08

The Domino Effect

A rare day was given to EXO, a free day.

Even with the problems, they were still given time to rest because they’ve been working so hard, well a bit too hard.

Chanyeol wasn’t sure why. They have always worked hard, but for the past two months, they have been working double, triple even.

Were they trying to prove something?

Were they trying to show people that they can still act as a group? That even if they are faced with problems, they can still manage? Was that it?

Or was it a sense of pride? Did they want to show everyone that they can still be good even without Baekhyun?

But again, Chanyeol wasn’t really sure.

“Chanyeol, Jinri’s here.” Minseok said.

“Hello Chanyeol” Jinri said, smiling.

“Hey Jinri” He said.

“So, are you ready to go?” She asked. Chanyeol nodded and told the others that he was leaving on a date.

Yes, a date.

Jinri has been visiting Chanyeol, bringing him some water during practice, going out for lunch or dinner, anything.

And after hanging out, Chanyeol realized that she wasn’t that bad as Baekhyun described, she was even the exact opposite.

She was nice, thoughtful, fun to be with and knows how to have a good time.

But there was still this small part of Chanyeol’s mind that wanted to ask about the incident.

“Hey Jinri” She hummed. “Did Baekhyun really.... slap you?”

“I wish I was lying too Chanyeol. I was surprised too, because he suddenly came up to me. I thought he was going to talk but he slapped me. I was so surprised.”

“And Amber saw the whole thing?” She nodded.

“It was a good thing she was there. She was the one who stopped Baekhyun from slapping me again.” She said. “I was so scared.”

Chanyeol wanted to ask more, he wanted to dig deeper, but seeing her state made him stop. He didn’t want to remind her of what happened, because it might hurt her even more.

“Chanyeol”

“Yes Jinri?”

“Please, don’t leave me.” Jinri wrapped her small arms around Chanyeol, her head resting on Chanyeol’s chest. “Please?”

“I won’t. Don’t worry”

---

Jongin has been feeling a bit uncomfortable right now. He’s been walking next to Kyungsoo for a while now, and there’s this distance between them that feels so awkward.

When Kyungsoo asked him to go to the mall, Jongin quickly agreed, even if he wanted to rest all day.

Since when were we this awkward? Jongin thought. Even before their debut, Kyungsoo and Jongin would always go to the mall together.

But when Jongin finally realized his feelings for Kyungsoo, things changed.

Even with a simple touch, Jongin could feel electricity move through his veins. How can one small person have this big effect on him?

“Jongin”

“Yes hyung?”

“I asked if you wanted to eat something”

“Oh, sorry hyung. Sure, if you’re hungry.” Jongin said.

“Want to go to our usual cafe?” Kyungsoo asked, smiling at the other. The word ‘our’ made Jongin smile. It was something of theirs and it made him happy that he had such.

“Sure hyung”

They arrived at the cafe and to their luck, it wasn’t that crowded. Jongin offered to order but Kyungsoo insisted in paying.

“So, why’d you want to go here hyung?” Jongin asked.

“Nothing really” Kyungsoo smiled, making Jongin blush and look away. “I guess I missed doing this with you” And Jongin thought he couldn’t blush any redder than he was. But Jongin suddenly noticed something.

“Is there something wrong hyung?”

“Am I that easy to read?” Kyungsoo asked as he stared blankly at his drink. “I guess I’m just really tired right now.”

“Aren’t we all hyung?” He said. “After Baekhyun hyung left, we needed to double our efforts.”

“Yeah...” Kyungsoo bit his bottom lip. “You believe him when he said that he’s innocent?”

“Of course hyung, I mean, I think I’ve known him well enough to know that he cannot do such a thing.” Jongin said.

“How is that so easy for you to say?” Kyungsoo asked. “Why do you protect him so much?”

Jongin wasn’t sure where this conversation was going, but he feels that this won’t end well.

“Because he’s family hyung and he understand me very well.” Jongin said.

Kyungsoo wasn’t sure why he was asking these questions and he wasn’t really sure where these questions are coming from. He didn’t hate Baekhyun, he considered him a close friend.

But maybe it was something he wanted to find out. Why couldn’t he stand up for Baekhyun like Jongin? Was he that insecure that he quickly turned down the thought that maybe Baekhyun was innocent? And why was he even bothering with this? Was he jealous of the fact that Jongin’s defending him?

In the end, he just gave up. He sighed and stood up.

“Let’s just go back home Jongin, I’m feeling a bit tired.” Jongin, who was beginning to be in a sour mood, quickly agreed.

The way Kyungsoo asked those questions ticked Jongin off.

---

BTS was filming their new MV. Their comeback song is about a boy falling in love with a girl that confuses the hell out of him.

Jungkook, who was always in a good mood, felt different today. After what happened last night with Baekhyun, he was sure nothing can ruin his mood.

“Hey guys” Hoseok started. “Have you noticed anything different from our Kookie?”

The other members gazed at Jungkook, who was busy doing his individual filming.

“Now that you mention it, he does seem to have this different glow.” Seokjin said, nodding his head.

“And he’s really in a good mood right now.” Jimin said.

Yoongi was starting to feel uncomfortable. He doesn’t exactly know everything, but he had an idea why. He just couldn’t say that Jungkook and Baekhyun walked out of the room hand in hand. He wanted Jungkook to say it himself.

“Did anything happen last night?” Namjoon asked Yoongi who casually shook his head.

“Nothing much. Maybe he enjoyed the little party we had last night.” Yoongi said, but Hoseok wasn’t buying it.

“Drop the subject, he’s coming.” Jimin said.

“Hey hyungs” Jungkook said. “It’s your turn now Seokjin hyung.”

“So, Kookie...” Hoseok said, draping his arm around Jungkook’s shoulder. “Is there anything you want to tell us?” Jungkook gave him a confused look.

“Nothing much, why?” He asked. Hoseok was about to ask another question when Jungkook pulled away.

“I need to answer this, I’ll be right back.” Jungkook quickly shuffled out of the room.

“What is going on with him?” Hoseok was getting impatient.

“Maybe he’s in love?” Taehyung blurted out, gaining the stares of the others. “I mean, he’s happy, he’s talking to someone right now. Maybe he has inspiration.”

“If there is something, he’ll tell us soon enough. Be patient.” Namjoon said. Hoseok groaned and sat back down.

The day flew by quickly and another day of shooting was finished and lucky for them , it was earlier than expected.

Jungkook was the most eager to go back home. Why was he excited? Because Baekhyun was there, waiting for him.

“Jeon Jungkook, stop squirming in your seat.” Seokjin said.

“Sorry hyung” Jungkook said.

“Looks like someone’s excited to go home.” Jimin teased.

“Of course, Baekhyun hyung’s there.” Jungkook said, regretting it afterwards. He closed his eyes and bit his bottom lip. He was not going to hear the end of this.

“Wait what?” Hoseok asked. “Did I hear it correctly?” Jungkook knew what was coming, and he was already bracing himself for the worst.

“Yes, he did say Baekhyun.” Taehyung said. “Is that why you’re always in a good mood Kookie?”

“Well, I-“ But Jimin cut him off.

“Oh my god, do you like Baekhyun hyung? I thought you liked Kyungsoo?” He asked.

“Well, let me expla-“ But Namjoon cut him off too.

“Are you two together?” After that question, the others started talking. Yoongi, who was feeling sorry for Jungkook, just sighed and patted his back.

When they reached the dorm, they all gathered in the living room and called out Baekhyun.

“Is there something wrong?” Baekhyun asked.

“Well” Seokjin said. “You tell us hyung”

“Are you guys dating or something?” Namjoon asked bluntly, making Baekhyun and Jungkook blush. “Well? Are you?”

“Well....” Jungkook said. “Are we hyung?”

“Uh...” Baekhyun bit his bottom lip. “I guess we are, sort of?”

It took a while before the others reacted, because they fell silent for a short while, but soon, they all jumped together, laughing and shouting.

“So you guys are okay with that?” Baekhyun asked.

“Of course hyung!” Jimin shouted.

“You guys don’t mind me dating him?” Jungkook asked.

“It’s kind of sweet you know” Namjoon said. “But, because of this, there will be house rules.”

Baekhyun and Jungkook gulped. He sat next to Jungkook, waiting for the rules Namjoon will give.

“Number one” He raised a finger. “Keep a low profile okay?”

They both nodded. Seokjin gave rule number 2.

“Number two, don’t let the manager see you or you guys together, since he still doesn’t know of your presence.”

“And number three, use protection.” Hoseok said. The others quickly smacked him because of what he said. “What? I’m being serious here.”

Baekhyun wanted to faint, while Jungkook wanted to run and hide forever, because this was too embarrassing for them to handle.

“Well, he does have a point” Namjoon said. “But, I don’t think they’ll be doing....it anytime soon.”

Baekhyun and Jungkook quickly shook their heads and agreed with Namjoon. They regretted saying anything, but they were happy because the others took it better than they expected.

Baekhyun and Jungkook had this mutual agreement. Baekhyun needed to move on and Jungkook was sure he can help him. They weren’t a couple yet, but that kiss last night was an assurance for both of them, and Baekhyun had a very good feeling about this.

And usually, his intuitions are always right.

---

After that little talk they had back at the mall, Jongin noticed how Kyungsoo quickly avoided him. As soon as they got back, Kyungsoo quickly went to his room. Jongin tried to think of the reason why he was acting that way.

Kyungsoo seems to be angry, well more like he is angry, but Jongin wasn’t really sure what he did wrong. Was he angry because he was protecting Baekhyun? Was he angry at Baekhyun? Jongin wasn’t really sure.

And Jongin wasn’t really a person who waits, so he went to Kyungsoo and asked him directly.

“Hey hyung, are you mad at me?” Jongin asked. Kyungsoo was a bit startled because as soon as Jongin entered, he quickly asked the question head on.

“I’m not” Kyungsoo said, but not giving the other a glance. “I’m fine”

“Hyung, I know you’re lying” He said. “Is it about Baekhyun hyung?” Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and heaved a heavy sigh.

“Why do you keep on insisting that I have a problem?” Kyungsoo asked, obviously pissed off.

“Because you do have one hyung.” Jongin said. “If it’s about Baekhyun hyung then-“ Kyungsoo cut him off.

“Baekhyun, Baekhyun, Baekhyun. Is that all you’re gonna say Jongin? Baekhyun messed up big time okay? He did wrong! Why are you taking his side?”

“Because I-“

“You believe him, heck you might even like him sheesh. Not everything is about Baekhyun Jongin, get a move on.” Kyungsoo wasn’t sure why he was acting this way too.

“I do not like him hyung!” Jongin said, this time shouting. He didn’t care how dangerously close he was to Kyungsoo.

“Stop lying!” But Kyungsoo suddenly stopped, because Jongin was actually kissing him, on the lips. Kim Jongin was kissing him. When he realized what was happening, he quickly pushed Jongin away. “Why the hell did you kiss me? Get away from me!”

Jongin was dumbstruck. He did the thing he was avoiding to do, and his greatest fear was finally happening.

“I...I’m sorry.” Jongin rushed out of the room, ran out of the door and tried to find his happy place.

After a while, Jongin stopped and rested his back on a lamp post, tears streaming down his face, panting heavily from all the running he did. He took out his phone and dialled Baekhyun’s number. After three rings, he answered.

“Jongin?”

“Hyung” Jongin said in between of breathing. He couldn’t even say anything. He just cried and fell to his knees.

“Yah! Kim Jongin, what’s wrong? Are you hurt?”

“I messed up hyung, I messed up.”

“Where are you?”

“I’m at the park near our dorm.”

“Stay there okay? I’ll be right there.”

 

 

 

Nothing much to say....