Chapter 9

Not Yet Broken

Back with another update. Thank you guys so much for 19 upvotes and for all the subscribers! Also, a special thank you to Catsba for promoting this fic a little bit. It's great to have support coming from such awesome writers. So, with that being said, I hope you enjoy this chapter :)


As Jonghyun painted I was reading the book I got from Sunny's shop. It was good; the first chapter was strong, although I didn't understand a few things. After a few more moments, Jonghyun got up and excused himself. I thought about following him but then again that might have been pretty strange on my part.

As I waited for him a pair of men came up to me. "Hey, are you new?" One of them spoke.

"Yeah, we've never seen someone like you before?" The other said.

What the hell am I going to do? I can't ignore them, that'd just make me seem rude but I can't just talk to them either. I mean, I could but I can't I... I can't.

"I-I don't..."

They both laughed. "What, cat got your tongue?"

"N-no, I j-just..."

"How do you know Jonghyun? You his girlfriend or something?"

I stayed silent. I wanted to cry so badly.

The taller of the two smiled. "You honestly don't look like you belong here. Why don't we show you where the math department is." He put his hand on my shoulder and I jerk instantly. I probably shouldn't have done that, since I caused Jonghyun’s canvas to drop.

"Hey!" The three of us turned to see Jonghyun standing near the door.

I couldn't take anymore. I didn't want to be near them. Any of them. I grabbed whatever belongings of mine were near me and made a dash for it.

"No, wait. Taeyeon, please wait!" Jonghyun shouted. It was no use. I wasn't going to turn back.

I ran for a minute before I bumped into some one. It was Simon.

"What's wrong with you!" He screamed. "Do you know how hard I worked on that piece?"

I didn't say anything. I couldn't. I was breathing heavily and I could tell I looked troubled since Simon's voice softened.

"Are, are you ok?" He asked.

It took me a few seconds before I shook my head. My head was spinning. People were walking past up. They looked at me, I could hear their whispers. 'Is she ok?' 'Why is Simon with her?' 'What happened?'

I wanted to leave. I need to leave.

Suddenly, Simon grabbed my wrist. I looked at him in surprise.

"Don't just stand there, let's get you someplace quiet."

Jessica knew him. Jessica knew him. Jessica knew him.

I allowed him to drag me to wherever this quiet place was. Embarrassingly, my legs were shaking, almost causing me to fall.

"Oh, come on." Simon whined. "You better not pass out or something." He put my arm around his shoulder and quickly walked me to his car.

I thought twice about entering, but gave up trying to think logically and focused on not feeling like the world was coming down on me.

He placed me into the passenger side and kneeled down. "Do you need anything? Water, food, I don't know, a goddamn cigarette? Talk to me." He said hastily.

"I-I need..." Jessica. "Sunny! I need Sunny!"

Simon looked at me strangely. "Who the hell is Sunny?"

I shook my head. "Can you just drive me somewhere... Please?"

He immediately got into the driver’s seat and started the engine. "I hope you know your directions."

 

I told him how to get to Sunny's bookshop. The drive was silent for the most part and I tried my hardest not to have a breakdown in front of Simon. I couldn't embarrass myself any longer.

"Is this the place?" He asked. I nodded quickly and exited the vehicle, slamming the passenger door rather harshly.

"Hey!" Simon shouted. I bowed clumsily and ran into the shop. As usual, no one was really there, so I yelled for Sunny.

"Sunny! Please, I have to see you!" Not even a second passed before she appeared from the back of the store.

"What's wron-oof!" I didn't give her time to finish before I dashed up to her, holding onto her as if my life depended on it.

I cried, I let myself breakdown. All the emotions and adrenaline from earlier crashed and I was glad that it happened here. A place where I feel safe other than my own home. A place where I know somebody who can make me feel important again.

"Taeyeon, what happened? Who hurt you?" She said demandingly.

I only shook my head as my sobbing got worse.

"Shh, take it easy. You're fine now. You're going to be okay. Just tell me what happened." Sunny my back and held my head, comforting me more than she'd ever know.

I calmed myself down after a while and explained to her what had happened prior to the situation.

"When Jonghyun left, these guys came up to and started asking me things."

"Like what?" Sunny said, protectively.

"Who I was, what was I doing there. They even asked if I was Jonghyun's girlfriend."

Sunny eyed me curiously. "Are you?"

"N-no! That's insane." Me, dating Jonghyun? As if he'd ever want someone like me.

Sunny chuckled. "Now, tell me what they did that made you feel so bad."

I got nervous. If I told her what happened next, she'd most likely be on her way to give those two guys a tattoo of her fist on their faces. If I didn't, she'd feel like I didn't trust her enough and I don't want her to think that's the case.

"W-well..." Am I going to tell her?

"Well?"

"You see..." Oh God, I'm going to tell her?

"Spit it out already."

"One of them t-told me that I d-didn't look like I b-belonged." Oh crap, I told her.

She stayed quiet, as if she knew there was a little more to that.

"Then, he put his hand on my shoulder and told me he'd show me to the math department."

Unexpectedly, Sunny giggled.

"What?" I asked. What was funny about this?

"N-nothing. Anything else?" She said as she wiped any extra tears she saw.

"Uh, not really. I bumped into a boy, his name is Simon, and he drove me here." I explained.

"Next time you plan on visiting that school, take me with you. I'll make sure those idiots learn never to lay a hand on you again."

"It's not like they had bad intentions" I argued. "They just gave me quite a scare."

"You're defending these dudes?"

"No! I'm just saying... I don't even know what I'm trying to say." I sighed.

"Wow, you had a rough day now didn't you?"

I nodded. She patted my back and smiled. "You know, if I didn't know you, I'd probably think you would be from the math department too."

I pouted and snuffled "I don't even like math."

Sunny laughed and intertwined her hand with mine. "I don't get you sometimes, Taeyeon. You can be crying like a maniac one minute and be all cute and stuff the next. Now, how about I take you home."

I smiled and nodded.

 

"Hey, can I tell you something?"

I looked to Sunny. We were in front of my home. The drive over here was fun, to say the least. Sunny sang along to the radio and laughed when I looked confused. I really do enjoy the times when we're together.

"Sure." I say.

"It's just that I kinda miss you. You haven't been to shop at all recently and it gets pretty lonely. You're like my best friend, so I'd like to see you more often, even if you only come to scold me about drinking and not always opening the store on time."

Sunny missed me. She considered me her best friend. She wants me around. The fact that someone, even if it was Sunny, wanted me around and wanted me to be a part of their daily life almost canceled out the bad that happened today. Almost.

"I promise." I said beamingly.

She smiled. "Alright then, off you go."

"Bye, Sunny." I jogged straight to my front door. I felt different. A good kind of different, don't get me wrong, but it was a new feeling for me. Before I got to open my door, I noticed a book on the floor. It was Ulysses.

I picked it up and examined it, noticing a paper in it. I read it aloud

"Jonghyun said this was yours. I told Jessica what happened earlier. She gave me directions to your house so that I could check up on you but you're probably with Sunshine or whatever. I hope you're not dead or something."

It was Simon. I felt like laughing. From the way he acted earlier and the way he wrote this note, I concluded that he had a hard time being around people. Sort of like if he was never pleasant with people.

Once I entered my home, the men's words from earlier began to attack me.

'You don't look like you belong here.'

'You don't look like you belong here.'

'You don't look like you belong here.'

'You don't belong here.'

I shook my head and let myself fall onto the floor. This was going to be a long night.