Chapter 3

Can you make me feel again?

Youngguk's POV 

When we got to my place, umma had started up dinner.  The guys sat at the table as I was looking for the editorial, I had found earlier, on my tablet.

"I explained to you hyungs how I'm trying to help Joon hee.  This picture should explain why she is the way she is." I turned the tablet around to show them.

"That's her parents?"  Hinchan asked.  I nodded.  "That explains a lot."

"Her parents don't look nice."  Zelo said.

"No they don't.  Umma and I believe that her parents don't show her affection and that they have hurt her real bad, so shes had to bury her emotions deep in herself and built a steel shell around herself.  I'm going to break down that shell and I need your help.  Umma and I need your help."  I explained.  

"That's so sad."  Jongup said.  "I'm in."

"What do you need us to do?"  Daehyun asked.

"We need to show her what a real family looks like.  You guys are my hyungs, like my umma's adopted sons.  We are like family.  I want you guys to treat her like a sister.  Be ourselves, to each other.  Show her what a family is."  I explained.

"Make sure your gentle with her.  This closeness we have, may scare her.  She won't know how to respond.  Just keep acting the way you do around each other.  Include her in it and don't take it personal if she does something like flinch at your touch.  This is something that will take time."  Umma added.

"We can do that."  Hinchan said.  Everyone agreed.

"She'll be here in an hour.  Let's go over some plays while we wait."  I suggested.

We were so into our plays that we didn't hear the knocking at the door.  It wasn't until I heard umma talking that I realized Joon hee was here.  I put my play book away and greeted her.  

"Hello.  Glad you came.  You remember everyone.  Please, have a seat."  this was going to be a little awkward.  Zelo decided to be bold.

"I'm glad you came."  Zelo came over and hugged her.

"Zelo.  How can you hug her?  She doesn't even know you that well."  Youngjae asked.

"She looked like she needed a hug.  So I did."  Zelo replied.

"You don't just go up to people and hug until you get close to them."  Youngjae said.

Youngjae and Zelo were still going back and forth so we stepped away from them.  Not one of us were upset.  This stuff happened between those two all the time.

"Umma, what did you make for dinner?  It smells really good."  I asked.

"Kids, have a seat.  We're going to start off with raddish salad and steamed mandu dumplings."  She replied.

We  all sat and waited while Umma laid the food on the table.  We served ourselves and dug in.  Umma out did her self.  The food was so good.  Thank God my umma could cook.   I looked at Joon hee.  She was looking at everyone at the table.  When her eyes got to me, I winked.  I thought I saw a hint of pink on her cheeks but her hair fell over her face and I couldn't be sure.

Umma served us soft tofu stew and  kimchi rice.  Umma was going all out.  I wasn't complaining.  No one else was either; Well, we had our mouths full too.  I enjoyed this dinner because umma didn't cook like this very often.  She usually make quick meals because she worked.

Halfway through dinner was when the conversation started.  Zelo and Youngjae stated up their thing again.  The guys and I started talking about some of our classes and soccer.  We tried getting Joon hee in the conversation but all we were getting very short answers.  We didn't let that bother us.  We kept being ourselves and including Joon hee.  

My hyungs and I were having fun.  Umma was enjoying herself too.  I glanced at Joon hee but I couldn't tell what she thought.  I hope something gets through.  I turned to watch Zelo and Youngjae.  They could raz each other for hours.  Sometimes It was annoying.  Zelo was reaching for Youngjae when he fell over.  We all rushed over to help him up.  Zelo had this peculiar look on his face.  Like he was stunned.  He was probably embarrassed.

We sat him upright and finished dinner.  Umma insisted on doing the dishes so we can go into the living room and play some cards.  It took a couple plays before Joon hee would join in.  She still was emotionless but she didn't seem as stiff and uncomfortable.  

We played two more hands before Joon hee announced it was time for her to go.  I walked her out the door.  We only waited five minutes before a BMW pulled up.  She thanked me, bowed and climbed into the car.  I was feeling disappointed.  I really hoped that this dinner would change her.

I walked into the house and plopped down on the couch.  My hyungs sat down around me.  They knew I was upset.

"I really hoped that seeing all of us together would effect her.  I guess it didn't."  I said.

"It did."  Zelo replied.

"How can you say that.  Not a muscle moved on her face."  I pointed out.

"Remember when I fell over?  While you hyungs were helping me I saw Joon hee's face.  She smiled.  It was pretty weak but it was a smile."  Zelo assured us.

"Dude!  Are you sure?"  I asked.

"I know what I saw."  Zelo argued.

"That's why you looked stunned.  I thought you were embarrassed."  I replied.

"I wasn't embarrassed.  I had never seen a muscle twitch on her face before.  It was like I wasn't sure what I saw was real, but it was.  That smile makes me want to help her even more.  I want to see a full smile on her face."  Zelo explained.

I understood what he meant.  I wanted to see her smile too.

"I thought I saw her blush."  Jongup added.

"So I wasn't seeing things.  When she looked at me, I winked.  I thought I saw a little pink on her cheeks but her hair covered her face."  I said.  "This turned out better then I thought."

We all were so excited.  We were making progress.  I told them that we had to think of something else we could do.  Take her to the mall, the amusement park, all though we did opt to do at some other time.  It was Hinchan who came up with the great idea.  Invite her to one of our soccer games.  I didn't even know if she liked soccer.  We were going to find out Monday.  The guys left for the night and umma and I went to bed happy.

Joon hee's POV

When I arrived home I went straight to my room.  I had to look up what was happening to me.  Was it gas again?  The warmth I felt, when Youngguk kissed my head, came back.  I wasn't kissed this time.  I started to smile when Zelo fell.  The warmth started shortly after the guys started interacting with each other.  Youngguk's umma was laughing too.  Didn't she know that children weren't supposed to speak until spoken to?  Children were to behave and show manners at all times?  Why did she allow them to speak and play around with each other at the table?  Things weren't supposed to be done that way.

Zelo should have been sent away from the table after the fall.  Why did I want to smile?  I should have been upset, yet I wasn't.  Why?  Is there something wrong with me.  Maybe I should ask Youngguk.  He seems real, not fake like the other students.

​Youngguk's POV

It was Monday again.  This is the first time I have ever looked forward to school.  Joon hee did that to me.  Through out the day all I thought about was the two hours I would spend with her.  The end of the day came and I raced to Mr. Choi's class.  Joon hee was waiting as she always does.

"Hi."  I greeted her.

"Hello."  She replied.

She started on our lesson of the day.  I had to concentrate on what she was saying because all I wanted to do was look at her.  By the end of the session, I probably only absorbed half of what she said.  I was putting my things in my book bag when I looked up and saw her staring at me.

"You okay?"  I asked.

"May I ask you a question?"  She replied.

"Sure."

"How come your umma allowed you and your hyungs to talk and play around at the table?"

"That's the way we do things.  We enjoy interacting with each other because we like each other."

"I don't understand."

"I know.  I imagine you weren't allowed to speak at the table?"  She just nodded.  "Were you uncomfortable?"

"A little.  However, I felt the warmth in my chest spread when Zelo fell.  It was the same warmth I got when you kissed my head.  Do you know what that is?  I thought it might be gas but I don't think that's it because I don't feel like I have gas."

"That warmth is happiness.  You were happy."

"I was?"

"Yes.  Zelo told us you smiled a little bit when that happened."

"I did.  So there's nothing wrong with me?"

"The only thing wrong with you is that you have forgotten how to feel.  That's what your learning, how to feel again.  Give me your phone."  I grabbed the phone from her.  "I'm putting my number in.  Anytime you have questions call or text me.  Oh, the guys and I wanted to invite you to our next game this Saturday."

"Do you need my number?"

"I called my phone from yours so I got it.  Will you go?"

"Okay.  Thank you for inviting me."

"Your welcome.  See you tomorrow."

Things were going great.  She must trust me enough to ask a personal question.  I was in such a great mood when I ran to the field.  I hugged my hyungs, told them what happened and began to practice.  Of course, Zelo is taking credit for this one.  I let him have it.   Today was such a great day.