Birthdays

People Like You

Yongguk has been thinking hard all day. No, this time it isn't about his music but about what he would get his girlfriend for her birthday. He's been putting it off for some time because he has been busy with BAP's album. However the realization hit him that he only has fourteen days left before Ji Eun's birthday. He thought it would be easy to pick out a gift yet his dongsaengs in the group reminded him that women tend to over analyze gifts and not simply take one meaning from it. 

"Isn't it too early in your relationship to give her jewelry?" Jongup voiced out. 

"You both are busy so I doubt you can do a surprise event on the day itself." Himchan pointed out. 

"Food is always a good choice." Daehyun suggested as his stomach thought for him. 

"Clothes would be good but I bet her closet is full of new ones already." Youngjae stated. 

"You can give her a song hyung but that would be too cheesy and probably expected coming from our line of work." Zelo tried to contribute as well.

"Wow big help guys." Yongguk sarcastically said. "So what now?" He groaned as he crossed out his list of ideas. 

"You should try to go to the mall while it's still not crowded. Do some window shopping and see what calls out to you. Maybe something that she can use at home or for relaxation." BAP's manager finally gave some advise that helped Yongguk. 

 

With his hoodie over his head, Yongguk strolled around the nearest mall to their studio. His eyes were stuck on the window displays as he considered the possible items to give. 

Yongguk finally entered one store which sold home decors and the likes. He passed by the diffusers and scented candles section and read the recommended items. 

'These can help her relax.' Yongguk thought after reading which scents do what for people.

"Excuse me, how much is this?" Yongguk approached the lady who had her back against him. She didn't answer and so he tapped her on the shoulder and asked again.

"Oh I don't work here." The woman turned around and had an annoyed tone in her voice, probably offended that he mistook her as a saleslady. The two finally looked each other in the eye and both expressed an incredulous look on their faces.

"Out of all the people I can run into, you just had to be the one." Rae scoffed and shook her head. 

Yongguk chuckled before a bright idea popped into his mind. "Hey, you can help me!"

"I don't work here!" Rae repeated what she said earlier.

"I know you don't, sorry about that. You see, I'm looking for a gift for JiEun. I was having a bit of a hard time but now that you're here, you're the perfect person who can tell me what she'd like." Yongguk didn't think twice in asking Rae for help. She is the best friend after all. 

"Hmm..okay? But let's not start here. Giving her those scented items for her home may give her the wrong idea that you think her place smells." 

"What?! Of course not! That's not my intention at all." Yongguk retorted, shocked that she would accuse him of that.

"Exactly so let's not try to give her the slightest misconception. Let me just pay for my stuff." Rae was unexpectedly cool about the idea of helping Yongguk. He thought that he would have to beg and convince her more.

Yongguk followed Rae to the cashier and saw that Rae had the same things he had in mind earlier. "So does that mean your house stinks?" Yongguk tactlessly asked since she had two scented candles and one diffuser in her basket.

"Hey, they are for a relaxing ambiance. As always, you and your assuming mind." She answered back defensively.  

 

"So what are the things that ties you two together?" Rae asked once they were out. They didn't have all the time in the world so need to narrow down their choices.

"Well we were mainly brought together by music." Yongguk didn't have to think hard about that question. 

"Hmmm...how about customized headphones?" Rae looked at Yongguk a bit excitedly once she thought of it. "It's not too cheesy but it still shows that you put a lot of thought on how you created that one of a kind gift for JiEun. She always has to listen to music, right? So even if she's at work she can smile knowing that she's wearing what you made for her." Rae's explanation made a lot of sense to Yongguk so he didn't have second thoughts about giving that kind of gift to JiEun.

With the help of their phones and the trusty internet, Rae and Yongguk found a music store that would cater to their needs. 

With Rae's approval, Yongguk chose the color combination of the headset. He also added Ji Eun's birthstone on the right side while the other side had his and her initials. Surprisingly the process would only take 30 minutes so they opted to wait at the gelato store next door. 

"This is a random question but when is your birthday?" Yongguk asked while he and Rae were in line. The gelato shop was packed so there was a long line but they didn't mind and fortunately no one spotted Yongguk. They needed something cold to cool them down as the heat of summer could already be felt. 

"You really want to know?" Rae looked at him with a challenging  expression on her face.

"Yeah. I’m curious since we have been talking about JiEun's birthday." 

"Why?"

"Is your birthday such a secret? You’re making it sound like a riddle. Why can’t you just say it easily?" It sounded like they were starting to bicker again.

"Well since you asked, my birthday was actually yesterday." Rae responded with a smile.

"Really? You mean your birthday is just two weeks away from Ji Eun’s?” Yongguk was surprised since Rae nor Ji Eun mentioned anything about her birth date.

“Yup.”

“Then why didn’t Ji Eun tell me?"

“Are you really going to question everything I say? Do you want to see my ID?” She raised one eyebrow at him.

“Relax.” Yongguk put his hands up as if he’s surrendering to her.

"Ji Eun is too busy. I didn't expect her to remember since it’s been a long time since we last celebrated our birthdays together. I already bought her gift though."

"Hey, don't feel bad. She is out of town now so maybe that's why it slipped her mind. Tell you what, I’ll substitute for her for the meantime." Yongguk proposed out of nowhere. 

"You can’t be serious?" Rae looked at Yongguk oddly. They are not that close to spend those kinds of special days together so why did he suddenly offer himself?

"Why not? You helped me so it’s only right that I treat you for two reasons, one is to thank you and then another to celebrate your birthday. Order anything you like, this would be my treat." Yongguk saw nothing wrong with it. He wouldn't have thought of the perfect gift for Ji Eun if it wasn't for Rae.

The two talked for almost an hour, just getting to know each other. It was an improvement that they didn't bicker during their whole conversation. They went back to the music store and Yongguk finally had his hands on the gift he carefully put together. Although he didn't assemble it personally, he was in charge of its aesthetics. Rae complimented how it looked and assured Yongguk that Ji Eun would love it.

 

Yongguk drove Rae home despite her protests. 

Yongguk stopped his car when the stoplight turned red. He then got something inside the gift bag from the music store.

"Here." Yongguk suddenly handed over a small black pouch to Rae.

"What is this?" Rae looked very confused at him.

"Belated happy birthday." He shot her a smile and urged her to open it. Yongguk secretly bought her gift when she was busy with her phone.

Rae suddenly felt shy but still opened the case and took out what was inside which was a pair of earbuds that looked like the body was made of wood.

"Oh wow, this look so cool. Thank you!" She was very amused with the design. 

"It matches your phone case." Yongguk pointed out before Rae even had the chance to say it since she realized it right away too. Rae was actually surprised he noticed that about her. "It's not a customized one but that's my favorite brand, it cancels out the noise outside and the quality is just superb." Yongguk continued to talk as he resumed driving, not knowing that he just stirred her heart.

Rae looked at Yongguk for a second before looking down on his gift that was on her lap. She wonders if what she's feeling is wrong. He was making her mind and heart go on overdrive. Is she possibly falling for him? Does she just miss having these kinds of feelings and attention from a guy?

'Yeah that’s probably just it. It's been a long time since I received anything from a guy. I miss the feeling of having a boyfriend and the image he’s putting up now is making me see him in that light. He's Ji Eun's boyfriend, I am definitely not developing feelings for him. Why does he have to show that he's such a great boyfriend material?' Rae pondered as she tried on the headphones as suggested by Yongguk.

"Is it comfortable?" Yongguk asked and she nodded in response. However, without any music playing the earbuds only made her hear the fast beating of her heart.

The two finally arrived in front of Rae's place. Yongguk parked his car and thanked Rae for coming with him as well as greeting her again a happy birthday.

"Thank you, especially for the treat and the gift." Rae got out of his car and was about to close the door when she opened it wide and to talk to Yongguk once more. "Hey, I know that the foundation isn't back on your good side but we will be having our outreach program next month. We have one in Cambodia and another in Mongolia. I don't know if you're still interested after everything but I do remember you told me to inform you about it before." Rae decided to share the information to Yongguk despite knowing that there's a high chance of him not going due to the controversy.

"I'll check our schedule and think about it." Yongguk answered back before wishing her good night.