Chapter 8

Not Yet Broken

I feel like this should be like a filler chapter, but that's besides the point. Good news! I got promoted at my job so I make my own schedule now. I finally have some time to make sure updates are as good as they can be. Also, thank you very much for the 10 upvotes. I hope you guys enjoy this chapter :)


I woke up pretty early today. It looked like a nice day and the cold seeping into the room felt right.

For one reason or another I thought it'd be a good idea to visit Sunny today. It's been a while since I've last spoken to her. I wondered how she was doing and what she was up to. Had she missed me?

I gathered my things and walked my usual route. I thought about many things and about one person in particular. I thought about if I'd ever see them again. Questioned whether they'd really want to be my friend at one point or another and I honesty did hope so.

When I got to the shop, I saw Sunny sitting outside, a beer in one hand and bat in the other. What in the world happened?

I quickly walked over to her. "Sunny?"

"What." She said.

"W-what are you doing?"

"I'm waiting for someone." Her face looked determined to destroy whoever did her wrong. I've never seen a look like that in my life.

"Who exactly?" I said as I took a seat next to her.

"A dude came in yesterday saying that if I didn't close this place down he'd personally take care of things."

"Can't you call the cops instead?"

She scoffed. "They wouldn't do a damned thing."

I sighed. "What's the beer for?"

"I have a better aim when I'm buzzed. Want one?"

I shook my head. It was seven in the morning and here Sunny was, drinking her time away. "Aren't you scared that he'd hurt you or something?"

"That idiot wouldn't have the guts to come near me."

"Not when you have that bat in your hands."

"Exactly." She held the beer can up. "Cheers."

I nodded as she took a sip. "Is the store open?"

"Yup." She replied instantly.

"Can I look for some books?"

"Knock yourself out."

 

Read this one. Read this one. Read this one.

I guess I really have read everything there is to read in here. From 'The Hunger Games' to 'If You Give a Mouse a Cookie', I've read it all.

Read this one. Read this one. What's this one?

'Ulysses'

Well here's a book I've never read before. I don't even bother to skim through the book or even read the summary at the back. I just take it straight to Sunny.

"Hey, I'm going to borrow this one."

"Alright. Oh, how was the book I gave you?"

You mean the book I never read? "Uh, it was really...informative. The first sentence really hooked me in."

"Yeah? I'm glad. See you later Taeyeon. I think tough guy finally showed up."

"R-right. Good luck."

"See ya." Sunny waved to me as I left.

I thought about walking straight home but remembered that I might be able to see swine again today and honestly, I really hoped I did.

"Taeyeon!" Well that's not the voice I wanted to hear.

"Jonghyun, slow down!" That’s the one I wanted to hear.

Jonghyun approached me and almost went for a hug before immediately putting his arms to his sides. "Sorry, I kind forgot about the whole shy thing."

"He forgets about anything that's not important to him." Jessica said nearing is slowly.

"It is important to me!" He shouted. Jessica put her hands up as she mumbled 'alright, alright'.

"Anyways, it's nice to see you again. I honestly thought it'd be a while before we'd meet again."

I just smiled, not looking at him. People thought of me. Jonghyun really wanted to see me again. I feel so amazing knowing that.

"What Hyun here failed to mention is that we have class like in twenty minutes so..." Jessica said.

"Don't worry about that. I'm sure our teacher won't mind."

"And why is that?" Jessica crossed her arms.

Jonghyun mimicked the action. "Well I do happen to be the aide of the class. I'll just say I needed help with some materials and had you carry a couple canvases. Easy."

Jessica scoffed. "Well you're being awfully nice today aren't you."

"Anything for my pupil. Taeyeon, why don't you come with us? It'd be cool to show off my stuff to someone not in the art department."

I was going to decline when Jessica spoke.

"Yeah, you should come. We could hang out after class. That is, if you want to."

I smiled and nodded. I could get to know Jessica better, and Jonghyun too. Art classes are supposed to be a peaceful environment anyways, so it would be a comfortable place to be.

"Great, why don't you two go ahead without me. I'll buy some coffee to soften the head honcho up a bit." Jonghyun said.

"I thought Mr. Choi wouldn't mind us being late. With you being the aide and all." Jessica mocked.

"I never said he'd be in a good mood because of it. I'll see you guys in a bit." Jonghyun then ran off.

Jessica rolled her eyes and smiled. "Let's go. I'm sure you'll love the art you're going to see."

 

So when I said that stuff about an art class being quiet and peaceful, I pretty much imagined something out of some book I read long ago. Never did I picture an art class that was located at some high class university to be noisy and just really insanely wild.

Of course, the 'insanely wild' part is exaggerated, but the atmosphere in this place is a bit too lively for my liking. There are more people here than there were in my art class in high school. Canvases are almost touching each other and students have almost no room to walk around.

"You alright?" I turned and faced Jessica. She looked worried and that's the last thing I wanted her to do. I don't want to worry her with my dumb insecurities.

"Y-yeah, I-I'm fine." That didn't sound confident at all.

"Don't freak out. It'll only be like this for a few more minutes. Once Choi gets here and gives us our lesson, everyone will be outta here." Jessica set up her canvas and signaled me to sit on a stool next to her.

"Where is your teacher anyway?" I asked.

"Right there." She pointed to the door.

Mr. Choi was a tall man. He had a comb over and was dressed somewhat formal. Different from what I imagined an art teacher to look like but I found his appearance quite pleasant.

"Alright, guys, today will be a free day. As long as you turn in a complete canvas by the end of class, I'll give you full credit. But, if I can tell that you half-assed this assignment I'll personally see to it that you be suspended from this class for at least a week."

The class groaned and Jessica just sighed. Was art really that hard, or were the students just really lazy?

"Tough crap, deal with it. Any questions?" Mr. Choi asked.

"Yeah, how do you take your coffee?"

I looked to the door and saw Jonghyun with a tray full of coffee cups.

"Is this why you were late, Jonghyun?" Mr. Choi looked pretty ticked off.

"Pretty much. I thought you could use a cup considering all the work you have today. The line just got too big and, well, I had to wait."

Mr. Choi sighed and took a cup. "Don't let this happen again. To the rest of you, go get the assignment done."

And just like that, almost everyone had dashed out the class room.

Jonghyun approached me and Jessica.

"Coffee?" He asked me.

"No, thank you."

Then, another man came up to the three of us.

"Jessica, want to work on the assignment together?" He said.

"Sure, sounds good. Uh, Taeyeon, this is Simon. This is his last year of school."

We bowed to each other and they both left, leaving me and Jonghyun by ourselves.

"So, would you like to see me paint something?"

I only nodded and watched him gather the materials he would need.

Something in me was telling me I should've joined Jessica.

At least now I know that Jonghyun really wanted to be my friend.