049

One More Day

She felt like floating. Her eyes felt heavy and opening them hurt. Her limbs ached with every attempt to move and was too dry and her breathing came in short. It was a frustrating moment. She knew that feeling too well as it had happened countless of times in the past. She could hear people in the background arguing but nothing made sense to her ears. Is it even real or was she dreaming again? It was always the same. But if it was real this time, she could tell who they were as it were voices she'll recognize almost anywhere. 

One was almost screaming at the other. Youngjae. The other speaking in a rather calm but hard voice. Taehyung. It continued until another voice cut in. Her brother's voice. She could tell but what were they saying? It turned silent after that and she wondered what was happening until the door creaked open and before she knew it, she was forced back into that playground with the boy and the girl.

 

The sun was starting rise in the horizon, its first sunbeams penetrating the curtains of his shared room's windows. A ray of light that passed through the gap between his curtains had directly hit his one side of the body, tracing and creating a shadow on his handsome features but despite the heat, he remained still sitting, his back pressed on his headboard, his eyes trained on the wall opposite his bed.

It had been exactly fifteen hours since they'd found her in her room unconscious, fourteen hours since they brought her to the hospital, and twelve hours and thirty minutes since he'd last seen her. Since they got home eleven hours ago, he hadn't blinked for even a sleep. He barely even moved from his position since he'd settled down on the bed, blankly staring at the wall opposite the bed, mind clouded by so many thoughts.

The boys on the otherhand left him be, knowing full well that he needed some time for himself, especially after what had happened. It had been a shock to them and they couldn't imagine how Taehyung must've felt if they themselves felt broken when they saw her almost lifeless. Jimin had roomed with Seokjin and Namjoon for the night to give Taehyung a time alone. They themselves had a hard time sleeping that night but they knew it was nothing compared to what Taehyung is feeling. The latter hadn't even eaten a bite of dinner. They tried forcing him, even saying that Joohyeon will be disappointed if he gets sick but it seemed like all his auditory sense was blocked out and he couldn't hear anything other than his own thoughts. 

It was Jungkook who got up earliest since he himself couldn't sleep comfortably. He sat up from his bed and held his throbbing head, massaging it. He sighed as he let his hand fall to his side, the events the day before replaying in his head. He looked to his sides as he heard someone moving and found that Yoongi had woke up as well. It didn't take long before Hoseok opened his eyes with a groan, complaining that he felt like he have some sort of a hung-over. 

They stayed still on their beds for a while in silence until Yoongi opened his mouth, wondering outloud whether Joohyeon had woken up as well. 

"I'm sure she is. If not, I'm sure she will, soon," Jungkook replied, biting his bottom lip. The two boys hummed in reply.

Second later, Hoseok straightened his back, remembering something. "Right. Have any of you checked on Taehyung yet?" Hoseok said, looking at the two boys on his left. They both shook their heads with a sigh.

"I wonder if he'd at least gotten a wink of sleep," Yoongi mumbled when their was a soft knock on their door and their heads snapped up. The door opened to reveal Seokjin and Namjoon who stood behind him, yawning. 

"Hyung," Jungkook said and Seokjin nodded.

"You guys are up too?" Hoseok said and Namjoon nodded, raking his hair back. "Can't really sleep comfortably," he shrugged.

"How about you guys? Been up long?" Seokjin asked, looking at the three boys.

"No, we've just gotten up a little just before you came," Yoongi said with a small shake of his head. "Jimin?" He asked when he noticed the only boy not around.

"Bathroom," Namjoon answered as he leaned on the doorway and Yoongi nodded in understanding.

"Taehyung, have you checked on him?" Jungkook asked.

Seokjin sighed, shaking his head. "Not yet. I bet that guy hadn't slept at all."

Namjoon his lips as he said, "Can't blame him. He went through hell yesterday."

 

As soon as they reached the nearest hospital, Taehyung scooped Joohyeon to his arms as Hoseok pulled the door open. They couldn't even understand what's happening as they were all panicking except for Seokjin who told himself to stay calm for the rest of them. Seokjin approached the nearest nurse and asked them to help them and not soon after, nurses rushed to them with a portable wheeled bed. Taehyung carefully placed her down and soon enough, she was being pushed down the hall to the emergency room. Taehyung hadn't left her side while the other five boys were held back by Seokjin. He couldn't do anything when the nurse told him to stay and wait outside. He couldn't even remember what he said except Joohyeon's pale face and how he felt her hand slipping away from his as she disappeared into the room. The six boys soon caught up with him and stood around him, no one saying a word until a nurse approached them.

"Excuse me but may I know who's the guardian of the patient? A relative perhaps?" The nurse asked, a clipboard on hand as she looked at them. Nobody was able to speak a word as nobody of them is her relative.

Finally, after a while, Namjoon broke the quiet atmosphere as he felt sorry for the nurse waiting. "We're her friends, and I'm afraid anybody from her family couldn't be here but can we sign it on their stead? We will call them up as soon as possible." The nurse looked hesitant for a while before she nodded. They were asked to answer and sign some sheets of paper. Namjoon received it and scanned the papers and was about to sign but stopped when he realized that if there was anybody closest who should sign it, then it shouldn't be him.

"Taehyung," he called and the called boy looked up to him who still looked in a daze. Namjoon held the clipboard to him, "You do it." Taehyung looked hesitant for a moment, not sure if he has the rights to sign it. He snapped out of his thoughts when Jungkook spoke up, telling him that if he won't do it, then he would. Not comfortable with that thought either, he grabbed the clipboard and pen from Namjoon and tried to calm his mind enough to understand the contents of the papers. He scanned through it before finally affixing his signature at the bottom right of the page above the line. Seokjin took the clipboard from him and volunteered to submit it to the nurse desk.

As soon as Seokjin came back, the boys were scattered at the hallway. Taehyung was standing and leaning on the wall near the emergency door, head bent down. Jungkook kept on walking back and forth opposite him, Jimin watching him and later telling him to stop as he was making him dizzy but it didn't stop the younger boy. Namjoon, Yoongi, and Hoseok sat on the benches looking a little bit on a daze. He heaved a sigh before deciding on approaching Jungkook. They still needed to decide about calling any of Joohyeon's family and he was sure Jungkook had a contact with any of them if ever.

"Kook," he called but the boy still kept on walking, halting just to check the time on his watch before proceeding. Jimin groaned, holding his head in his palms as he shook his head. "Hyung, please stop this boy. I'll go over Taehyung and try talking to him," he mumbled before walking off and joining Taehyung on the other side. Seokjin nodded smally before looking at Jungkook who still kept on walking before finally grabbing him by the shoulders to stop him. The younger boy looked startled for a moment as his eyes widened before it went back to it's solemn state.

"Hyung," he muttered and Seokjin sighed, squeezing him on the shoulders.

"I know it's hard but you need to relax yourself. Joohyeon will be alright, I'm sure of that. For now, there's a matter we have to talk about," he said and Jungkook looked confused and Seokjin pressed his lips together, "Her family." Jungkook bit the insides of his cheeks, taking a deep breath. 

"Do we need to? I mean...Joohyeon noona...would she like that?" Jungkook asked warily. In truth, it wasn't just because he worried that Joohyeon wouldn't want to call her family, but because he's afraid that once they come, they'll take her away from them and he'll never see her again. Call him childish but it already happened before so it's not impossible that they will do it again.

Seokjin his lips as he leaned on the wall, directing his gaze to the ceiling. "She might not want to worry her family but among all of us, I think Joohyeon would need her family more. At least her brother. None of us really know what to do in this situation so if it's going to be for her own good, then we should tell them, right?" Seokjin looked at him and found the younger boy staring hard at the wall as his hand balled to a fist. He felt a gaze on him and he looked forward to see Taehyung staring at them with a straight face but eyes full of emotions.

"Okay... I'll give her brother a call," Jungkook said with a strained voice before walking off. Seokjin nodded as he watched him go before looking at Taehyung again who had his gaze focused on the door of the emergency room again. Jimin who stood by his side had given up talking to him and just leaned on the wall beside him.

Seokjin knew that he should've spoken to Taehyung about it first but he also knows that talking to the boy when his mind is too occupied will be difficult. His head snapped to the door of the ER when it was pushed open and a doctor stepped out. He looked startled for a while to see six boys outside before composing himself again and looking at his clipboard. Those who was sitting stood up and those leaning on the wall pushed themselves off of it and approached the doctor.

"Are you boys related to the patient Kim Joohyeon?" He asked as he read from the clipbaord. Surprisingly, Taehyung was the first one to answer.

"We're..." They saw him struggle for a while, his eyebrows furrowing as he gulped. "We're her friends. Is she...Is she alright?" Taehyung asked. The doctor looked skeptical for a moment before nodding. It's not because he didn't believe that they are her friends but because it didn't look like that he was just a friend but it wasn't his business so he just nodded. "I see. Any relatives who came?" He asked as he scanned the boys and just then, Jungkook came back, running to get to them.

"They are on their way," he answered, stopping beside Yoongi, slightly panting. The doctor pursed his lips before nodding. "Is she okay? It's nothing serious, right?" Jungkook asked, heart beating hard in his chest.

The doctor smiled sadly and it made their hearts stop for a moment. "We have ran some tests on her... Was she involved in a sort of accident before? Perhaps a car accident?" He asked as he read through his clipboard before looking at them.

Seokjin gulped. "Y-Yes, sir. It happened three years ago."

The doctor nodded in understanding, lips pursed in a line. "Did she suffer from any injury...brain injury?" He asked and the boys exchanged looks except Taehyung whose eyes hardened as he stared on the floor, his fist curling to a fist.

"As far as we know, she had been suffering from amnesia ever since she woke up from coma after the accident... Is it...somehow related to it?" Hoseok answered.

"I understand. Well, we don't see any major complications right now," a round of sighs could be heard, "But she would still have to go through some more tests to see if she needed immediate medications. Because as it turned out, she hadn't been taking her medications lately. For now, she will be transferred to a regular room in a while," the doctor smiled. He was about to walk off but stopped and said, "If any of her immediate family member had come, please do tell them to meet me. I'm Doctor Hwang," he said before smiling again and leaving.

"Thank God she's alright but what's up with the medications?" Jimin said, hand clasped to his chest. His question met no answer as they heard the ER door opening again and they all turned to see Joohyeon being rolled out, still unconscious. Without any word, they all followed her to her room.

 

Taehyung, Hoseok, Yoongi, and Jungkook had stayed in the room while the other three left to grab some food since it's already dinner time. Taehyung stood by her bed, watching her pale figure still lie unconscious. He had never seen her so vulnerable before, even during the times that she would catch a fever. And it pained him to think that he is partly the reason why she is suffering. Joohyeon had always been a strong girl so seeing her almost lifeless was a first. He reached out, about to brush the stray strands away from her face but stopped, his hands hovering just above her forehead. 

He began asking himself if he was even allowed to touch her, lest stand in the same room as her. His jaw clenched, his hand curling to a fist. He remembered one of the questions he had asked her during their game. He asked her what she will do if ever the reason she got into an accident was because she was going after someone. 'Will you get mad at that person?' He asked. He remembered how her eyebrows furrowed and her lips pout as she thought of it. He remembered how his heart was beating so hard in his chest as he waited for her answer and his breath hitching once she opened to answer.

"Well, if I'm really chasing after someone that's why I got into an accident, then..." She looked up at him and shook her head, "No." He swore he felt his heart so at ease other than that time but he still couldn't feel as relieved because he knew that Joohyeon had always been that considerate. "I mean, it's not like he or she wanted me to get into that accident right? There's a reason why an accident is called an accident. It's not intended. I'm the one chasing him or her too. Uhm... If ever that is true, although my brother told me that I was just heading home from meeting one of my oppas, then that person must be really important..."

He felt his chest getting heavy and he found himself gripping the table beside her bed for support. His hand cautiously reached out to hold her hands only to feel it cold. It wasn't new because her hands would often be really cold, and most of the times, he would hold it to keep it warm. He was careful not to hold her too tight nor too loose but enough for her to feel his warmth, and for him to feel her hand. 

"I'm sorry. I'm really sorry," he said softly, hoping it'll reach her ears. He leaned in, hesitating for a second before planting a kiss on her forehead. When he pulled away a few seconds later, the door burst open, capturing all of their attention. At the door stood Joonmyeon, Joohyeon's brother and behind him, was Youngjae. It hadn't been a minute before more guys came, standing behind the first two who came. He was sure it was her brother's best friends. He was always astounded at the number of boys in Joohyeon's life but it wasn't the time to think of it.

Joonmyeon looked at her sister before his eyes settled on him. Reluctantly, he let go of Joohyeon's hand and bowed his head. The other three guys did the same. It was normal thing as first of all, Joonmyeon holds some position and he was a senior in their school; it wasn't anything new. Joonmyeon's jaw clenched as he looked back to his sister and approached the bed followed by Youngjae. Silence dominated the room and rather than it to be peaceful, it was full of tension. Taehyung had stepped aside to give way, his hands clasping behind his back as he avoided any eye contact. It had been months since he stood in the same room as her brother and like always, he held that authority that made him small, may it be being a CEO of the company or Joohyeon's brother.

"What happened?" Joonmyeon asked quietly. The three boys looked nervous as they exchanged glances. 

"I'm sorry. I--" Taehyung was cut off when a hand pulled him on the collars. 

"You..." His voice was hard, anger obviously eminating from his voice. "I knew you'll be no good but I trusted Joohyeon because she told me you guys are taking care of her. But what happened?! WHY IS SHE HERE NOW?!" 

Taehyung gulped. Not little bit was he fazed by the tone of Youngjae's voice but rather the guilt he felt. His eyes hardened on him as he said, "I understand why you are mad but nobody wanted this to happen. Especially not me. And I'm sure you know that."

"HOW DARE YOU--"

"Jae. Not here," Joonmyeon's voice cut through, and reluctantly, Youngjae let go of his grip, pushing Taehyung on the chest in the process. The next few minutes was a blur as Joohyeon's oppas came rushing through the door and by the looks of it, they were all so used to it that they looked a little more relaxed than they are but still, they were looking anxious. Three of their friends came but stopped by the door when they noticed that Joohyeon's brother has arrived. It was a little bit chaotic in the room with so many people and the boys knew it was time for them to leave.

Hoseok approached Taehyung and patted him on the shoulder. Taehyung looked at him and Hoseok just gave him a soft smile and a nod and his jaw clenched before he nodded once. Jungkook approached Joonmyeon to tell him that they will head out already and it turned quiet as they watched the four boys leave the room. They bowed before turning around to the door but as Taehyung turned, he saw one of Joohyeon's oppas, the one who he had seen in many of Joohyeon's pictures in her phone and if he remembers clearly, his name was Luhan, look at him with an unreadable expression on his face. He looked down before finally following the other boys out the room.

They were already half way the corridor when they heard footsteps following them followed by a voice. "Taehyung-ssi." The boys all halted, turning, except Taehyung who stood rooted on his spot. They looked at Youngjae before looking at Taehyung. Youngjae approached them and stopped a meter from them. "Can I have a word with you?" The boys looked cautious as they looked from Youngjae to Taehyung. 

Taehyung took a deep breath before he met eyes with the his best friends who also waited for his response. They understood it right away and Seokjin told Taehyung that they will be waiting by the car. Once they were left, Taehyung spun around to face him, not saying a word as he waited for him to say something. Youngjae craned his head to the right to the door of the room where Joohyeon stayed before looking back at him.

"Let's talk somewhere else." He inserted his hands inside his pockets and spun around. Taehyung didn't like how the guy commanded him but not wanting to cause any commotion and because he was already physically and mentally exhausted, he just followed him.

They stopped at what looked like a balcony on the third floor. The sun was already dipping down the horizon that in a few minutes, the moon and the stars will take over the sky. There was silence as they stood a meter from each other in front of the railings that overlooked the garden of the hospital. It was a minute later that Taehyung decided to talk as he didn't want to stay any longer with the boyfriend of the girl he loves.

"I don't have all the time in the world to wait. What is it that you want to say?" 

A smirk came to Youngjae's lips as he looked down before finally looking at him. "I didn't know you are an impatient guy. Far from my expectation of Joohyeon's first boyfriend." Taehyung's eye twitched as his jaw hardened.

Smirking, he raised his eyes to meet his. "Well, I expected Joohyeon will like a guy like you." His smirk deepened when he saw confusion cross Youngjae's face. "You don't lack in the looks department, and Hyeon," Youngjae's eyebrow twitched, "...she's the kind to like someone who annoys her but at the same time, care for her." Taehyung looked down, to Youngjae's fists and saw it balled up before meeting his eyes again. 

"Are you telling me..."

Taehyung's smirk never left his lips. He inserted his hands inside his pockets before shrugging. "I didn't say anything like that."

Youngjae swallowed, holding in the urge to punch the man before him. As much as he wanted to hit him, he wanted to prove him that if there's something that differs between them, it's that he could hold his temper better. He smirked, "I guess you're right. But at least I know how to listen and to manage my temper. At least...I can protect her," he said, face melting to a serious one as he stared at him. "Something you weren't able--" He was cut off when Taehyung grabbed him by his collar.

"Shut your trap. You don't know anything," he hissed. 

Youngjae didn't looked fazed at all as he smirked. "You're just proving me right, Kim Taehyung-ssi," he said as he eyed his hand n his collar before looking up at him. Taehyung swallowed before letting him go.

"If you don't have anything important to say than sht then I'm going." Taehyung had already turned to leave and was half way to the door when Youngjae spoke, stopping him in his tracks.

"I know Joohyeon is important to you guys so if you care for her, you'll leave her alone. For years, I'd seen her collapsing many times and every time it hurt but I know it pains her more. So if you truly want her to be happy and not hurt anymore, I'm asking you, save her from the past." Taehyung's fists balled up as Youngjae passed by his left and walked towards the door. Youngjae stopped, craning his head to the left, "If you love her, you'll do what is best for her."

 

Taehyung closed his eyes and leaned his head back on the headboard. Memories of yesterday's events was still playing in his mind making him lack sleep and it was already giving him a headache. The ringing of his phone made him open his eyes as he grabbed his phone from his side. He brought it up to his face and unlocked his phone. It was from their group chat in Line. Jungkook had just sent something. 

"Taehyung hyung, are you going to continue sulking there? GET UP! If not I'll tell Joohyeon noona! >:-)"

He shook his head. He was about to put his phone down when another message came in. This time, it was Jimin.

"You bum. Cook us breakfast! It's your turn!" 

He was about to ignore it when Jungkook sent another one but in another group chat where Joohyeon is included.

"Noona, are you already awake? Are you okay? :(" It wasn't long before he sent another message. "I already miss your cooking! Taehyunggie's cooking . >_<" 

He found himself snickering at this. He actually almost forgot that it's his turn to cook because most of the time, Joohyeon would knock on their door and pull him up from bed. Sighing, he dropped his phone on his lap. Since Joohyeon already left, they'll surely move out soon as well. It might have been around eight to ten minutes when his phone began ringing again and a message popped out on his phone. He was about to ignore it but something was telling him to look and he also wanted to know what time it was. Grabbing his phone again, he looked at it and sat up almost immediately, his eyes almost widening.

A message flashed on the screen. It was Joohyeon.

"Hi guys. I'm okay. Nothing serious. I'm sorry... I surprised you, didn't I? Sorry :'("


 A/N:

Hi my lovely readers! How are you all doing? I know it's been a while. I hope I didn't keep you waiting for so long. I had a hard time compressing this chapter because I originally planned to only have fifty chapters plus the epilogue but it looks like I had to add another chapter to fit it all. So yes, that was my dilemma that's why it took me a while to update. 

I hope this chapter answers some of your questions. This was supposed to be longer but I transferred it instead to the next chapter. I'll update as soon as I could update. Please wait for it!

Comment down your opinions, reactions for this chapter! I'll love to read it! ^^

Thank you for reading, commenting, upvoting and subscribing! You guys are the reason I'm still here writing this story. ^^ 

HAPPY 2ND ANNIVERSARY BANGTAN SONYEONDAN! <3