07

One More Day

She doesn’t understand why every morning, even on the first day of vacation, her cellphone just won’t give her a break. She moved to the farthest part of her bed from her cellphone and covering her ears with her pillow to block the annoying ringing of it. When it finally stopped, she was able to smile and relax a bit but it wasn’t long before it started ringing again and in annoyance, she scrambled on the bed to grab her cellphone from the bed side table.

Sleepily, she pressed her phone to her ear and answered. “Hello?”

“Honey!”

“Omma… It’s so early… Can’t this wait?” She croaked, her eyes begging to go back to sleep.

“Aigoo… Baby, you need to get up now. It’s already eleven in the morning there.” Of course, it’s her normal body clock during vacation. She just mumbled incoherent words and she heard her mother sighing at the other line. “Have you talked to your brother yet?” Her mother asked.

“Uhm…” She mumbled and whatever her mother said after that until she ended the call she didn’t remember when she woke up as she quickly fell back to sleep.

She woke up one in the afternoon. She stretched on her bed before sitting up. She checked the time on her clock and smiled in satisfaction. The longest sleep she had gotten since months ago.

It was the first day of vacation and as much as possible she wanted to sleep in for as long as she wanted. Plus, Minzy was coming over later to sleepover and you know the typical sleep over that doesn’t really compose of a ‘sleep’ but more like an overnight stay? Yeah, she was getting ready for that.

She went to her bathroom and as she saw her reflection on the mirror, a flashback of what happened two days back played in her head. She closed her eyes momentarily, shaking her head.

"I'll be waiting."

She washed her face and brushed her teeth before drying herself and walking out her room. Feeling hungry since it was already past lunch time, she walked down the stairs and saw her brother at the living room, drinking a cup of coffee and scrolling on his phone.

“Hi oppa,” she greeted, plopping on the seat next to him, forgetting what she actually came down for in the first place. He looked up from his phone and gave her a smile.

“Oh you’re up, at last. Have had enough sleep?” He asked returning to his phone.

“Ahuh. But mom disturbed earlier but of course I was able to get back to sleep.” She grinned but Joonmyeon froze on his position.

“What did she say?” He asked, trying to act normal about it.

“I don’t really know. I was too sleepy to remember. What I just remembered is that she asked me if I have talked to you… Right. Were you supposed to tell me something?” She asked, facing her brother. Joonmyeon distractedly drank from his cup.

“Have you eaten your lunch yet? I think you should do that first,” Joonmyeon said looking at her.

“Ah right. I came for that. I’ll be right back.” She smiled before hopping off the couch and walking to the dining area.

Joonmyeon watched her as she went and let out a sigh of relief. He rested his head on the couch and closed his eyes, massaging the space between his eyes. How was he supposed to tell that to Joohyeon when he himself is so against at the idea? He let out a frustrated sigh before following Joohyeon to the dining area and joining her.

“I wasn’t able to ask you but what happened after we left last Thursday night?” He asked as he sat opposite her on the table and Joohyeon stopped eating before nervously drinking water.

“Last Thursday night?” Joohyeon asked as if she was trying to prolong the wait, and Joonmyeon nodded.

“Yeah. When we left you two alone?” He said, raising his eyebrows.

“Ahhh… Jae and I?” She asked and Joonmyeon rolled his eyes, softly laughing.

“Why, what happened?” Joonmyeon asked getting why her sister was acting the way she is.

“Uhm… Nothing in particular…” Joohyeon whispered as she took another bite of her fried rice.

“What is that 'nothing in particular'? I want to know,” Joonmyeon said with a small smile.

“Well… He… Uhm…” Joohyeon didn’t know how to tell her brother about it since she was afraid of how he might react. What if he was against it making her decision to be more difficult? What if he gets mad at Jae for actually trying to court her? All the ‘what ifs’ in her head was driving her nuts. She let out a sigh.

“C’mon, you know you can tell me anything.” Joonmyeon shrugged with a small smile and Joohyeon blew a raspberry.

“Promise me you won’t get mad or anything okay?” She said raising her pinky up and Joonmyeon smirked, taking her pink to his and sealing it. “I won’t.” He promised and Joohyeon took a deep breath before saying, “He confessed to me. He said…that he likes me.” Joohyeon said covering her face that turned red like tomato and Joonmyeon can’t help but chuckle at her sister.

“And what am I supposed to be mad about that?” Joonmyeon asked leaning back on his seat, cocking an eyebrow. Joohyeon peeked through her fingers seeing the relaxed demeanor of her brother before sliding her hands down.

“You’re…okay with it?” She asked, slightly shocked because as far as she could remember, her brother is so against with her having a boyfriend yet. What’s weirder was that Joonmyeon seemed to be pleased about it. And the more she thinks about it, the more it made sense to her. “Wait. You know about it?”

“Am I supposed to answer that honestly?” He asked, grinning and Joohyeon groaned, face palming herself.

“Of course!” She said and Joonmyeon laughed.

“Okay, I admit. I know about it. Jae told me before he did whatever he did. More like he asked permission and I thought, why not, you’re already an adult, I guess you already know what to do and what not to do. You’re of age to decide for yourself.” Joonmyeon shrugged, and rather than getting frustrated over the fact that it seemed as if she was the only one who didn’t know a single thing, she was touched. Touched with the fact that Jae even asked permission and that her brother wasn’t being over protective of her anymore.

“So he asked for your permission?” She asked a little smile on her lips as she thought of it. Joonmyeon nodded. “Didn’t know he has that side of him.” She chuckled and Joonmyeon chuckled as well.

“I don’t know if our parents know about it but don’t worry about it, alright? Have you answered him yet?” He asked and Joohyeon sighed shaking her head.

“I really don’t know what to answer. I mean, it’s not like I don’t like him. I like him ever since but…” Joonmyeon watched her sister as her cheeks was flushed and her lips quivered in thought. He smiled, taking her hand into his and Joohyeon looked up to him.

“I know you have admired him long ago but you ignored it because you were thinking that Jae wouldn’t like you back. But don’t you think that it wasn’t just the right time before, that Jae was actually just waiting for you as well?” Joonmyeon said and Joohyeon bit her lower lip. “Joohyeon, listen. I know mom and dad didn’t allow you to get a boyfriend at least until you finish but trust me when I tell that it’ll be okay if you would really accept him, or not. Jae, he had been there on your worst days and on your happiest. Even if he acted the way he is, he never left your side and I suppose you know that. I’m not forcing you to him, remember that, but I don’t think it’ll hurt to give him a chance?”

Joohyeon was not that surprised that her brother knew of her old hidden feelings for Jae but she didn't actually think that Joonmyeon's the one pushing her into a relationship. She thought about it and she knew very well her brother was right. But there’s this fear that was holding her back and she didn’t know why.

“Think about it. Whatever your decision is, I’m sure Jae would understand that.” Joonmyeon smiled and she smiled back, nodding. Joonmyeon stood up from his seat and went over to her hugging her from behind. “Remember that I’ll just always be here, okay?”

“Neh, oppa. Thank you,” she said holding her brother’s arms that were around her. Joonmyeon kissed her head before standing straight up.

“Ja, finish up your food and see me in my room, okay? I have something to tell you,” he said and Joohyeon nodded smiling. Joonmyeon then left after and she was left to her food and to her thoughts.

To accept his feelings or not? She still had time and she was willing to use it all up just to make the wisest decision she would first make as an adult.

 

 

Before the sun had set, Minzy had already come over but she was still in thought of what her brother told her and what to do about Jae because of it. She welcomed her though and they first had dinner, the three of them, before they all headed to their bed rooms.

Minzy jumped to Joohyeon’s bed once they were in and stretched. “Ahhh. Vacation, at last. This is life,” she said grinning up and Joohyeon smirked as she sat on her beanie bag instead. Minzy sat up and looked at her worriedly.

“Hey, you alright?” She asked and Joohyeon nodded, smiling.

“Yeah, why wouldn’t I be?” Joohyeon said and Minzy shrugged, her lower lip jutted out.

“It’s obvious you are bothered. C’mon tell me,” she grinned and Joohyeon wet her lips in thought. “Don’t worry about me. I’m ready to listen even if it takes the whole night!” Joohyeon couldn’t get any more thankful to have Minzy as a friend. Even if she could get really bratty at times, she was nice and a very supportive friend.

She heaved a big breath before beginning and it took them a couple of minutes for her to tell but almost an hour in discussing it. If there was anyone who saw how Jae and she had been doing the most, that would be Minzy because she had always been there and actually branded herself as their number one fan.

“I know I’m your number one fan and probably you would think that I would really want you and Jae to be together. Okay, I’ll be honest. Of course I vote for him. We have known Jae for so long but you knew him first and longer. The days I’ve known him, I knew at first sight that he liked you and I thought you would know sooner or later but the heck, I didn’t know you were that naïve!”

“I’m not naïve! I just don’t…think like that.”

“Geez, it’s the same. Going back, even if he turns like a jerk at times, or like most of the times, I know that he likes you and well yeah loves you. I might not have been in so many relationships to be a guru but trust me when I tell you Jae is serious with you. I bet you know if Jae is being serious about something, right?”

Joohyeon bit her lower lip and nodded. “Yeah.”

“Good. The point is, even if he acts the way he is, jerk, bastard or whatever, I know he would be the best guy for you. I’ve seen and heard how he slowly changed just for you, and I’m sure that he is more than ready to do anything for you. I bet he is all these years.” She rolled her eyes and Joohyeon can’t help but smile. “But the decision is yours.” She shrugged and Joohyeon sighed.

“I know. I don’t want to give him an answer yet because I don’t want to risk hurting him or hurting anybody. In time, maybe, I’ll get the answer. Thank you, best.” She said hugging her and Minzy hugged her back smiling.

“It’s nothing. Don’t take too long okay? I mean, nobody likes waiting for too long and time is too precious to be wasted.” She winked and Joohyeon chuckled, nodding.

“Yeah. I know.”

Silence covered them a little later. Joohyeon in her thoughts again before she gulped, inhaled and said, “Minzy…”

“Uhm?”

“I’m going to South Korea.”

 

 

Jae stood by their doorstep, watching as Joonmyeon and their helpers load the car with the luggage in front of the Kim’s house. It’s been a day since he had last seen her and he terribly miss her, and after knowing that Joohyeon would be going back to South Korea just that morning almost crushed him.

When Joohyeon finally came out in her skinny jeans and white printed sweater, his longing became more. Joohyeon hugged Minzy who stood by her side, the latter tearing up. When they both moved away, Joohyeon looked his way and his heart jumped in surprise. She took a step forward and he did the same and when they were only a step away, they stopped, awkwardly staring at their feet.

It was Jae who broke the silence first. “So you’re leaving?” He asked and she nodded, biting the insides of her lower lip.

“Just for the Christmas vacation. I didn’t know my parents intended to celebrate my birthday party there. I’m sorry,” Joohyeon said, looking down on her feet, and she didn’t know why she felt like tearing up.

“What are you saying sorry for?” Jae softly chuckled. He raised Joohyeon’s face up and saw the tears that were threatening to fall. “Aigoo, are you crying?” He said, and Joohyeon shook her head, wiping at her eyes. “Oh sure you’re not.” Jae teased and Joohyeon stuck her tongue out. She was surprised when Jae hugged her. It was as if time stopped for the both of them, their hearts beating frantically inside their chest but on the same rhythm. “You’ll be coming back, anyway, right? Don’t cry,” Jae said, rubbing her back.

Joohyeon nodded against his chest and they stayed like that for a minute before they moved away. “I’m sorry, Jae.” She sniffed and Jae softly smiled, shaking her head.

“No, it’s okay. I’m ready to wait. I’ve waited for so long. A few more wouldn’t hurt.” He smiled and Joohyeon can’t help but smile back.

“Joohyeon, we need to go!” They heard Joonmyeon call and they both walked over.

”Hyung,” Jae said and Joonmyeon smiled, nodding in acknowledgement.

“I know this is quite sudden for you guys. It was also for me but we’ll be back for sure.” Joonmyeon reassured.

“But if you guys want, you can come to my birthday although it might be quite a hassle but you’re invited, as always,” Joohyeon said grinning and the two nodded, smiling.

They said a few more words to each other before Joohyeon went in the car. “Minzy, Jae,” Joonmyeon smiled at both of them and they smiled back, nodding. Joonmyeon went in the car and it didn’t take a minute before they finally drove off.

 

 

That night, on his way home from the convenience store, Taehyung went past Joohyeon’s house and like always it was dark. The house though was painted new just a few days ago and he actually wondered why they even bothered when no one was actually living there anymore.

“What a waste of money,” he mumbled as he stared up at the house. And like always, his eyes would find Joohyeon’s window and a faint smile would be on his lips.

“How was your birthday? Good? I hope so. Well, I’ve thought about it and I hope you’re not mad but I guess it’s time to move on. I don’t like how our friends are getting worked up because of me as well.” He paused, having Joohyeon’s face in his mind. He softly smiled.

“I wouldn’t forget all that I’ve shared with you and would forever treasure that. Thank you for everything and sorry for causing you so much pain. I’ll forever be sorry for that. I hope you forgive me,” he said feeling that pain again, and if someone see him, they might think he was some crazy guy but it didn’t matter then since it was for the last time.

“I love you Hyeon. Yesterday, today, and forever will.” He smiled one last time before walking off, a heavy feeling slowly off of his chest at last.

A few minutes had passed since he walked off when a car pulled up in front of the gates, people got in and after a long time, the house lit up.

 

 

“Wake up wake up my dear,” her mom’s voice sang.  She groaned rolling over her bed.

“Omma, a few more minutes,” she muttered and her mom faintly smiled.

“Okay, but be sure to be down in five. The breakfast is already ready. We can’t let it wait,” her mother said patting her on the back. She just nodded sleepily.

Her mom left, closing the door softly. She was supposed to go to sleep but she couldn’t so she opened her eyes and stared at her ceiling. The place felt new. The bed felt so soft from the last time she could remember and that was so so long. She actually couldn’t remember how her room last looked or how it last felt because she wasn’t able to visit her house before they flew to America.

A small smile reached to her lips before she sat up. She was feeling giddy and happy. She doesn’t know why but she was supposed to miss their house in America but actually she doesn’t because where she was right then felt more like home. She does miss her friends though, especially Minzy and Jae. She hoped they were there with her.

She then got off her bed, washed up before going out her room. She was glad she still remembered the way around her house. She always feels happy whenever she knows she remembers because the past years had been a little hard on her when it comes to remembering.

When she reached their dining area, her whole family was there and she was more than delighted to see them all there together after a long time. She all greeted them good morning before settling down on her seat beside her brother.

“I hope you like the food. We prepared it western style so you won’t miss America much,” her mother explained with a smile and she nodded, smiling.

“Can we have Korean for dinner though? It seems as though I miss Korea more when I’m here,” she said and Joonmyeon slightly turn rigid on his place. Their parents exchanged looks but Joohyeon was too focused on her food to notice.

“Of course, dear, I’ll get that ready,” her mom said and she smiled up to her.

“Uhm… Omma?” She said.

“Yes honey?” Her mom asked.

“Can I take a stroll later?” She asked.

“No,” Joonmyeon said too fast and Joohyeon frowned at him.

“Why?” She asked.

“Because…your oppas are coming over later. Don’t you want to see them?” Joonmyeon said, smiling and Joohyeon smiled back.

“Right. Okay then. Maybe next time.” Joohyeon smiled and Joonmyeon was able to sigh in relief while their parents gave him a pointed look.

The rest of breakfast went by with random talks including the topic about boyfriends but Joohyeon, even if it crossed her mind, never mentioned all about Jae, at least not for now.

 

 

That late afternoon, the house became so noisy and alive as all of her eleven oppas crowded in the living room. Joohyeon couldn’t measure the happiness she felt seeing her oppas again. They gave each other tight hugs and chat the hours away.

Joohyeon hang-out with them like before, playing play station and trying to beat her oppas, eating homemade snacks and just enjoying the time they had.

Joonmyeon watched her sister as she played with his friends who were only a few years older than her and even so he could see her happy like that, he can’t remove the fear in his chest. He had kept some things from her and was hoping that he wouldn’t have to bring it up to her, at least not that near. Now that they are back he was afraid that everything might be revealed because no one of them could really tell what could happen once Joohyeon was to be shown to the public again after so many years.

“Joonmyeon.” He looked up at the familiar voice and saw the three eldest, Minseok, Luhan, and Kris, approaching him.

“Hey.” He greeted with a faint smile.

Kris told them to go someplace where they could talk privately and they agreed, going to the kitchen where they were sure that no one could eavesdrop to whatever they were about to talk about. A few minutes of silence covered them as all four were in their own bubble of thoughts. All had calm look but definitely not inside.

“What are you planning to do?” Luhan asked breaking the ice.

“I honestly don’t know. I thought I’ll be able to convince my parents to not hold it here but they were firm about it I can’t do anything else,” Joonmyeon said in that despaired voice.

“You know you can’t hide the truth forever,” Kris said and Minseok nodded. “It is bound for her to know. Now that you are here, the possibilities are endless. And you can’t just stop her every time she wanted to explore the life she lived before,” Minseok said and Joonmyeon sighed in frustration, rubbing his neck.

“Of course I know that. But I didn’t know it’ll be this soon. I was hoping that at least when Joohyeon had graduated college and she already has a boyfriend, I was expecting everything to happen then and I am ready to tell her. I didn’t think that she would’ve to return here this early.”

It was quiet for a few minutes before Minseok sighed out loud. “It’s already here. You have to do something.”

“We’re also involved in this because we knew everything and we deprived her of that. The best thing we can do for now is watch. If fate allows her to meet the people in her past and her memory starts coming back, we wouldn’t have any choice but tell her everything,” Luhan said and they all sighed, Joonmyeon nodding.

“We’ll do that. What I’m scared of the most is her attacks. What if her head starts aching again? Damn, I can’t let that happen.” Joonmyeon was near to tears and Kris put an arm around him.

“Let’s not think negatively now. That’s the last thing we should think of. Let’s just hope for the best, okay?” Kris said and they all nodded.

“Oppas?” The four of them jumped in surprise and they turned seeing Joohyeon at the doorway. “Are you guys okay?” She asked and they nervously smiled.

“Of course. We just came to…get water. We’re about to go there,” Minseok said, smiling and Joohyeon doubted and they knew that.

“Oh c’mon. It’s bad joining adults’ conversation,” Luhan said putting an arm around her.

“But I’m already an adult.” Joohyeon jut her lower lip and the four of them look at each other, softly chuckling.

“Not enough dongsaeng-ah. Now, you go back there and we’ll be back with some more snacks,” Kris said and Joohyeon looked back to them before sighing.

“Fine.”

When Joohyeon was already back with the other guys, they exchanged looks and sighed. “Her curiosity is another problem, really.”

The day passed by like that. They had dinner together and the eleven guys left right when they noticed Joohyeon about to drift off to sleep. Joonmyeon checked her before going to his room. He entered her room and saw her figure tucked in her blanket. He approached her and sat at the edge of her bed. When he saw her eyebrows knitted in the middle, he smoothed it out, sighing.

“I hope you understand Joohyeon. I hope you understand.” He whispered. He sighed before he stood up and planted a soft kiss on her forehead and left the room quietly.

What he missed to hear which he should’ve is the soft whimper of Joohyeon, saying, “Who are you…”


A/N:

Dun dun dun SHE'S BACK! *plays She's Back by Infinite* Kekekeke

As promised. Double update before the day ends. Kekeke

What do you think would happen next? ^^

I'll update on Saturday again. Please wait for it! :)

Thank you for the support as always! I love you guys! 

See you in the next chapter! Annyeong! ^^