10

The Domino Effect

Jungkook has been pacing in front of the door for quite some time now. As soon as they got home, their manager was already there looking for him and Baekhyun.

How did their manager find out? He doesn’t really know. He forgot to check his phone because apparently, the other members tried to call him and already texted him that their manager was there.

So their manager dragged Baekhyun in a room and locked it, not wanting anyone to disturb their talk.

“Kookie, stop pacing around the room.” Namjoon said.

“I can’t okay? Hyung’s in there and I can’t even do anything.” Jungkook said. “I don’t want him to leave.”

“He won’t Kookie” Taehyung said.

“How did he even find out?” He asked.

“Well, Hoseok here accidentally texted the manager instead of you, asking where are you guys.” Jungkook gave Hoseok a glare, where the latter quickly looked elsewhere.

“Kookie, he’ll be fine okay?” Seokjin said. “If manager hyung wants him to leave, then we’ll talk to him.”

Jungkook was still panicking, even with Seokjin’s reassurance, but it will have to do. If their manager kicks Baekhyun out, they’ll all convince him.

“How long have they been there?” Jimin asked.

“About 45 minutes” Yoongi said.

“When are they going to come out?” Jungkook was about to knock, when the door suddenly opened.  Their manager went out, while Baekhyun followed behind him with his head hanging, face looking at the floor.

Before their manager could start speaking, Jungkook stated to talk.

“Please hyung, we’re sorry for hiding him. He just needed a place to stay and we just wanted to help. Please, don’t kick him out.” Their manager tried to talk but Jungkook continued. “Please hyung, Baekhyun hyung means so much to us, please don’t kick him out.”

And before Jungkook could continue, Seokjin covered the maknae’s mouth with his hand.

“Thank you Seokjin.” He said. “Now, I am very disappointed with this. No wonder I had this feeling that you were hiding something.”

They all faced the floor because of their manager’s disappointment.

“Second, I appreciate you guys trying to help out, but I wish you guys took in mind to what might happen if the press finds out.”

They still had their heads down. Jungkook managed to break away from Seokjin.

“Please hyung, don’t kick him out.”

“Who says anything about kicking him out?” The others looked at him with disbelief and started to question him. “I’m disappointed, but I’m not a bad person you know. He can stay.”

The other members shouted in happiness and took Baekhyun for a group hug.

“But” They suddenly stopped. “There is a condition.”

“What condition?” Namjoon asked.

“Well, Baekhyun here will explain it all to you. I need to go.” He said. “Don’t forget about our little deal, okay Baekhyun?” Baekhyun nodded obediently.

They manager left and Baekhyun asked everyone to gather in the living room.

“What’s the condition hyung?” Taehyung asked.

“Well...” Baekhyun started.

“Well? Well what? Just say it god dammit!” Jungkook suddenly shouted, making Baekhyun move back a little. “Come on hyung, tell us! We need to know. Why won’t you say anything?” And Jungkook quickly regretted his impatience, because clearly, it wasn’t help at all.

“Jungkook, stop!” Seokjin shouted.

“I.... I’m sorry.” Baekhyun whimpered before running to an empty room.

“Jeon Jungkook, what the hell was that?” Seokjin asked. Jungkook groaned and followed Baekhyun.

“Hyung...” Baekhyun was back facing him, crying his heart out. This gave Jungkook déjà vu, only this time, it was Baekhyun back facing him.

He could see Baekhyun wiping the tears away before he faced him.

“I’m sorry for shouting hyung, I was just worried. I mean, I was afraid that he might kick you out and... I’m really sorry hyung.”

“Jungkook, it’s no one’s fault okay? You don’t need to apologize for anything.” He said. “I ran because... because I was afraid.”

“Afraid of what hyung?”

“Afraid that I might disappoint people again.” Baekhyun sniffled. “I’m afraid that people might leave me again if I screw up.” Baekhyun hugged himself. Jungkook naturally took Baekhyun in his arms, caressing his back slowly.

“Hyung, mistakes are part of life. Without it, people don’t learn. You’ve already proven so much. You’ll be fine hyung, trust me. We won’t leave you no matter what.”

“Really?”

“Of course hyung! You’ll be fine.” Jungkook said. He kissed Baekhyun on the forehead, making the latter blush.

“Thanks Kookie, come on. Let’s go back to the others.” Jungkook nodded. They both stood up. As soon as the door opened, the others suddenly appeared piled up.

“What are you hyungs doing there?” Jungkook asked, laughing. “Were you spying on our conversation?”

The others quickly shook their heads and ran back to the living room. Jungkook and Baekhyun both shared a laugh and followed them.

“So....” Namjoon started. “What did manager hyung want?”

“Yeah hyung, what did he want?” Taehyung asked.

“Well... He allowed me to stay, only if...” The others inched closer. “He asked me to audition for Big Hit entertainment.”

“Then what’s the problem with that hyung? That’s great news!” Yoongi shouted.

“You’ll be part of our family soon, officially!” Hoseok added. The others started to talk about their excitement, but one of them noticed Baekhyun’s uneasiness.

“What’s the problem hyung?” Seokjin asked. The others fell silent with the sudden question.

“I’m scared that I might not get in.” He said. “I’m afraid of disappointing anyone.” But Jungkook knew what he was capable of. He wrapped his arm around Baekhyun’s shoulder and raised his hand.

“He can do it hyungs, I know he can!” He shouted. “Right?”

The others nodded and joined Jungkook.

“We’ll cheer for you hyung, all of us.” Jungkook said. Baekhyun couldn’t help but feel special, and after a long time, he felt loved and wanted.

“You can practice here if you want!” Jimin suggested. “You need to do two presentations: a song and a dance.”

“You’re singing is already impeccable hyung” Namjoon said. “So maybe we can focus on your strong dancing.”

Baekhyun suddenly felt nervous. He knows how to dance, but he isn’t the best dancer.

“You’ll be fine hyung” Seokjin said. “Jimin here will help you.”

Jimin was a great dancer, and Baekhyun could learn a thing or two from him, but of course, he’ll also ask Jongin for some help, and having two teachers would be better.

“When will you audition hyung?” Taehyung asked, checking his calendar.

“I’ll be auditioning Saturday next week.”

“Okay, so today’s Monday. So you have almost two weeks to prepare.”

Everything was going too fast again. One minute, he was speaking to their manager, the next minute, the others were already helping him with his audition.

Things were going to fast again, too fast that Baekhyun was afraid he might not live up to everyone’s expectation.

But he had no choice.

He needs to do this in order to live.

---

            Kyungsoo wasn’t sure if Jongin was faking this or he was just really taking things better than he expected.

After their little fight, Jongin was pretty much back again, though Kyungsoo could notice the little distance between them, which was a bit expected, since it’s awkward for the two of them right now.

It was weird. They share the same dorm, same room even but they haven’t even talked or greeted each other.

Maybe Jongin wasn’t taking it easier than Kyungsoo thought. Maybe Jongin was really pissed but was still being professional for the rest of them.

Why was Jongin angry anyways? He’s the one who started this, right? So Jongin should be the one to apologize.

“Hey Kyungsoo, you okay?” Luhan asked. “You’ve been spaced out for quite some time now.”

“I was?” Luhan nodded. “It’s nothing, I’m really fine.”

“Is it about Jongin?”

“What? No. Why do you ask that?”

“Well, you two have not been talking you know. It’s been three day already.” Kyungsoo suddenly realized how long it has been.

“It’s nothing, we’re fine.” Kyungsoo said. He gave Luhan a smile and left the room, not wanting to be asked any more questions. He entered his shared room, and to his surprise, Jongin wasn’t there.

Did he leave? Kyungsoo thought. He went out and saw Chanyeol.

“Hey Chanyeol”

“What is it?” Chanyeol asked.

“Have you seen Jongin?”

“Well, Suho hyung told me he left with Sehun a while ago.”

“Oh, okay. Thanks.” Chanyeol gave him a smile and left.

Kyungsoo didn’t even notice him leave. Why does he care even? It’s not like he should know about Jongin’s schedule.

“Hey guys, come and check this out!” Jongdae shouted from the living room. The others went to his call and stood behind him.

“What is it Jongdae?” Yi Fan asked.

“You are not going to believe this.” Jongdae moved aside for the others to see the screen of his tablet.

“What’s wrong?” Suho asked. “It’s just a picture of Sehun and Jongin.”

“Wait, that’s what Jongin wore today, I’m sure of it.” Minseok said.

“And that’s what Sehun wore today.” Luhan added.

“What the article say anyways?” Yi Fan asked.

They all stared at the article header which read: [BREAKING] EXO-K Members Sehun and Kai seen in front of Big Hit Entertainment with ex-member Baekhyun.

“What are they doing there?” Suho asked. “Just read us the article Jongdae.”

Jongdae took his tablet and read the gist of the article for everyone to hear.

“Fans spotted EXO members Sehun and Jongin entering Big Hit entertainment with ex-member Baekhyun earlier today. There have been no recent news to what the ex-member has been doing, but it seems that Baekhyun will be auditioning for this agency. That’s the summary.”

“Baekhyun? Auditioning for Big hit?” Yixing asked.

“That’s where BTS is under.” Suho said. His phone suddenly rang. “It’s manager hyung.” Suho excused himself and left the living room.

“So that’s where they are right now.” Tao said, nodding.

“Manager hyung told me to contact Sehun and Jongin and tell them to come back immediately.” Suho said. “Can you guys call him for me?”

“I’ll call Sehun” Luhan said.

“I’ll call Jongin” Chanyeol took out his phone and dialled his number. But before they could dial, the two members suddenly entered from the front door.

“What are you guys doing there?” Sehun asked.

“Where were you?” Suho asked, smiling at the two. Of course he’d ask the two first before anything else.

“We went to see Baekhyun hyung.” Jongin said, placing his hands on both pockets. Kyungsoo could feel Jongin’s words right there and then.

So much for not being affected.

“What did you do-“ Chanyeol was cut off.

“We’ve read the article” Sehun said. “I’ll go rest now.” He gave a bow before leaving.

“Me too” Jongin said, giving a bow before going to his room.

“They look tired” Yi Fan said. “Let’s just ask them later.”

But Kyungsoo wasn’t really the patient type. He went back to the room and found Jongin lying in bed. The other wasn’t sleeping, but rather texting with a smile on his face that Kyungsoo never missed.

“Kim Jongin” Kyungsoo said. Jongin just raised his head and raised both eyebrows. Kyungsoo almost rolled his eyes at the lack of reaction, but didn’t bother. “Where were you?”

“We were with Baekhyun hyung”

“Why?”

“It’s none of your business.” He said. Kyungsoo ignored the other’s rudeness and asked again.

“What do you mean why? An article just popped up about you guys, about EXO, and you’re asking me why? Why were you at Big hit?”

“Like I said, it does not concern you.” He insisted. “You have nothing to do with this okay? Now if you’ll excuse me hyung, I want to get some sleep.” Jongin backfaced him and closed his eyes.

Kyungsoo tried to say something back, but no words really came out. For a while, he just stood there, looking at Jongin’s back. In the end, he just sighed and went to bed in defeat.

---

When Baekhyun asked Jongin to help him with the training, he never expected Sehun to be there too.

During practice, Jimin, Jongin and Sehun would help in every way they can.

It’s been almost a week and they’ve accomplished so much. Baekhyun was allowed to use the facilities, so during the day, Taehyung and Jungkook would help him with vocals. After that, the others would help him dancing.

The song he chose to dance was ‘We are Bulletproof’ by BTS. Baekhyun wasn’t actually used to this kind of dance, or genre even, but it was a good choice.  At least he’ll show a different side, something he has never done before.

Jungkook has been nothing but supportive towards him. After another day of practice has been done, Jungkook would offer to practice more, but with only just the two of them.

He was all around.

He knows how to rap, sing and dance. As Baekhyun remembered, Jungkook came to SM before, but he was still a trainee then. Maybe SM wanted him because of his talents and looks, but it was a good think he didn’t accept the offer.

Baekhyun sighed and went out of the room. He saw the others gathered in the living room, all in one place.

“What are you guys going?” He asked. The others almost jumped and Baekhyun swore he saw Hoseok hide his phone behind him. “Is there anything wrong?”

“It’s nothing hyung!” Yoongi shouted. He stood up and gave Baekhyun a smile, but he knew the smile was hiding something.

“Come on you guys, tell me what’s wrong.” Because with their dumbstruck faces, he knew there was something going on. The others just exchanged looks. “Please?”

Jungkook was pushed in front of Baekhyun, meaning the others wanted him to say it.

“The thing is...” Jungkook bit his bottom lip, which distracted Baekhyun a little bit. “Chanyeol, he-“ But instead of continuing, Hoseok handed him the phone he hid earlier.

They were looking at an article and as soon as Baekhyun saw the headline, he felt his knees weaken.

[BREAKING] EXO member Chanyeol confirmed to be dating label mate f(x) member Sulli.

Baekhyun didn’t want to read the article. He wanted to drop the phone and hide. But it seems that his pair of small eyes thought otherwise.

SM, who has a strict policy on dating, confirmed that Chanyeol and Sulli were dating for about 3 months now. The two were spotted by fans on dates and it seems that with this confirmation, the two are now known to be dating. Chanyeol and Sulli confirmed it themselves, and with the company’s confirmation, fans have mixed emotions about this.

Jungkook gently took the phone from Baekhyun, seeing that he was already spaced out. He took Baekhyun in his arms and there, Baekhyun broke down.

Baekhyun felt stupid.

How can he even feel hurt with this? Chanyeol was dating Sulli. So what? Why did it matter to him? He has no right to feel this way. He shouldn’t be doing this.

But of course, he knew the answer.

He loves Chanyeol and he still does.

But no, he needs to be realistic with this. He needs to face facts soon, or else he wouldn’t be able to.

“I’ll be fine, I just need a day and tomorrow, I’ll be fine.”

“Are you sure?” Baekhyun could feel the worry in Jungkook’s voice.

“I’ll be fine, all I need is you and I’ll be fine.”

 

 

 

 

I'll still write this even with the lack of feedback. This is something I really wanted to write, so to those who still read this, thank you!!