Frenemies

TAST

"Wake up, Sehun." No threats today? "I'll cut you if you're not up in the next 5 seconds." There we go. Sehun got up in fear of being cut, even though he knew Jongin wouldn't really do it. They now have a love/hate relationship. Not quite friends, yet not quite enemies. Frenemies. 

"Good morning to you, too." Sehun said sarcastically. He sat on the edge of his bed and rubbed the sleep out of his eyes. It was now exactly one week until the big event with the other school. The one Sehun was now participating in alongside Baekhyun, Chanyeol, and Jongin.

"I heard about you being put in the ring." Jongin said nonchalantly. "Knowing how easily and annoyingly you get worried I just wanted to say that there is nothing to be scared about."

"Thanks." Sehun really needed that. He was super stressed. He couldn't imagine who he'd go against. But what really scared him is how he imagined Baekhyun to react. That boy could squeal. Sehun did his morning routine and soon met up with the others in the cafeteria.

 

"Eeeeeeeeeee!! Really?! You too?! That's great Sehunnie!" Baekhyun, you guessed it, squealed. 

"I wish you could take away my sense to hear, too." Sehun said recovering from the boy's inhuman noise.

"Wow! You really must be something then. A newbie in the ring. Amazing." Chanyeol seemed blown away. Things were changing a bit. There were rumors going around school about Sehun being in the ring. Most of them true, but some were just outrageous.

"I heard from someone that you'd be fighting Tao. Is it true?" Baekhyun asked.

"I have no idea who that is nor who I'm fighting. I don't even understand how to win a fight. Is it like wrestling or something? Do I pin them or knock them out?" Sehun had forgotten to ask Joonmyun and Jongin due to his surprise.

"No nothing like that. You see in our gym there is a ring. You know that huge circle outline in the gym? That's it. Before the other students show up we raise that circle and put mats around the outside. The objective is to push your opponent off. There are 2 rounds, 3 if there is a tie." Chanyeol explained. It all made sense. Better than a fight to the death.

"When do we find out who we are fighting?" Sehun was just filled with questions.

"You know, Sehunnie, curiosity killed the cat." Baekhyun said matter of factly.

"Well satisfaction brought it back. Tell me." Sehun was just too smart.

"Usually on the day of the event. So we aren't nervous." Chanyeol was filled with answers.

"Hey doesn't group training start after classes tomorrow? I've never seen it. What happens Chanyeol?" 

​"Well, since there are 4 of us, we pair up and go over strategy." The conversation ended with the bell ringing for the 5 minute warning to get to class.

 

With the event in a week everyone was talking about it. Even during classes the teachers had to calm the students down but ended up talking about it themselves. All the chatter made Sehun anxious about the upcoming event. He's even heard that last year the other school won. They say there is no prize and that it's a game to test how strong some students have gotten, but the cost of losing is pride. People were still bummed about last months event and blaming Chanyeol for their loss. This put an unbelievable amount of pressure on Sehun. Being a newbie and not knowing what the hell you're doing puts pressure on a person.

After class, Sehun met up with Joonmyun once again for training.

"You're a bit later than usual Sehun." Joonmyun noticed.

"Sorry, sir. I just had some trouble getting here." The trouble Sehun was talking about was random people in the hallways asking about the event. He was getting too much attention, a thing he didn't like.

"It's fine, Sehun. I just want you to do what you did yesterday but this time blow with your mouth." Joonmyun was too naive to change his phrasing. It took Sehun a shorter time to accomplish this task but his mouth did feel sore from the blowing. Again phrasing. 

"We still have a bit of time left so I want to introduce a new concept to you. So far we have been working on short spurts of air. Now I want to try long term. This, I think, will work easier if you don't punch or clench your fists at all. I want you to extend your arm, focus on what you're doing, and keep a small current of wind going for as long as you possibly can. Ready?" With a nod Sehun extended his arm, closed his eyes, and focused on exactly what he wanted to do. He breathed in and...

"5 seconds. Ok this may be because you are tired. Before you go off to the cafeteria I need to give you something." Joonmyun reached into his pocket and pulled out a slip of paper. It said: Power Pass. This pass enables student Oh Sehun​ to use his/her powers freely. Signed Kim Joonmyun​. "This is the power pass. I want you to practice keeping up an air current. Just show this to any teacher who gives you trouble."

"Thank you, sir. I will not abuse this pass." Sehun said and bowed. He then went to meet his friends in the cafeteria.

 

 

"A pass! Ooooh show us something, Sehunnie!" Baekhyun was very excited to hear about the power pass Joonmyun had given him. They were very rare among students. 

"I said I wouldn't abuse it." Sehun was a good guy who kept to his word.

"Pleeeeeaaaasseee? Pretty, pretty please? With a Yeollie on top?" Baekhyun was just going to be annoying until he got what he wanted.

"Fine but only a little. I've been practicing this in my room." With that Sehun put out his arm, laying his hand on its side. With a small flick of his wrist, a small tornado of wind danced across the table before disappearing.

"That's impressive Sehun." Chanyeol complimented. They finished eating and headed back to their rooms. With the event only a week away, Sehun had plenty to worry about. He could barely complete the little homework he had due to other things on his mind but finished just as Jongin had walked into the room.

"Hey, Jongin, can you help me with something?" Sehun had debated over if he should ask Jongin or not. He finally realized the worst Jongin could do is say no.

"Depends. What do you need?" Jongin proceeded to take a seat in the chair next to Sehun's bed.

"Can you help me practice my powers? Principal Kim wanted me to practice keeping an air current up." This was a tricky question for Sehun to ask considering the last time he used his powers near Jongin.

"Umm, sure I guess." Jongin agreed. Sehun then proceeded to do the procedure he was taught and send a small air current toward Jongin, who was watching the clock next to Sehun's bed to see jow long Sehun could keep it up for.

"6 seconds. That's pretty lame." Jongin laughed a bit.

"I'm trying I just can't do it." Sehun was pretty upset. He did everything else just fine, but why not this one thing?

"Okay listen, you're psyching yourself out. Calm down and just focus on the stream. Got it?" Sehun nodded and tried again. He calmed down and focused on the small stream of air he was sending out to Jongin.

"20 seconds. Good job." Jongin got up, patted Sehun on the back and went into the bathroom to get ready for bed. Yeah, they were definitely frenemies.

 


I procrastinate way to much. I'm glad that you guys are liking the story! I personally think this isn't that great but I'm still writing it. I cannot tell you how much I love to read new comments. Feel free to ask any questions about me or the story in the comments box or I do have a Jongin biased blog on tumblr.  http://msbecausewhynot.tumblr.com/ - AC