Chapter 2

Not Yet Broken

Just a quick thank you to those who commented, subscribed, and gave the story 2 up votes. Thank you very much. I hope you enjoy this chapter (:


Most would say that Sunday is just a horrible reminder that a new week was to start soon and so was work or school. For me it was a reminder that a certain bookstore is to open early today and that I wouldn't have to worry about contact with strangers. Its hell on earth anytime I have to go out and buy food or other sundries. I always get the feeling that people around me are judging every move I make, every object I buy, and every breath I take.

I've never thought of myself as anti-social. I always dream about having more than one friend, it's just that I have trouble getting over the fact that most people won't like me for who I am. Nerdy, lazy, always wanting to read, never wanting to leave home, all these crazy traits mixed up into one person. Mixed up into me.

As I think about it, I remember another reason as to why Sunday is my favorite day. When I was younger, maybe at the age of six, my grandfather would come in the very early morning to my old home with a brand new book. My grandparents cared very much about me. If not for my brothers birth, I would've been their favorite grandchild. They told me themselves. Being their eldest grandchild, when they passed, I had received most of their inheritance. This very home was included. 

On the last Sunday that my grandfather had ever visited me on, he had told me that the cottage he'd built would one day belong to me. It would not be in the will, but he would have someone protect the house and keep it in good shape so that one day when I was older, I could live in it. He had also given me enough money to live off of for a couple of years. I was very grateful. I loved my grandparents, and I knew they were in a better place. 

It's about five-thirty when I decide that brushing my hair wasn't a must and that I could just put a hoodie on. I keep my pajama shorts on (something I know I'll regret) and slide my feet into a pair of flip-flops. I grab my bag from off the floor and make my way out the door. 

My way of traveling is still in the form of a bicycle and it is the same bicycle that was given to me all those years ago that gets me to where I want to go. I'd rather not spend my money on a car when I wouldn't use at all. 

I’m at the bookstore before I know it and enter the small building after parking and locking my bike. It was six-ten and slightly chilly for it to be summer. Normally there would be joggers on Sunday, but I guess today was a lazy day. I quickly walk to fiction section of the shop and rummage through the books. I’ve pretty much read all the titles there are in this genre, but it wouldn’t hurt to search for one I haven’t.

“Tell me, when are you going to come during normal hours?” said a voice from above. I knew who it belonged to, but I still felt the urge to look up. It was the owner of the shop, Lee Sunkyu who’d prefer to go by the name ‘Sunny’ for one reason or another. She was short, but I’d say I was a bit taller. One thing that bothered me about her was the fact that her hair never stayed one color. One Sunday it would be pink, the next it would be a light blue, then blonde, and then back to pink.

"You know I don't do normal." I reply. 

"One day your going to have to. Normal people are still in bed."

"You're awake."

Sunny scoffed "I own a damn bookshop, I have to wake up early. That's a normal thing to do for people who work on weekends."

I sigh and stand up, “All this talk about ‘normal’ is getting irritating.”

Sunny smiled, shaking her head. “You didn’t eat, did you?”

I stared at her, tilting my head a little to the side. “No, why?”

She nodded her head over to a table by the front of the store. “You’re not getting irritated. You’re just hungry.” I follow behind her, checking the time on my wrist-watch. Six twenty-six. It’s still a bit too early for regular people to be looking around for a good read…isn’t it?

"I'm irritated because I haven't eaten. Same difference" I said. 

“Here, some oatmeal.” Sunny handed me a small plastic bowl and spoon. I looked at the so-called meal in disgust. It looked soggy and wrong.

“It's fine, Taeyeon. It won’t kill you.” I hesitate before I take a spoonful from the bowl and shove the oatmeal into my mouth. I chew the food and little by little, my taste buds accept the dish as somewhat tasty. As I finish, Sunny chuckles and leans over the table to pat my shoulder.

“See, perfectly fine. Oh, and I got something for ya.” She jogs to the back of the cashiers post and grabs a wrapped item. So comes back over to me and hands me the item. “I saw this the other day and thought you could use it.”

I look at the package for a few seconds before taking it and quickly tear apart the newspaper wrapped around it. I was ecstatic to see that it was a book, but my enthusiasm fell immediately once I read the title. “30 Lessons for Living” I read aloud. My eyes detach themselves from the book to look up at Sunny who was standing with a shy smile on her face. I an eyebrow up, giving her a hint to begin explaining her self.

“Look, let's be honest here. All you ever do besides eat, sleep and bathe is to wake up at five, ride your bike here, buy a book or two, go home, and repeat that process every week. Aren’t you getting tired of that crap?”

I try and avoid the question by bringing up a different one. “Why do I need help from someone I've never met?” Sunny shook her head.

“It doesn’t matter who you’re getting help from. The point is to get you to break out of this dumb shell you’ve had ever since I met you.”

I stand up, setting the book on the table. “I don’t need to break out of any shell you think I’m in. I like the way my life is now.”

“Taeyeon, don’t you see that the way you’re living now will get you to die alone later on in life?”

I stared at her, hurt very noticeable in my eyes. “I won’t die alone.” I stated.  

Sunny crossed her arms. “Really, and why’s that?” She said as she got up as well. 

“Didn't you say you'd be there for me a while ago, or are you just going to abandon me?" I say with frustration. 

She let both her arms limp to either side of her and sighed. “You know I’d never abandon you, but that’s not what I’m talking about.” I look down at the white marble floor beneath us.

“I know, I just don’t really feel like talking about it.” I say in a hushed tone. "I'm sorry I got mad. I really am." I added quickly. I notice Sunny reach for the book on the table. She places it against my chest.

“It's ok, but can you at least promise me that you’ll read the damned thing? Not at home either. Go to the park nearby later today.” I could see her eagerness to get me out into the world. I figured that this could be some kind of favor I owed her for sticking by me for as long as she had.

“Okay, but I’m going right now.” She looked at me with a look of disappointment. Right as she was about to speak I cut her off. “Baby steps, Sunkyu, baby steps.”

She lightly punched my shoulder. “I told you not to call me that.”

“You tell me many things, doesn’t mean I listen.” I shrugged.

“Hey, I’m serious though, go out and read instead of being at home all day.” Its times like this I wish she wasn’t so caring, if one could call this ‘being caring’.

I only nodded in response, promising her that this task would be completed. I left with no goodbye. I start to feel a sort of anxiety take over me and I regret taking on this challenge. If we’re being honest, I’d rather cycle my way off a cliff than to be in public. Then again if we’re being totally honest, I’d rather not disappoint the only friend I have. Yes, I consider Sunny a friend. I'd like to think she feels the same. 

I start to notice my surroundings and watch as very few people walk past me, not bothering to take a quick glance. This gives me some confidence and I decide to go through with this whole read-outside-where-everyone-can-see-you thing. Baby steps. I remind myself. We’re taking baby steps.

 A small breeze brushes against my body. I shiver and take a quick look down. I knew I was going to regret wearing shorts.