Chapter 3

Not Yet Broken

I apologize for my absence. Finals were right around the corner and I decided to take a month studying for them. During studies, though, I did revise and rewrite many chapters for this story. I admit, I'm quite the perfectionist but I don't tend to write perfect material so that . Anyways, I'm back and I do hope that you enjoy this chapter :)


It took me three weeks to have an actual conversation with Sunny. During my first visit, she greeted me and asked if I was finding everything ok. I left before she could finish her question. She'd repeat her actions every time I visited, so it was inevitable that I would become somewhat close to her. As I got to know her, I felt accepted and I was the happiest person on the planet. 
Now that I must go out into the real world, I feel like the worst person to ever exist and know I'll be looked down upon by someone. 
I arrive at park close by. When Sunny had mentioned 'the park nearby' I had no clue as to where 'nearby' was. So I spent twenty minutes looking for it when in reality it was only three minutes behind Sunny's shop. 
If I could compare my feelings towards this discovery to anything I've felt before, I'd say I felt the exact same way I did when I found out that Simon was killed by the boys in 'Lord of the Flies'. 


I quickly searched for a bench. When I found one, I parked my bike to the side and sat down on the wooden plank. I took in the scenery and was amazed. The wind had picked up slightly. People were walking all around. Some with their dogs, and others in pairs of two. A small lake was a few yards from where I stood and there were three men fishing. I see no one looking my way, except for a small girl who smiled at me. I tried so hard to copy her expression, but I failed and instantly felt bad.

I guess I really do need to get out more, even if it is only to read. I tie my hair in a partially decent bun and take out the self-improvement book and determine whether I should read it or not. After pondering the idea for a moment, I put it back into my bag, and pull out my favorite novel.

I'm five pages in before I hear a ruckus across from me. "To hell with this ." The stranger cursed as they took a seat on the bench in front of me. It was a blonde who had happened to be carrying a rather large…sketchbook? I believe she was an artist of some sort.

Her hair was blowing into her face and I couldn't help but think that she was what one of the characters in a horror novel I had read not too long ago looked like. 
I returned my focus to my book. Five minutes seem to pass by when the noise around me faded. I then heard the woman gasp a loud ‘wow’ and I immediately looked up. Unfortunately, she had been staring at me. I say unfortunately because after the quick eye-contact we had made, she opened her sketchbook and began to drabble on it rather quickly. I really didn’t feel like being someone’s art piece, so I focused back on my book in hopes that she would just leave in a little while.

We’d been sitting there for what felt like an eternity before she walked towards me. Note, during all this time, I’d been praying to all the gods in the world that I wouldn’t have an episode and cause the girl in front of me to think I was a freak. I tried to stay as calm as I could and reminded myself of earlier when no one paid me any mind. It had helped me for a moment, and then I found myself on the verge of hyperventilation. 

“Meet me here tomorrow. Same time.” She said, walking very fast to wherever she was going. I noticed that I’d been holding my breath, and before I suffocated I exhaled heavily. This had been enough ‘outside reading’ for one day, so I put my book back into my bag and left the park after calming my breathing patterns. 

 

Before I got home, I thought I'd go and pay a visit to someone I'd consider a mentor, Mr. Park. He was the one who kept the cottage company after the passing of my grandfather. Mr. Park had come into my life during the eighth grade. He and my grandfather had apparently been close friends since childhood. Almost every day he would come to pick me up from school, seeing as how both my parents worked until the early evening. 
When I entered high school, he became my rock, someone I could go to for advice without having to receive a scolding. Bullying was present during the last two years of my education. I remember once I came home on the verge of tears because a group of teens had harassed me about my 'anti-social' ways. I went to Mr. Park and cried on his shoulder. After my little scene, he told me "Those who've never put themselves in others’ shoes will never get along with the rest of the world.” I took his statement with a grain of salt and acted as though I was all better.

I was in front of his home, watching as he watered his small garden. “Hello, uncle.” I called out. Over time he grew accustom to the title of ‘uncle’.
He turned to look at me and smiled warmly. “Why, hello there. You’ve grown quite a lot haven’t you?”
“It hasn’t been so long, uncle. I haven’t grown an inch.”
He chuckled lightly. “Maybe not an inch, but possibly a centimeter. A millimeter even.” 
I shook my head and gave him a small smile. “So much optimism you have.”
“The better to see the world with, my dear.”
I kept the grin on my face and waved to him. “I’ll be on my way now, uncle. I’ll drop by again soon.”
“The sooner the better, Taeyeon. Be safe!” 
 

Once I arrived, I entered my home and dropped everything I had on me. I didn’t even bother to close the front door. I was exhausted, mentally exhausted and I just really felt like taking a nap. Before I did, though, I went searching for a scented candle in a box next to the tiny couch I had. There was a variety of candles that I received during the holidays when I was living with my parents. 
Today I chose the vanilla scented one since I haven’t tried it yet. My favorite aroma had been mint for the longest time. After lighting the candle and setting it on a nightstand near a window, I plopped myself onto the furniture. I shut my eyes for a few minutes before feeling a harsh breeze enter through the window. I would close it shut had it not been for my extreme laziness but I soon fell asleep.