close after the course of four weeks. On the days Sunny couldn't see me, Jessica somehow managed to. During one conversation, she told me that I needed a phone because "Pay Phones are outdated." And "One day I may get stranded and have no one to call."

She also considered the fact that I needed a television. No I didn't already have one and I never really thought of buying one before. Today, though, Jessica was taking me to an electronic store to buy some items she deemed "Necessary for daily life."

I'll be honest with you, since I'm sure you can understand me, lately I've been feeling...giddy around Jessica. As you probably realized, she's sort of touchy feely. The constant contact always makes my face burn up and her words of encouragement always send me soaring. She compliments me on occasion about little things she notices. Just last week she mentioned how cute it was when I crinkled my nose every time something bad happened in whatever book I was reading. I always feel some type of way when she says things like that.

It's also made me more self-conscious about the things I do. When Jessica's around, I try not to be so introverted; I try not to be so clumsy about the words that come out of my mouth. I try really hard and I bet she notices.

"Taeyeon!" I heard from outside. Time to do some shopping.

I get my bag and shove a random book into it. Maybe while I'm at the store, I can buy some more shelves. Books are scattered throughout the floor and if Jessica... I mean anyone comes inside, they'd think I'm some unorganized pig.

I meet Jessica outside and she smiles at me from inside her car.

"You ready to buy a tv?" She says as I get into the vehicle.

"I could do without one, but I think it'd be nice to be outside." 

She laughs. "See, you're getting more sociable as the days go by."

-

We arrive at a tall building. I wonder where we are.

"So, we'll just do some window shopping and then head up to the third level and get you a phone and a brand new television." Jessica said excitedly.

"Where are we exactly?" I asked.

She stopped unbuckling her seat belt and stared at me.

"...Well?"

"You've never been to a mall before?" She retorted.

So that's where we are.

I quickly nod my head. "O-oh yeah, plenty of times when I was younger. I was forced to come unfortunately, but yeah of course I've been to a mall." No, no, Taeyeon, go ahead, ramble on some more. I'm sure Jessica thinks it's-

"Cute." Jessica says.

"H-huh?" I say as my face heats up.

She shakes her head. "Let’s get going."

I only nod in response. Note to self: don't do that ever again.

-

The first store we go to is quite luxurious. There are bags out displayed on top of glass boxes and inside are watches. All of this must cost a fortune.

"See anything you like?" Jessica asked.

I looked at her in surprise. "Why?" I replied.

"Well, if I'm not wrong, a friend of mine is right over there ready to shove one of these bags down her pants." She nodded over to a far corner of the store.

I looked over and noticed a woman looking around suspiciously.

"Wouldn't she get caught?"

"Serves her right." Jessica said. "She's been stealing her whole life."

"I think we should stop her, Jessica."

She sighed. "If you insist." Walking calmly, Jessica neared the corner of the store and spoke rather loudly. "Hello random person I do not know. I see you have taken a liking to this very expensive bag and wondered if you planned on buying it."

I saw the woman whisper something. The whole store stared at the two; one woman even clutched her bag a little tighter.

Jessica came back with the woman and we left the shop together.

"What the actual hell was that about, Jung."

"I expected a thank you."

"I had that bag in the palm of my hand. Just a few more seconds and-"

"You would've been put behind bars. Honestly, Luna, you need to move back in with your parents. The theft life isn't for you."

Luna scoffed. "My dad would rip me a new one if he saw me again."

"You look different, Luna." I said.

Both Jessica and Luna turned to look at me.

"I know you." Luna said. "Tae something, right?"

"Taeyeon." Jessica replied.

"Yeah that. Dude, we've been looking for you since you left the apartment."

I only nodded.

"We've been busy, haven't we Taeyeon." Jessica smiled.

I just nodded again.

Luna laughed. "I can imagine. Where are you guys headed to?"

"Jessica's going to buy me a phone and a television."

Luna looked at me strangely. "You don't already have those things?"

I shook my head.

"You're invited to come as long as you don't steal anything." Jessica commented.

"How else am I going to pay my rent?"

Jessica stopped and shoved Luna to the side. "You apply for a job, idiot."

I chuckled. I'm going to have to ask about Jessica's relationship with her.

-

"What do you think about a flat screen, Tae?"

I glanced at the television and crinkled my nose. "Isn't it too...flat?"

"That's the point, Taeyeon. You could even place it on the wall."

I shook my head. "It's not for me."

"Why don't you buy a box tv?" Luna suggested while shoving something into her pocket.

"Luna, hand it over." Jessica said sternly.

"Hand what over?"

"Don't you dare play games with me."

Luna rolled her eyes and reluctantly gave up a pair of earphones.

"Do you not have earphones, Luna?" I asked.

"I do but I was planning on giving them to someone as a gift."

Jessica snorted. "Krystal would punch you in the throat for taking these."

"Well at least I care enough about her to get her things. Unlike some people."

Jessica dropped the earphones and grabbed Luna by the collar. Not this again.

"Guys!" I semi shouted.

"Listen here you no good rat, I care about my sister more than anyone in the world could."

"Jessica." I said cautiously.

"Then why don't you believe her, huh? Why don't you trust your own sister! Could it be that you're still hurt about Tiffany liking her more than you." Luna retorted.

"Luna." Please don't punch each other. Please don't punch each other. Please don't punch each other.

"I'm going to murder you!" Jessica threw Luna to the ground.

"Ladies, what's going on here!?" A security guard came and held onto Jessica.

He looked at me. "What happened?"

"It's... it’s kind of hard to explain."

"I'm going to kill you in your sleep!" Jessica exclaimed.

"Ma’am, you know you can get arrested for saying that."

"The only person who deserves to be arrested is that damned thief!" Jessica struggled against the tall man.

"Well I obviously struck a nerve. Why don't you take her out on a date or something, Taeyeon? Let her cool down."

My face heated up. I nodded and grabbed Jessica by the wrist. She stopped struggling and looked at me.

"Let's go. Please?" I tried my best to not look scared.

She nodded, staying totally silent.

"Should I the two of you out?" The security guard asked.

"Uh..." People will stare at you two like you stole something. "No! No, that won't be necessary." I rushed out of the store with Jessica trailing behind.

"S-should we buy the phone now?" I waited for an answer. I turned around to see if Jessica was alright and when I did, she was staring down at my hand on her wrist. She was smiling.

I quickly let go. "J-Jessica?"

She looked up. "Let's get you a phone then."

-

I stared at a phone that happened to just come out. Thin, long, and plastic looking. Were these really considered phones?

"What about this one. It came out like, three years ago but it definitely does everything that new model does. Cheap too." Jessica pointed out the electronic.

It had a good look to it. Sort of thick, short, and metallic looking. I'd consider that a phone.

"I think I'll take that one."

Jessica smiled, taking out something from her pocket. "Great, now we can be twins." She had the same phone.

I only giggled and bit my lip. The more time I spend with Jessica, the more the world seems like a better place. She makes me feel things I've never felt before. It's almost like I'm-

"Now that you've got a phone, we can hang out more often. Plus, you can read books without having to bring one with you everywhere."

I nodded and yawned.

Jessica laughed. "Shall I take you home?"

Embarrassed, I nodded slowly.

We began walking towards the parking lot. On the way, Jessica bought half a dozen sweet buns. Only then did I realize that I hadn't eaten anything. Why was it that whenever I was with Jessica, nothing else seems to matter except for her? Not society, not the world, not even me.

"Hey, Taeyeon." Jessica stopped in front of her car.

"Hm?" I faced her.

She looked down, smiled, and looked back at me. "Was your dad a baker?"

I took a bite of one of the buns I had in my hands. "No, why do you ask?"

"Because...you..." She sighed. "Never mind, forget I even asked."

"Okay?" What was that about?

-

We arrived at my place. It seemed awfully quiet.

"This might be rude to ask, but do you think I can stay over?" Jessica asked.

"Why? Is it unsafe to drive at night or something?" Why'd you question her you dummy? Friends let friends stay over without reason.

"No, is nothing like that. It's just my car is almost outta gas. I don't think this er will last a trip to a gas station."

"Y-yeah, you can stay here." Good job.

As I got out of the vehicle, I saw a box near my door.

"Was that there when we left?" Jessica questioned.

I neared the box and stared at it suspiciously. "No..."

"Want me to open it?" I nodded. "Right, stand back a little."

Slowly, she opened the top flaps of the box. "I think it's a tv."

I went over to have a look for myself. It looked like the old television my parents had in our living room.

"Let's bring it inside."

-

Jessica and I placed the box in my living room and tore it apart. There was definitely no way we could pick up the tv so destroying the box itself was the smartest thing.

"It's from Jonghyun."

"What?"

Jessica showed me her phone. "Jonghyun texted me just now."

"How did he know about me getting a tv?"

"I told him about our trip today. Apparently he bought it at a yard sale. Says the family was selling piles and piles of books. You would've loved it."

I was speechless. There's no way...no way this could be it. I mean, it looks brand new. And I bet if I look for the sticker of a heart at the bottom of the left side...it won't be there.

...So why is it there? Why are they giving away our...their things? Why don't they consider the fact that this television means something? Because it only meant something to you. No! Jiwoong and I used to watch cartoons together. My brother would always imitate the characters on screen. It meant something for him too!

So why didn't he fight for it? And the piles of books, I'm almost positive their grandpa's old journals and grandma's cook books. Why are they doing this?

"Tae?"

They're heartless; they couldn't care less about the value of something. They couldn't care less about family.

"Taeyeon."

They couldn't care less about Jiwoong.

"Hey, Taeyeon."

...They couldn't care less about me.

"Taeyeon!"

I jumped at the tone of her voice.

"What's wrong? Tell me what's wrong?"

I didn't realize I had tears running down my face. I didn't realize I had my hands in a tight fist. I didn't realize that I'd been breathing quite heavily.

"Taeyeon, please, talk to me." She whispered, putting her hands on my shoulders and placed her forehead onto mine.

Time froze and all I could think about was how close Jessica's face was to mine. This is what friends do, though, isn't it? They comfort each other like this. The way I feel when I'm with her, it's because our friendship is just that strong. I feel like she can be the only person I could ever talk to for the rest of my life because we've gotten close and not because I'm...

"Let's go to bed, yeah?" Jessica said softly.

I don't say anything. I don't even look at her. I can't.

"Hey, you'll be fine. You just need some sleep. Come on, lead the way to your room."

"I... I think I'll just sleep on the couch."

"What? No, Tae, it's your house. I'll sleep on the couch; you go on and get ready for bed. Just tell me where the blankets are and I'll be set."

I hesitated, not knowing whether or not I should insist on giving her my bed. Given the fact that she can be stubborn, I gave in and pointed out the closet where the blankets were.

Jessica smiled, said good night and pushed me in the direction of my room.

I dragged myself over to my room and plopped on the mattress. I was angry...alright maybe less angry and more disappointed with the fact that my parents haven't changed. They could've at least tried to be better parents for my brother’s sake.

There was a knock on my door. I sat up and quickly opened it.

"Uh..." Jessica was there, both hands behind her back.

"Is there something wrong?"

She bit her lip and before I knew it, she got on her tiptoes and placed a quick kiss on my forehead. Needless to say, I was stunned.

"I just...when Tiff-Krystal had nightmares... I'd usually do that. She slept better."

I still said nothing.

"Sorry, I'll go back to the couch. Goodnight."

I stayed in place for a few minutes before closing the door and sliding down to sit on the floor. Was this really happening? Did she really just... And did I really like it?

Of course I did. Friends enjoy things other friends do for them...or to them. Friends, we're friends. The best of friends. I like her as a friend.

Why are you lying to yourself?