13

The Domino Effect

The group watched the two MC's from the flat-screen TV plastered on the wall.

Jongin and Sehun kept talking to each other on how Baekhyun looked so good, how great his hosting is going on so far and all that.

"What is wrong with you all?" Their manager asked, noticing the silence of the others.

What was wrong with them?

It was their comeback today, so they were supposed to be excited. So, why was there unwanted tension inside the room?

Being bothered was an understatement, because it was beyond that. Did they find Baekhyun's presence a bit uncomfortable? Probably.

"So, for your comeback interview, try ro act natural, okay?" He said. "We don't want any news spreading about any bad blood between you guys and Baekhyun."

Yes, that was something SM took care off, image. Despite the rumours and issues, SM made sure to keep things at bay. Can they act natural around Baekhyun, like what Suho is doing now? They have too.

A knock was heard, and EXO was being called on-stage for their interview, and they guessed they'll be seeing Baekhyun a bit sooner than expected. They exited the room and followed the woman. When the two MC's called for them, they walked to the stage with all smiles. It's not like the fans would noticd their fake smiles, right? They hope they don't.

"Let us welcome, EXO!" Suho shouted. The crowd roared in shouts and applauses.

"Please introduce yourselves." Baekhyun said, giving them a smile.

"Annyeonghaseyo! We are EXO, we are one!" They said in unison.

"So, your group is here for your comeback." Baekhyun said. It sounded so weird, the way he said that it's their group.

How was it so easy for him, like nothing happened? Were they the only ones feeling uncomfortable here?

"Please explain the theme of your comeback." He said, handing over his microphone to Jongdae.

"Our comeback song, 'Growl', will showcase our manly side and will show a unique side of EXO." Chanyeol was sure that Jongdae can be an actor someday, because there were no signs of discomfort coming from him whatsoever.

The interview revolved around the group. Suho and Baekhyun constantly asked questions, though Chanyeol wasn't really listening. His attention was on Baekhyun, and he hoped that he wasn't that obvious, because he's been staring the whole time.

He wasn't staring, he was.... observing. But who cares? He missed Baekhyun and that was a good reason for him to stare, right?

The first thing Chanyeol noticed was Baekhyun's smile. It's not the same, warm smile. It seems... broken, in some ways, but Chanyeol wasn't really sure. But he was still the same in physical aspects. His eyes trailed to Baekhyun's fingers. He was amazed how his hand looked like a female's. He really took care of his hands, the tips were like candles, and his fingernails were small and well groomed. Seeing Baekhyun gave Chanyeol a nostalgic feeling. All the memories they shared started to play in his mind. Was there a feeling of disappointment too? He wasn't sure.

His thoughts were disturbed when Suho asked the final question to Luhan.

"Thank you EXO, and good luck with your peformance." Baekhyun said. They exited the stage and went back to their dressing room.

"Am I the only one who found that awkward?" They thought Jongdae was joking, but seeing his serious expression proved it otherwise.

"I think most of us found it awkward." Kyungsoo said. He sat next to Jongin, but the latter suddenly stood up and sat next to Sehun.

Ever since that incident, Jongin was never the same again, and it always saddened Kyungsoo, because there was no closure between them. He missed the Jongin he knew, the one he took care off.

"But we managed to pull it off" Kris said.

"For how long though?" Minseok asked, waiting for an answer, but no answer came.

For how long?

---

They just finished their comeback performance . It was great, and everything went well. They were happy with the feedback they got from the fans. They went back to their dressing room with the feeling of relief.

"Where are you two going?" Kris asked,  seeing Jongin and Sehun making their way to the door.

"Hyung's gonna perform." Jongin simply said. Sehun followed him out, and to their surprise, Chanyeol went with them.

As they walked in silence, Chanyeol decided to break it and ask about Baekhyun. Out of all the members, it was these two who were updated with Baekhyun's life.

"Hey Sehun" The younger hummed. "Is he still made at us?"

"I'm not really sure. I mean, he was never mad with me and Jongin, and we never actually talked about it."

"So, I guess you guys believe him, that he didn't slap Sulli?" Chanyeol asked quietly. The question was a bit offensive for Jongin.

"Look, don't take this the wrong way, but none of you really investigated further you know. You all believes her, without even listening to hyung's side."

It was still a mystery how Sulli convinced all of them. She was crying hard when she knocked that morning, and Amber was even there to support her claim, and she was pretty credible, right?

"You chose to believe her, and we chose to believw him. You think she's right, we think hyung's right." Sehun added.

They were right. It was a mattee of choosing. If Chanyeol chose Baekhyun, would have it made a difference?

The three stopped and stood by the back stage. They were right on time, because Ailee started to sing. Where was Baekhyun? Chanyeol wondered. His eyes searched for the said male, and there he was, eyes marked with eyeliner, something Baekhyun was really fond of, and his hair was coifed up.

He's nervous. Chanyeol's lips twitched into a smile.

Baekhyun nibbles on his bottom lip whenever he's nervous.

"Baek, stop squirming." Chanyeol said. The other has been feeling uneasy ever since they got there.

"But Yeol, this is our first performance, as part of the SMTown concert." He said, nibbling on his bottom lip. They were finally added to SMTown, and this was a very big concert, especially for them, since it's their first.

"We'll be fine Baek, trust me." Chanyeol said. Baekhyun nodded, but kept chewing his bottom lip. Chanyeol chuckled and held Baekhyun'a hand. "Trust me, Baek."

"Don't let go, okay?" Baekhyun said. The warmth of the other's hand made him feel safe and assured. 

"I promise" Chanyeol held the hand tighter as they walked to the stage.

Ailee was almost finished with the first chorus, and when she was, it was Baekhyun's cue to finally appear. He slowly walked to the stage, singing the parts assigned to him.

And Chanyeol noticed another thing, though it wasn't really new.

Baekhyun looked stunning.

He wore a blue suit, tailored just for him, which accentuated his slim body.

Baekhyun and Chanyeol's eyes suddenly met.

At that moment, Chanyeol realized something. The song he was singing, it was not only a performance, it was a message, for everyone.

For most, they would say it's the same Baekhyun, bur Chanyeol felt the difference. This wasn't the same Baekhyun he knew. The way their eyes stared at each other, it was different. His eyes no longer had this softness in them, only strength. They sparkled, but it's different.

Baekhyun has changed, more than what people actually see. He changed because of what they did, and he used that to find courage.

The performance ended. The fans roared and cheered for the two.

"You were great, Baekhyun." Ailee said, giving him a quick hug. "I'll see you back at the dressing room, okay?" He nodded and Ailee left.

"Hyung, you were great!" Jongin shouted, wrapping his arms around Baekhyun.

"I knew you'd be great hyung. Your singing did get a lot better." Sehun joined in and engulfed the two in a hug.

"You guys were great too." Baekhyun barely said. The two were hugging him too tightly, and Chanyeol felt a bit off with the sight.

Was it weird of Chanyeol felt out of place? What was he doing there in the first place? He wanted to see Baekhyun's performance, and now that it's done, he should probably leave now.

"Hey" Chanyeol stopped in his tracks and turned around. "Where are you going?"

"Oh, I was- Well, I'm not-" Chanyeol scratched the nape of his neck awkwardly.

"Aren't you going to give me a hug, Park Chanyeol?" Baekhyun asked. "There's room for one more."

Was this real?  Was Baekhyun reallys asking him for a hug? Chanyeol hesitated, but he found himself inching closer to the three. Sehun and Jongin exchanged confused looks, but didn't say anything. They pulled away from Baekhyun and stood next to each other.

Chanyeol stood in front of the other, not sure how to go with this. It was only a hug, but why was it so hard to do? But to his surprise, it was Baekhyun who initiated it.

"You were great, Chanyeol." Baekhyun said. How long has Chanyeol longed for this moment?

"You were great too, Baekhyun." He nervously wrapped his arms around the other.

He missed Baekhyun, that he already established. But this, this gave Chanyeol a new feeling. He wanted to run, because he was afraid of where this might lead.

But despite his confusion, one thing was clear. He wanted Baekhyun next to him always.

But how?

 

 

 

 

So here's the update!! Flashbacks are coming for the next chapters!And more Kookie Baek! Try listening to Good bye bye by NU'EST!

Sorry for the errors! No proof reading was made! Love you!!