Coincidence

People Like You

After rescheduling their recording session for a different day, Yongguk slept the night off after talking to his girlfriend. She always eased his tensions, although sometimes she’s the cause of them as well. He wanted to bury yesterdays’ happenings at the back of his mind and just focus on their music.

He apologized to his group mates for showing that kind of image in front of them before moving on to talk about their concert.

“How about Rae? Are you also apologizing to her?” Himchan asked.

“Himchan please, don’t bring her up again.” Just hearing her name made Yongguk feel like it would spark a headache.

“Hyung should say sorry to her too.” Jongup mumbled. Yes, isn’t it obvious that they are all on her side.

“Are you all going to continue talk about her or are we going to concentrate on our tour or what?? Let’s prioritize, shall we?” Yongguk looked at everyone with an exasperated expression. Here he is trying not to be reminded of the incident yet the guys keep on pressing his buttons.

 

Later that day, curious Daehyun and Youngjae did some research on Rae and let the others join in. After doing some research done by the boys, they learned that she earned has the nickname ‘Angel’ as she started out working in NGO’s since her junior year in college.

“Here’s a nice motto from Rae noona, ‘Always work hard without forgetting your initial intentions’.” Daehyun pointed out just in time for Yongguk overhear their latest findings. The boys didn’t hide the fact that they were talking about Rae. 

“It seems like you both have a lot of things in common hyung.” Youngjae added.

“Good role models.” Zelo chirped in.

“You can’t always believe what you read.” Yongguk dismisses how they try to change his image of her.

“Just like how you shouldn’t always let your pride overrule your rational thinking.” Someone else mumbled behind the leader’s back but he didn’t bother to see who it was. He didn’t want to blow things out of proportion again.

 

 

Rae and everyone else in the office have been extending their work hours, doing over time in dealing with so many things outside their initial scope of work. She was surviving on three to five hours of sleep every day. Even on the weekends, she busied herself with trying to narrow down where the VP could be hiding and where he could have spent the money he stole. It was like she was trying to take the case in her own hands.

Rae took it upon herself to keep checking in on the lawyers and investigators, asking for updates almost on a daily basis.

“Let them do their jobs Rae. There’s enough pressure on everyone.” Her boss patted her back softly after overhearing her brief conversation on the phone. “Come talk with me for a bit.” He led the younger girl to the floor’s pantry room so they can talk in private.

“Maybe you should take a break.” Mr. Kim spoke once he started pouring hot water in the coffee cup.

“It’s okay, I’m not hungry nor sleepy Sir.” Rae thought that Mr. Kim was referring to her taking lunch or a coffee break.

“What I mean is…maybe you should take a few days or even a week off.” Mr. Kim spoke seriously while he looked at her with her concern.

“But, uhm, there’s still so much work to be done…” Rae stuttered, taken aback with his sudden suggestion.

“I’ll take over. Your absence won’t hurt the company or make things any worse than they already are. I think you need the time to clear your head. Take a short vacation, pamper yourself or something.”

“But sir –” Rae attempted to dissuade Mr. Kim but he held his hand up to halt her from convincing him otherwise.

“I’m not only talking as your boss, but as a caring uncle as well. You’re one of the first few people who helped build this organization. You were here since our humble beginnings, back when we were just composed of people with genuine hearts wanting to donate. I’ve come to see different sides of you thus, I know how this situation is affecting you. I don’t want you to be broken by this.” He looked after her like a relative would.

“That’s very kind of you but I just can’t drop everything. That would give me more time to just sulk, regret and worry.” She honestly voiced out. She needed to work double time to keep her mind pre-occupied and to still feel like she’s doing something good, to make a difference.

“Oh my little hard-worker, I think you’re the only person who’ll flat out reject a much needed vacation.” Mr. Kim laughed a bit before coming up with an idea so they can compromise. “Tell you what, I’ll assign work for you to do from home. New letters and photos just came in from the children as well as from our humanitarian aid organization overseas. Why don’t you scan and organize them so you can send them out as soon as you can. I think the sponsors would love to read that their money didn’t just disappear in thin air. It would be a much needed update for them, like breathing fresh air.”

“Okay. I’ll get right on to it.” Rae conceded, somewhat relieved with the new task at hand.

“The files are in the red box in my office.”

“Thank you.” Rae gently bowed and excused herself to fetch the items but Mr. Kim stopped her.

“You can start on them tomorrow, as of now I’m giving you the day off. I will send it to your apartment first thing tomorrow morning. Rae-ah, you’re still too young to let these kinds of things get to you, don’t let this taint your heart. They’ll track him down and we’ll continue helping. We’ll fix this, okay? Don’t lose hope. Don’t let another person’s selfish motives and greed corrupt your pure intentions.” Mr. Kim talked to her sincerely, knowing just how much this issue is stirring her heart. Rae is one of those people with a strong desire to help and it would be upsetting if this makes her waver and question what she’s been working for.

 

After shedding a few tears during their short heart-to-heart talk, Rae still had no choice but to leave the office for the meantime.

Rae went home, took a bubble bath and all that to soothe her. She tried to rest but no matter how comfy her bed is, Rae still couldn’t shut her brain off. After tossing and turning for minutes, Rae finally got up and decided to just head out hoping that would help her. She checked the internet on where she could possibly go to distract herself. A newly renovated music lounge bar in Hongdae caught her attention. Rae quickly messaged her close friends, who she hasn’t been able to see for quite some time and asked if they were free.

 

Rae was teased by her friends for finally showing herself since has been ‘missing in action’ during their group’s past few meet ups. 

For the first time in a long time, Rae indulged herself. Maybe this is what she needed to reboot her system, a different scene to release that heavy feeling in her, and to get her back on track.

The music was great but the company was better.  Rae avoided talking about the current situation in her workplace and fortunately her friends understood. Despite everything, Rae still managed to exchange some good old stories that made everyone laugh and smile.

After a few drinks Rae excused herself to go to the bathroom.

“Oh sorry.” A girl apologized to Rae after they bumped into each other.

“JiEun?” Rae wasn’t sure if this familiar face was her best friend from the past but she just had to ask.

“Oh my gosh! Rae?! What a coincidence, long time no see!” JiEun excitedly hugged Rae who she hasn’t seen for ages. The two women were actually best friends in elementary up until junior high school. JiEun’s family moved to another country and they lost touch since then. Back then e-mail wasn’t that popular and you know how teens can get, they were fickle minded with the email addresses they came up with.

“What are you doing here?” Rae didn’t even know that Ji Eun’s family came back to Korea.

“I’m scouting the indie artists performing. I work at a music label now.” JiEun informed her.

“Wow that’s great. You always had passion for music.” Rae was proud that her friend was able to follow her dreams.

“How about you?” JiEun curiously asked back.  

“I work at an advocacy organization.”

“I just knew you’d land yourself in a charity-related job. That’s been your calling since we were young.  There is hope after all, there should be more people like you. I mean I’ve seen the news about that scandal with that one charity agency and ugh, that’s just so infuriating.  Anyway, I hope you won’t take it the wrong way but I’m actually ‘working’ now so I can’t chat too long. Let’s exchange numbers, and this time let’s keep in touch, okay?” From the way they were talking to each other, it seems like the bond is still there. No awkwardness, they were able to pick up where they last left off…although Ji Eun wasn’t aware that it was Rae’s company that she brought up.

Rae made sure to input the right digits, remembering how Yongguk brought up her mistake the last time.

“Let’s catch up soon, okay? I’m really glad I bumped into you.” Ji Eun and Rae hugged each other one last time before they went separate ways. 

 

“Hey, was there a long line in the ladies room?” Yongguk instantly wrapped his arm around his girlfriend’s shoulder as soon as she slid beside him. A very bold move for an idol but then again he was at a place where he knew no one would spill his secrets. This music lounge was one of the places that let him enjoyed his passion for music so he’s no stranger to them and vice versa.

Ji Eun shook her head before sharing to her boyfriend. “I bumped into my childhood friend, such a small world right? We just talk for a bit. I hope to hang out with her as soon my schedule permits.”

They were in their ‘sweet’ couple mode but Yongguk gave Ji Eun her space when the artists started performing so she could do her duties.

 


Would love to hear your feedback. 

DBSK/TVXQ/HoMin fans! 

I just started on a new story featuring Changmin X O.C X Yunho. Hope you can show it some love ;)

To all those who observed the holy week/holidays, hope you were able to have a good one. Hope everyone has a nice weekend.

In other news, my heart really goes out to the Sewol victims (& their families). Really heart-wrenching 3