03

One More Day

*Those italized are spoken in English*

It was the first snow of winter. He was walking home from school when it fell. He could've taken the bus but he had this urge to just walk and maybe it was because of this. He looked up and a faint smile appeared on his lips.

"First snow..." He silently chuckled remembering how first snows usually gives him a thrill. That thrill that would make him bring out his phone if ever they were not together or race out his room as soon as the bell rang for break or dismissal if they were in school. But that day, for the very first time after two years, he didn't get his phone nor did he run out their classroom to meet her. And it felt weird. And nostalgic. And just...wistful.

As soon as he passed by her house, he stopped and looked at it. As usual it was dark and empty. It had been like that for a few months now. Once her brother left for another country, it was locked down. His eyes darted to the familiar window he had stared at for countless of times in the past and then as some memories played in his mind.

He remembered calling one time in the middle of the night when he saw the snow fall before he had gone to bed and she answered, her voice sounding like she just woke up. He apologized right away but his excitement cannot be removed as he said, "Guess what?"

"What?" She asked sleepily.

"Look out the window," he said, smiling, as he too was staring out his window the whole time. She hung her feet off of her bed and got up, rubbing her eyes as she moved her curtains to the side. "What---" She stopped short and Taehyung knew she just saw it. "The first snow," they both said at the same time as her eyes widened.

Silence covered them as they both watched the snow fall endlessly until Taehyung cleared his throat.

"Can we...uh...meet? But it's okay if you don't want. I'm really sorry for waking you up," Taehyung said, feeling his face warm up. Joohyeon smiled at how cute her boyfriend for almost year sounded before she nodded although he couldn't see her.

"Okay. I'll get ready and I'll text you," she said and Taehyung smiled. "Okay. See you. I love you," he said before they both ended the call. Taehyung said a silent cheer, pumping his fist up before he wore his pants, grabbed his sweater and wore it as he quietly got out his room.

On the other hand, she grabbed her hoodie from her closet and wore it. Her heart still hasn't recovered from hearing Taehyung's sweet I love you. He never failed to say I love you everytime they end their calls or when they part, and it also never failed to make her heart flutter. She was wearing pajamas already so she didn't bother changing into a pair of pants. She silently opened her door, peeking out first. She sighed a relief when all the lights were already turned off, except for the corner lights of the house. It was already past twelve in the evening but she was sure enough that her brother might still be awake studying so she needs to be quiet. 

She walked down the staircase and tiptoed over to the door fast but without creating a single noise before she twisted the doorknob open and walked out, closing it quietly behind her.  She immediately saw the snow falling and a smile plastered itself on her face. Snow never fails to make her smile and by now, you might've guessed that winter is her most favorite season of the year, but really, it's just her top two.

After she had walked out their gate, Taehyung stood there on his snapback, casting shadow on his handsome face. He would always wear something over his head to cover his face almost everytime because there was a CCTV by the gate. They were even surprised that they weren't still caught by now but nevertheless, she was relieved because she didn't want to be forced to break up with him.

They exchanged smiles before Taehyung grabbed her hand. "Let's go to the playground." She nodded and they crossed the street to the small park in their area. Joohyeon sat on the swing and Taehyung sat at the other. They were quiet for a while, both feeling awkward as it was their first time actually sneaking out that late. It was Taehyung who broke the silence first as he cleared his throat and looked at her.

"Aren't you cold?" He asked and Joohyeon looked down on herself. Her pajamas were sure thin to block the coldness but she was okay. She shook her head, smiling. "I'm fine." Taehyung just nodded awkwardly. He didn't know why he felt so awkward all of a sudden, his heart pounding on his chest loud. If she would just go near him, he was afraid she might hear it.

"Say something..." He said to himself. He looked at her and she was looking down, pushing her feet on the ground to swing herself. Her long brown wavy hair cascaded down her shoulders and when she curled it to her ears, he felt himself catching his breath before he finally got the courage and stood up from his place and walked over to her. She looked up to him and was surprised when he removed his sweater, leaving him only on his printed black shirt. 

"H-Hey. What are you doing?" She asked, eyes slightly widening. Taehyung offered no explanation as he put his sweater on her lap. "Don't want you to catch any cold." He winked and she felt like a thousand butterflies came alive in her stomach.

"But I don't want to risk you getting sick," she pouted and Taehyung found it so cute with her cheeks pink from the cold that he had to stop himself from pinching her cheeks.

"Hey! Are you underestimating your guy?" Taehyung said, folding his arm over his chest, pouting making his lips look like a heart and she snickered, sticking her tongue out. "I didn't say anything."

"You're being mean again, Ms. Kim Joohyeon. You're hurting me." Taehyung pretended to be hurt and she giggled. "Nothing's funny!" He frowned and she reached out to poke his cheeks. "I'm just joking Mr. Kim Taehyung." She smiled and Taehyung can't help but smile. "Ok fine. I'll let you go this once," he said before walking behind her and holding the chains that kept her swing in place, pushing it a little.

They enjoyed the comfortable silence that surrounded them. It went for a couple of minutes before Joohyeon opened to break it. She was hesitating but she thought that if they were really planning for their relationship to go for the long run, she should learn to be comfortable especially on things concerning their relationship.

"Taehyung..." She said, looking down on her feet. "Yes, Joohyeon?" Taehyung said, looking down at her. "We're almost on our one year," she said softly, embarrassed to say it out loud and Taehyung caught that. He smirked, stopping the swing and walking around to squat in front of her. That was also the time that Taehyung confirmed that girl's do remember important dates like it was imprinted in their mind. Thinking of teasing her, he said, "Oh really?" This made Joohyeon's mood fall a little but she didn't let it show and just nodded. Taehyung chuckled, pinching her cheeks. 

"Of course I know. Why? Do you want to do something that day?" He asked holding both of her hands that was on her lap. Joohyeon felt her heart beating so fast and her cheeks blushing. Taehyung saw her cheeks turn a darker shade of pink, thank you for the lamp posts and the moon, and chuckled. He loves it when he could make Joohyeon blush, because besides the fact that she looks cute, he knew that he was affecting her in someway positively.

"Not really. I...Nothing," she said, shaking her head a little. She was about to say something and Taehyung noticed it so he prodded for her to continue. "You what?" He asked and she hesitated a little. "I...I'll be okay with anything as long as...we're together." She was not used to saying those kind of things since afterall it was her first try on having a boyfriend so saying that needed more courage than usual. Taehyung smiled upon hearing it and nodded.

"Okay. I'll make sure of that." He smiled and Joohyeon smiled back. They just stared at each others eyes, savoring that moment that they could have to themselves since they would always have to watch their backs in school. 

Taehyung's eyes landed on her lips and he gulped. It was not the first time he had the urge to kiss her on the lips but being alone like that, with no one around, that urge was stronger than before. Sometimes, he would feel as if it was wrong since they were just in their first year in high school but he was still a guy although he knew his limitations and most especially, he respects her. Joohyeon looked down, feeling awkward all of a sudden. Taehyung was debating with himself whether or not to do it while he had the chance but he was nervous and afraid at the same time that Joohyeon might not want to and suddenly look away.

"Dammit. Just do it." He thought as he slowly inched his face, feeling his heart beat so fast in his chest. If she retiliates, then he would respect her.

Joohyeon felt her heart beating twice as fast as he saw Taehyung's face going closer. She didn't know what to do. Was she supposed to close her eyes? Or just wait? Or look away? Or... Her eyes widened instead as she felt a soft pair of lips land just at the corner of her lips. They stayed like that for three seconds before Taehyung moved away, both cheeks blushing so hard at their most intimate moment. And yes. That was their first.

"I...I'm sorry. I mean... I wasn't---Sorry." Taehyung was at lost for words and Joohyeon tried not to laugh at how cute he looked. She just nodded in return, looking down on her lap.

After that, they stayed together for a few more minutes before they decided to go home. Taehyung sent her home and before leaving, Joohyeon said, "Thank you for tonight. I enjoyed it." Taehyung smiled, nodding. "Same. Good night. Dream of me, okay?" He said and Joohyeon smirked. "Let's see." She chuckled and Taehyung frowned. "Good night." She smiled, before opening their gate quietly as Taehyung stood there, waiting for her to get in first. As soon as she stepped in, she looked back. "Go already. I'll go once you leave." Taehyung shook his head. "No. You should go in first. I'm fine," he said smiling and Joohyeon knew not to argue because he wouldn't just stop so she sighed, smiling a little before nodding. She turned and was about to close the gate when Taehyung called her back.

"Joohyeon," he said and Joohyeon looked back. "I love you," he said, his cheeks embarrassingly turning pink and Joohyeon smiled back, nodding, "Take care," she said before closing the gate.

He could remember that as if it was just yesterday and it made him smile. Good old days. He thought as he took one last glance before walking away.

 

 

It was already winter although there was not a snow falling yet and it somehow disappointed her as she stood inside her room, staring out the window. It was her first Christmas in a foreign land and it somehow excites her. 

"Why is it still not snowing?" She frowned when she heard a soft knock on her door.

"Dongsaeng-ah? Are you awake now?" She heard her brother say. "Yup. I'm ready." She wore her beige cotton sweater with lines of white at the edge, grabbed her bag and opened her door. Her brother smiled at her and she smiled back. "Let's go. Don't want to be late, are we?" He said and she shrugged, smirking.

They walked down and the maids they passed by bowed to them. "We'll eat out for breakfast," Joonmyeon said.

"Yes, sir," the maid replied and walked to open the door for them.

They walked out the house and the car was already at the drive way. Joonmyeon unlocked the car before opening the door for her and closing it once she was in. He went over to the driver's side and went in, starting the engine right away and telling her sister to buckle up. Once they were out, Joonmyeon the music player.

"Did you bring your medicine?" He asked giving a quick glance at her and she nodded.

"Yeah. No need to worry, oppa. Plus, I'm perfectly fine now. You should take care of yourself more, you know," she said and Joonmyeon sighed. "Even if you feel fine, you should still take your medications. It's better to be safe than sorry." Sometimes, it already irritated her, how her brother nags her so much about her medicines but she couldn't really find the heart to complain because she knows her brother was just concerned. She was just hoping that her brother would ease down a little. It had been months now, although it wasn't that long but she doesn't feel any pain anymore. She sometimes get headaches and feel dizzy but it was something that usually happens to her due to stress and lack of sleep.

They went to a drive thru and got burger and fries for both of them before driving off to school. Once they were by the gate, Joonmyeon pulled up and Joohyeon removed her seatbelt off. 

"Take care in school, okay?" Joonmyeon said and she nodded smiling before going forward to kiss her brother on the cheeks. "You too, oppa. You take care of yourself more because you're getting old already." She stuck her tongue out opening the door to go out. Joonmyeon's jaw dropped before a smirk appeared on his lips. "Bye!" She shouted once she had pushed the door close and Joonmyeon waved back. She watched her turn and walk away, when a guy startled her from behind, and she pushed him slightly and both ended up laughing.

Joonmyeon felt a little nervous seeing his only sister close with a guy but he knew that Joohyeon is a growing teenager and it was better that way. It will be easier getting rid of the past when having new memories to treasure with new people. With a small smile, he looked forward and drove off.

"Whatever Jae," she said, rolling her eyes. They were walking to their locker and her best friend was teasing her about how fat she was already getting from all the calories she kept on eating. She wasn't really offended because well, she was used to her best friend constantly teasing her. "Anyway, have you answered the Math homework given the other time?" She nodded when suddenly, a hand grabbed both of their shoulders.

"Hey lovers~~~" It was their other friend, Minzy. She just sighed at how Minzy never learn. She kept on calling them lovers for so long it already didn't matter to them both. 

"What's up?" Jae asked and Minzy shrugged.

"Let's hurry up before the bell ring," she said, locking her locker, stacks of books on her arm. The two nodded before Jae turned around first and Minzy grabbed him by the arm. "Yah, what's your problem?" He said as he was dragged back.

"Aren't you even going to be a gentleman and help your girlfriend?" Minzy said and he rolled his eyes. Before he could say anything, she said, "We're not boyfriend-girlfriend Minzy. And no, it's okay. I can bring this." She shrugged with a small smile before she took a step forward while her two friends stood behind her, Minzy frowning while smacking Jae on his arm while he just kept quiet, like usual. Sensing her friends still not following, she looked around and said, "What are you two still doing there? Are you seriously ready to face the wrath of Mrs. Smith?" She said and this woke up the two as they sped up to catch up with her, making her chuckle.

The day went by fast and before they know it, it was already dismissal. Their teacher let them go earlier than usual and all students were eager to pack up their things and leave. The three of them left together as always, walking out. 

"Hey. How about we grab some sundae?" She suggested and Minzy's jaw dropped while Jae shook his head in disbelief. 

"Are you serious?! It's already so cold," Minzy shivered and she pursed her lips together, shaking her head. "Gosh. Go get some if you want but I really have to go before my mother go scold me again. She wants me home early," she groaned. She softly laughed at her before they all waved good bye leaving her and Jae alone.

"So..." She said, looking up at Jae with a smile.

"So what?" Jae said looking at her. She grinned and Jae mentally facepalmed himself. "You buy your own. I swear I won't treat you," he said as she already started walking to the parking area.

"Okay~" She sung.

Once Jae had unlocked his car, she let herself in. It was a normal thing for them. Since Minzy always had someone to pick her up, they were always alone by the time it's dismissal so it was no wonder they got so close fast even if Jae would often act cold to her and does everything just to annoy her. Jae reversed the car and sped out the school's premises.

As usual, they went by their favorite ice cream parlor before stopping at the park near their houses. Well they lived in the same street, just a house in between them and well, considering that both of them were Korean and the only ones in their street, their family became friends faster. She actually didn't know them until they transferred there and her parents was also there to welcome them. It was not really a surprise to be seeing her parents there since they went ahead to get everything ready before she and her brother move over. They introduced her to Jae's family and him. For the few months they knew each other, they started off a little wavy but soon got along.

They silently sat at the bench, watching the neighborhood kids play. It had been a habit and they enjoyed that quality time.

"Look at those kids, so carefree," she said, on her ice cream.

"Uhuh," Jae said focusing on his ice cream.

"Don't you miss being a kid?" She asked looking at him and Jae shrugged.

"Don't try going back to memory lane, Joohyeon. You're torturing yourself." Jae gave her a reprimanding look although she knew by now that he was just concerned even if he didn't want to show it. She sighed looking away.

"I just..." She shrugged, sighing. Jae sighed out loud. "Just eat---Uh oh"  Jae said, accidentally pushing her ice cream to her nose, smudging it on her face. Joohyeon held her breath for a moment before looking at Jae.

"HOW CAN YOU..." She said with gritted teeth. He just gave her a lopsided grin.

"You look better like that," he said trying to stop himself from laughing.

"Damn you Jae," she said wiping her face with the tissue. Jae can't help but to stare at her with a small smile on his face. Noticing a pair of eyes on her, she turned to look at him, making him blink, his face turning a shade of pink. "What are you looking at?" She asked. 

"What? It's just a pity that you removed it already. It really does suit you!" He said with a playful grin and she rolled her eyes. "Whatever Jae. You're childish as ever."

"But you love me like that," he said before he even caught himself. She raised an eyebrow at him and he gulped. "I mean... I'm your friend right? So that means you love me, or you don't? Whatever. I don't care." He stood up from his seat feeling heat rise up to his cheeks. "I'll go now. There's still a lot of things to do for school. Bye." He turned, closing his eyes in embarrassment before he felt something cold on his face. He opened his eyes and saw the snow falling.

She froze on her position, staring wide eyed at the snow that was falling.

"The first now..." She mumbled and Jae nodded, hearing it. "It already fell..." He muttered. A small smile appeared on her lips before suddenly, something seemed to play in her mind, and her head ached making her groan in pain and grab her head. This alarmed Jae as he turned around and find her clutching on her head. 

"Joohyeon. Hey, Joohyeon, are you okay?" Jae said holding her on her arms but she can't seem to stop the pain and before she knew it, everything went black and she fell against Jae. "Joohyeon... Joohyeon!" He felt his heart palpitate as Joohyeon got knocked out cold. He immediately took her on his arms before running to his car and racing her to the hospital, hoping that she will be alright.

Maybe during the first time something like that happened, just the first month they had transfered, he was just so shocked and worried since he was not used to having someone go unconscious in front of him but as time passed by that feeling changed and he got this urge of always being there whenever she turns vulnerable and protect her and he doesn't know why it was like that. He didn't bother entertaining it because he knew where it could lead. 

As soon as he saw the nurses take her away as they reached the hospital, he didn't know why reality just had to make him realize it the hard way but that time it struck him. "I can't lose her." 


A/N:

WHAT'S UP?!?!?! Kekeke.

Well here's the 3rd chapter. How's is it? Please tell me! I want to know where I should improve more so that I could change whatever needed to be changed.

I really really had a hard time choosing the other guy for Joohyeon lol so yeah.

Can you guess now who it is? Kekeke. If you do know, ssshhhh. Ahahaha.

Oh and, kyaaaaa I didn't expect to get this much support from you guys. I was surprised when I hit this much subscribers. I mean, I know it's not a lot but then, I wasn't really expecting to receive good responses for this since this just kinda popped in my mind. I'm really happy! Thank you! :)