Chapter 7

Not Yet Broken

I really wish I could go back to school. Then I'd have some time to write some more for this story but hey, what can you do right. Anyways, I'll try and update as soon as I can next time around. Thank you to everyone who has been reading this fic and I hope you guys enjoy this chapter :)


I woke up and felt a bit warm. I stared at the white ceiling trying to remember where I was. As I start to sit up the door opened.

"Just lie back down if you want. Everyone left." It was Jessica. She didn't look so happy from what little of her face I saw. When ever the others talked to me, I instinctively looked towards their nose. I think it was a good habit to pick up.

"W-where did they go." I half mumbled.

"Jonghyun thought you passed out from not eating so they all went out to get something to eat." She replied. She held a glass of water in one hand and a towel in the other.

I nodded and stared down at the bed sheets. Jessica climbed onto the bed and tapped on my leg. I raised my head.

"Why did you agree to come here. Do you know how dangerous that could've been? You barley even know Jonghyun. He could've been a serial killer for all you knew."

"I don't know you well either." I said.

"Wha.... I guess you don't."

Why did I say that? Now she probably hates me. I'm so stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Jessica sighed. “Please don't do something like this again. You're lucky Jonghyun isn't some psycho."

I nodded and studied Jessica for a moment. She was looking towards the door. How did she know Jonghyun? Where he lived, what he was like. Were they childhood friends, did they bump into each other at the supermarket and instantly clicked?

There was a noise beyond the door that startled us both. Jessica stood up and handed me the glass of water and towel.

"I'll tell them you woke up but that you need time. Give me a minute." She left the room in a hurry.

I got off the bed and placed the drink and towel on the floor. The carpet was the whitest color I've ever seen. I looked around the room and noticed a canvas near a corner of the room. It was blank and bright due to the light of the sun seeping through the window blinds. I walked to it and allowed my fingers to slide on the smooth surface. On a small table below the canvas were chalk like utensils. Each one used and darker than the other. I grab one and play with it in my hand.

I decide to be an artist for a minute and begin to draw random things. The color is weird and it's almost like substance itself won't stay onto the surface.

I hear a light knock on the door and drop my hands to my sides. Jessica entered with a small smile. If I didn't look away so quickly, I'd probably notice the surprised look she had when she saw the canvas.

"Feeling any better?"

"Y-yeah, I'm good." I said all too quickly and quietly.

"That's good." I just nodded.

I continued my little drawings. It seemed my only focus at this point was the now used canvas.

I think a few minutes of silence went by before Jessica spoke again.

"You're, uh... You need a different canvas for that."

"What?"

She pointed at the canvas. "Charcoal doesn't work as well with a smooth canvas." She got up and dug under the bed.

"Here." She set up the new surface. "Try shading a circle." I drew said shape and smeared the charcoal. She was right.

"See, way easier."

"Thank you." I said I'm return.

"So... When did you meet Jonghyun?"

"Monday." I said, not really thinking about it.

"Right. He said he met you in the park. That true?"

"Yes." I replied. I was so concentrated on my drawing that I didn't have time to carefully think about each answer I gave.

And Jessica noticed. "What's your favorite hobby?"

"Don't really have one." I replied.

"Favorite food?"

"I like all types of food."

I heard her chuckle when the door abruptly opened.

"Hey! Are you feeling better?"

I feel like I looked like a deer caught in headlights.

"Jonghyun!" Jessica hissed.

"What? I just wanted to check up on her."

"She's fine." Jessica said harshly.

"Well I didn't know that now did I?" Jonghyun said with just as much fierceness.

"C-can I go home now?"

They both looked towards me and I put my head down. "I'm tired and I'd like to return home."

"Tae, you don't need to ask permission to go to your home." Jessica said softly.

"Yeah, she's right. I'm sorry we couldn't have fun today. It was my fault bringing you here." Jonghyun spoke.

"It's fine." I said.

They both left the room. It felt less crowded and made me feel more comfortable. I took a sip of water from the glass cup Jessica gave me and recomposed myself. I looked out the window and saw as the sun was only now setting.

I walked towards the door and heard voices from out in the hallway.

"You should take her home. I'm sure she wouldn't want to walk all the way to her home."

"No, you should take her. I've been terrible today. It'd be one less thing I'd mess up."

"You could make it up to her that way."

"We'll let her choose."

I opened the door and was met by both Jessica and Jonghyun.

"You all set?" Jessica asked. I only nodded and looked down.

"So, who'd you like to take you home? We can't let you go by yourself." Jonghyun said.

"Personally, I think Hyun here should take you. It's only right he returns his guests safely home." Jessica suggested.

"And I think it's only right that my personal servant do such a thing for me. I have to go somewhere anyway."

"For the last time I'm not your servant. You're a terrible date by the way."

Jonghyun groaned. "Geez, this wasn't a date we were just going to hang out!" He shook his head and turned to me. "It was nice seeing you again Taeyeon. I'm sorry things went the way they did. I hope we can see each other again under better circumstances." He patted my shoulder and left.

"I guess we should get going then, huh?" Jessica said.

"Yeah."

 

We were on the way to my house and by then the moon had appeared. Everyone had said their goodbyes to me back at Jonghyuns apartment. They were eating various dishes and singing different tunes. It just made me wonder how they all knew each other and just how close everyone was with one another.

"Have you ever been in a car before?" Jessica asked.

"Yes. Many times."

"Sorry if it was a dumb question. It's just a little too quiet."

"I'm sorry." I just want to get home already.

"Don't apologize, Taeyeon. Not everything's your fault."

I felt like asking her what Jonghyun meant by his "own personal servant" when he suggested Jessica take me home, so I did.

"Why did Jonghyun call you...his servant?"

Jessica laughed lightly. "I'm his apprentice. I'm supposed to listen to and follow the rules and orders he gives me."

"H-how are you his apprentice?"

"Long story, but I'll give you a short version. Jonghyun’s this child prodigy. He's so good at art; the school we attend almost begged him to be a teacher. He declined but instead decided to be a teacher’s aide. Jonghyun thought of a program to help aspiring artists and chose me to be his first student."

"He's older than you?" I asked.

Jessica shook her head. "It's kind of embarrassing honestly, but I'm learning from the best so it must count for something."

I nodded my head and looked out the window. To my surprise, we were nearly there.

"Make a left into those trees." I said.

"You gotta pee or something?"

"What? N-no no, that's where I l-live."

"You live in a tree?"

"No!" I said louder than I wanted to. "Just, please make the turn. And be careful."

"Alright, alright."

 

"Woah..." Jessica said.

She parked a few feet away from the cottage. I exited the car and made my way up the small steps.

"What, no goodbye or thank you?"

I turned and bowed to her. "T-thank you, for everything. Good night." I went to unlock my front door.

"Wait!" I sighed and turned back around.

"When can I see you again?"

I was taken aback. Did she really want to talk to me again? To me?

"Uh..."

"Look, you were right. You barley know me, but I'd like to change that. I know your shy and all but another friend wouldn't hurt you right?"

I didn't feel the smile that formed on my face but even if I did I'd do nothing to stop it. "Y-yeah!" I said with too much excitement.

Jessica laughed. "So, when can I see you again, Tae."

"Uh, I'm usually in the park during the week. Reading of course, but I'm there."

"Sounds good. I'll see you during noon or something."

"A-alright." I said happily. She laughed again and waved goodbye.

As she drove off I quickly unlocked my front door and as I entered my home I slammed the door shut. As much as I'd like to admit that half of today didn't go well at all, I can admit that the rest went better than I'd ever dreamed it could have been.

But something I did notice was that Jessica was more responsible than Jonghyun. She at least gave me a time of when she’d meet me, that is, if she was serious about wanting to see me again. The more I thought about it, the more pessimistic my views became.

Wanting nothing more than to fall asleep in the comfort of my own bed, I turned off the lights and plopped myself onto the mattress. I didn’t even bother to change into something comfortable.