Chapter 11

Can you make me feel again?

Yongguk's POV

I pulled into the parking lot at school and opened Joon hee's door for her.  It was decided last night that there would be no more walking to school.  I would be driving us here from this day on.  Joon hee and I met up with the guys in front of the school.  We all flanked Joon hee and Eun hee like their body guards, which we were, as we made our way to class. 

The day went by without any problems.  Omoni was right about Mee yon no longer bothering Joon hee.  The first time we ran in to her she walked the opposite way.  She went out of her way to avoid all of us.  Good job Omoni.  After school we drove to the store to pick up a few things for Omoni.  While we were walking out I dropped a bag and a couple of cans rolled out and into the parking lot.  Before I could pick up the dropped bag, Joon hee ran after them.  She was bending down to pick up a can when I heard a car coming.  I looked up and could see that the car wasn't slowing down.  Dropping the bags, I rushed over and shoved her out of the way right before the car passed.  I tried to look at the plates but the car was turning away from us.  I kept my eye on the car and saw that it was coming back around towards us again.  I grabbed Joon hee's hand and ran back into the store.  I called Uncle and he told me to keep Joon hee there.  Fifteen minutes later Uncle pulled up in front of the store.  

"Joon hee, are you okay?"  Her Uncle asked as he looked her up and down looking for any injuries.

"Uncle, I'm fine.  Yongguk pushed me out of the way in time."  She explained.

"Thank God."  Uncle said.  He then grabbed me into a bear hug, thanking me multiple times.

"Uncle!"  Joon hee yelled to get his attention.  "Your crushing Yongguk."

"Sorry son.  I got carried away."

"I understand.  We should go.  Would you like to come over?"  Yongguk asked.

"I need to get Eun hee, then we'll be over."  Uncle walked us to the car.

When we got home I told Omoni what happened.  "They sure didn't waste any time.  I'm just glad your both okay."

"I called Uncle and he came.  I invited him and Eun hee over."

"That's fine.  Will the boys be over?"

"I'll call them."  After I called the guys they agreed to come over.  Eun hee called to let Omoni know that Uncle was bring over food and she didn't have to cook.  It was pay back for yesterday and today.  Omoni was fine with it.  It would give her a break from cooking.

The guys arrived at the same time as Uncle and Eun hee.  They helped carry the food in.  Joon hee and Eun hee set the table and laid out the food.  No one mentioned the incident that occurred earlier today.  I knew it would wait until after dinner.  After dinner was over Omoni set out chestnut cookies and served them with tea.  

"Uncle, you do know that they will more then likely use one of us to get Joon hee to give in."  I said getting right to the point.

"I know."  Uncle sighed.  He turned to face all of us.  "From now on, everybody is to stay together.  No one, for any reason, will go any where alone.  If someone comes up to you and threatens that they have one of us hostage, don't give in, just run.  It's what they want.  Guys, I want at least one of you with Joon hee and Eun hee at all times."

"Omoni.  I don't want you going to work by yourself."  I interrupted.

"Don't worry.  I'm going to be taking your Omoni to work from now on."  Uncle assured me.

"You are?"  This came from Omoni.

"Yes.  You have to be kept safe as well."   Uncle replied.

"Okay.  Oh, by the way, Yougguk, could you go back to the store to get more rice?  I didn't realize we were low.  If everyone's staying for dinner I need more."  Omoni asked.

"Sure."  I replied.

"I'm going with you."  Joon hee said.

"Me too."  Eun hee said inviting herself.

"If Eun hee is going, so am I."  Jongup said.  "Yongguk is going to look after Joon hee and I'll look after Eun hee."

"I can look after myself."  Eun hee sneered.  I saw a small smile form on Eun hee's face before she hid it.

"Tough.  Your stuck with me."  Jongup replied.

"Fine."  Eun hee exaggerated a sigh.  We all knew she really was happy Jongup was going.

"Well, let's go.  Hopefully nothing will happen this time."  I mumbled the last part as we walked out the door.

We arrived at the store and went to the rice isle.  We were debating on which brand to get when I noticed we were one person short.

"Where's Eun hee?"  I asked.  The others looked up.

"There she is."  Joon hee pointed to the end of the isle.

Jongup started walking toward her when I noticed someone approaching Eun hee from the opposite way.

"Eun hee!  Look out!"  I yelled.

​Just at that moment Jongup saw the man too.  We all ran towards Eun hee just as the man hit her in the face, and threw her unconscious body over his shoulder.   As he rounded the corner Jongup and I caught up to them,  Jongup grabbed Eun hee's legs and pulled as I punched the kidnapper in the face.  His grip loosened enough for Jongup to get Eun hee away from him.  The man realized his plan was foiled and took off out the store.  I ran off after him but I remembered Joon hee was now vulnerable.  I raced back to the others as Eun hee was waking up.

"How is she?"  I asked.

"I'm fine.  Just a little woozy.  I'll be fine, really."  Eun hee assured us.

"We need to get the rice and leave quickly."  I said.  

We were leaving the parking lot when I noticed, through the rearview mirror, that someone was possibly following us.  I turned at the next street we came to.  I needed to find out if my suspicions were true.  I decided to turn again, the opposite direction of the house.

"Where are you going?  What's up Yongguk?"  Jongup asked.

"I think we're being followed.  I need to make sure.  Hang on!"  I made a quick u-turn in the middle of the road.  I sped down an alley and onto a one way street.  I looked back and saw the same car following us.  !  I needed to lose this prick.  I raced into a parking garage.  I went up several floors to try to put enough distance between us.  I quickly parked in an empty spot and told every to duck.  I saw the man pass by several times.  When he passed by again, I slipped out of the door and crawled over to to cement barrier.  I peeked over and saw that he was coming back in our direction.  I ducked behind a parked car.  He passed several times before I was sure he was leaving.  I looked over the barrier again.  I saw him leave but I stayed where I was incase he came back around again.  I was right.  Five minutes later he passed by again.  He did this several more times.  I needed help.  I took my phone out of my pocket and dialed.

"Uncle.  We have a problem."  I explained everything to him, hung up and then proceeded to squat run back to the car.  I took a peek to see if the coast was clear before opening the car door.  Once inside Jongup popped up.  "Jongup, get down!  That person isn't gone yet."  I saw him duck back down.

"Sorry.  What's up?"

"The person following us keeps circling around the block.  I called Uncle.  He'll be here soon.  We just have to stay down until he gets here."

Fifteen minutes later I got a call.  I told Uncle where we were.  We all got out of the car, staying low, and got into Uncle's.  He had us stay down until he was sure we slipped past, unnoticed.  We were half way home when Uncle told us that it was all clear.

"These people just won't quit.  It's getting to where we can't go anywhere without some kind of attempt on our lives.  It's really starting to piss me off.  Don't tell Omoni I said that."  I said.

"Don't worry.   I understand."  Uncle assured me.

"Eun hee!  What happened to your face?"  Uncle yelled.

"I'll tell you when we get home.  That way I can tell everyone at once."  I replied.

Once we got home Omoni went nuts after seeing the bruise on Eun hee's cheek.  She ran into the kitchen and returned a couple minutes later with an ice pack.

"Here sweetie.  Hold this on your face."  Pressing the ice pack to her face.  "What in God's name is going on?"  I explained everything that happened.  

"This is just going to get worse before it gets better."  Uncle said.

"Was Eun hee's attempted kidnapping to get Joon hee to cooperate?"  Omoni asked.

"I don't think that's the case.  I believe she was mistaken for Joon hee."  Uncle explained.  "We need to be extra aware of everything and everyone around us. Like I said,  I fear that things will get much worse before it ends."  

I don't think that any one of us really knew how true Uncle's statement was going to be.  The lengths at which people will go for money.