Chapter 12

Can you make me feel again?

Yongguk's POV

For the last week there hasn't been any attempt to take Joon hee.  Uncle made sure to remind us to not let our guard down.  If we have a false sense of security, that's when they'll make their move and succeed.  The guys and myself still flanked Joon hee and Eun hee.   We stuck with our usual routine.  School, soccer and everyone over at my house.  They all might as well live there.  Omoni, Joon hee and I didn't mind.  We actually loved the company.  We were like one big happy family; well as happy as any can be when their lives were on the line.  I also have a feeling that Omoni and Uncle may have feelings for each other.  When they were together they acted like a couple of teenagers.  Joon hee and Eun hee thought it was cute but I thought it was a bit embarrassing.  Joon hee knew I felt that way and proceeded to tell me to relax, that Omoni deserved to happy.  

We did as Uncle told us and kept our guard up.  Everyone, that is, except one.  We were hanging out at my place after school except Uncle and Omoni, they were at work.  I looked at the clock.  It was after five.  Omoni was usually home by now.  If she had to work over she usually called.  I'd give her another hour before I'd call her.  Twenty minutes later I couldn't shake this nagging feeling.  I decided to phone Omoni anyway.  After calling three times and no one answering I called Uncle.  I had to call him twice before he answered.

"Uncle.  Have you heard from Omoni.  She hasn't come home yet and I'm getting worried."

"Yes I'm here with her now."

"Okay.  At your place?"

"No.  Yongguk, your Omoni is in the hospital."

"WHAT!  WHY?  WHAT HAPPENED?"  I saw the others stop what they were doing and started listening.

"I was running late picking your Omoni up.  She said that she would take the bus home.  I told her not to.  She was walking to the bus stop when she was attacked.  A pedestrian saw a man hit your mom over the head and try to carry her off but they yelled for help causing the man to drop her.  The police are looking for him now.  Your Omoni is in a coma.  I'll take care of the bills, you guys should come and visit her.  They won't let you in right now because their still working on her."

"We'll be right there."  I turned to the others.  "Omoni's been hurt. We need to go."  

"What happened?"  asked Youngjae.

"I'll explain on the way.  Let's go."

I flew to the hospital as fast I could get there.  I was surprised I didn't get pulled over.  All of us ran through the waiting room like a herd of wild animals.  At the desk, the receptionist directed us to Omoni's room.  I stopped for a second to collect myself before walking into the room.  

I felt like my heart got stuck in my throat and I was going to suffocate.  Omoni looked so pale and helpless.  I heard sniffling behind me.  Uncle stood up from the chair by Omoni's bed.  Eun hee ran into her Father's arms.  I walked closer to Omoni.  I could feel tears sliding down my cheeks.  I just stood by her bed.  I couldn't move.  I felt like I was paralyzed until arms surrounded me and someone leaned against my back.  I knew it was Joon hee.  I hung my head to hide my tears.  I was trying to keep it together.  I had to be strong.  I had to believe Omoni would pull through.  She was too strong not too.  

Beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep...................

I jerked my head up.  I broke free of Joon hee and ran to the hall yelling for the doctor.  Several nurses ran into the room.  I heard a voice on the intercom paging a code blue.  I knew it was bad.  Another nurse came in and escorted us to the waiting room.  I saw the doctor run by.  I began to pace.  I never could sit down when I was upset.  I continued to pace while everyone was sitting.  

Omoni was going to be fine.  She would pull through.  She wasn't allowed to die until she was really really old.  If I had it my way she would live forever.  No!  She wasn't allowed to die.  I won't let her.  I paced even faster.  I didn't know how much time passed when I finally saw the doctor heading our way.  I ran to him.

"Omoni.  How is she?"

"She's stable.  We're going to doing some tests.  She may have a brain hemorrhage, which may have been the cause of her heart stopping.  If that's the case, well have to do surgery.  I'll need you to fill out the paper work.  You are of age?  I nodded.  "The nurse will be out shortly."  We bowed as he turned to leave.

"Thank you doctor.  Please do your best."

A man dressed in walked over to us.  "Which of you is Dae ho?"

"That would be me."  Uncle stepped forward.

"I am Detective Lee."  He stuck out his hand and shook Uncle's.  "I would like to ask you a few questions."

"Okay.  Would you mind if we did this away from the kids?"

"Sure."

Uncle and the detective went to the other side of the waiting room.  It really didn't bother me because I knew that Uncle would eventually tell us.  I continued pacing.  I was stopped by Joon hee.

"Would you like a juice or coffee?"  

"Coffee would be great.  Thank you."  I put my hand on Joon hee's shoulder.  "I want to make sure that you understand that you are in no way responsible for this.  We all knew the dangers going in.  Okay?"

"Okay.  I am really sorry."  I hugged her and kissed her on top of her head.  I laid my head on hers.  "I love you."

"I love you too."  She whispered back.  After a few minutes she let go of me.  "I'll go get your coffee."

I watched her walk away.  I turned around and saw that Zelo was really trying to not cry.  I walked over and sat next to him and gathered him in my arms.  The flood gates opened and he began to sob.  I just rocked him back and forth and cried with him.  I didn't care if people were watching.  I wasn't ashamed.  Joon hee came back and set the coffee on the table next to us.  She began to rub Zelo's back.  He left my arms and went I to hers.  She jestered for me to come over as well.  I leaned against Zelo's back and she put one hand on my arm and kept the other on Zelo's back.  I noticed that the others were hugging and crying on each other as well.  Everybody loved Omoni.  

I didn't notice until later that Uncle had finished talking to the detective and wasn't in the waiting room anymore.  I knew he went to Omoni and that was fine with me.  I told Joon hee I would be right back.  She nodded and continued to rock Zelo.  I walked into Omoni's room and shut the door.

"It is probably a good thing for all of us that the police are now involved."  I said.

"I explained what was going on and Detective Lee said he'll look into it.  I hope he can stop this before someone else gets hurt, or worse."  Uncle replied.

"Me too Uncle.  Me too."

"There's only two more months until graduation.  I wouldn't be surprised if they killed us all off."

"No one's going to die, including Omoni."

"Yongguk.  When your Omoni gets better and if she agrees, I would like your permission to marry her."

"If she agrees, so will I."

"Thank you.  Now we all have something to look forward to."  

I just laughed to that.  We all needed something good to happen now.  The best thing would be when Omoni wakes up and is completely healthy.  No one was going to be hurt anymore.  If I had to hire body guards, then that was what I would do.  This was going to stop.

I went over to Omoni and kissed her on the forehead.  "I love you Omoni."  I walked out to the waiting room vowing that no more people that I loved were going to be hurt.