041

One More Day

"Do you know him?"

As soon as they faced each other, Taehyung had never stopped pestering her questions, mainly about who the man was. The problem was, she too was wondering who he is so she couldn't give him any answer but 'I don't know'. They were already walking back to the house, the sun easing up the coldness the late winter brought to them. When she first found him standing behind her, all she could do was stare at him as he gazed back at her. She was the first look away as she stood up too hastily, knocking the empty water bottle on the table. When she realized they were too close to each other, only half an arms length, she stepped back. Trying to distract herself and have a reason to leave him, she grabbed the bottle and walked away to the trashcan but the boy followed her with his eyes, she could feel it. She walked away as soon as she threw the bottle away and soon enough Taehyung walked beside her.

"Then why are you talking to him? You can't just be talking to a stranger," he asked, a mix of feelings in his voice.

He kept on talking but her mind would always fly back to what the man told her, drowning out all that the boy said. She can't help it because as much as it confuses her, his words cut in deep and as if he knew her so well, his words were what she needed but at the same time, didn't like. He was like that cold water in the morning that would wake you up and clear your head up. He did just that and as much as she's thankful for his thoughtfulness, she was afraid. 

"Kim Joohyeon!"

She snapped out of her trance at the rise in his voice and she halted in her steps, realizing that he had stopped walking by her side. She swallowed, wanting to turn around but at the same time scared. She didn't have time to think though because in a second, Taehyung stood in front of her, eyes set on her, lips set to a line. Her heart jumped in surprise and she stared up at him. It was only then that she noticed that the boy was a few inches taller than her, with her reaching only up to his chin. His hair also fell messily on his forehead, just above his eyes. Taehyung waved a hand in front of her face and she blinked back from her thoughts. 

"Kim Joohyeon!" He shouted again and that time, she glared at him. 

"Can you stop shouting my name?!" She said, huffing and instead of seeing him surprised or mad, he sighed and a smile came to his lips.

"You're back," he said and she looked at him bewildered. "You were staring," he said, cheekily grinning and her eyes widened before she hit him on the arm. 

"You wish," she said, walking away as her cheeks turned to red.

"Why do you love you denying so much," she heard him say and her cheeks turned warmer. It made her stop in her steps for a while as his and the man words echoed in her head.

"Because I'm scared," she muttered to herself. He soon caught up with her and walked beside her as well but he already stopped talking and surprisingly, she wished, for the first time, that he wouldn't.

 

When they reached back, Taehyung did a gesture that surprised her. He jogged up the stairs before her and opened the gate for her, letting her in first. A little dazed, she entered, saying 'thanks' softly. She found herself waiting for him as she slowed down walking and just before she opened the door to go in, Taehyung spoke, stopping her.

"I believe you." Confused of what he was saying, she turned around and arched an eyebrow. He was looking down, tapping the heel of his shoe on the ground, looking like a shy boy she hadn't seen before and it made him look adorable. 

"What?" She asked, genuinely confused.

"With what you said. And what you will say. I trust you," he said and she's not sure if it's her or he just really blushed. Before she could say anything, he walked past her and opened the door. Like what he did a minute ago, he held the door open for her and she stared at him in mixed surprise and amusement. Had Taehyung been that gentlemanly or was she focused on seeing his flaws to notice it? When Taehyung finally looked into her eyes, her heart skipped a beat, his gaze doing things in her heart again. He nodded inside and said, "Aren't you going in?" Snapping from her stare, she half-ran half-walked inside.

The boys immediately noticed their arrival and they greeted her as she passed by them in the living room. She greeted them back with a smile before saying that she'll just stay in her room for a while. She needed some time to think over what the stranger told her and to calm her fast beating heart that was caused by the boy, his words playing in her mind like how the stranger's did but in a more intimate way.

"Did something happen?" She heard Seokjin asked before she closed her door and without denying to herself, she said to no one in a soft grumble, "Something very big happened."

 

She stayed in her room for the rest of the morning and she was thankful the boys gave her some space. She wanted some peace because her mind was going on haywire and she felt that silence could help her as she was trying to clear her thoughts. Just that it wasn't so easy.

The stranger's words still echoed in her mind relentlessly. But what her mind can't forget is when he told her her mistake--her fault of denying. At some point, she was offended, thinking who he was to tell her that until she remembered how he had said it with no personal feelings involved so she couldn't get mad at him for it because in the beginning, she allowed him to tell his opinion. And more than anything and anyone, she hates herself because she knows it's true.

She kept on denying things because for some reason, she was afraid. At the back of her mind, she understood what they were all mostly trying to tell her but she told herself not to. She constructed a meaning for herself, something that could keep her and her feelings at bay and make her feel secured in a way. Now, she knows she has no more reasons to run, to escape because somebody had just pointed out to her and sooner and later, they would all catch up on it, if they still hadn't. She realized how as she pursued for answers and for the truth behind the lies, she's actually running away from it. She fully gets now why after so many weeks, she still can't make sense of something that is obvious because she was too busy trying to pretend that it was something else.

And during the morning at the convenience store, when just the mention of the stranger about the boy made her look around and her heart skip a beat, she isn't sure what to make out of it, going to that cycle of denying again. But when they were walking side by side and he stood before her, his intense gaze making her look up at him, she saw features she didn't really care for before other than his eyes until she was drowning in the beating of her heart. And that's when the realization struck her and she can't deny anymore. Because she knows herself, and she knows what it means when she takes notice of things she didn't before.

It was also that realization that she can't seem to find the courage to face him because she was too embarrassed, too ashamed. She feels like a...bad girl...a . She wanted to cry because she knows it's wrong but she can't do anything about it. She took the stranger's advice and look at where it brought her--what it did to her. She decided to stop denying and her mind turned to a mess and worst, her heart. She covered her face with the palm her hand and groaned.

"I can't feel this. Not to him. Not to anyone but Jae. But why am I feeling this way towards him? Just why...can't I stop this feeling..." Tears from frustration flowed from her eyes and she hugged her legs to her chest. The guilt was eating her up because even if she wasn't acting upon her feelings, she feels like she's outright cheating on her boyfriend, something she knows he didn't deserve in so many levels. "I'm so sorry," those were the only words that left her lips and feeling fatigue taking over her body, she fell asleep.

 

She woke up two hours later and when she looked at the clock, she saw that it was past lunch, just a little past one in the afternoon. She sat up, rubbing her eyes. She could already feel her stomach begging for her to eat but just thinking about how up until now she didn't know how to face him, she sat there, grabbing onto her stomach. But when it started to cramp, she threw the blanket away and stood up. 

"All I need is get food and I'll go back here." Having it in her mind, she walked to her door, patting on her hair. She reached for the door knob but felt her confidence slipping away when she heard the boys' laughter resonate from outside and it was weird and crazy but she could tell which one was his and it made her stomach flip. 

"No. You cannot stay in your room forever. Heck, you can never hide from him forever," she mumbled to herself and taking a deep breath of courage, she twisted and pulled the door open, only to press her hand to her chest when she saw Yoongi standing before her door, a hand up and with his position, it looks like he was about to knock. 

"Sorry. Did I surprise you?" He chuckled and she playfully said, "No. My heart almost just jumped out of my chest," with sarcasm and she grinned. Yoongi laughed softly, shaking his head. "I'm not taking that as because you like me, will I?" She knows he was just joking so she punched him on the shoulder and said, "Of course not." Yoongi smiled slyly, mimicking her, "Of course not~ Because somebody else owns it?" Her eyes widened in surprise and in instinct, her eyes looked sideways and the boy laughed. She glared at him. "Can you not?"

"Alright. I'm just joking," he said, patting her on the head. 

"What brought you here, anyway?" She asked, leaning on the doorway and he glanced at the living room and she was curious why so she looked there but jumped in surprise when a certain boy was watching them and she looked back to Yoongi, avoiding his gaze. "So...?"

"Well, someone was too worried, meaning we are also, but yeah, he was too worried and since he doesn't have ba--he's too much of a sissy, I came to check up on you." Her eyebrows met in the middle in curiosity of who he meant but he just shrugged and at the back her mind, she wondered if it was him. She knew it was a mistake when her heart skipped a beat and she grinned at him to distract herself. "Whoever that sissy is, tell him I'm alright."

"I will," Yoongi said, grinning back at her.

"Uhm..." She murmured glancing towards the kitchen and Yoongi caught on to that and chuckled. "We've put away some food for you. Quite a lot, to be honest, 'cause like I said, someone was too worried about you so yeah, go and dig up." Yoongi nodded off the kitchen, putting his hands in his pockets. Putting her curiosity aside, she grinned, something she noticed she had been doing for the past minute, "Alright. Thank you for putting something away for me and say thank you to that sissy for me." Yoongi smirked, nodding. "I will." And with that, she followed him to the kitchen, hoping her heart won't betray her.

As usual, the boys greeted her, the dark-brown haired boy not included as he just fixed his gaze on her, and she smiled at the other boys and because her curiosity was getting the best of her, she glanced at him, a second of contact, then she looked away. Another second and her might just jump off her chest.

She ate in the kitchen counter alone since the kitchen was too bare for the boys to see. Actually, for him to see. The food was too hard to digest for some reason and she find herself coughing once in a while even if she tried to stop herself. It just makes her cough more. Coughing for the third time, a figure leaned on the counter beside her and she could already tell who it was and she trained her eyes on the food, not having the power to look. When he didn't say anything, she tried to break the silence, and act normally after everything this morning.

"What are doing there?" She said, her voice betraying her as it came out a little shaky. She cleared , finding the strength to look at him and an eyebrow.

"You're eating too fast. You'll get indigestion. I thought you should know it, OdeokJoo." Joohyeon's eyes snapped to him and her eyebrows narrow.

"What?"

"OdeokJoo. Odeok plus Joo as in Joohyeon, your name," he shrugged and she glared at him, feeling the usual banter coming back again. She blinked when she realized that Taehyung just called her in some sort of a nickname although she wasn't sure if she likes the sound of it.

"And where did you just get that...name?" She asked bewildered and offended. She never thought of herself a nerd and she didn't like being called as one.

He tilted up his head a little in thought before he looked down at her and smiled in a teasing way, "I've made it." She rolled her eyes on him and looked back on her food.

"Eat a lot. You already look like...a stick." With that, Joohyeon kicked him on the shin and he jumped on one feet.

"HEY! That was the third time today!"

"And that was the nth time you annoyed me. You still owe me more of that," she said, smiling grimly and Taehyung smirked. "You just love touching me don't you?" He said, his eyebrows raising suggestively. She felt her cheeks turn red and she raised her hand to punch him on the shoulder when he caught her fist in time, grinning.

"Easy there, woman. I also feel hurt you know," he pouted but all she could focus on is how his hand was holding her curled fist and how it was warm. She pulled her fist away and looked away.

"Whatever. Can't you leave me alone? I'm having indigestion because of you--" She stopped and side glanced up him, only to see a silly smile on his face.

"As you wish, princess," he winked before pushing himself off and walking away with his hand in his pockets.

She squeezed her eyes tight and grunt. Great, just great.

 

The rest of the day, she tried to interact with the boys even if Taehyung's gazes still won't give a rest to her heart. Time is running and she only has six days left. She decided to keep it from them for a while, not having the will to tell them and for a reason that she wants to try to do things to help herself and not rely on them.

They decided to play a simple game of '007 Bang' and as minutes went by, she felt carefree and laughing with them made her forget about the things messing up in her mind. Instead of the 'Indian Bap' as the punishment, everytime they lose, they would have to show something, a talent or anything that could be entertaining. It's then that she noticed how the boys were more talented than she thought they were. They could sing and rap, making her feel so...talent-less. She did her best not to lose because there's just really nothing for her show them and she was glad that she was good at the game and never lose a round.

When they got tired of playing, Joohyeon asked them if they could sing and rap again and told them that they were amazing. Fluttered and seeing how Joohyeon enjoyed watching them, they agreed and Jungkook grabbed his guitar.

"We have sang this in the school festival before but only me, Jungkook, Jimin, and Taehyung who sang. These three performed a rap," Seokjin said as he pointed at each person as he talked. She nodded in understanding although she was surprised that Taehyung was one of them. And since she was quite an open book most of the times, the boys saw the surprise in her face as she stared at Taehyung who had just looked at her and realized why. 

"Hey! I can sing too!" He exclaimed and she grinned while the other boys laughed. He huffed and pouted and Joohyeon was again pulled to him and she looked away. 

"Ready?" Seokjin asked as Jungkook propped the guitar to his thigh and positioned it under his arm and nodded. "You know this, for sure," Seokjin said and she pressed her lips as Seokjin gave the signal and the youngest started playing the guitar.

When they started, Joohyeon found herself leaning to her elbows as she listened to them, completely sweeped off of her feet with how beautifully their voices harmonized and melted into one. She recognized the song to be Taeyang's You're My and with them singing it, it sounded so passionate. 

Since some time ago
I’ve been call you first, more and more
I already call you baby at the places you aren’t at
It’s quite funny to me, too

You’re my chocolate
My sweetest chocolate
I really wanna have you
You, who is so sweet
I wanna have you, Wanna have you

Her eyes snapped to the owner of the voice after Seokjin sang and she felt her heart skipped a beat when she realized it was Taehyung and the way he intensely gazed at her as he sang almost had her breathless. 

So that you’ll be able to lean on me
So that you can feel a nice happiness
I’ll give you my everything

You’re my ice cream
My sweetest ice cream
I really wanna have you
You, who is so sweet
I wanna have you, Wanna have you

Again, she was pulled by his beautiful pair of eyes and the captivating curl on his lips. She might've really underestimated him because his voice sounded so sweet and lovely to her ears, as if he was really singing to her. Jungkook and him harmonized but her eyes remained on him and him only. What the two didn't know was that the other guys were watching them both intently and holding back their grins although it was too obvious. The two 'ex-lovers' were too immersed in their own worlds that even if it wasn't Taehyung who's singing, she just stayed staring at him and none of them faltered until Jungkook hit the and the song ended with the last strums in his guitar. She snapped out of her daze and was met with mischievous smiles and she felt her cheeks turn deep red. To hide the embarrassment of obviously being caught, she clapped her hands.

"It was great! You guys were amazing!" She said, a breathless smile on her lips.

The rapper boys then did their thing and again, she was flabbergasted at how good they were, especially as it was a freestyle rap. It was quite hard to concentrate and understand because other than how fast they would rap, Taehyung's voice remained in her head, his deep velvety voice singing. It has an effect on her she hadn't felt in anybody before. It was different and she can't pinpoint on what it was.

The boys sang a few more and she joined in although she was embarrassed at first because she doesn't have a good voice like them. It was a really fun time and she was sure to treasure it when time comes that she had to leave them. They stopped when they noticed it was almost dinner.

"I'll cook since you sang for me," she said, about to stand up but Hoseok pushed her down and wagged a finger to her.

"No. You stay here and we'll cook," he glanced back to the only sitting boy left who was busy plucking on the guitar, "He's not that bad." He winked before patting her on the shoulder, leaving her completely alone with him. She felt frantic for a moment as she looked around to him and Hoseok grinned, pretending to shoot them both and she chuckled, shaking her head. When she looked around, Taehyung was still playing with the guitar. She felt relieved that he wasn't staring at her even if his looks would always make her feel...special. She wet her lips and decided to focus on something because watching him is doing things in her heart again.

They just sat there without saying anything to each other and when Joohyeon already felt suffocated with the silence she wasn't used to being with him, she cleared and said, "You know how to play it?" Taehyung didn't say anything so she thought that maybe she said it too soft or he just didn't want to talk to her at all. She felt her heart drop a little at the last thought. She thought they were already back to how they were before because clearly, when he left, they have an unfinished business and when he came back, it was as if he was back to being that annoying boy and nothing happened at all.

"A little," Taehyung answered a minute later, startling her. His eyes was still trained on his guitar and somehow, it annoyed her but she didn't say anything.

"O-Oh..." She didn't know what to say to keep the conversation flowing. She's not good with things like that in the first place so she would often rely on the person she's talking to in keeping the conversation. There was silence again and she drummed her finger on the empty space beside her where Jungkook sat a while ago.

There were a number of things she wanted to tell him and ask him. 

Is he still mad?

Did his parents scold him?

What happened when he came back?

Why did he say those words a while ago about trust?

And lastly...

Who is he really?

But none of them were asked, his strumming only filling their ears until the boys cooking finally called them for dinner. 

By the end of the day, when they all parted to go to their rooms and as she lied on her bed after washing up, she recalled all that happened that day. There were so much that she stayed up for an hour or two until she feel asleep to Taehyung's singing voice playing at the back of her mind.


A/N:

Hello my lovely readers! How are you doing? Surprise update? ^^ I'm too hyped up and can't wait to type this so here it is. I might type up the next in a while because I want to type until the feeling and ideas are still there. ^^ 

This chapter is a little fluffy since the past chapters were a bit...dramatic. So yeah. Hope you liked it!

Here's the song the four boys sang, if you're curious. They really sang it live before. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-bi2YbwjRc

Thank you for reading, commenting, and subscribing! Love you!