05

The Domino Effect

It was warm. Baekhyun feels so warm right now.

The warmth feels so comfortable and safe.

Was he dead? He opened his small eyes just to be sure.

One thing’s for sure, he wasn’t dead. He was in room, and he was covered with warm blankets.

“Is he awake?” Baekhyun could hear someone say.

“I can’t tell, his eyes are small without eyeliner.” Another person said.

“He does look a lot like you” Baekhyun wanted to laugh at these people, whoever they are.

Baekhyun decided to wake up and find out who these people were. He sat up and scratched both of his eyes before squinting them.

“Oh” Baekhyun said. “Hello”

“I told you he’s awake.” Namjoon said. “Hello Baekhyun hyung, we’re-“ Baekhyun smiled and nodded.

“I know who you guys are. Please tell me if I’m right okay?” They nodded. “You’re Namjoon, he’s Seokjin, Yoongi, Hoseok, Jimin, Taehyung, and.... Where’s Jungkook?”

“He’s cooking some porridge for you hyung” Jimin said. “It is alright for us to call you that right?”

“Just call me Baekhyun, I don’t mind.” Baekhyun said, smiling at them. “How did I end up here?”

“We actually found you sleeping outside our agency.” Taehyung said.

“What was that about?” Seokjin asked. The door suddenly opened, revealing the golden maknae Jungkook with a tray.

“Just ask him later hyungs, let him rest first.” Jungkook said. “And I want all of you out of here.”

“You just want him to yourself Kookie” Hoseok said. Jungkook manage to hold back his smile but ended up blushing. He cleared his throat and comically dragged everyone out of the room.

“Sorry about that hyung” Jungkook said, scratching the back of his neck. “Here, I made you some hot soup.”

“Thank you... Kookie.” Baekhyun said, chuckling. “It looks good, thank you.”

“I’ll go out first. Don’t hesitate to call us if you need anything.” He stood up and went out of the room.

Baekhyun fell asleep, in front of a building. How can something like that happen? But it was a good thing they were the ones who found him.

But then he suddenly remembered something. He found his phone at a desk near him. He took and prayed that it was still functional and to his luck, it was.

Jongin had 18 missed calls.

Wow.

Baekhyun dialled Jongin’s number.

“Why the hell weren’t you answering your phone hyung? I was so worried!” Jongin shouted, not bothering with the greetings.

“Sorry Jongin, I sort of fell asleep.”

“An article said you were seen with a big bag. Where are you hyung?”

“You’re not going to believe this, but I’m at BTS dorm.”

“How did you end up there?”

“The funny thing is... I fell asleep in front of their building.” Baekhyun forced a laugh.

“What?!? Why? What were you even doing there?”

“It started to rain hard, so I stayed there for a while, until I fell asleep.” He could hear Jongin scoff and could imagine his face right now.

“You do know that was dangerous right? What if some crazy fans saw you?”

“I’m sorry Jongin, but I’m fine now.”

“Where are you going from there?” Jongin asked, silencing Baekhyun. He was still trying to figure out that part. He tried to think of a lie, but Jongin quickly saw through him. “You don’t have a place to go”

“Yeah...” Baekhyun said in a low voice. “I was planning to go home, but my money’s not enough.”

“Come back here hyung, ignore the others. Sehun and I will protect you from them.”

“I can’t Jongin, I can’t anymore. I’m not welcome there anymore.” Familiar tears started to fall again. “I’ll be fine Jongin. I’ll find a cheap place to live in and find a job.”

“But hyung...”

“I’ll be fine Jongin, promise. Tell Sehun I’m okay and don’t tell the others that you talked to me. I don’t want you to get in trouble.”

“But hyung-“ Baekhyun ended the phone call and turned off his phone.

“You don’t have a place to stay at?” Jungkook suddenly ask. He was standing there for quite some time now. “I actually came back to give you some water. Sorry for eavesdropping.”

“No it’s fine.” Baekhyun wiped his face clean and sighed. “I actually don’t have a place to live in as of the moment and I guess now you know why.”

“Here’s the water. I’ll be right back.” Jungkook rushed out of the room, leaving a very confused Baekhyun.

After a while, it wasn’t only Jungkook who returned, but all of the members.

“Thanks for the food and shelter guys. I better get going now.” Baekhyun said. “Thank you for your hospitality.”

“Stay” Jungkook said.

“What?”

“Stay here, with us.”

“I can’t Jungkook, I-“

“Why can’t you?” Seokjin said. “Jungkook told us everything. We want you to stay.”

“We can’t let you sleep in the street, especially now we’ve started to care for you.” Yoongi said. “We’ll get worried sick.”

“But guys I-“

“Stay Baekhyun hyung” Jimin insisted. “We’ll take care of you here.”

“I don’t want to be anyone’s baggage.” Baekhyun said.

“You’re not a burden to anyone Baekhyun” Namjoon said. “We really insist.”

“It’ll be our little secret.” Taehyung said, nodding. “You can count on us Baekhyun hyung.”

“We don’t know what really happened to you hyung” Jungkook inched closer and soon, gave Baekhyun a hug. “But whatever it is, we won’t judge. You’ll be safer here.”

“I don’t know what to say to you guys.”

“We don’t care about what you did or your past; we see the good side of people.” Jimin added, making Baekhyun smile even wider.

“We’ll take care of you hyung” Jungkook said, hugging Baekhyun even tighter.

And this time, Baekhyun hugged him back. “Thanks Kookie”

“Get a room!” Hoseok shouted, making everyone laugh. The two broke the hug and awkwardly laughed.

But soon their laughter died down as Yoongi had to ask something.

“Who would tell the manager?”

“Baekhyun hyung will be easy to hide.” Jungkook said in full confidence. “Come on hyungs, we can do this, for Baekhyun hyung.”

Baekhyun wasn’t sure what was happening, because just like his removal from the group, these people were quickly accepting him.

But at that moment, the front door opened, meaning their manager was there.

“He came too early today.” Seokjin said. “I’ll go check up on him. You guys hide him.” He rushed out of the room.

The people inside the room could hear the manager’s voice, inching closer and closer. He was looking for the other members to check-up on them if they were ready.

“We’ll go outside, you go hide him Kookie.” Namjoon said, walking out of the room followed by the others.

“I think I should just go Jungkook” Baekhyun said. “I don’t want anyone of you to get in trouble.”

“Hyung, it’s fine. We can handle this.” Jungkook said. Taehyung suddenly entered the room.

“He’s coming here, we have no time!” He whispered. “Aha! I know the perfect hiding place.” Taehyung dragged Jungkook and Baekhyun inside the closet.

Jungkook wasn’t sure why he was dragged inside the closet too, but there was no use complaining now, because their manager was already in the room.

“Where’s Jungkook?”

“He... Ugh.. He went to buy some...” Yoongi wasn’t the best liar.

“He went to the convenient store to buy some toothpaste!” Seokjin said. Jungkook rolled his eyes. Nice save hyungs.

Even Baekhyun started to giggle.

And looking at him now, Jungkook realized how dangerously close he is to the other.

The closet wasn’t actually for clothes, it was utility closet for house things. It was so small that Baekhyun had his hands in front of him while Jungkook was in front of him.

This was so awkward.

“Sorry if it’s a bit cramped here.” Jungkook said, awkwardly laughing.

“N-n-no no, I’m fine.”

Someone suddenly opened the door, making Jungkook fall on his back and Baekhyun falling on top of him.

“He’s gone, but he’ll be back in a short while.” Seokjin said. Taehyung helped Baekhyun up while Jungkook sat on the floor.

“What were you two doing there?” Hoseok asked, again with the teasing.

“Why are you two sweating?” Namjoon added, joining Hoseok with the teasing.

“Stop it you two. Come on, let’s all get ready so that when manager hyung comes back, we can leave faster.” Seokjin said.

“But what about Baekhyun hyung?” Jimin asked.

“He’ll be alright here, and we’re only going for an interview. So come on” Seokjin went out of the room. The other followed so they can get ready too.

“Stay here okay hyung? We’ll be right back.” Jungkook said.

Baekhyun sat on the bed, watching as the others prepared to leave. He actually thought of leaving, because he feels that he’s being a burden to them.

And he might leave, but of course, he wouldn’t tell them.

---

“I feel so tired.” Hoseok said, stretching at his seat. “It’s a good thing we’re heading home.”

“Kookie here will get to see you know who.” Taehyung teased, a smug plastered on his face.

Jungkook was actually enthralled to go home, that he even suggested that they buy some extra food for their guest.

When Jungkook saw Baekhyun earlier, he looked so tired. And Jungkook was displeased with that.

Their car stopped because of a red light, and Jungkook’s eyes saw the person he wanted to take care off.

“Wait, isn’t that Baekhyun hyung?” Jungkook asked, pointing at the person.

“It is, where is he going?” Jimin added.

“Jeon Jungkook, where are you going?” Seokjin shouted as Jungkook rushed into the rain.

But Jungkook didn’t care. He ran and ran until he caught up to the other.

“I thought we agreed that you won’t leave.” Jungkook asked, panting. Baekhyun suddenly stopped and froze in his place.

“Jungkook, I... I don’t want to be a burden to anyone.” He said and before he could continue walking, Jungkook ran up to him and wrapped him around his arms.

“You’re not hyung, you’re not a burden to us or to anyone.”

“I’m scared” Baekhyun said. “I’m afraid of people leaving me again.”

“We won’t do anything to hurt you hyung, we promise.” Jungkook assured. “Come on, it’s raining. You might get sick if you stay out too long.” He took the big bag and easily carried it back to the van.

 

 

 

Introducing.... BTS everyone!!