051 FINAL II: Just One Day

One More Day

FINAL II:

Just One Day

“If I have just one day, it’s possible”

Just one day, if I can be with you

Just one day, if I can hold your hands

Just one day, if I can be with you

Just one day (just one day)

~"Just One Day" BTS~


Forgetting wasn’t really easy.

For the next two days after that night, she was lucky to be too preoccupied that she has less time to think about what happened that night, because no matter how she tried, it would still manage to get through her mind. It was only during those times she appreciated the work coming in for her, really.

As expected that night, Haejin had flooded her with messages when she hadn't answered any of her ten missed calls while the boys sent her a few messages asking where she was and if she was alright. It made her wonder if she really looked not okay that day that they all seem to worry. Again, maybe she wasn't really that good of an actor. She even received a text message from Daehyun that read, "I've got your back. Take care Joohyeon-ah. I'll see you soon." She thought she fully understood what his message meant but when she had a chance to talk to Haejin the next afternoon, she was proved wrong.

"Daehyun fcking punched him. Gosh, it was the first time he threw the fist before Taehyung. Anyhow, he deserved that for being a jerk, and I think Daehyun still likes you..."

She was utterly shocked and she wasn't sure if it was a natural reaction from her but she found herself going through her contact list after her phone call with Haejin before it stopped on that particular name, thumb hovering above it. She locked her phone before she could even press it. 

She really doesn't know what to feel about it and no matter how much Haejin told her that she shouldn't feel bad about it and that he deserved it, she couldn't quite convince herself the same.

"Director Kim," she snapped out of her daze and looked up to see her assistant standing before her and forced on a smile that she was used to using. "Yes?"

Well, it's already a week through her job and the amount of things she had to do was piling up every day, and she should really focus if she didn't want to fail at her job. There's no time to think of other things than her work, and even if Haejin's advice was still lingering at the back her mind, working sounded more appealing than killing herself thinking and asking things she can't, yet again, answer.

It was another day at work and the work loads are impossibly growing each day. She was wondering if accepting the job in the first place was a great idea at all.

She could remember how she always wished to graduate fast but now, she wanted to go back studying. Pathetic, right? But she guessed things are just like that. You think one thing is better than the other but realize too late that the other is better and it's just a cycle, depending if you are enjoying it or not.

And now all she can do is do her best in whatever she is doing or else, she would have to face the consequences.

She leaned back on her chair and stretched her arms up. But then again, working is better than getting her mind up worked up about things she couldn't do something about, or rather, wouldn't.

She hadn't really heard anything about him after that phone call with Haejin and even after meeting up with some of the boys and even Daehyun who just stared at her, obviously seeing if she was alright. He didn't mention anything that had happened that night, not about the punch anyway. 

And maybe it was better that way. Hearing more about him just makes her want more even if she knew she had to stop. After all, Taehyung probably got over her and who is she to complain when she was the first one to leave him? She can't even get mad at him. 

"Ahhh, Kim Joohyeon, what are you thinking about again," she muttered to herself as she closed her eyes, tilting her head up. She stayed in that position until she heard a knock on her door and she looked at her door to see who it was. A smile spread to her lips as she saw the guy who stood at her doorway and she leaned forward on her seat.

"And what brings you here, Mr. Yoo?"

The guy smirked before pushing the door close. "Can't I visit my best friend?" He looked around the room before standing by her table, raising an eyebrow.

"And why do I remember you saying you didn't want to be friends?" She narrowed her eyes at him and Youngjae rolled his eyes on her before pushing his jacket back, sitting on the chair in front of her desk.

"Then should I rephrase that?" He clucked his tongue, "Can't I visit my ex-girlfriend?" He said, quirking an eyebrow and Joohyeon snickered.

"All the more you can’t. Don’t you know that?” she said, turning away as she stacked some of her papers. A smirk made its way to his lips as he sat back on the chair, watching her. Joohyeon could feel his gaze on her and like always, she felt bad. She would never stop feeling bad about it, probably.

"Stop staring,” she said, not looking at him.

“Why? Can’t I watch you like I did before?” he said, quirking an eyebrow.

Joohyeon frowned. "Yoo Youngjae, not again."

Youngjae gave her a pressed smile. "Are you free? Let's eat lunch," he said and Joohyeon looked her wrist watch.

"That..."

"C'mon. The work can wait. You have been skipping on your meals, aren't you? Did you forget what you promised me? If you keep on doing this, how can I let you go? I'm going to live my whole life single if you do that," Youngjae said, lopsidedly smiling at her and Joohyeon sighed, knowing she couldn't win over him.

"Fine. I'll never win over you, can I?" She said and Youngjae gave her a teasing smile. "Never."

//

As it turned out Youngjae had already planned everything. She asked him where they were going but Youngjae won't say anything instead, telling her to stop being impatient. Knowing she'll get nothing, she just tried to guess by watching the roads they took. The more they drove, the more her surroundings got familiar and for some reason, her heart is beating abnormally.

Youngjae, on the otherhand, took glances at her, a small smile coming to his lips. He doesn't even know what he was doing right then. All he knows is that no matter how long had gone by, his love for her remained, and maybe that's why he's doing what he was doing. 

"I heard this is where your high school is," he said, glancing at her. Joohyeon turned to him, eyes questioning him.

"Yeah, but why are we here?" She asked. Youngjae just gave her a smile before focusing on the road again. "Yah, Yoo Youngjae, this is not funny, okay?" She was getting nervous and she doesn't even know why. Maybe because that look she could never read was on his face again, and whenever he had that face on, she knew he had something in mind, and most of the times, it takes her by surprise.

"I'm not making you laugh, am I?" He said, quickly looking at her.

There goes his annoying remarks again, she thought to herself.

"You know what, let's go back to the company. The cafeteria food tastes good anyway. I heard today, they are having a special menu—" The car suddenly came to a halt and before she knew it, they were already in front of her school's gate. "Jae—"

"Joohyeon," he gave her a pointed look, "what are you even fussing about?" He knew why but he had to pretend that what she’s thinking is not how it is.

Joohyeon groaned, leaning back on her seat. "I already told you, didn't I?"

"Tell me what?" 

"I'm not having this talk here, Jae. Can we just go, please?" She said, looking at him pleadingly.

Youngjae stared at her, reading her expression. He pursed his lips before shaking his head. "No. I want to visit your old school, and since you can remember fully, you should tour me around." He pushed the button to remove her seatbelt before reaching over and pulling the door handle. Joohyeon glared at him but Youngjae didn't falter, nodding his head to the opened door. Joohyeon crossed her arms over her chest, sitting still on her seat. Youngjae sighed, "How about this, let's make an agreement."

Joohyeon remained stubborn, not looking his way. It took several seconds and a sigh before he said,

"I'll let you go."

Her head snapped to his direction and her eyes narrowed at him, "What?"

Youngjae sighed, closing his eyes as he leaned back on his seat. "How can touring me around your school even be so hard?" 

Joohyeon frowned. "Just because. Why do you even want to suddenly do this?"

"Just because. Now, we've made an agreement. Let's not waste time. Kaja," he said, pushing his door open and stepping out. Seeing that Joohyeon hasn't left the car, he rounded the car to her side and held the door wider for her. "Joohyeon, let's go." Please don’t make this harder for me.

Joohyeon stared up at him and Youngjae quirked an eyebrow. She groaned before finally stepping out. Youngjae smiled in victory before closing the door. They've walked to the gate, Joohyeon trying to calm her heart. She suddenly stopped in her steps, making Youngjae looked at her.

She took a deep breath before facing him. "Promise me this. You'll live a good life and find a girl who will love you more than any girl could. Then, I will do what you want to do," she said, looking straight at his eyes although she was obviously nervous. Youngjae stared at her and it took him seconds before he finally nodded, a small smile on his lips. "I cannot promise but I'll try my best to follow your words. Take it or leave it."

Joohyeon huffed. "Fine."

"Good. Let's go," Youngjae said, smiling, before walking away, his smile faltering once she couldn’t see it.

As Joohyeon stepped inside the vicinity of the school, all memories came rushing back to her like it was already a normal thing for her. The young guard by the gate asked them what they were there for and they were thinking of what to say as an excuse when another guard, a definitely older one, came and Joohyeon immediately recognized him and so as the old guard as he smiled at her.

"Joohyeon? It’s you! What a pleasant surprise! I knew those rumors aren't true," the old guard who had thinner hair compared before, said.

"Neh. Just ran into some trouble I had to leave. Looks like you still remember me, Ahjussi," she said, smiling.

The older guard gave her a doubtful look as he said, "Of course, how can I forget you? I don't think a girl like you creates any trouble. It's your boyfriend who does that a lot." He chuckled and Joohyeon’s heart skipped a beat. She tried to force on a small smile and nod, "I guess so." The guard smiled again. "Are you going for a visit?"

"Yes. Can we? I brought my friend with me," she said, holding onto Youngjae’s arm and Youngjae smiled politely at the man, bowing his head.

"Hello, sir."

"Oh, yes, yes. Good day to you too. Ja, I won't keep you here longer. Now that I think about it, Taehyung just came by. I'm not sure if he had left yet," he said, pursing his lips in thought. Youngjae’s eyes widened while Joohyeon's eyebrows knitted and not wanting to involve the guard, she just nodded and smiled. They were quickly let in and Joohyeon pulled Youngjae to a stop as soon as they were far enough from the gate.

"What?" Youngjae asked innocently at her but she can't be convinced.

"Do you know?" She asked.

"Know what? That that guy is here?" She nodded. Youngjae rolled his eyes. "If I knew, do you think I'll bring you here? You know how I don't like him, being my rival and everything." She gave him a skeptical look before finally sighing. She can't tell she believes him because she knew he was bluffing but he sounded so convincing as what he said was true and they already had an agreement. She won’t break it just because someone was there. She faced forward and started walking. Youngjae watched her back, his lips before a small smile came to his lips. 

Joohyeon looked back and nodded her head to the front entrance, "Aren't you coming?" She asked and Youngjae jogged over to her side. 

They entered the building and since it was still in the middle of lunch hour, there were students loitering around and those who noticed them gave them curious looks, especially the girls who seemed to swoon at the sight of Youngjae who was obliviously looking around.

Joohyeon laughed, "The girls are obviously in love with you." 

"Huh?" Youngjae looked at her and Joohyeon shook her head, an amused smile on her lips. Youngjae noticed the looks and he smirked, “Why, are you jealous?”

Joohyeon scoffed, “Yeah, right.”

Stepping inside the familiar halls of her school brought her back to the days she used to walk and run on them. She remembered how she would walk to her locker every morning where she would usually meet Haejin before they head to class together. She passed through the hallways of her middle school classrooms before they reached the bridge that connected it to the next building which was the high school department. So far, she didn't think it had changed much except for a few new equipment here and there.

She pointed to Youngjae the different rooms as far as she could remember since she was touring him anyway. Sometimes, she would just find herself smiling or laughing and Youngjae would weirdly look at her but smirk, seeing her so carefree. He’d never seen her face that relaxed and he was happy that he could see it. He wished they could just continue like that but he also knew that it wasn’t possible.

They've been walking for a couple of minutes already and the bell had already rung to signal the end of lunch period with students hurrying to get back to their rooms. They were looking through rooms when they heard a voice speak not far from them and they looked up to see a boy in his uniform, probably years younger, standing before them.

"Are you from here, miss?" He asked and Joohyeon, a little surprised, nodded.

"I studied here." 

"Uhm... Are you also looking for something?" He asked and Joohyeon looked at Youngjae, as if he knew something but he just shrugged and she faced the boy again, smiling a little.

"No. I'm just visiting."

"Ah... Is that so," he said, nodding. "Then," he bowed his head and was about to walk away when Joohyeon suddenly held him back, surprising herself, Youngjae, and the boy. She quickly let go of his arm and smiled awkwardly. 

"Sorry but, what do you mean by also?" She asked the boy, not being able to stop her curiosity. What is the chance of it being him? There could be other people coming to visit as well. But she knew she just had to ask.

The boy pursed his lips in thought. "There was this hyung who came before and he was looking for something. Where was it again...Ah! The garden," the boy said, looking up at her. Joohyeon was unable to reply as her mind became clouded by thoughts.

Youngjae, who noticed it, smiled at boy. "Is that so? Sorry for holding you back. You should get to your class. Thank you," he said and the boy curiously looked at Joohyeon before nodding his head and walking away.

"Joohyeon," Youngjae called when Joohyeon still stood not moving. Joohyeon blinked and looked at him. "You're zoning out." 

"Oh, sorry." Joohyeon said and looked forward again. "I guess that would be it. I'm actually starving, should we go and catch a late lunch?" She asked giving him a pressed smile.

"Uhm...There's one more I want to see," he said and Joohyeon's eyebrows furrowed at him. He smiled, "We haven’t walked around the high school department yet and don’t your school have some kind of home economics room? I saw the computer labs and such but not that. Isn’t it normal to have one?" Joohyeon looked dumbfounded for a moment, her mind slowly beginning to catch on. It couldn't just be pure coincidence right?

"Youngjae, are you planning something?" She asked and Youngjae innocently blinked at her.

"Planning what?" He asked and Joohyeon gave him a pointed look. They stayed staring at each other until Youngjae finally sighed and looked away. "I'm tired of doing this game so just come with me," he said, taking her wrist and pulling her with him. Joohyeon was stunned and tried pulling back but Youngjae was way stronger than her. She could hear him mumbling things such as, "Where the heck is that room" and "The things I do." As she listened in on him, she could see how distressed he was as well with it and could only stare at the back of his head until they came to a halt. 

Her head tilted up to read the sign on the top corner of the room: Home Economics. Her stomach felt weird; it has been since Youngjae pulled her.

"Do you remember what you told me?" Youngjae said, snapping her out of her thoughts as she looked at him. Youngjae was looking at her, chest rising up and down. He took a deep breath. "You said you'd do anything for me."

"Yes but you said—"

She really do remember it but when she told him that, he also told her that he didn't want her to feel bad for him, just because they broke up, to be more exact, she dumped him. Then why now? 

"I changed my mind," he said, before holding her on her shoulders, fixing his eyes on her. "I have a favor to ask you." 

She caught herself holding her breath. He can't be asking her that...right? He couldn't have planned them...to meet right? She shook her head.

"Ask me anything but this."

Youngjae's hold on her tightened and he made her look at him. He bit his lips as he took a deep breath and released it as he said, “Then would you come with me? Will you come back to me?”

Joohyeon’s eyes widened as it stared back at him.

Youngjae sighed, "Please, Joohyeon. I know it's hard for you but it's also hard for me. But please, please Joohyeon."

She could just stare at him, like how she had been doing often when she can’t say anything. She can't seem to grasp what was happening yet because it was the last thing she would think Youngjae would do and the favor wasn't even for his own benefit—although she couldn't say it was hers—but obviously, he isn't doing it for himself. And as if he knew her weakness, which she was sure he did, she started to waver. 

"Why..."

Youngjae gave her a small smile, one that didn’t reach his eyes. "Because I can't see you like this,” he paused, taking a measured breath before smiling, one that looked more genuine, “Because I want you to be happy."

At the back of Youngjae’s mind, he knew that once she asked him to go one more time, he might’ve given in and fled with her. But he wasn’t confident that he could make her happy as someone could as he knew that her heart still belonged to someone else and that one thing is holding him back.

They stood there for who knows how long before she looked down, composing herself. She doesn't know if she's doing the right thing but Youngjae has gone all the way for her, even if he knows that in the end, it could hurt him. How was she supposed to throw all the effort away?

And what did he even mean when he said he couldn’t see her like it? How does she even look like? All she had been doing was accomplish her responsibilities as it was given to her and expected of her. And so far, although the road isn’t that smooth, she was able to get by and finish her job. So what did Youngjae even mean?

She heard a sigh and she looked up at Youngjae who still had his eyes on her.

“Believe me. You may not see, but I can—we can.”

We…

It wasn’t just him so it could possibly mean that even Haejin, or Jungkook, the five other boys, Minzy, and even her eleven oppas and Joonmyeon who undeniably grew closer with Youngjae, saw it. Her parents might’ve even noticed it too. Everyone except her.

What had they seen that she hasn’t? Will she be able to know if she followed through his plan?

She looked away as she bit on her bottom lip. What was even holding her back? Hadn’t she already told herself that she was happy for him? That it wasn’t a big deal that he had moved on? She even told Jungkook that she was relieved to know he was living fine. So what’s the problem?

It was true that she can’t get the image of Taehyung with the girl sticking to him during the reunion. It’s also true that she had been curious of how long they have been going out. But isn’t it just normal? Especially after she realized why things went wrong with Youngjae? That, that missing piece she had been searching for all those three years of memory loss and continued to find months later, was him?  How could she not if the boy she had been having in her dreams since she woke up after the accident, the boy who would always be with her in the playground, the school grounds, the park, everywhere, had always been him?

How could she not if she still likes him—love him—after all those years?

She doesn't know if she was ready to meet him or if she will ever be ready but maybe more than being ready, she might need it. Like Haejin said, more than she might think.

And it wasn’t just that. As she thought of it, what’s so wrong about meeting him? It would be awkward, sure, but it was just a given their relationship during the ‘escapade’. She can’t even be mad because in the first place, she was the one who left without a goodbye—twice—although the first wasn’t intentional. There won’t be any problem as long as she would act normal, right?

Inhaling, she gave him a small smile as she nodded.

“I don’t know if this is the right time to meet him but I’ll do it.”

Youngjae smiled at her before pulling her into a hug. "I don't know if I'll regret this also so show me I won't." His arms around her tightened as he held back the tears. He might be a man but he was also human. 

"I will. Thank you, Jae," she said, hugging him back. Youngjae gave her a final squeeze before pulling back. She could see his eyes glistening but chose not to mention anything and just smile at him. He took a step back as he put a hand up.

"Call me if that jerk does anything and I'll run to you as fast as I can," he said and she smiled, nodding. With a wave of his hand, he turned around and walked away.

When he turned the corner, she found herself alone at the empty hallway that seemed to be a little eerie even at daylight. Biting on the insides of her cheek, she faced the door. Gathering up her strength, she pushed the door open.

There, on the same table they've shared during that class sat the boy who once became her enemy, still her first love, her first boyfriend—her turning point.

Moving on wasn’t easy.

It’s proven when Taehyung found himself entering the familiar vicinity again after more than two years. 

When he left that day, after not finding the 'time capsule', he never came back. For him, coming back would just make him doubt his decision and when he thought it was helping him, by the looks of it, it didn't. Instead, it turned him to a jerk.

It didn't take his friends to make him realize that because he knew well how much of a bastard he was becoming but what can he do when it was the only way he could think of to forget? He thought meeting new girls would help because he had heard many people doing the same and some of them were successful that’s why he gave it a try.

He had done a few dates before, mostly blind dates which were just for fun, but it was only Joohyeon who he really asked to be his girlfriend. So as he made that decision to date again, he felt like he went back to those days.

He had met at least ten ladies for the duration of his last two years in college. Some he went out only once and some who he thought was a little nice and wanted to go out again, he dated for twice to thrice. There were others who he somehow saw appealing that he dated for a month or so. But the longest would’ve been three months and that was it.

He knew it wasn’t going to be easy. Moving on was never easy. He had tried doing that for the first three years Joohyeon had gone and he failed miserably. He was able to get by but never was he able to move on. That’s why he knew trying again for the second time wouldn’t be smooth sailing either.

But at least, he thought he will be able to at least meet someone who he would like, probably someone who could help him forget his past love but none of the girls he met was able to do that. When he graduated, he had just given up dating and let time do it’s magic on him.

But he never knew that time wouldn’t even have that chance before fate had decided for their paths to cross again.

That night, when he heard his friends asking if he had seen someone on his way in, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion as he answered, “Of course, there were a lot who came.” He earned a sigh of relief from them and although confused by their reactions, he just shrugged it off, proceeding to introduce the girl, who by the way his cousin forced him to bring and had no choice but to because he found the girl standing in front of his doorstep with his cousin before he left for the party.

He told himself that he will just have fun regardless of the girl with him but he haven’t even sat down when some old classmate who actually hates him and still does, came over to their table and what he said was still clear to his mind up until then.

“Hey Taehyung. Looks like our royal couple has broken up, eh? No wonder. She’s way too good for you. That kid Jungkook looks like he could care for her better.”

What?

His fist was already itching to punch the guy but he couldn’t because he knew he was right. He actually didn’t care about what he said although it did hit the core but something with what he said struck him.

“Wait. You don’t know? Ohhh, looks like you’ve messed up so much she left before you even meet so she wouldn’t have to see your face.”

That moment, his breath hitched to his throat and his heart skipped a beat. He turned to look at his friends, hoping for them to tell him that the guy was just playing a stupid joke on him but the way his friends avoided to look at him already gave him the answer.

He was too dumbfounded that he stood there not saying or doing anything at all until the guy left with his group. The girl with him already looked confused but he couldn’t even care as he turned to his friends.

“You guys know?”

His friends looked conflicted as they looked at each other. Namjoon was just about to say something when he raised his hand up and shook his head.

“No. Don’t. I…” He took a step back letting everything process in his mind. He swallowed before turning around.

What was on his mind then was go after her. He doesn’t know what he’ll do after but he just needs to find her. He could hear the girl with him call out for his name but he could care less as he walked briskly out the door, until his steps turned to a jog. But before he could even get on the elevator, someone held him back.

He shoved the hands off but it held onto him tight and he turned to see who it was and was surprised to see Daehyun. By then, his friends had also gathered by the entrance, and it didn’t take long before some of their schoolmates noticed the commotion and joined in.

“Let go—“

“No,” Daehyun shook his head, “Do you even have the face to see her after letting her see you with that girl?”

“What are you—“

“Leave her be.” Daehyun pushed him by the shoulder as he let go of him before turning around but Taehyung held him back, wanting some clear answer but what he received was a punch on the face followed by the words, “Wake up, Kim Taehyung. Get back to your senses.”

The impact of the punch sent him to the floor and he heard some gasps and his name being called before his friends came over to help him up.

That moment made countless of thoughts ran through his mind. As he was helped up, he pushed his friends’ hands away and staggered away.

“Tae—“

“I’m not going to follow her,” he said, looking over his shoulder before getting on the elevator that had just arrived with a few guests who looked surprised when they saw him in a disheveled state. They exited the elevator leaving Taehyung inside. His friends watched him, worry etched on their faces but they knew better than to follow him.

He walked aimlessly when he left the building. There were so many things in his mind.

Why was she there? When did she come back? Why did Daehyun say that when Joohyeon doesn’t like him the way she did before? She can’t even remember him, then why? Could it be that Daehyun didn’t know that she had an amnesia? Probably since she hadn’t most likely met him before that night. But if she really saw him, why didn’t she at least greet him?

A bitter laugh left his lips.

Right, why would she even greet him? Perhaps he thought she would since they were able to get along somehow with all the nights they stayed up together and those times they went out together. Was she probably mad at him for not seeing her at least once before she left?

And by the looks of it, his friends including Haejin knew Joohyeon was coming. It was obvious that they expected her because who else would tell her about it and bring her there than them? Why didn’t they even tell him?

He couldn’t understand anything and nothing made sense. He got home that night without any answers and didn’t get any answers even in the following days. It was frustrating. Why, because it just proved him how far his moving on went—close to nothing. His curiosity about her was very much still alive. But like always, he thought it was better to just forget it—at least try—until fate decided to play its cards on him again.

It wasn't hard to guess it when Jungkook, who hadn't talked to him in days even during the times they meet up as a group, came to him and told him to go to their school at twelve noon sharp and wait for him at the home economics room. He didn't argue because he knew there was no way he would win especially if all of his friends sided with the boy ever since the reunion and he understood why they do so he just nodded without saying anything else.

Another factor played in his decision though: he had a clue why.

It had been almost an hour since their supposed meeting and the younger boy hasn't arrived yet, just proving his suspicion. Because why else would he be asked to wait in that room when there wasn't really anything significant that happened with either of them there. In short, someone else will be coming; someone who shared a life turning experience there with him.

His eyes scanned the room, noticing the little changes the room underwent. It wasn’t much as the room still looked almost the same. A smile unconsciously drew on his face as the memories of that room replayed in his mind. Their first official meeting that was nothing short of embarrassing now that he thought of it. He totally ruined his first impression on her but he was lucky she still loved him despite it.

He shook his head, stifling his laughter.

What will he do if she ever showed up? Will she remember the importance that room held for him—them? Probably not…

Unless he makes her remember it.

The sound of his phone brought him back from his thoughts and he picked it up from the table and found six new messages that came almost at the same time, all of it bearing the same message:

Don't fcking mess up!

Oh yes, they did plan it. And no, he won’t mess up because he will bet his life on the line: He will tell her everything that day in whatever way he can.

Because as he thought of it, he never really did tell her anything during that one whole month being with her. He dropped clues here and there, and maybe he expected her to remember because of that and found it enough that it didn’t cross his mind that she might need something more definite. Maybe he was too scared that it might hurt her that he couldn’t do it but he missed that it could damage her more if things were left unsaid.

That’s why told himself that if he was given at least one more day to fix everything, then he will.

He felt his heart jump in his chest when he heard the door sliding open. He took seconds before he looked around when he heard the door close. There she stood, in her white blazer over a printed beige dress shirt and a pair of skinny jeans, much like her usual preference with clothing, except that now, she really looked like a lady who goes to the office. She still looked young though even after all those years.

The moment their eyes met, he found all words stuck in his throat as he stared at her. It just occurred to him how he missed her so much. He thinks the saying ‘absence makes the heart fonder’ applies to that moment.

"Hi," she said, pulling him out of his thoughts as his eyes slightly widened.

He cleared his throat, feeling embarrassed of himself.

"Hi…Hello, I mean," he replied and realized how stupid he sounded and looked away, inserting his hands in his pockets. His eyes wandered around the room, trying to think of something to say until he remembered his purpose and looked at her. After all, his friends just cursed him to not mess up. How thoughtful of them. Really. He cleared his throat and tried to act as normal as he could as he nodded to the chair beside him. “Come and sit.” 

How pathetic can I even get?

//

Awkward silence—that’s what there is other than the faint sounds of their breathing.

They both sat in silence, not knowing what to say nor do than steal glances at each other from time to time, thinking of how odd but good it felt to be sitting by each other at the same place after so many years.

Taehyung gulped as he glanced at her through his peripheral, heart beating fast. This was so different compared to their first meeting in their last year of middle school where he wouldn’t stop talking. Now, he found no words to say. But he has to say something, anything, doesn’t he?

“You’re…here.” Great. How stupid can I get?

Joohyeon, who was scanning the room she hadn’t seen in so long, felt her heart jump at his voice. She looked at him and saw his eyes fixated at her. She swallowed, looking away.

She nodded. “Hmm.” This is so awkward. This shouldn’t be. I should just act normal. Act normal.

She took a measured breath and looked at him.

“What are you doing here?” She herself doesn’t know why she followed him when he told her to sit but since they were already there, she might as well say something a little sensible.

“Me?” Taehyung said, looking surprised, and Joohyeon’s lips turned up at one corner, finding him amusing.

Ani. Him,” she said, nodding to an imaginary person beside him and Taehyung jumped up from his seat and looked back, earning a round of laughter from Joohyeon.

Taehyung blushed from embarrassment before looking back at Joohyeon. He opened his mouth to retort when he saw her eyes in crescent as she laughed.

He bit back a smile as he said, “Stop it.”

She pressed her lips together as she tried to stop herself. Taehyung glared at her, making her stop completely.

“Of course I was asking you. There’s nobody else here other than us, right?” She said, arching both eyebrows.

Taehyung scoffed. “Who knows if you’re seeing things I don’t see,” he said, looking forward and peeking at her through his peripheral to see her roll her eyes. He pressed his lips together to prevent the smile coming to his lips. “I should ask you the same. Why are you here?”

“I asked first,” she said, narrowing her eyes at him.

He smirked. “Still the same,” he murmured and when he thought Joohyeon didn’t hear it, her face told otherwise as she stared at him. He didn’t notice it though. “Fine. I was supposed to meet someone here but turns out I was ditched. You?” Taehyung half-lied since he already expected that Jungkook won’t be coming at all. He looked at her and saw her just staring at him, making him feel self-conscious. A smirk came to his lips, “You’re staring, again. Am I that handsome?” He leaned forward a little, snapping her out of her trance as she leaned back.

“No,” she said. “I haven’t seen anybody as ugly as you, that’s why,” she said, sticking her tongue out.

“Me?” He scoffed. “Don’t you know that I used to be one of the heartthrobs of this school?”

Joohyeon’s mouth fell open in feign shock, “Wow. How many girls needed to have their eyes checked?”

Taehyung’s eyes narrowed at her. “I don’t know. You tell me.”

“M-Me?” Joohyeon stammered, surprised with the sudden question. “How would I know! I can’t even remember my time here!” She said without thinking much. Her head snapped to look at him in surprise and saw him staring blankly at her. He still doesn’t know…do he?

He blinked as he looked away. “Right.” He cleared his throat, “Then what are you doing here?”

“I just came to visit…I wanted to see what kind of environment I was in during my middle school years as well as high school, although I wasn’t able to finish it here. I didn’t know you will be here as well,” she half lied since she really didn’t know he was going to be there until they arrived. She bit her bottom lip as she looked to her left where he couldn’t see.

“Then,” she looked back to him and saw him his lips as he looked down on the table, “do you want me to give you a tour?”

Her eyes slightly widened in surprise. She doesn’t know what to say. By then, she was really sure the boy had no idea that she had recovered her memories, especially those she had there. She looked down as he felt his gaze on her.

“I…”

“I’m not forcing you though. I mean, I was just thinking that maybe you would want since we’re already here and I don’t think the person I am supposed to meet is coming. But it’s fine if you don’t want. I could just use up my time for some other things—“

It was amusing as he rambled on that Joohyeon had to stop herself from laughing. She never thought she missed that side of him so much. He would often ramble when he was too nervous or didn’t know what to say, and somehow, Joohyeon felt good to be the cause of those emotions from him. She’d like to think that way at least. Before he could say another arrogant remark, she decided to cut in his words.

“Sure,” she said, looking up at him, “Now that I think of it. That would be good idea.” Taehyung looked surprised as he stared at her and Joohyeon pursed her lips as she shrugged. “Maybe I could regain some memories if someone who I knew from my Namyang days tours me around?”

Taehyung looked like he was still processing her words and she pursed her lips.

“Well, its fine if you don’t want to. I could just ask Haejin or Hoseok or maybe Seokjin—“

“No. I’ll do it,” he said so quickly, his cheeks turning to a shade of red. She just stared at him, wondering why he acts that way around her when he is already dating another girl. Unless she was wrong, she don’t think it is appropriate for him to do just that.

He abruptly stood up and inserted his hands in his pockets as he swallowed. “Wha-What are you still doing there? Let’s go,” he said, turning around and walking away.

Taehyung looked around as he reached the door and cluck his tongue.

“Aigoo, are you still slow after all these years?”

She snickered before getting off the chair. She walked towards where he is and as she passed by him, she said, “No. You just walk fast,” before walking ahead of him.

Taehyung watched after her and a smirk came to his lips as he closed the door and followed after her.

 

It felt good walking on the same halls as they did seven years back. Albeit it being a little awkward.

Since they left the home economics room, they barely had spoken a word to each other, other than Taehyung telling her which room is which. She tried hard focusing on what he was saying but most of the time, she just ends up staring at him.

She can’t believe that they will have this kind of opportunity coming their way although a little sudden. She should’ve known the six other boys wouldn’t sit back and watch them acting like they don’t know each other. What she didn’t expect was Youngjae even agreeing to their plan. She was still thankful though, even if it’s already too late to tell Taehyung that she already remembers and that she still felt the same way. It was her fault for leaving without telling him anyway, and even telling the boys to keep it from him.

What would be its use when he’s already dating someone? It might just make her look like she’s trying to ruin a relationship, and not to mention, desperate. Although one way or another, she is, she won’t stoop down to that level.

As she stole glances at him, she could still see the faint reminder of the bruise he received from the punch Daehyun gave him at the corner of his lips. She wanted to ask if he was okay or if it still hurts but she doesn’t know how to ask without sounding not like her.

“I heard someone punched you,” she said as nonchalantly as she can, looking through the doors of the rooms they passed by. She assumed since she wasn’t really paying attention to where they were going that they were already at the clubs floor since the rooms are all empty.

Taehyung was taken aback by the question, his tongue unconsciously darting to the side of his lips where the punch left a bruise. Is she being concerned right now, he thought, sneaking a glance at her. A faint smile came to his lips as he detected the feign indifference in her voice. Like he thought, the Joohyeon he knew before is still the same Joohyeon walking beside him right now.

He shrugged, “Nothing that could put me down.”

She scoffed, “Right.”

He blocked her path and pressed his lips to a mischievous smile, “Why? Are you worried?” He leaned forward, making Joohyeon hold her breath.

She stared up at him, at the familiar brown of his eyes. She could feel the fast beating of her heart and the butterflies coming alive in her stomach. She wasn’t able to look at him this close in so long she actually didn’t want to look away. But she had to.

She flicked his forehead and Taehyung leaned back in surprise, holding his forehead.

“Hey! What was that for?” He hissed in pain and Joohyeon smirked.

“You’re being ridiculous.”

Taehyung looked hurt for a second before he narrowed his eyes on her. “Am not. What are you going to do about this? This is harassment, you know!” He said, pointing at his forehead.

Joohyeon’s eyes slightly widened in surprise. She didn’t know she flicked it that hard. Taehyung noticed the reaction on her face and turned to the glass on the door and to his reflection, to see a faint red spot on his forehead.

It didn’t really matter. In fact, he was amused because it had been so long since the last time Joohyeon did the same and he didn’t expect that she still hits hard for it to actually leave a mark. But he has to take all opportunities thrown his way or anything that he could turn into an opportunity, like that small flicking on the forehead.

“You should take responsibility for this!” He said although a little childish, he didn’t care.

Joohyeon’s jaw went slack. “What? It’s just small. It’ll disappear in a few minutes.”

“But it hurts,” Taehyung said, feigning pain, nose scrunched. He peeked at her and found her looking at him indifferently. Knowing he needed to exert more effort, he added, “Ahh… My doctor even told me to take care not to hit my head. Maybe I would have to return later. Ahh… What would I just say?” He looked at her through one eye and found her face in surprise.

“Doctor? What? Did he punch you that hard you needed to see the doctor? Does it really hurt so much?” She said in panic, immediately walking forward, gently pushing his fridge off of his forehead to take a look.

Taehyung was too stunned to move. His heart was about to burst out of his chest and his breath hitched in his throat. His face was already burning from her nearness and her hand on his forehead. He never felt like this in so many years. No girl he dated in the span of Joohyeon’s absence made him feel anything near to it. It just proved to him that all his effort of moving on was for nothing because no one could really replace her. Ever.

While Joohyeon was busy fussing over him, his eyes stayed glued on her and he gulped. He had an urge to kiss her right then and there but he head to stop himself. The action itself took a lot of effort in his part.

“You’re still concerned over me,” he said and Joohyeon looked at him, her movements coming to a halt. It was only then that it hit her that he was just lying and she inched away from him, taking a step back. Her face was already on fire.

They stood there in silence as Joohyeon avoided his eyes. Taehyung on the other hand had a smile on his lips, seeing her flushed face.

“Who said so? I just thought I had to take responsible for you,” she said in defense but Taehyung just stared at her, smirking, obviously not taking whatever she had said seriously. Clearing , “I’m leaving,” she said, making a move to turn and Taehyung immediately took her hand, stopping her. She felt her heart skip another beat. She stared at their hands and then up to him who fixed his eyes on hers. “Y-Yah.”

Instead of loosening his grip or letting go, his hold tightened and before she knew it, he had already pulled her with him as he broke into a jog.

“Hey. Where are you going?”

“I want to let you see something,” he said over his shoulder.

The way they were running brought so many memories to rush in her mind. She could remember the times when Taehyung used to steal or snatch her away from her friends, basically Haejin or any of the six boys. Rarely would it be someone else. Sometimes it would be during the times she is talking with Daehyun in the classroom before leaving for lunch or in the hallways at random times.

She would never forget it. Not again.

With so many thoughts clouding her mind, she didn’t notice it when they finally came to a stop. A tug on her hand brought her back and she looked up to see where they were.

The garden.

Her stomach flipped and her heart fluttered. They are at that place again. The area in the school that held so much of their memories. It looked a little different from the time they spent in it years ago since it was just renovated but the feeling of the place is still there. It would still make her feel light and happy. It was the place where they could always be true to themselves and free from the prying eyes of other people.

“Do you remember?”

She was pulled out from her thoughts as Taehyung pointed at a place in the middle of the field which could be seen from where they are. And as if she was back in that winter day almost seven years ago, the scene played before her eyes.

She could remember how so many students stopped their business and paid attention to the teenage boy standing in the middle of the field, shouting so loud it was so hard to miss him. The younger version of her, on the other hand, was dragged to her feet and pulled to the window, her eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

“What is he doing there?” She remembered asking Haejin who stood beside her but the girl only squealed as she gripped on her upper arm. “Yah. What—“

Then it happened. The young Taehyung professing his love to the whole student body present to witness it who, like her, gathered by the windows in the hallways, classrooms, or the cafeteria since it was lunch time. What was absurd was that it was raining snow and due to the cold weather, nobody really dared to go out. Everybody but him. She was too stunned to do anything nor say anything as she stared at him while the students around was already cheering. Her heart was crazily beating in her chest. She didn’t even notice when the other six boys reached them. So many thoughts were running in her mind all at once during that time.

What is he doing?

Did he just confess to me?

Is he insane?

Maybe it was the first time that she didn’t know what to do but stare wide eyed at the boy who was staring at her from the snowy field. She could still remember it like it was just yesterday how all sounds around her muted and all she could hear was the fast beating of her heart.

He opened his mouth to say something but before he could even say what he wanted to say, a teacher come shouting for him and the next thing she knew, Taehyung was being dragged by the ear by the teacher.

The memory was still so fresh in her mind and it would still make her heart flutter and her lips to curl to a smile every time she remembers it. It was actually odd how she could remember it so clearly when her other memories came in pieces that she still had to find the missing puzzles.

But the question is, why was Taehyung asking her about it? Does it still even matter to him, now that he is committed to another girl?

She heard him softly chuckle, making her look up at him.

“It’s still embarrassing to think about it,” he said.

“Then why did you do it?” The question slipped through her lips before she could even think about it. She looked away when she realized it and bit her bottom lip. She just gave away the fact that she had recovered her memory. Great.

“Because I really like her. That girl.” Her heart made a somersault and her breath hitched to .

Wait, did I just hear him say ‘her’?

“Her?” She asked, just making sure she heard it right because if she did, then it could only mean that Taehyung hasn’t caught up with her act yet but still, she doubt it because the boy couldn’t be that stupid.

Taehyung nodded, inserting his hands in the pockets of his jeans, facing her.

“She’s really not my type, you know.”

“What?” She didn’t expect to say it out loud but she did, in little annoyance.

Taehyung tilted his head a little, quirking an eyebrow. “Why?”

She gulped, shaking her head as she looked away. “Then how did you even like her?”

Taehyung put a finger to his chin, an arm crossed on his chest as he wore a thoughtful face. “How? Uhm… Let’s see. She’s pretty…but that’s also quite a problem because there are so many guys who go after her,” he said, jutting his bottom lip out in thought. “What else…Ah, she’s witty and smart…but then, because of it, I lose to her most of the times so not that. She’s also really stubborn. Uhm… You’re right. How did I even like her?”

When that question came out of his mouth, she wasn’t sure whether she was supposed to answer it or she would just focus on the feelings his words created in her, because honestly, she wasn’t sure if she would be annoyed or she would just take it as him annoying her. Yet again.

Taehyung watched her through his peripheral view and a smirk came to his lips seeing her eyebrows furrowed, her lips pressed together in a way that told him that she was annoyed. He fought the big smile on his face as he inserted his hands back in his pockets.

“Ah,” he said, startling Joohyeon who was immersed in her thoughts. “I remember now why.” He looked at her, a soft smile on his lips.

Joohyeon looked at him, “What did you remember?”

“Why I like her,” he said and Joohyeon swallowed, looking away.

“Why are you even telling me?”

It was a question that had been bugging her since the conversation about the girl he likes started but didn’t have the courage to ask until then. She peeked at him and Taehyung was still looking at her. She wondered when her heart would stop beating so fast. Probably not. Not when he’s standing so close to her with his eyes on her. It’s just impossible.

Taehyung’s hands clenched and unclenched in hesitation, his own heart beating fast in his chest. He his lips wet and took a deep breath. This is my chance, he thought, it’s now or never.

He held her shoulders and gently turned her to him. Joohyeon had her eyes cast down and he took her chin in his fore finger and thumb, tilting her head to look at him.

Joohyeon didn’t know where to look, her mind blank. How is she supposed to act, she doesn’t know. She was completely at lost as mixed feelings brewed in the pit of her stomach. There it was again, the feeling of everything being right but wrong at the same time. The only difference now is that she’s the single one and he’s the one committed to someone.

She wanted to laugh at how complicated everything is always between them. She can’t even assume that he still likes her the way he did before. His actions itself didn’t made sense to her if not because he still has feelings for her. But again, she can’t be sure of that.

“There’s only one reason I could think of,” he breathed out, his eyes moving from her lips back to her eyes.

She swallowed, biting her bottom lip. She wondered if he could see how nervous she is at that moment. “What is that reason?” She managed to say but so soft, she wondered if he heard it. Most likely he did because she was so near to him.

A small smirk came to his lips, his eyes seeming to search her eyes for something she wasn’t sure what. She wasn’t stupid though. She knew where this could lead with the position they are in but no matter how much she wanted to feel his lips on hers, she needed to control herself and be the rational one between them because Taehyung didn’t seem to be in his right mind with what he’s doing. But even if she tried to be so rational, her irrational side is kicking in, making her just stand there without doing anything.

A few seconds later, Taehyung slowly leaned down towards her, his eyes still on her as if he was making sure that it was okay. He stopped a breath away, his eyes moving to her lips.

“Because…” he said in a whisper before looking at her eyes again, a soft tender smile on his lips. He moved his head and placed a kiss on her forehead, the feeling bringing a memory to her mind.

The kiss during that one night in the country side and another one on a different night. Then at the hospital before I came back to Seoul. It was all him. No wonder. 

Taehyung gazed at her, his thumb caressing the side of her face, sending shivers down her spine. He smiled again, “Because you are you.”

He pressed his lips on hers and Joohyeon was too stunned to do anything. Maybe it was instincts but her eyes slowly fluttered close no matter what her rational side told her. She can’t even think of anything else at that moment other than how his lips were warm and soft against hers. He inched away, leaving her lips for a second as he angled his head, before moving his lips against hers and she was probably out of her mind because rather than stopping whatever is happening, her lips willingly responded to him.

She wasn’t sure how long it lasted before they both pulled away, his forehead leaning against hers with his eyes still closed. They were both trying to calm their hearts and catch on their breaths. It was Taehyung who broke the silence between them as he opened his eyes.

“It took me so long, didn’t I?”

Joohyeon opened her eyes and looked up at him in little surprise.

“You know?”

Taehyung’s lips formed a smirk. “It wasn’t hard to know. I’ll give you credit though,” he winked.

“Right, thanks,” she said, finally moving away from their position and looking away. She bit back the smile that was about to come to her lips.

Taehyung chuckled, founding her sarcastic side adorable.

“Aren’t you dating someone?” She asked after a while, catching Taehyung off guard.

“I do?” Taehyung asked in complete surprise.

Joohyeon narrowed her eyes on him, “That girl… Are you acting like you don’t know or what…”

Taehyung thought for a moment before he remembered. “Ah! You mean, Haneul?”

“I don’t know. You’re the one who flaunted her during the reunion.” She didn’t mean to sound annoyed but it just came out the way it is and there’s no way she can take it back.

Taehyung gazed at her, a smirk to his lips, “Are you being jealous of her right now?”

Joohyeon’s cheeks turned warm, “What? Who told you? Of course not!”

Taehyung his lips, a wide smile coming to his lips as he tried to stop himself from laughing.

Joohyeon turned away, feeling stupid for acting the way she is. She shut her eyes in annoyance with herself. She was jealous, she was going to admit that but not to him.

He held her on her arm and gently spun her to face him. He tugged her forward and circled his arms around her.

“I’m sorry about that night. I know there’s no excuse for my actions and I’m really regretting it right now. I’m really sorry. Forgive me, oh?” he said, tightly hugging her.

Sometimes she hates herself for easily forgiving others even if they caused her so much pain but she just can’t hold grudges for so long, especially not people important to her. Life is too short for that, she knows.

She wasn’t even mad at him in the first place.

“I’ll think of it,” she said, wanting to .

“As long as you’ll think about it,” he said, smiling as he buried his head to the crook of her neck, smelling her familiar scent. “You still wear the same perfume,” he said, his warm breath hitting the skin on her neck. She felt her heart jump to as she tried to move away from the hug but Taehyung wouldn’t let her go.

“You’re also wearing the same scent,” she said, trying to hide how he made her heart race with only simple words.

“Because you said you liked it,” he said, smirking and Joohyeon playfully hit him on the back.

“Says who?”

Taehyung didn’t say anything more as he just gave her another squeeze, wanting to savor the moment because he knew it won’t last for that long. They stayed like that for who knows how long before Taehyung finally let her go.

They stood there in silence, knowing that when either of them breaks it, there’s a possibility that the moment would already end.

Joohyeon took a deep breath, her eyes cast down. Taehyung on the other hand just watched her, taking all the time he could to make up for the missed years although he knew it wouldn’t be enough. He just didn’t want to look away.

“I’ve thought about it…” Joohyeon began as she played with her hands. Taehyung bit his bottom lip. Joohyeon cautiously looked at him and rather than a crest fallen face, he gave her an assuring smile. He had always made sure to make her comfortable with whatever she wanted to do or say to the point that he didn’t care about how he himself felt and she would always feel bad and thankful for it. “With the years that had gone by, there are many things that happened that neither of us can control nor stop. We’ve done stupid things and had been reckless. I realized that it could be because we’ve been rushing into things that we miss the most important ones or in wanting to get there, we’ve neglected things we should’ve not. Or maybe simply because we were too young to care.” She took a measured breath and smiled at him, “Two more years went by and I’m really happy to meet you again and to spend it here with you after so many years.”

“So do I,” he smirked.

She shook her head, a soft smile on her lips. “This time, can we just take things one step at a time?” She wasn’t sure what to expect from him when those words came out of her lips but a very sincere and carefree smile definitely isn’t one of them but the boy did as he ruffled her hair.

“Of course. I also learned a lot of things on the way and one of the things I’ve learned is to not be hasty,” he said, smirking at the memories his hasty actions caused him. He looked back at her eyes and smiled, “Maybe it’s already a part of my character but I really want to skip all the other things and just ask you right now to be my girlfriend again.”

Joohyeon quirked an eyebrow, a lopsided smile on her lips.

“But I’ll do as you say and I’ll start from square one,” he said, grinning.

Joohyeon pressed her lips to a smile. “Wow, you’ve really matured, Tae.”

Taehyung smiled, “I really missed that name.”

“Huh?” She said and realized what he was saying and playfully scoffed. “Others call you that too.”

“They’re not you so it’s different, Hyeon.” Joohyeon raised an eyebrow at him and he grinned. “I know I still have a long way to go so can I start now?”

Joohyeon chuckled at his words while Taehyung smiled widely.

“Can I ask for a little time from your day?” Taehyung said in a gentlemanly yet hopeful manner.

Joohyeon can’t help but smile at his antics. She pursed her lips and checked the time on her wrist watch before looking up at him, “Only if you can wait until my clock out.”

Taehyung jut his lower lip, “Can you just go back later?”

Joohyeon shook her head, lips set in a firm line.

Taehyung sighed. “Fine.” He checked his wrist watch, tapping it. “What time do you get out?”

“Today, I think seven since I’ve extended my lunch break for too long,” she said.

“Good. I’ll pick you up at seven in front of your building,” he said, smiling.

She nodded, “Good with me.”

“C’mon. I’ll drive you back,” Taehyung said, instinctively holding her hand and realized it a little late, “I can hold your hand, right?” Taehyung asked uncertainly, making Joohyeon smile at his awkwardness.

“Okay. As long as you drive me back because like I said, I’m already past my lunch break,” she playfully grinned and Taehyung chuckled.

“I’ll drive you anywhere whenever you want as long as I can hold your hand,” he winked, weaving his fingers with hers, “Let’s go.”

She smiled. “Yeah, let’s go.”


A/N:

KKEUT!

We've finally reached the end of our couple's love story. ^^

What do you think about the ending? I don't know if I've reached your expectations but I really tried my best to make it as satisfying as possible. I also hope the fluff in this chapter made up for all the times where there weren't so much 'romantic' interaction between them. Also, the most awaited(?) kiss! It finally happened. XD

I'll keep this short because as I've said in my previous author's notes, there will still be an epilogue so I hope you'll also wait for that. I'm not sure when I'll be able to post that but hopefully within this coming week. (I'm going back for a new semester so I'll be busy again. Heol). It would be a look years later from this chapter. Who knows if they'll still be together... ^^

I'll see you in the next chapter! 

I want to say thank you for commenting, subscribing, upvoting, and reading! It really really means a lot! I was surprised with the amount of subscription and upvotes I received after posting up the previous chapter so I'm really thankful for all the love and support this fanfic is receiving and I'd like you to know that I love you guys! Kekeke.