017

One More Day

They sat at the dinner table that day with Joohyeon’s family present, as well as Jae, who transferred back to staying with her family for the rest of the vacation. Her mood was so bright that Joonmyeon can’t help but to mention halfway through their meal.

“Looks like our dongsaeng is happy today. Anything happened?” He asked with a small smile and Joohyeon’s smile faltered a little. Was she supposed to say it? What if he gets mad? But why would he even get mad? There was no time to ponder when her father suddenly said with a fatherly smile, “We went to the Jeon’s yesterday. Ever since, she was bubbly. I guess bringing her there was not bad after all.”

Her eyes dropped to her food as she felt eyes on her. Without looking, she knew it was from her brother and Jae who sat beside her. The silence stretched on for a few seconds before Joonmyeon said, “So I didn’t know you were supposed to go there.” Joohyeon looked up nervously and found his brother’s face stoic and she gulped. Jae surprisingly kept quiet beside her and continued to eat his food.

“Yeah… But oppa, you know what,” she tried to lighten up the dinner table a little even if she doesn’t know if what she would say would actually do that, “I met Jungkook. You know him, right?” She said and Joonmyeon’s eyebrows knitted in the middle as if trying to remember before he nodded.

“Of course, that boy. How was he?” Joonmyeon shifted to look up to her and even if her brother wore a smile, there was definitely something off with it but she couldn’t say what.

“He was okay. He grew up pretty well since those times when we were kids. I mean, I really couldn’t remember how he looked like but when I saw my childhood pictures, I also saw him there,” she said, a little too happy and Joonmyeon nodded. “And…we actually talked and he…” She wasn’t really sure if she was supposed to tell it to him but guessing by the looks her brother gave her, he wanted to know everything.

But at the same time, she knew she just couldn't. At least not too soon.

“He what?” Joonmyeon asked when she kept quiet.

She shook her head and smiled. “…was very nice and all. It didn’t surprise me when he said he was a year younger because he really looked young.” Joonmyeon looked up to her and she pretended as if she was busy with her food.

She doesn’t know why but she got scared that moment. Joonmyeon and her was so close that secrets were not even kept between them. She told him almost everything that happens to her daily life and that also because her brother would always ask. But since that phone call, she doesn’t know if he had been really honest with her all the while. And she was afraid that slowly, she was doubting her own brother’s honesty.

Their dinner ended a little later and Joohyeon walked to her room with Jae following closely behind her. Jae had been awfully quiet and she knew then that something was wrong but for some reason, she couldn’t pull herself to ask.

She walked to her room and Jae followed in, closing the door after him. It sent shiver down Joohyeon’s spine when she heard the door close and even though she knew Jae wouldn’t do anything to her, that is was just actually normal that they are together in one room, that moment felt different.

The silence stretched on as she sat on her bed and looked at Jae who sat on her desk chair when in other days, he would’ve settled in front of her or anywhere near her and hug her, and it made her miss his warmth more than ever. She watched him as he flipped over some books on her desk and she sighed, seeing that he definitely wouldn’t say anything, meaning that he is either mad, disappointed, or all of the above.

“Jae…” She called but Jae didn’t even look up to her as he hummed in reply. “What’s wrong?” She asked in concern although she had a clue why her boyfriend was acting as such. What she doesn’t get was why he was acting like that when he knows that Jungkook is obviously just her friend, unless it was because of something else.

The silence was deafening and she let out a deep sigh, grabbing her pillows and blanket. “If you don’t want to talk—“

“Do you have anything you want to tell me?” He said cutting her off and her eyes flickered to him who shut the book down and looked up to her with that stoic expression she used to love but still get annoyed at some times.

“What are you saying?” She asked her eyebrows knitting in the middle and she doesn’t know why her voice sounded shaky. She gulped when she looked away and she heard Jae sighing.

“We were talking yesterday. I asked you how’ve you been the day before since I wasn’t around. You said you ate dinner out with your family. I didn’t know you already met some guy I don’t even know.” With just that, you know where he was coming off and you let out another sigh.

“I’m sorry if I didn’t tell you everything. I just didn’t know that it actually mattered…”

“I’m your boyfriend, aren’t I? Of course it matters. Actually it’s not just the fact that I’m your boyfriend but it’s because I care for you.” Right when those words left his lips, a pang of pain struck her heart and she kept her lips together to stop them from trembling.

She turned away when she felt tears pooling on her eyes and blinked them away. It wasn’t that she was a cry baby but whenever she felt like people who she trusted seemed not to trust her, that she was already good and well enough to handle herself, it just pains her. She knew she might not be always in her good condition, especially if her headaches attacks but they also had to understand that she isn’t as weak as they thought.

Jae noticed it and cussed under his breath before standing up and approaching her.

“S…Sorry,” he said as he placed a hand on her shoulder. His breath was shaky and he took a deep breath as he circled his arms around Joohyeon’s shoulders and turned her, pulling her to a tight hug. “I’m sorry. I don’t mean so sound so harsh. Sorry,” he whispered to her ears and she gulped, closing her eyes tight just to stop the tears from falling.

Jae held her that way, his hand behind her head, putting her securely on his chest and his other hand around her shoulders. He doesn’t even know how those words came out of his mouth even if he knew that Joohyeon hated it when she was treated weak. He knew it damn well but he still said it. He said it because he was scared. He was so scared to know that sooner or later, she would remember everything. He was afraid that when that time comes, Joohyeon would leave him because let’s be honest, only the mind could forget, the heart, it would be the same. He doesn’t really personally know Jungkook, nor his true relationship to her but he was sure that he was capable of pulling Joohyeon away from him…like what was happening.

It took them a minute or more before Joohyeon pulled herself away but got her head hung low as she wiped away the tears that managed to escape her eyes. Jae held cupped her head to his hands and made her look at him. Joohyeon avoided his eyes and Jae noticed it making him sigh.

“Joohyeon, you know I love you right? I love you more than anything in this world that I am ready to give and give up everything for you. You know that right?” This time, Joohyeon looked at him straight at the eyes and she saw how Jae was looking at her so softly with love and care present. He was searching her eyes, she can see it, and how she hoped he would see how much she loves and cares for him too. Slowly, Joohyeon nodded and Jae softly smiled. A second later did Jae lean in and sealed her lips with his. He was gentle and didn’t force himself to her. He knew that Joohyeon was still isn’t ready for more intimate kissing so he just savored that moment that he could press his lips onto hers.

Joohyeon actually felt annoyed with herself because she knew that she would always leave Jae hanging whenever he would kiss her and she wouldn’t even kiss back. But she just couldn’t, for what reason, she really doesn’t know. All she could do was just press her lips back to him but that was all. They part seconds later and Jae let out a small smile.

“Can I sleepover in your room tonight?” He asked timidly and Joohyeon, without any hesitation, nodded her head.

It was still quite early, at nine in the evening, but they already turned the lights off, leaving the lamp open as they lie on her bed. They faced each other on the bed, Jae tracing her features with his eyes. He doesn’t know why he kept doing it, but whenever they were on bed like this, he would still stare at her, memorizing her features over and over even if he knew that he had Joohyeon’s face printed in his mind. After a few minutes of silence, Jae decided to break it as he pulled Joohyeon by the waist and hugged her, his head lying on top of hers.

“I want to hear what happened that day. Can you tell me?” He said softly and Joohyeon hesitated before she nodded and beginning.

And right then, as he listened to her, he was thankful he hugged her that way, with her facing his chest because he was afraid that his emotions would show on his face and she would see how her boyfriend was actually a coward.

 

 

He doesn’t know why his phone wouldn’t just stop ringing that day. He knew that he had already deleted his alarm when vacation started so there isn’t a reason for it to continue ringing even if he already kept on stopping it. It wasn’t even morning already but afternoon. He basically went back to sleep after being greeted by his parents that morning during breakfast. Groaning, he got his phone and basically turned it off before placing it on his bed side table and dozing off back to sleep.

He was able to continue that for half an hour before his door was being banged on nonstop. He pulled his pillow over his head, annoyed by the sound but it wouldn’t just stop so he shouted, “SOMEONE’S SLEEPING HERE!”

But it wouldn’t just stop and angrily did he got up from his bed and open his door, only to be tackled on the floor.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY TAEHYUNGIE!!!” Hoseok’s voice boomed to his ears that shook him awake.

“Birthday?” His eyes blinked twice until his eyes landed on the calendar on his desk, where Jungkook childishly wrote, “4D hyung’s Bday” under the date. His digital clock also showed the date “13-12-30”.

Hoseok let go of him and stared at him weirdly. “Are you kidding me? You forgot your own birthday?” Hoseok said and Taehyung shrugged before he pushed Hoseok off.

“You’re heavy you know,” he said as Hoseok landed with a thud on the floor and he felt the pain on his back from the tackling Hoseok just did. They both stood up and Taehyung stretched his body, his face scrunching as he heard his bones crack.

“You’re unbelievable, you know? How can you even forget your own birthday? You were always excited about it!” Taehyung let out a loud sigh before returning to his bed.

“No hyung. Not in three years,” he mumbled before he lay back on his bed. Hoseok frowned before yanking on Taehyung’s blanket.

“Then this year is different. C’mon. It’s freaking three in the afternoon. You have to get ready,” Hoseok said, pulling Taehyung’s feet instead because the boy wouldn’t just let go of his blanket.

“I’m not in the mood and I need sleep!” Taehyung said, holding on his headboard for dear life as Hoseok pulled him on his feet.

“You can sleep later! C’mon! This lazy bum,” Hoseok said, hitting Taehyung on the but the latter didn’t even care as he hugged his pillows. Hoseok groaned. “You get ready or I’m gonna call Jungkook to get you.” Taehyung’s ears perked up and he turned his head to look at Hoseok, glaring at him. He smirked before turning to the door and saying, “Got ‘ya. Go and get ready. We have somewhere to go.” Hoseok winked and Taehyung threw a pillow at him but he just laughed and ducked it before he exit the room.

He grumbled under his breath as he buried his head on his pillows. His head was throbbing from actually sleeping for twelve hours. Memories started playing in his head as how he would usually jump out of bed excitedly during his birthday and quickly get ready to meet up with his girlfriend and his friends before he would get the whole night with Joohyeon after his friends would leave them alone. He always looked forward to it for so many years until three years ago.

He shook the thought away, as he sat up and grumpily threw his blanket away before getting off his bed. Even if he really didn’t want to leave the bed yet, he knew Hoseok wouldn’t just stop and if he called Jungkook too, he really wouldn’t be able to sleep. Sighing deeply, he grabbed his towel and took a bath.

 

 

Not more than thirty minutes later, Taehyung walked to their living room and he saw Hoseok watching a gag show, eating some chips by himself, and laughing so loud. Squinting his eyes on the chips, his eyes widened before he grabbed it from his hand, surprising Hoseok who turned to him in shock before smiling.

“Oh you’re ready.” Taehyung glared at him before Hoseok grinned. “Sorry. Was that yours? It tastes really good by the way.”

“Seriously hyung. Is it really my birthday because I freaking don’t feel it,” he said irritably and Hoseok smiled apologetically.

“It is your birthday that’s why we have to leave already and meet the others,” Hoseok said, standing up from his seat, turning the TV off. Taehyung sighed, wondering if this hyung of his is really older than him or not.

 

 

Two hours later, they found themselves in front of a bar. Taehyung’s eyes narrowed on it before he pushed Hoseok’s arm away from his shoulders.

“Are you kidding me? A bar?” Taehyung said incredulously. Hoseok rolled his eyes before tilting his head to the building beside it.

“We’re going to a noraebang, you tut.” Hoseok grabbed him by the arm and pulled him to the entrance of the place where so many lights lit up the front. They entered, walking up to the second floor. Taehyung only followed, grumbling as he looked around the place.

“We could’ve just went to an amusement park, hyung,” he complained.

“Are you seriously twenty today? Gosh,” Hoseok replied without turning to him, busily typing on his cellphone. He abruptly stopped, making Taehyung almost collide with him.

“Yah, why did you stop?” Taehyung said, eyebrows knitting.

“You wait here, okay?” He said and Taehyung raised an eyebrow.

“Why? What if I don’t like? Where are the others anyway?” He asked and Hoseok sighed in frustration.

“Can’t you just listen to me?” Hoseok said and Taehyung stuck his tongue out but Hoseok just rolled his eyes before turning away and walking to a door where he opened it and peeked in. Being the playful boy he was, Taehyung tried to peek in but Hoseok shut the door quickly. “Nu-uh,” Hosoek smiled mischievously and Taehyung rolled his eyes.

“Can’t I go in yet? It’s so boring out here.” For some reason, Taehyung actually looked forward to see what his friends had prepared for him although he felt sorry because they always had to do it for him for three and today four, straight years.

“Close your eyes and then you can,” Hoseok said grinning.

“What are we, ten?” Taehyung teased and Hoseok frowned at him.

“Are you going to do it—“

“Okay, fine. Aish,” Taehyung closed his eyes and Hoseok smiled before opening the door and after giving the others the signal, he softly pushed Taehyung in and streamers came flying in the air and a loud, Happy Birthday, boomed in the speakers as a happy birthday song played.

And even if Taehyung’s ears actually hurt from their noise, it didn’t matter because he was just so thankful to have friends who treated his birthday more special than he do.

 

 

An hour had been since he came and everyone in the room, except for Jungkook who was still a minor, looked like they were all drunk even if they didn’t even have enough of liquor in their body. Taehyung remained sober though, as he only downed a glass and didn’t drink more.

Seokjin was having a duet with Hoseok and they were laughing at how ridiculous they sounded as they played around with their voice. Taehyung was enjoying his friends’ childishness in front when he noticed Jungkook standing up from his seat.

“Yah, where are you going?” Taehyung asked, trying to beat the loud speakers.

“Washroom. I’ll be back,” he said with a smile before walking out. Taehyung just shrugged and focused his attention in front.

Seokjin’s sister was singing Gee and Jimin and Hoseok danced to it, making everyone laugh at how funny they looked, dancing to a girl dance. They were all making fun of the two when the door opened and Jungkook entered, making some of them look as Jungkook called, “Guys.”

“I brought someone with me… I mean some people with me,” Jungkook said sheepishly, actually being surprised himself. The guys who looked at him arched an eyebrow and curiously looked at his back.

“Who?” Namjoon asked and Jungkook turned back, calling the additional visitors in before stepping aside.

The boys who actually paid attention to him had their mouth agape before they shifted their eyes to Jungkook who is looking down, afraid to actually look at his hyungs’ eyes. Taehyung, who was one of them, couldn’t take his eyes off of the girl who appeared behind Jungkook’s back. His heart beat picked up, making it suddenly hard to breathe. When he noticed the other guy who came with her, his eyes suddenly harden before he looked at Jungkook again, as if asking what the heck are they doing there.

Hoseok, who still continued to dance where everyone was already quiet got a smack on his shoulder from Jimin until he finally stopped.

“What—“ He wasn’t able to finish as he found himself mirroring that others’ expressions as he noticed who was standing at the door.

Jungkook, who was responsible for everything cleared his throat, rubbing the back of his neck before saying. “Guys, this is…uh…Joohyeon…and…Youngjae.”

And he didn’t even know if it was necessary to do so because he knew damn well that all of his friends knows them and he knew fcking well that he was gonna get a round of scolding before they all separate later that night. 


A/N:

HELLO!!! Sorry for the crappy chapter. I'll try to update as soon as I can. For the inconsistencies and typos here and there, I'm really sorry. I wasn't able to do a proof-reading before posting it. I'll do the editing later, hopefully. Thank you for reading! I love you guise! :)

Tell me what you think of this chapter? Some more drama, maybe? ;)