Chapter 15

Not Yet Broken

Woah, so I'm in my maneger's office. Today was busier than I hoped so I'll only be able to post a chapter up at the moment. Apologies if this seems rushed, I'll be sure to edit and update with another chapter as soon as I get home...and take a long nap. Hope you guys enjoy this chapter :)


 

"Sunny, what's it like to be in love?"

Sunny was restocking shelves with books and magazines. "I don't know really. I've never really fallen in love before. Why the question?"

I sighed. "Just wondering."

Two nights ago, Jessica stayed over at my house. Two nights ago, Jessica slept on my couch. Two nights ago, Jessica made me think of things I'd never thought of before.

Jessica and I haven't known each other for long, but somehow she managed to make me question who I was. Sure, I've always battled with my identity, but it was more of a social thing. Right now, I'm wondering who I really am in different terms.

By myself, I'm awkward, quiet, and lonely. With Jessica, I was a bit more comfortable, a bit more talkative, I felt like I wasn't some sort of outcast. Why was it that with Sunny I didn't feel this way? I've known Sunny longer, yet, the feelings I get with Jessica don't arise with her.

"Are you feeling good? Looks like your about to pass out."

"Yeah... I'm fine."

Sunny walked up to me. "Great, then you can explain to me why a handsome man came into my shop a few weeks ago."

I widened my eyes. "Wh-what did he look like?"

She smirked. "Dark hair, brown eyes, and the best jawline I've ever seen on a man."

"Oh, h-him. His name is Simon."

"Simon?"

I nodded. "He got into some trouble and asked for directions here. Simon was the one who dropped me off that day when my anxiety acted up."

Sunny ruffled her hair and smiled. "Well if you ever see him again tell him to stop by. It was pretty cool seeing an attractive person look around."

I raised an eyebrow. "Am I not attractive?"

"An attractive male." Sunny said mockingly.

I smiled. "I think I'll be seeing him today."

"Really?"

"Yeah, I actually wanted to pay someone he knows a visit."

Sunny nodded and patted my head. "Off you go then, child."

"I'm older than you." I pouted.

"By a couple of months. I'm still an inch or two taller than you."

"No fair."

-

If I wait until Jessica comes and talks to me, it'll seem like I don't want anything to do with her anymore. If I go to Jessica now, it'll seem like I'm desperate.

Desperate how exactly?

I don't know! I just don't want to be clingy.

Again, how exactly?

Ugh, I have to go. She probably thinks I hate her or something.

I see a taxi driving by and quickly hailed it.

"Hello, where'd you need to go?"

Did I really not know the name of Jessica's school? "U-uh...do you know where the nearest art school is?"

"Yeah, it's about five blocks from here."

"Can you take me there?"

The man driving the cab smiled. "Of course."

He looked young. His default facial expression was serious but calm.

"Are you applying for an art major?" He asked.

"N-no, I'm just going to visit a friend."

"Cool, my brother goes to that school. He's in his last year."

I smiled. "He must be happy."

The young man only nodded. "He must be. He acts like he's not excited, but I can tell he is."

"Good for him."

"What's your name?"

I looked at him. "Taeyeon."

"Nice to meet you, I'm Sehun."

-

We arrived at the art school and I exited the vehicle. I was going to pay for the ride but Sehun insisted that it was on him. He commented that it was a thing he did for new friends.

I found it odd how you could consider someone a friend in such short time. Sehun seemed like a good person, though, so who knows. Maybe he has the abilities to make friends fast.

I found myself roaming the halls of the school. It wasn't artsy looking at all. There were cracks on the pavement and the buildings looked like they would collapse at any given moment.

"Taeyeon!"

I turned around and saw Jonghyun exiting a classroom. I waved at him.

"Long time no see! Did you like the television I got you?"

"Yes, thank you for that." Oh right, he's the one who bought it.

"It was nothing. Jessica mentioned you needed a tv so I thought why not get you a classic. You seen the type to like antiques and stuff."

"Can I ask you something?"

He nodded his head.

"What else were they selling at that yard sale?"

"A lot, actually. They even had a bed set, mattress and everything. A few kitchen things, some garden tools, and this huge painting of Alexander the Great, which I obviously bought."

 "Did you?" I mumbled.

He nodded. “They had a few others but I didn’t have much room in my car."

They're getting rid of the memories of those who are no longer in their lives. My parents are forgetting about me, yet I don't feel as angry as I should be.

"I hear you got a phone." Jonghyun said.

"Yeah, Jessica got me one just like hers."

He laughed. "The best friends got matching phones I see. Next thing you know the both of you will wear matching clothes."

Best friends, huh? Can I call Jessica a best friend knowing how I feel about her might be something else.

"Here, let me put my number in. You can call whenever you need something...or someone."

"Someone?" I questioned.

"Yeah," He said as he added his contact information. "Just in case."

"S-sure. Do you know where she is now actually?"

"Don't you have her number?"

"I do, but I wanted to surprise her."

"She's down this hall to the left. She asked Mr. Choi to let her stay and finish a piece she was working on."

I smiled. "Thank you, Jonghyun."

"Before you go."

"Hm?"

Jonghyun put his hands in his pockets. "Next week, there's going to be a jazz band performing at a cafe around here. Would you like to come with me?"

"U-uh..." Is he serious? I'm being asked out on a date. Or he just wants to hang out. Yeah that's probably it. "I'll think about it." I said quickly.

"Cool. I'll see you later, Taeyeon."

-

I peeked into the classroom and found Jessica staring at the canvas in front of her. She seemed to be deep in her thoughts. Peaceful, the only word to fit the environment.

"Hey." I said, walking slowly towards her.

She turned her head quickly. "T-Taeyeon!"

I smiled. "Jessica."

She wiped her hands on her clothes. "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to see you. See how you were."

"Y-you could've texted me."

I looked at the canvas. "I thought talking to you in person would be better."

"Taeyeon..."

To the average person, the canvas would seem like it was splattered with paint just for the sole purpose of calling it "art". To me, Jessica was trying to say something.

"What does this mean?" I asked.

"It's just what I'm feeling. T-the brighter colors overlapping the darker ones just signify that under every bright and happy thing lay something dark and depressing...if that makes sense."

It somehow did. "Have you been working on this long?"

"No, it's makeup work. My inspiration's been crappy for a while now so I can't create new original pieces, which in turn means my grade ."

I just nodded. Do artists really lose inspiration for long? Someone like Jessica can't be failing art. Have you even seen her work before today? Good point.

"I'm sorry for what I did that day." Jessica said.

"Don't-"

"I'm serious. It was wrong of me to catch you off guard like that."

"... I didn't hate it, Jessica."

She looked down. "You didn't?"

"No." I said softly. I reached for her hand and held on to it tightly. "So... don't be sorry."

This, I must say, has been the second bravest thing I've done. That's saying something.