Chapter 1

Can you make me feel again?

It was the last year of high school.  The year before you go to college and make your way into adulthood.   It was supposed  to be the best year of high school.  For Joon hee, it was just another day.  No happiness, no sadness, no anything.  This emotionless person was who students called, 'The human robot'.   She did her work.  She did what the teachers told her.  She talked to no one unless asked a question.  Nothing changed.  Same routine day after day.

Today her routine was about to change.  When Joon hee walked into English class she sat at her assigned seat, took out her book, notebook and pen.  She sat waiting for class to start.  She paid no mind to anyone who came in.  A couple of people bumped into her desk but she didn't move.

After class was over Joon hee got up to leave but was stopped by the teacher.  Mr. Choi informed Joon hee that she would be tutoring Bang Youngguk.  They would start after school for two hours a day, five days a week.  Joon hee just nodded her head, bowed and left the room.

Youngguk's POV

Youngguk was sitting in English class when he began thinking about what his coach told him this morning.  If he didn't pass English he would be benched.  Youngguk was the captain of the soccer team.  There was no way he could miss even one game.  The coach informed him that he talked to Mr. Choi and they both agreed to get someone to tutor him.  That her name was Joon hee.  She was the best student in the whole school.  That he had to be tutored five days a week, two hours a day and that he could come to practice after his tutor session was over.

"Yo Hyung!  Heard you'll be benched if you don't get your English grade up."  Hinchan said.  He was a player on my team and one of my best friends.

"Yeah.  I'm supposed to be tutored five days a week, two hours a day."  I informed him.

"Bummer.  Who's doing the tutoring?"

"Someone name Joon hee.  Supposed to be the best student in school."

"Dude!  Your going to be tutored by the human robot?"  Hinchan started laughing.

"What?  That's the human robots' name?  Great."

"Yeah.  It's going to be like getting tutored by a computer.  Sorry about your luck hyung."  Hinchan walked out of class making stiff moves like a robot.  

That's who she is?  Great.  Wonderful.  This was going to be as fun as watching paint dry.  Okay.  I can do this.  It's for the team.  Two hours won't kill me.  I could do this.  I kept telling myself this the rest of the day.  It's just two hours.  It's just two hours.  

The end of the day had arrived.  I really didn't want to do this.  I just wanted to play soccer.  I walked into Mr. Choi's class arriving with complete joy.(note the sarcasm)  I saw a girl sitting at one of the desks in the front row.  She looked like the typical nerd.  Her hair braided and glasses, you know, the nerdy look.  She stood up as soon as Mr. Choi did.  We bowed to him as he left.  

"Okay.  Let's get this over with."  I said as I turned to her.  Geez.  This girl did not move a muscle in her face.  I began to wonder if she really was a robot.

She bowed to me, walked over to one of the desks, picked it up and moved it next to the desk she had been sitting at earlier.  She sat and just stared.  Maybe she really was a robot.  What girl could pick up a desk?  I guess she was waiting for me to sit; so that's what I did.  She opened up the text book and turned to face me.

"Mr. Choi showed me where your having problems.  Let's start with nouns.  Nouns represents a person, place or thing.  I'll write some sentences and you underline the noun."  She said.

I was a bit blown away by her voice.  It was powerful.  Although it was soft, it had authority in it.  She apparently wasn't quite the robot people thought she was.  I heard emotion, not much but it was there none the less.  I shook my head and focused on what she was saying.  

By the end of the session, I was beginning to understand more then I did the last three years.  She was patient and when I got something wrong, she didn't get upset.  She just went over it again.  She kept doing this until I got it right.  When I did get it right I would get excited but she just sit there with a stone face.  It was actually starting to annoy me.  I couldn't wait for this to be over with.

When the session was finished, I bowed and thanked her then left the room as fast as I could.  I went straight to the soccer field.  I needed some excitement after the boring session I just went through.  As I started playing I completely forgot about Joon hee.

The next few days went the same as the first day.  She went over just about everything Mr. Choi did but I understood it better from Joon hee.  After a week of tutoring I was getting so bored that I decided that I was going to challenge myself.  I was going to find a way to break through that exterior of steel Joon hee has around her.  

Monday at lunch I looked around for Joon hee.  I didn't see her.  As I turned around to leave I spotted her, through the window, sitting on a bench outside.  I walked over to where she was sitting and sat next to her.  She didn't look up from her book.

"Hi.  I have an extra orange juice, would you like it?"  I asked.  She shook her head.  

"Go ahead and take it.  You wouldn't want it to go to waste would you?  Please?"  She looked at me, took the orange juice and put her face back into her book.  This wasn't going to be easy.  I loved a good challenge though.

"I wanted to thank you for tutoring me."  I said.

"Your welcome."  She replied in her usual monotone voice.

"You have taught me more in two weeks then I had learned in three years."  I said.  "It means a lot to me to be able to keep playing soccer.  You are a life saver."

"Don't exaggerate.  You did the work, I just showed you the way."   She reminded me.

"May I ask you a question?"

"Okay."

"Why do you act the way you do?"

"What way is that?"

"With no emotions at all."

"Lunch is about over, see you after school."

I watched her walk away.  I was becoming intrigued.  What happened to her to cause her to become emotionless.  No one was born that way.  Who hurt her so bad?  I really wanted to find out now more then ever.  I wondered if I found out where she lived, I could catch her unaware.  Maybe she was only this way at school.  

I had just sat down next to Joon hee, in the classroom, when my teammates and best hyungs came stampeding in.  I knew what was coming.  

"Hey." greeted Daehyun.  "You still coming to practice after your tutoring?"

"Yes."  I replied.  These guys were fishing and I wasn't going to bite.

"Were going to the karaoke bar this weekend.  You in?"  Youngjae asked.

"Sure.  Let me finish here and I'll meet you at the field."  I replied.

"Okay.  See ya hyung."  Youngjae replied.

I heard Zelo say that he thought Joon hee was cute as he walked out the door.  I looked at Joon hee.  She had absolutely no expression on her face.  I thought I saw something flash in her eyes but I chalked it up to wishful thinking on my part.

"I'm sorry about my hyungs."  I apologised.

"Let's begin."  She said.

After the session, I decided to shake things up a bit.  I just hope she won't get angry at me and not tutor me any more.

"Thanks for your help.  See you Monday."  I said.  Before I lost my nerve, I walked over to her and kissed her on the top of her head.  I walked out the door quickly in case she decided to throw something at me.  I glanced back and saw the shocked look on her face.  I was very happy.  I managed to put a crack in that shell.  I had to think about what else I could do to deepen that crack.  I decided not to share this with anyone.  I wanted this victory all to myself.

Joon hee's POV

I sat stone-cold still.  I had never had anyone kiss me on the head.  My parents never kissed me.  I grabbed my chest.  What was this feeling?  I felt warmth.  Why did I feel warm inside?  Was I having heartburn?  I read about that.  Or maybe gas.  Something must have not agreed with me.  That's it.  I had to remember what I ate today so I know not to eat it again.  I was going to be fine.  I straightened myself up, grabbed my book bag and left the classroom mentally checking off the things I ate today.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

.