Chapter 12

Not Yet Broken

Short but sort of informative I hope. I'll be back with the next update in a bit. A little fact about Krystal's role in this story, I based her illness on a close friend of mine in real life. Not everything of course, but some things. I just felt like her disease needed to be known a bit more. Just some backstory on why I write the things I do I guess. Hope you enjoy this chapter :)


I stared at the huge building. What was I going to say? Jonghyun and Simon got into a fight and Simon left, then Jonghyun told me to check up on him and I did but Simon said he wanted to go to my friends bookshop and then he told me to come here to tell you that he was fine and to ask why you still bothered with Jonghyun… is this even real life?

I entered the hospital and, surprisingly, headed straight towards the front desk. I didn’t realize I did this until the man working the front desk asked “Appointment or Urgent Care?”

“Uh…” First of all, hospitals aren’t my thing; I’ve read one too many murder/mystery books to know what goes on in places like this. Second, my people skills are still being worked on.

He stared at me blankly. “Are you okay, ma’am?”

I shook my head quickly and handed him the note Simon gave me. “I n-need to f-find this room!”

His eyes stayed on me for a little longer before he read the paper. “Right, you’re headed to our Mental Health facility. You’ll take the elevator up to level thirteen. Though, I am suspicious as to why you’re headed to room 918?”

I took the note from him. “I-I need to see a friend. Thank you!” I squealed, bowing to the man before I made my way towards the elevator. Why am I headed to room 918? I mean I know it’s to tell Jessica that Simon was fine, but why me?

I pressed a button with the number thirteen on it.

Simon could have easily told Jessica himself. Was he mad at her for leaving? This would’ve been the perfect time for him to get an apology if that were the case. I could be at home right now reading ‘Marley & Me’. Even better, I could be hanging out with Sunny talking about how her day has been.

Before I know it, I reach the thirteenth floor. As I exit the elevator, a voice from behind calls out to me.

“Be calm, don’t let anything scare you.”

The doors close before I can see who it was. Should I be relieved or worried about my own sanity?

I look around the area. For a mental health facility, it sure was small. Now, when you think of somebody who has mental health issues, honestly, you think of someone with physical attributes of those issues. As I continued to scan the floor, no such people were around. Kids, teens, adults, they were all here. Separated from each other, but all here. They all looked as mentally healthy as one could be.

“Taeyeon?”  I looked around only to find Jessica holding bottled water in both hands.

“Hi.” I smiled. She walked towards me and I put the note away.

“What are doing here?” She smiled as well.

“Simon sent me here, actually.”

Her smile faded. “What did he do?”

I decided Simon should be the one to tell her what happened earlier. “Nothing, he just told me to let you know that he was fine being by himself and asked why you still bother with Jonghyun.”

She chuckled. “Well, I’ll be sure to come up with an answer for him.”

I nodded. “Did your sister settle in well?”

Jessica sighed. “Why don’t you follow me. There’s a pair of chairs just outside her door, you could wait there while I talk to her a bit more. I’ll tell you everything after.”

I nodded again, following after her.

 

She smiled at me once more before entering the room. I sat down on one of the chairs and waited. Doctors went by back and forth. Nearby were the restrooms, people were entering and leaving every other minute. Hospitals are quite busy aren’t they?

I took a glance at the large clock on the wall. I’d say ten minutes went by.

“I’m tired of you people thinking I’m crazy!” I turned to look at the door; it was still a bit opened.

“For the last time, Krystal, we don’t think you’re crazy.”

“You say that don’t you? Yet you put me in the loony bin with all these freaks!”

“What else were we supposed to do? Send you on a trip to France? Have you put in a hospital there?”

“You’re supposed to believe me when I say that I’m sick! Stop thinking and saying that nothing is wrong with me when clearly there is!”

“Please stop shouting.”

“I’ll stop throwing a ing fit when you people start believing me!”

“You know what, I tried. I tried to make you understand but it’s not working. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“I never want to see you again!”

Jessica exited the room and slammed the door. She breathed out heavily and looked towards me.

“Do you think you can stay with me for a while?”

I smiled and nodded.

 

 

“She wasn’t always like this you know.”

I stayed quiet.

“She used to be so full of life. Optimistic, athletic, so curious about the world. Sometimes I wonder if me leaving home caused her to become this way.”

“Why do you think that?” I asked.

“I left California to pursue art here, in Korea. The art scene here just seemed to have so much life. Krystal was just about to start high school before I came here. I left her a note the day I left. I didn’t have the guts to tell her I was leaving during such an important part of her life.”

“Did you promise her something?”

She faced me. “Y-yeah, how’d you guess?”

I shrugged. Too many young-adult books.

“She was so afraid of high school; I promised her that I’d show her the ropes. I promised to make high school a breeze for her, the best four years of her life.”

“Then you left.” I said, not really thinking about what came out of my mouth.

“Gee, thanks for pushing the guilt even further, Taeyeon.”

“O-oh, n-no I didn’t…”

Jessica smiled again. “I think if she met you, she’d probably smile for the first time in a couple of months.”

I blushed, for one reason or another. “Y-you really think so?”

She nodded.

I felt her gaze at me while I looked at the grey tile floor of the hospital. Why did I feel so hot all of a sudden?

“Hello!”

Jessica and I both looked up at a tall figure. It was a girl.

“I’m Jinri. I’m here to read to…” The girl looked at the paper she had in hand “Soojung! Is she in?”

Jessica looked to me, then back to Jinri. “She’s in.” Jessica pointed towards the room.

Jinri smiled widely. “Thank you!” She bowed. The tall girl was about to enter the room when Jessica stopped her.

“One thing, are you mentally strong?”

“My mom says I have the head of a bull… whatever that means.”

Jessica sighed. “I’ll be praying for you.”