047

One More Day

Minutes and hours ago, she could remember how she was laughing carelessly, how her cheeks almost hurt from smiling nonstop and her lips from trying to stop it, how her heart feels so light and happy,and she doesn't even know how it all happened when she shouldn't be. She could remember how her heart would flutter, and it still does, just staring at his eyes, hearing his laugh, seeing his smile, and feeling his warmth on her skin. But in just a second, her heart started beating fast for some other reason--anxiety, nervousness, fear. It made her stomach churn and her breath hitch in . She swallowed the lump that built in as she forced out an awkward laugh. Taehyung gave her a worried glance.

"You're so serious. It's weird and it doesn't suit you," she said, although she knows that it didn't matter as Taehyung's serious facade looks as attractive as his playful self. She divert her attention forward and bit the insides of her cheeks. The calmness of the river didn't help her at all as she tried to think of something to say as she could feel Taehyung's gaze on her but she couldn't think of any. She's curious, of course, but as much as she wanted to know what he's gonna say, she's scared. The way he told her that they already need to talk brought a different kind of chill down her spine--the not so good type. 

She heard him breathe out and she side glanced at him, only to see him looking down before he glanced up again with a small smile. "How about this," he said making her look at him. "Let's play a game."

Her eyebrows rose up in mild interest. "Game?"

Taehyung pressed his lips together and nodded. "It's nothing complicated. I'm sure you know it. Twenty questions?" He asked.

went 'o' and she slowly nodded. Of course she knows that game. It's a very common game between her and her friends when she was in America. They play it mostly when they go camping or sleepovers when they can't think of anything else to do. And she thinks, that's when she openly confessed to Minzy that she did have a crush on Jae months after they met. They did it during one of their sleepovers and both of them couldn't sleep and practically stayed up all night taking about random things.

But then, things were different between Minzy and Taehyung and playing twenty questions with him made her nervous more than it did with her best friend. Hoping to stall time, she said, "You like playing games, don't you?"

"Well, I'm a guy, aren't I?" He smirked, shrugging and she scoffed. He pretended to be offended as he said, "Hey! I really am. I can even prove that to you."

She smirked, something she realized a second later that she shouldn't have. "If you say so," she sang and Taehyung's lips pouted.

"Are you challenging me, huh, Kim Joohyeon?" He asked, his lips turning up in the mischievous way and she knew he was serious but she thought, it was way better than having him ask questions she could most predict what, questions she didn't want to answer or didn't know the answer.

"What if I am?" She said, raising an eyebrow as she leaned back on her seat, turning her nose up a little that Taehyung found very adorable, he had to stop himself from going forward and kiss her on the tip of her nose. He noticed then that he had been stopping himself still from doing things he wanted to do, defying his own promise hours ago. But he convinced himself that he's doing it for Joohyeon's sake so it was not really going against his own words.

He smirked, slinging his arm over the backrest of the bench, and slightly leaning forward. It made her heart jump in her chest as she swallowed. She noticed his eyes dart to her lips and she pulled her lips to her teeth, feeling conscious. He noticed it and so he glanced up and met her wild eyes as she tried to look anywhere but him. "You're nervous," he said and her eyes snapped to him. "Wha-- Of course not!" A smile stretched to his lips. "You are. Why, because you know I can do it?" He said, not really being specific what he meant by it as he knew she knew what he meant without having to say it. 

"Get over yourself," she said, hoping to get her courage back as she pushed his forehead back with her index finger. He breathed out a laugh while Joohyeon breathed out a relief when the distance between them lengthen.

"You ready?" He asked and she blinked at him, wondering what he meant until she realized that Taehyung was just playing along with her until she's comfortable enough to start the game. It was nice of him, she knows, but the thing is, she doesn't think she'll ever be ready. 

"Can we just not do it?" She squeaked after a while and she looked away, feeling embarrassed.

Taehyung tilted his head a little and curiously looked into her eyes, as if he was triyng to read her like he always do. "Fine. Since I'm such a nice guy and a gentleman, I'll let you go first. Would that be enough?" He said.

She would have scoffed at the statement if only she wasn't too nervous and her heart wasn't beating crazily under his gaze. She puffed her cheeks and took a deep breath before nodding. She knew there's no other way out anyway and thinking of it, she could already ask all the questions she's curious about, although she's not sure she's ready to know the answers.

She was still hesitating when it struck her like a lightning as she realized she only had one more day left before she'd have to go back and face reality, and probably, the consequences of her actions. With this realization, it was enough to convince her that since they probably wouldn't get the chance to talk anymore and even if she didn't like to think that way, she's too afraid to take the risk, and gave in.

"Call." She forced on a determined smile that she's sure he was able to see through as he said, "Loosen up, Hyeon. I'm not going to bite you." He softly laughed.

If only he knows why. She pretended to sneer at him and crossed her arms over her chest. "As if I'd allow you to," she said and Taehyung grinned, making her lips turn up a little.

"Then shall we start?" He said and she nodded, a little more determined now.

"Wait!" She said, startling Taehyung a little. She sheepishly grinned, seeing the look on his face. "We can ask anything, right? Without holding back?"

Taehyung blinked, and an amused smirk came to his lips. "Anything. It's more fun that way, won't it?"

She pressed her lips together and promptly nodded. "And you'll answer honestly, right?" A chuckle escaped his lips and her cheeks flushed. "Yes, Hyeon. Didn't I suggest it in the first place?" Her heart jumped at the name once again and she wondered what difference it made when it was just simply a name. It's not like he's the first one to call her that. Shrugging off the feeling, she nodded, looking away. "Just...making sure."

"We can start now, can't we?" He asked and she slowly nodded. Like always, he gauged her expression and he could still see the uneasiness although it was already fading, replaced with a determination and he slightly smiled on it. "Ladies first," he said, giving her a playful grin which she rolled her eyes to, a small smile playing on her lips. Her heart still reacted the same, skipping.

"Okay," she said, not wanting to argue but the realization of not knowing what to ask came a second later and she furrowed her eyebrows in thought. It frustrates her how she had so many questions but can't seem to pull one out. Taehyung found it adorable how she thought hard, as if her life depended on it. Although he loves how she's thinking hard, he hoped that she wouldn't think too hard always. It's a trait of her he didn't know whether to love or notbut he guessed, he learned to love it in the years they've known each other. His thoughts halted as she finally said something after a minute, "Why are you so nice to me today?"

Taehyung wasn't so surprised she asked him that but he hoped she wouldn't ask it too soon, as it could simply give away everything. But to be honest, he thought, all his actions would only contribute to one reason and he could've said to her but the game would simply be for nothing if he did so he decided to play it safe as he replied, "Why? Can't I be nice?"

He saw the irritation cross her face and he bit back a grin. "You know what I mean."

"What? I'm being honest here. Can't I be nice to you? And hey, I might have a weird way of showing it but I always act nice to you," he said, his voice rising a little and Joohyeon scrunched her nose up, "You sure do have a twisted way of showing it then by always teasing and bickering with me." He grinned. "That's me acting nice, okay? I'm a naturally nice person." He shrugged with a playful grin, and somehow, she believed him. She could tell that he was actually really a nice person, just that his 4D personality makes his way of showing it a little odd than the rest but she could tell, as the boys had also told her, that he's actually a nice guy. Because if not, how could he even gain such great friends? And he's right. A person can be nice if he wanted to, and maybe that's why he was nice to her. Sighing, knowing she'll probably get nothing more, she nodded.

"Fine. Your turn," she said, almost unwillingly as she wasn't all too satisfied and for what reason, she couldn't really tell. His voice brought her back as she glanced at him, surprised at his question.

"Will you be alright? Can you promise me you'll be alright?" She blinked, trying to make sense of what he said. Did he just ask me if I'll be alright, but why? It was a weird question, one she hadn't expected and because of her curiosity, she asked, "Why are you asking me that?" Taehyung pout his lips, an action she noticed him doing whenever he was getting impatient. "Just answer me. You can ask why later," he said. She bit her bottom lip, staring at his eyes that conveyed an emotion she couldn't say. Was it worry? Concern? Or was it just plain curiosity?

"I'll be okay. I promise," she answered after some time and she saw his eyes search hers for a moment before a smile finally graced his lips and he nodded. Not wasting any time, she asked, "Why did you ask that?"

Taehyung smiled tightly. "I asked it because I wanted to make sure you'll be alright. That after all this, you'll be alright." It was a vague answer but she could hear his sincerity in it. Why would he even need her to be alright after their talk? What's there to even be not alright with? She wanted to ask about it but kept it to herself and just nodded unsurely at him, fighting the tingling feeling inside her.

She thought of asking what he wanted to show her but stopped herself and thought that if he was that adamant on showing it to her, then she should just wait for it as it looked like he wanted it to be a surprise. She didn't want to ruin anything if ever so instead, she thought of asking something that had been bothering her for a while. Heaving in, she said, "When you got back to your parents..." Taehyung straightened, surprised to hear about his parents but Joohyeon mistook it for him getting uncomfortable because afterall, the boys said his parents were quite strict and there's a possibility of them not getting along because of it. She fidget with her fingers, looking down. "...did they get mad?"

Taehyung's mouth fell open before he closed it again and his eyebrows furrowed. What did those guys... "Why?"

"The boys told me that...they're strict and that they didn't even think you'll stay for long because of it," she said, gnawing on her bottom lip.

"Ah, seriously those boys," he said under his breath, making Joohyeon peek up at him. He cleared his throat and shrugged. "It was okay. I got a way with it so they weren't mad," he said, hoping to be as honest as possible since he couldn't possibly tell her that the boys were lying to her that time.

"Oh... That's good to hear. I-- Nevermind," she softly smiled, obviously relieved and Taehyung can't help but smile back. Looking that she was still bothered, he said, "There's nothing to worry about. They're strict but very understanding," he shrugged. She smiled a little more and nodded. He mischievously grinned. "Why? Are you worried I wouldn't come back?" Her eyes widened as her heart skipped a beat. She could feel her cheeks turning beet red and she stuttered as she said, "Wha-What? Of course n-not!" She looked away and bit her lips.

Taehyung can't help but smile as he watched her for a while before saying, "Alright. I'll pretend I believe you." Joohyeon glared at him and was about to say something when he beat her to it, "Is it my turn?" Begrudgingly, she nodded, pouting, "Sure. Go on." Taehyung jut his lower lip out, peeking up at her as she nibbled on the straw of her drink. He didn't like to make the atmosphere get too serious so he said with a smirk, "What do you think of me?" He saw her eyes widen in surprise before she looked at him, as if to check if he was serious and he was, even if he made it sound like a playful question. 

"Wha-What?" She stammered, her heart racing and her cheeks burning. "Are y-you serious?" She bit her lips, embarrassed with her sttutering. She felt stupid but his question just caught her off-guard and she didn't know how to answer him. He narrowed his eyes on her as he tilted his head a little in the side, a small smirk on his lips. 

"I don't look like I'm joking, right?" he said. It amuses him because it was the same reaction he got from her years ago before he confessed to her. He's not just sure if he's going to get the same response as the younger version of her did, and it made him more excited. 

She swallowed and tried to calm her heart as she looked away. She took deep breaths to calm herself, thinking what to say. What did she actually think of him? The first time she saw him, she actually thought that he was mysterious and cold but when she really did meet him, she found him annoying, playful, tease, and 4D. Just weird. But then, it wasn't just that. She thought that he was still mysterious but not really cold. He could also be really serious and quite a good listener. He could be really nice if he wanted to and he has a weird sense about things which she finds funny. He was charming in his own way and well, he's talented. He doesn't lack in the looks department, either. He was cute and handsome at the same time. He could even be y-- WAIT WHAT? Did I just-- She felt her cheeks turn bright red and her face warm up. 

"Joohyeon?" His voice snapped her out of her thoughts and she glanced at him which was a mistake because she just made it possible for him to see her burning cheeks. Taehyung noticed it and he can't help but smirk at it. "Your face is so red. Are you okay?" He asked, pretending to be oblivious and she nodded vigorously, clearing .

"I'm okay," she said, clearing . "I'm alright." Taehyung bit his lips to stop himself from smiling too much as he nodded. "So what's your answer? Is it that hard? Just say whatever comes to your mind," he said, a smirk on his lips. She pressed her lips to a thin line and inhaled before facing him and saying, "You're annoying." Taehyung stared at her for a while and she felt her cheeks turn hot again. She was surprised when he suddenly laughed and she arched at eyebrow at him. "What's funny?" She said. Taehyung tried stopping himself from laughing as he shook his head. "It's...It's nothing," he said, biting his lips and she frowned. "You're really weird. How can you laugh when I just called you annoying?"

Taehyung pressed his lips together to a smile and shook his head. "What else? You find me annoying and...?"

She jut her lower lip out and said, "You're weird. Really, really weird." Taehyung nodded to show that he was listening. Joohyeon glanced up at him, feeling her heart thudding in her chest. She blew air to her cheeks to calm her down. "You're...mysterious," she said, biting her lower lip later on.

Taehyung's brows rose up. "Mysterious?" Joohyeon narrowed her eyes at him. "I just said it," she muttered and Taehyung scrunched up his nose. "I know. What do you mean by mysterious?"

"Just...mysterious. Does it have to have any meaning?" She asked, eyebrows knitting.

Taehyung snickered. "Alright. What else?"

Joohyeon eyed him. "What what else?" She asked. She couldn't possible tell him everything or it might just be the end of her.

"Is that it? I can see in your eyes that you have more to say," he said, a smirk playing on his lips. Joohyeon gaped at him. "What are you, a mind reader?" She said but quickly shut up as she just gave away that he was right. She groaned inwardly. "No. I can just tell it. So what? Tell me. I'm curious," he said, grinning and Joohyeon rolled her eyes to hide the fact that her heart is about to jump out of her ribcage. She saw him pout when she kept shut. "Don't you even think I'm handsome? Or even just cute?" 

She bit her bottom lip, seeing the cute pout on his lips. How can she possibly deny something when he was like that? She groaned. "You are," she said almost inaudibly as she looked away in embarrassment. "But! It...It doesn't mean anything!" She tried to cover up but only to scold herself from being too defensive about it.

"I didn't say it did, Joohyeon," she heard him say and she glared at him. 

"Whatever. Just shut up," she said.

"Alright, I got it," he said, surrendering as he could see that Joohyeon was about to burst from embarrassment. He's already happy to have heard her admit it so he'll already let her go off the topic. "Your turn, princess."

She puffed her cheeks, cooling herself down. She felt as if her cheeks was on fire because of that question. She her lips as she tried to think of a question and thinking that she should get back to him with his question, she said, "How many girls have you had?" She's sure that it'll fluster him because by the looks of it, he's the type of guy who had made many girls cry although she knows there's a girl he really loved, maybe up until that moment.

She almost cheered when a flash of surprise came to his face but it quickly disappeared as a smirk replaced it.

"Do you really want to know?"

"Would I be asking I don't?" She scoffed.

"You guess," he said and she scrunched her nose up.

"Five?"

"Daeng. Do I look like a playboy?" His frowned and she sheepishly grinned. He snickered. "One."

She blinked. "One? Are you saying..."

"Yeah. Are you that surprised? Geez," Taehyung said, twisting his lips. When she didn't say anything, he looked at her and saw her in deep thought. "Yah, what are you thinking about? I'm not lying, you know."

"I didn't say you are. I'm just...amazed. That girl must be something," she said, feeling a little queasy but at the same time, awed.

Taehyung stared at her meaningfully, wondering if she really had no idea he was pertaining to her. "Yeah. She is. You should meet her," he said, making her look at him. She saw the soft smile on his lips and she could tell the affection he felt for the girl and she can't stop from feeling jealous. She slightly smiled as she said, "Really? That'll be nice."

Taehyung bit back a smile. I really hope you find yourself soon, Joohyeon. I really want you to meet her soon.


A/N:

Hi my lovely readers! How are you all doing? I know it's been a while. I'm really sorry it took this long for me to update. The past two weeks was really hectic for me. It was my finals and I had to focus on it more than anything. I hope you guys understand. ^^ It's my vacation now so I promise to update as often as I can. You can expect that from me. ^^

I'll try to update soon!

Thank you for reading, subscribing, and commenting! Love you guys! ^^, 

PS. CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR BOYS FOR GRABBING SO MANY AWARDS FOR THEIR COMEBACK!