Chapter 6

Not Yet Broken

I'm sure there are a few mistakes but I'll fix them when I can. Hope you guys enjoy this update (: 


Friday came by quicker than I thought it would. I woke up no thanks to the recurring nightmare I’ve been having. In this horrible dream, fire had spread throughout my home and I was trapped into a corner, only to be devoured by the flames. I don’t understand why I’d have such dreams, but I lived with them and thought that they’d eventually go away.

Jonghyun asked to meet up at the café but never told me the exact time to be there. I wonder if he does that to his friends. Do his friends scold him for it? Is he more responsible with them? The more questions I came up with the more I realized that I wouldn’t get any answers unless I asked him myself and that was petrifying.

I hoped that out of this meeting I would gain some confidence and start to become more social. Jonghyun seemed like a decent person and maybe if we got to know each other well enough he’d like to help me. Acceptance was my first goal. If I got people to accept me, then they’d probably want to know more about me and from there my friends list would expand from one person and a few fictional characters to a handful of real people with real lives. 

Walking out of my today took about twenty minutes and that was just getting down the steps. Actually leaving the property took about thirty-four. Walking into the city was extremely fast.

I took a small break before heading to the café Jonghyun invited me to. As I neared the establishment, the smell of roasted coffee beans sped up my walk towards the door. When I entered the small building, the smell had grown stronger and so did the urge to sigh dreamily. The white brick walls were covered with various decorations, chandeliers hung above the circular tables, and the overall atmosphere was vibrant. I felt strangely at home. Forget the fact that there was a multitude of people chatting their way through lunch or having a warm beverage to relieve stress. I felt like I fit in, not with the people, but with the café itself.  

I took a seat and waited approximately twenty-three minutes before a man with platinum blond hair entered the building. I hadn’t even seen him look my way and yet I could already feel myself become a stuttering mess. When he did spot me I immediately looked down and made different movements with my fingers. This weird feeling grew in my stomach and I thought that this must be what the “butterflies” feel like. It’s either that or I’m going to get to know public toilets really well.

“Taeyeon, hi.” Jonghyun greeted. Now, believe me when I say I tried my hardest to look up. It just wasn’t happening.

“H-hello.”

“I’m so sorry, I was going to come and wait for you. Have you been here long?” He took a seat next to me. When he said he was going to come wait for me, did he plan to wait all day if he had to? Wow, ok Taeyeon. Don’t start thinking you’re anything special.

“N-no, I arrived not too long ago.” That sounds like I’ve been here for ages.

“Oh…” He was supposed to be able to keep a conversation going. “Well, would you like to have a cup of… well would you like anything?”

“No, I’m good.” I was supposed to able to help keep a conversation going.

“I’m really sorry. I should have given you a time to be here.” I shook my head and finally looked up and set my eyes onto the tip of his nose.

“It’s fine, really.” I said softly. In my mind, I’d like to think that I smiled. Maybe not a big smile, but I felt like one had been formed.

Jonghyun smiled too. “I know this may sound abrupt, but would you like to come to my studio?” And that’s where time stopped. He was inviting me to his studio. His studio, a place he owned. Yes, there would be no one there, but I’d be alone with him. I’ve only met him one other time. He was a stranger. All these logical thoughts running in my head, yet here I was about to accept his offer.

“Y-yes.” I answered. He looked surprised.

“Are you sure? I could just walk you home if you don’t feel very social right now.” I’m sure he’ll find out later on that I never feel “very social”. Going against my logic, I reassured Jonghyun that I’d like to go to his studio.

In my defense, though, the characters in some of the books I’ve read have invited people over to places and nothing bad has ever happened. Sure, these are fictional characters I’m talking about, but fiction is almost always based off of reality. This is a good thing, I'm almost sure of it. 

The walk to his complex was short and quiet. The only time he had spoken was when we had arrived. When he said he was a good listener, I guessed that he was only good at listening. We walked up a long staircase before getting to his floor. The only color I’d seen when stepping through the front door of the building was grey. The walls were grey, the floorboard was grey, the staircase was almost black and the doorknobs were a cheap gold color.

 He opened his door and invited me inside. I was two steps in when I heard a crash.

"Damn it, not again Hyoyeon."

What the heck did I get myself into? I register my surroundings and discover that there are three other people here.

"Hey, that wasn't my fault. You didn't dry the dishes correctly."

"Oh, what do we have here?" A brunette approached me. "Jonghyun brought his date over."

"She's not my date. She's a new friend." Jonghyun retorted. He turned to me and signaled towards the girl. "Taeyeon, this is Yuri."

"Nice to meet you." She reached her hand out. I have to be honest, during all this I felt like running back home. There were three other people excluding Jonghyun and I in a small space. All of whom were strangers to me.

"Let's save handshakes for later, yeah?" Jonghyun lightly pushed me to the side. "Here, have a seat." I sat on a beige couch near a window. Seoul looked amazing from this floor. Besides other tall towers blocking some spots, the rest of the city looked lively, even during the day.

"Hey, guys this is the girl who got me a good grade on our last assignment." Oh, and the blonde was here too. This is where the phrase "it's a small world" applies perfectly.

"Wow, I never thought you'd be an actual person. I mean, in real life. You're way pretty. I'm Luna by the way." A shorter black haired girl introduced herself. I think there was a lack of oxygen making its way to my lungs, as I began to breathe a bit heavily.

"You okay, girlie?" Hyoyeon asked.

"I think she was struck by my beauty." I don't quite know if Luna was serious or joking.

"Jonghyun, Luna's gonna steal your girl!" Hyoyeon said loudly. All this communication is making my head hurt. Bad.

The there was a knock on the door. I turned to see who had answered the door and it was Yuri. "Hey, our peoples are here."

In walked two other people. A tall, young man with dark hair, and... Jessica.

She turned towards me and I froze for a second before I looked down.

"What are you guys doing with her?" I heard Jessica say sternly.

"Nothing? We were just getting to know her." I think Yuri replied this time.

I was pulled from the couch. I felt dizzy and my limbs felt heavy. Was I going to die?

"Then don't do that ever again." Jessica warned. I'd wonder why she'd said that, but I just was thankful she got me out of an unwanted interrogation.

We walked into a hallway and made a left entering a room. She helped me lie onto a bed and closed some blinds. Then, before I knew it everything went dark.