043

One More Day

When night came and sleep took over, she already knew it, the moment she closed her eyes, she will wake up in the middle of the night like usual. 

After a few hours of sleep, she got up, walked towards her door and looked at the time: 1AM. Sighing, feeling tired, she walked out her room and to the kitchen, like she usually do. She opened the refrigerator and the first thing that she saw were the two yogurt drinks left. A small smile came to her lips as she remembered what happened the night before. She wondered if Taehyung noticed that she got one drink the night he left but then, the boy didn't tell her and the boys off about it so it didn't matter. Pushing the thought away before her mind will be consumed about him again, she grabbed the pitcher of water and closed the door of the fridge. 

She got herself a glass to drink on but she noticed the light from the refrigerator open and she looked around to see Taehyung bending down, looking inside. She was a little surprised because obviously, she didn't expect him to be there again but she didn't complain because...she liked it that way. Even if she doesn't say it, even if her heart would still crazily beat inside her chest, even if she knew she should stay away from him, even if she had all the reasons to do it, she still likes to have him there. Maybe because she finds comfort in him. She's not sure other than she likes having him around and how he would show up beside her on nights like that without talking about it all.

With an amused smile, she watched him and got startled when he suddenly talked.

"Don't you want yogurt drink?" 

"What?" She asked, confused. Was he just telling her that he'll give her the other yogurt drink? 

He didn't say anything before he grabbed the yogurt drinks and closed the door. He looked at her and then to the glass she was holding before tossing the yogurt drink to her. Luckily, she caught it before it hit the floor. She frowned. "You could've just given it to me."

"Welcome." She felt his cheeks turn warm and she sighed. Taehyung will be Taehyung. She looked at the empty glass and the pitcher of water and shrugged, putting it back to where it belonged. She looked at where Taehyung went afterwards and saw him sitting on the same spot he sat the other night. She wondered if he will ask her to join him again--to stay with him--but he didn't say anything, instead, he just sat there and glanced at her, probably feeling that she was looking at him. 

Was that supposed to mean that she should stay? She wasn't sure but her feet still made way over him and she stopped, looking at the space beside him then at the place she sat last night. She's not sure why she was hesitating. It just didn't feel...good. Like he was placing distance between them, like he didn't want to sit beside her, like he didn't want her close. The thoughts took her by surprise. Why did it suddenly matter? Why is she suddenly concerned about where she should sit? Why...

Then as if the gears in her mind clicked, her heart slightly stopped beating. Of course. Of course he'll keep his distance. He knows I have a boyfriend. It didn't sound right but she wished then that he didn't know...or that... She stopped herself before she could think of it as the guilt eats her up. Frustrated at herself, she sat on the further space from him, like usual and they just sat there in silence.

It was a more comfortable silence, calming her in an instant. They didn't say anything to each other but glance once in a while, checking if the other person was still there. Relief would wash over them when they would see each other still sitting there. Taehyung, especially, was delighted. He was too happy for words because she stayed, without him needing to tell her, to ask her, she sat there and stayed with him. 

The silence was nice but he likes to hear her voice more so he broke it and asked, "Woke up again because of your dreams?"

A little startled when he talked, she looked at him. "What?"

Taehyung looked at her for a while, trying to see if something was bothering her but she just looked confused and so he repeated his question, "You woke up again because of your dreams?" Her lips parted a little when she understood and she nodded, humming in reply. 

"Can't sleep again?" She asked in return and he shook his head. "Then why are you still up?" She asked curiously.

He thought for a while, not sure if he should say it. She might get uncomfortable when he say it so he thought of saying it in another way that is not too obvious but have a hint of what he liked to say.

"I'm waiting."

"Waiting? Waiting for what?" 

"Have you drank everything?" He asked, instead and Joohyeon stared at him for a moment as if trying to think if he was answering her or asking her. The confusion on her face made the corner of his lips turn up. Trying to joke around, he reached out and knocked on her head not too hard as to not hurt her.

But he did, anyways.

"Ow!" She flinched and held the place where Taehyung hit her. "What did you do that for?" She frowned and Taehyung had to resist not kissing her lips. 

"That wasn't even hard!" He said but Joohyeon just glared at him. "You were zoning out," he said, rolling his eyes playfully.

"I'm not." She denied, looking away then on her lap. 

"If you're not zoning out, then what are you thinking about?" He asked, raising an eyebrow. He already knows her good enough to read her expressions. She was already like an open book to him but with more pages to see, to read. Something he'll want to do for a lifetime with her.

"I--Uhm--I'm--" She stammered and she bit her tongue before she embarrassed herself more. She heard Taehyung chuckling and she looked at him, glaring. "Nothing's funny."

"You're doing it again," he said, making her brows meet in the middle. "Doing what?" She asked, and he smirked, sending her stomach into frenzy. "Acting cute." Her eyes widened, bashful. Did he just...compliment me? "Shut up, I'm not cute," she muttered before she gets ahead of herself and she heard him chuckle.

"The yogurt drink, I'm talking about it," he said, his laughter done.

"What about the yogurt drink?" Joohyeon asked, confused when he just kept on switching topics.

Taehyung shook his head, the corner of his lips quirked up in amusement. He raised his hand, pretending to knock her on the head, making her cower down and he chuckled again. "Are you really here with me?" He joked and she frowned.

"I am. Why are you so mean," she mumbled and Taehyung grinned. "Are you still not used to it?"

"I am. That's why it's worse," she said, making Taehyung laugh again. "But you loved me anyway," he said as softly as possible and Joohyeon looked at him, raising an eyebrow, not hearing him clearly. "What?"

"I'm asking if you've finished your yogurt drink?" He repeated himself and as if it finally made sense to her, she said, "Ohh... Yes, I guess," she said, shaking the bottle. 

"You like it?" He asked, knowing she'll be asking about what he was waiting for again. 

She nodded. "I like it. It's sweet and I love strawberry."

Taehyung smiled. "Of course, you do," he softly said, looking down on his drink.

"What did you say?" She asked, thinking she didn't hear it right.

"You like strawberry, right?" He said, nodding to the drink on her hand. 

"Yes, I know but how did you know?" She asked, eyebrows slightly meeting. She doesn't know what she was really waiting for him to say. But she was curious, really. Taehyung jut his lower lip and then pressed his lips together, making him look really cute that she tried to not to be distracted to.

"Let's just say... I know quite some facts about you," he said, pointing at her, the corner of his lips quirking up. Then her heart jumped. Did he just say he knows something about me? Did he just... 

"Like?" She asked, a little challenging but she believes him. She could see in his eyes that he was telling the truth. He looked like he was thinking of what to say first before he snapped his forefingers.

"You like the color blue." 

She doesn't know why it disappointed her. That was a basic. Everyone who knows her knows that. "That's very unique, Tae," she said sarcastically but instead of focusing on that, his heart fluttered again when he heard her call him 'Tae'. He doesn't know why but it boosts his confidence, as if he could list down all the facts he knows about her that would probably take minutes or even hours. "Other than the basics, what else do you know?" She asked, snapping him out of his thoughts.

Should he tell her? Would it be alright? Will she be alright? He's being a coward again, he knows, but he can't remove that worry that she might suddenly have an attack. He doesn't know if he could bear seeing her in pain when that happens.

"Taehyung? Tae?" Her voice brought him back. He looked at her and saw the concern in her face. "Are you alright?"

"Yes," he said, nodding. He swallowed and looked her straight in the eyes, "You love going to that park across your house," he said but watchful of her reaction. He hasn't seen her go into an attack so he needs to be more attentive, more guarded with how she reacts. A surprised expression flashed on her face and she asked, "You know where my house is?"

"W-What?" He asked, realizing that he only didn't share the fact that she loves going to that park but also that he knows where she lives.

"You know where I live?" She asked.

He tried to think of a way to escape the question. How could he be so stupid to say that? "I..."

Then he noticed her shoulders drop. "Nevermind. You live around the area, right? I saw you that time...with the girl," she said and instead of being happy that she finally stopped asking him, the sound of her voice caught his attention. Was she just...jealous? 

A smile lifted on his face. "Were you jealous?" He asked and Joohyeon's eyes widen, her heart skipping a beat. "You are, are you?" He teased.

"W-What? No! Why would I?" She said, her cheeks red. She was thankful once again for the little light there is. She didn't want him teasing her for it too.

"I don't know. I could just tell you are," he said, a cheeky smile on his face. She was about to give in, tell him that maybe she was, because seeing how happy he was thinking that she was jealous, she also felt it radiating to her, his delight. But no, she can't. She's not denying anything. She just doesn't want to make things complicated than it already is.

"I'm not, okay. I have a boy--" She caught herself before she said more and she saw, even if it was dark, the surprise and the hurt that crossed his expression but it was a fleeting one, that she might have just imagined it. 

"Of course. I almost forgot that," he said, words bitter in his mouth. She hated herself for that mistake. She should've just stopped after the word 'not' but she just had to continue it and make that stupid move. She should've just shut up. The mood slightly dampened because of it and she felt guilty for it. "I guess..." He said, making her look at him. He looked around before he stood up and she doesn't know why that move scared her. "It's late. We should get back to our rooms."

He already took a step away but she didn't let him take another. She caught his hand before he could go away further from her, surprising not only Taehyung but herself. Taehyung looked at her then at her hand on his. 

He swallowed, his heart beating faster than it already is. "Joohyeon?" Taehyung called when he noticed that she was zoning out.

"N-Nothing. Sorry," she said, letting his hand go and standing up. "You're r-right. We should...go back and sleep." She forced on a smile that Taehyung could see through. 

Did she just want him to stay? He watched her as she just stood there, as if lost and a small smile crept to his lips and he stepped back, sitting back down.

"I'm not sleepy yet so if you're not, then," Taehyung said, shrugging. Joohyeon stared at him, confused and surprised. Sometimes, she just doesn't really get him. But she didn't mind it. She...likes him that way.

"No, I'm not," she said, shaking her head, a faint smile on her lips. "Then what are you still doing there?" Taehyung said, looking at her while tapping the space beside him, shocking her more. Taehyung saw the surprise in her face and he thought she was thinking that he would do something to her. He sighed. "Joohyeon, I'm not--" 

"It's not it," she said, cutting him off, biting her lower lip.

"Then what?" Taehyung asked. She looked down, swallowing the lump in . Taehyung could see the hesitation in her eyes and he sighed, clenching his fist. Is he that untrustworthy? Probably, after what he'd done before...

"I'm scared." Taehyung snapped to look at her and saw the sincerity in her eyes and he softened. He reached out and grabbed her hand, surprising her.

Throwing all logic and thoughts away, with a soft smile, he said, "I'm here. I'll protect you. That's a promise." 

Joohyeon's heart fluttered and she was out of words as she stared at him, his words repeating in her mind and his smile too assuring. When he pulled her hand, she let him, closing the distance they once had, no space between them. She sat there, her heart beating in her ears. It felt wrong but right at the same time. His hand still remained in hers. His hand was warm and it felt good in her cold ones and she tried to convince herself that it was because of that sensation of comfort that his touch gave her. But it was too undeniable, the fluttering of her heart and flipping of her stomach. It could only be because of him. Her heart skipped to when he suddenly intertwined his to hers and she looked up at him to see that he is also looking down at her. 

"I'll let go if you tell me to," he said softly, and she should say that he should but she found herself shaking her head and squeezing his hand back, all logic forgotten. When he smiled that smile that would always send her heart fluttering, she looked down, the apple of her cheeks turning warm.

They just stayed there in silence, content for that moment where it was only the two of them and nothing else mattered. Taehyung couldn't be more happy just to have her there, holding him back without hesitation. He's happy and he wondered if she knows how that one gesture made up for all the years that had gone by without her by his side. He knew then that the wait was all worth it. It was no questioning it.

When he saw her dozing off, her eyes fighting to keep open, he leaned her head on his shoulder, slightly shaking her up. Before she could sit up, Taehyung held her in place and said, "Just for tonight. You could borrow my shoulder," he said, stifling a chuckle and Joohyeon frowned, playfully hitting him on his chest, making him laugh more. Joohyeon sneered but didn't resist, adjusting herself so that she could be more comfortable.

A smile came to his lips. You could borrow my shoulder anytime, Hyeon, anytime.

"Just this night," she whispered although she wished that he could still be there if she needed a shoulder to lean on but probably, it would be impossible when she leaves and a sigh escaped her lips.

Leaning on someone didn't make her feel this way before. She can't help but ask herself how a guy who was supposed to be annoying and who was her supposed enemy make her feel that way. Secured, light, happy, protected. She wondered who Kim Taehyung is and what magic he holds on her and if she should be afraid of it but then, he said he'll protect her so there's nothing to be scared of. Because he promised. And she believes him.

When she could feel sleep taking over again, she closed her eyes and before it could bring her to dreamland, she heard him say, "Good night, Hyeon. Sweet dreams." With a smile on her face, she fell into a deep and comfortable sleep.

For that night, their fourth night together, nobody left. Instead, both stayed in each other's arms after a long time.

 

The hushed whispers woke her up that morning. She knew she was sitting up but it was the most comfortable sleep she'd had in days that she didn't even feel the soreness of her back. She could feel a grip on her hand although it had loosened a bit. She knew who it was because everything that had happened that night was still very clear in her mind. The feeling of floating in cloud nine made her not want to wake up yet but the whispers were getting louder and the person beside her had already lifted his head, his hand squeezing her hand in the process. 

Yet again, she was reminded of how wrong everything was. She shouldn't be holding his hand nor should she be sleeping on his shoulder. She shouldn't be in that intimate moment with him. Not when she's fully aware of how she is committed to somebody else. It was all so wrong but the comfort and the security he gave her over the night was just something she can't help but lean onto the moment he offered it to her. Knowing the night had ended and it's time to wake up from it, she sat up although she still held a tight grip on his hand, not wanting to let go of its warmth.

She was about to open her eyes when suddenly, the guy beside her stiffened. She could tell with how his hand suddenly tightened on hers. Curious what happened, she peeled her eyes open and her eyes doubled it's size when she saw the six guys staring at them with looks that read 'what-is-this'. As if she was struck by lightning, she pulled her hand from his grip, feeling the coldness almost immediately. Smirks slowly lift up on some of the boys' faces while she turned so red. She couldn't even look at them, especially at the boy beside her. Her heart was beating so fast, breathing getting hard.

"W-What--" She heard Taehyung say but like her, he was too shocked to even talk.

"We're the one who should be asking you two that," Namjoon said, nodding to them. "What was THAT?"

She gulped. She really had know idea what to tell them. Her mind was too caught up with how they saw them there being a little too intimate for 'enemies'.

"Are you two..." Jungkook asked, trailing off as he pointed back and forth to them. She looked up to them and they were still intensely looking at them. They didn't seem mad or anything but scandanlous and...glad? But why?

"Can you cut us some slack," Taehyung finally found his voice back, although a little scratchy from just waking up. She glanced up at him and saw his cheeks blushing hard. She couldn't blame him because even she was sure she was red in the face. The boys looked hesitant to let them go because obviously, they wanted answers but none of them were going to say anything. She was sure of that. Not now, at least. It was just too...embarrassing. Don't misunderstand her. She wasn't embarrassed about Taehyung. It was just too overwhelming to see them staring at them with those scandalous looks. She can't blame them but still. It's not like she has anything to say too.

Finally, after a minute of complete silence, they let them go.

"Fine, but you two owe us some answers," Hoseok said, squinting his eyes on them.

She just nodded to them, knowing she couldn't trust herself to utter a word. Feeling too hot from the pair of eyes staring at her, she stood up from her seat and forced on a grin.

"I'll just...g-go wash up," she stammered before scurrying away. She's not sure how she'll face them later. Scratch that. She doesn't know if she can even face them at all.

 

Taehyung was left there, under the curious looks from his friends. He didn't know it'll be that nerve wracking to be caught by his friends. It's not that he minds it because his friends perfectly knows how he feels for the girl but he felt bad for Joohyeon because she was obviously so shocked and embarrassed. He just hoped it wasn't because of him that she was feeling that way. His friends wore a knowing and smug look when Joohyeon had left them and Taehyung dragged his hands to his face. 

"Guys, please."

Obviously, his friends wouldn't let him go.

"You're the man so care to explain?" Jimin said, crossing his arms over his chest with a smirk.

"What do you even want to hear?" Taehyung said, arching an eyebrow at them.

"Duh. Do you even have to ask that?" Jungkook said, rolling his eyes.

"You're sleeping in the living room and it's not just that. You were sleeping with her leaning on you and you leaning on her and your hands intertwined. If that's not shocking enough, you tell us what," Yoongi said, too intrigued with the whole ordeal. They all were.

Giving up and knowing there's just know way he could get away from them, he said, "What you saw is what it is."

"What does that supposed to mean?" Hoseok asked, raising an eyebrow. 

"As far as I could remember, Kim Taehyung, you and Joohyeon aren't still that clicking well...or you're hiding something from us?" Jimin said.

Taehyung jut his lower lip out in stress as he looked at the oldest who just kept quiet and observed him as he silently ask for him to save him but clearly, he was as curious as the other boys were. 

"Just answer one question then we're going to let you go," Yoongi said and he sighed, massaging his temples.

"Do I even have a say on that?" They all shook their head. He rolled his eyes. "What?"

"Did you already tell her?" His eyes widened a little when Yoongi asked it that he took a nervous glance to Joohyeon's room. Before he could say anything, his friends already knew what he would say as their eyes widened and their mouths hung open. "You didn't tell her and you... Ohmygod. Kim Taehyung, you're such an idiot!"

They should be glad that he was still in cloud nine after that night with Joohyeon or else he would've punched all of them to leave him alone, albeit softly but still. "I couldn't okay? It's not that easy. Plus..." He paused, recalling their conversation that night and how he dropped a hint that he knew where she lived, except that she thought it was because he lived around their place. A silly smile came to his lips as he remembered how Joohyeon was jealous about the girl he'd met around there.

"Plus?" Seokjin urged. He snapped out of his trance and his lips, thinking of how to tell them without freaking them out but he knew there aren't so he just braced himself for their reactions.

"I told her that I know quite some facts about her." He shut his eyes immediately knowing how his friends would shriek at him and he was right because someone immediately shook him on the shoulders, gasps and shrieks could be heard.

"What was her reaction?! Did anything happen? Was she okay?!" Jungkook asked and Taehyung groaned. "Stop shaking me you idiot." He pushed his hands away but Jungkook stared at him intensely.

"Guys, calm down, okay? As you could see, she's perfectly fine. I was being careful last night and you know I'd rather kill myself than hurt her. Not again," he said, whispering the last few words as his heart clenched in pain. 

It kept them quiet, letting him go.


A/N:

Hi my lovelies~ How are you all doing? Here's another update filled with fluff for our TaeJoo/TaeHyeon couple. ^^

What do you think is their relationship now? I'm also confused XD Looks like Joohyeon is over denying her feelings but of course, it won't be that easy. Let's see what happens next!

It's four nights because if you don't remember, the first one was when Taehyung went out and saw her in the yard. The second would be the one when Joohyeon got up Taehyung asked her to stay. The third would be the one before this one and this is the fourth one. ^^

Thank you for reading, commenting, and subscribing! I love reading your comments! Love you all! <3