Chapter 11

Not Yet Broken

 This chapter may seem... wierd, but only because I'm getting back into the groove of things. I'm thinking of updating a couple more chapters later today so please be on the look out for them. It's only fair really. Thank you to those still reading this. It's been one heck of a month but a certain christmas miracle gave me the push I needed to update again. I hope you guys enjoy this chapter :)


“And I told him to find another teacher because I was not gonna put up with his tardiness.” Jonghyun explained.

Earlier today I met Jonghyun at the park. We talked for a bit about our day and he went on to ask if I would like to spend the day together. I thought it to be a good idea, but had I known that’d he’d be complaining about past  students he’s taught, I would’ve politely said no. It was getting annoying really, him going off on a rant. I’d rather go home and read a dictionary.

“Hey, Taeyeon, what do you think about love at first sight?”

I did not expect that question.

“W-what do you mean?”

Jonghyun laughed. “I mean exactly what you heard Do you believe in the whole 'wow-that-person-right-there-is-so-beautiful-I’m-already-in-love-with-them' shtick?”

“I-I can’t s-say that I do.” I need to work on my stuttering.

“Yeah me too. I mean I want to, but I’m not really sure yet.”

“You s-saw someone and t-thought that?” Just stop talking, Taeyeon.

“Yeah, I thought she was beautiful but I’m not one hundred percent sure I’m in love with her. I have to get to know her better since I only recently met her.”

…Ok continue talking. “R-really? “ Without stuttering. “Who is she?”

Jonghyun smiled. “I’d like to keep that a secret. At least until I figure out if this is just a stupid crush or not.”

I nodded ad kept quiet. Is it me? Are you stupid? Who on earth would like you? Plus he said beautiful not… whatever you are!  Point taken. Who the hell would ever fall in love with me?

“Hey, look! Jessica!” Jonghyun shouted.

What if it’s Jessica that he’s talking about. She said herself that they don’t know each other well enough to be friends. She’s beautiful too, just like Jonghyun said. Really, really, really beautifu-

“Taeyeon!”

I jumped and realized who was calling me.

“Hey, Tae.” Jessica smiled.

“H-hi.” May whatever higher power there is strike me now.

“Simon, long time no see!” Jonghyun pointed out Simon’s presence.

Simon looked agitated, like if the ending of a book didn’t go the way he wanted.

“What are you guys doing here?” Jessica asked.

“I ran into Taeyeon earlier and decided we should hang out.”

“Oh, is that so?” She looked at me and I gave her a weak nod.

‘Why don’t we all go and grab something to eat? It’ll be like a double date. I call dibs on Taeyeon!” Jonghyun exclaimed as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder.

“W-what?” You can call dibs on people? I thought that only applied to books!

“First of all,” Jessica said as she pushed Jonghyun away from me. “You can’t just call dibs on human beings. Second, I can’t go your stupid double date. My sister’s being put in a hospital and I’m going to help her adjust.”

“How is you sister?” I asked.

She smiled. “Better than I thought.”

“Wait, you have a sister?” Jonghyun questioned.

She frowned. “What’s it matter to you.” She said as she began to walk away.

“It matters a lot actually. I’d like to know something about my pupil’s life.” Jonghyun followed after her.

 “Put a sock in it.” Jessica marched on angrily.

Jonghyun stopped in his tracks and turned back, standing next to Simon.

“Are you really leaving me here?!” Simon shouted to Jessica. She raised both hands as if to say ‘not my problem.'

Jonghyun nudged Simon playfully. "?"

"Get away from me." Simon scoffed, walking in my direction. "Let's go." Simon said as he passed me.

"Oh...right." I followed him.

"Are you guys forgetting someone?!" Jonghyun yelled.

I smiled and kept walking. He can be funny, even when he doesn't mean to be.

 

 

 

We stopped at a pizza place two blocks down from the park. Simon said he'd paid for my plate to which Jonghyun whined loudly and, I may be wrong, but I swear I heard him mumble 'She was my date.'

We sat at a table near the counter. Jonghyun was in the middle where I assume is a usual spot for him.

"Did you know Jessica had a sister?"

"Of course I did."

"When did she tell you, Taeyeon?"

I looked to Jonghyun. "Not too long ago."

"Why am I out of the loop?"

Simon scoffed. "She doesn't trust you, obviously. Do you really think she'd confide in her stupid art teacher about her private life?"

"I'm not her art teacher and I don't get how she even trusts you when you're the one who outed your own brother."

And suddenly, Jonghyun was on the floor while Simon hovered over him. I quickly got off from my seat and stepped away from them.

"Don't you ever call him my brother. He's just some orphan my dad got along with his new wife. I hear you relating me to him again and it'll be your head." Simon walked out, enraged at what transpired. He stopped at the entrance and looked at me. "I'm sorry." He said and left quickly.

I ran to Jonghyun, making sure he was alright.

"Well I pushed the wrong buttons didn't I?"

"You can still joke around when you just got beaten down?" I asked softly.

"It was my fault. Can I ask you for a favor?"

I nodded slowly.

"Take him somewhere quiet."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "I-I don't even know where he went."

Jonghyun got up. "But I do. He's at the parking lot down the street. Jessica always finds him there."

I have to ask what the relation between Jessica and Simon is. "Is Simon that important to Jessica?"

Jonghyun smiled. "They've known each other for about two years. At least, that's what I've heard. I don't know how they're so close and knowing both of them they'll never tell me."

I just nodded again.

Jonghyun sighed and sat back onto his seat. "Why don't you check up on him? I'm sure he'll tell you. If he sees me now he'll punch my face in for sure."

"A-are you sure he wouldn't do the same to me?" I was trying to be funny.

"He'd never hurt you. I'd kill him if he did."

I said nothing. Maybe it wasn't Jessica that he was talking about earlier.

"Please check on him. I'd hate for Jessica to have to deal with this."

"Yeah...I'll go." I said without thinking.

He waved and walked out of the small restaurant. Who are these people? In all honesty, I feel like I'm in some sort of soap opera.

You have to check on Simon. Help Jessica out.

I walked to where Simon supposedly was. It was a huge parking lot. There were rows of cars as far as the eye could see. I sighed and thought of how in the world I'd find him. Seconds went by before a car pulled up to me.

"Take me to that place I drove you to before."

I didn't respond. Simon wasn't looking at me, instead he looked straight ahead.

"I'll go if you're just going to stand there."

I quickly got into the vehicle.

"How do we get there?"

"I-I think y-you need to take a right once we leave the lot. Then it's all straight from there..."

Why does he want to go to Sunny's shop?

 

 

We arrived at the book store and, surprisingly, Simon smiled.

"You're friend owns this place?"

I nodded. "I...I met her here actually."

He hummed and got out of the car. “Why don’t you head home or something?”

I closed the car door and stared at him strangely. “Why should I do that?”

He groaned. “Listen, I know Jonghyun told you to make sure I didn’t kill myself or whatever.”

“He didn’t say that.”

“No, but he did tell you to make sure I was fine didn’t he?” I nodded. “Well, I’m not injured and I’m in a public place so chances of me getting an arm torn off or my legs getting smashed on purpose are very slim. So go, read some comic books or whatever ever it is you read.”

I still wasn’t convinced. He seemed like the type of guy who’d say one thing and then do another.

“She’s at the hospital nearby our art school. If you take a bus, I’m pretty sure you’ll make it in less than fifteen minutes.”

“W-who?”

“Jessica. Tell her I said I was fine and that I still don’t understand why she bothers with Jonghyun.” Simon walked towards me. “Here, that should be enough.” He handed me some money along with a note.

“What’s this?” I held the piece of paper up.

“That’s the room number her sister’s staying in. Pretty sure she’s there.”

“How convenient.” I mumbled. I bowed to him, to which he responded with a head nod, and I left to find the nearest bus stop.

I felt weird talking to Simon just now. He was so... relaxed. Thirty minutes before he was furious and now he seemed care-free. Was he bipolar?

Coincidently, it only took a minute for the bus to arrive and, continuing the lucky streak, it was headed towards the hospital. The world works in mysterious ways. Now if only I had such luck when looking for new books to read, then I’d be content.