The only way

People Like You

“Yongguk, what are you doing?!” She questioned him in a hush tone. She was trailing behind him as he continued to pull her with him until they were in a more secluded area. Yongguk removed his hold on her when he knew that he got her cornered.

“You’ve been avoiding me.” His raspy voice and serious look could intimidate anyone.

“Uhm…No.” Lies. Rae’s heart was beating way too fast for her liking but she was doing her best to play it cool. “That wouldn’t have been nice for me to treat a sponsor that way. I’m sorry if that’s the impression you got.” She was trying to emphasis on their professional relationship.

Yongguk clicked his tongue, he knows he has to face this head on. “About what happened-”

“What happened?” She cut him off and feigned innocence. That’s the only way. To pretend that nothing ever happened.

For a second there he questioned himself. He did not just imagine things, right?

“See, I can act well. Don’t worry. I won’t say anything. It was a mistake that just needs to be forgotten.”

The way she spoke so bluntly and cold made Yongguk think twice and honestly...it stung. However, shouldn’t he be relieved that she’s ready to look past the situation?

“Now that’s settled…” Rae stepped towards to the side but Yongguk moved and blocked her intended way out with his arm. Why? Yongguk didn’t know too. Recently, Yongguk has been doing a lot of that, of doing things that he questions afterwards.

Rae was surprised but decided she needed to step things up to make Yongguk back off. “Yongguk do you not realize that you cheated on Ji Eun with me?!”

“I know I kissed you. I don’t know why I did but it was just for a few seconds.” Rae did not expect for him to answer that way.

“Can you hear yourself?! Is this not the first time you cheated on her?”

“Hey I have always been faithful to her!” He defended himself. His loyalty was never doubted…until now.

“Then keep it that way. I do not want to be part of anything so please don’t make things complicated. I don’t want this to happen again” Rae held a strong gaze and ended with a strong tone of voice and pushed Yongguk away so she could escape from him.

‘Don’t make things complicated? How can I when it already is?’

‘Rae you have to be stronger than this. The past will not repeat itself.’ She chanted over and over in her mind.

 

 

- The Next Day -

“We thank you once again for joining us on this trip. We hope you all had an enjoyable and enriching experience. Let’s all have a good and relaxing flight home.” Rae said over the microphone as the charter bus stopped in front of the airport.

 

“Hey Yongguk, can you do me a favor?” Sean asked his seatmate in the plane.

“Sure hyungnim, what is it?”

“Rae, would you mind if I switch places with whoever is sitting next to my husband?” Hye-Young asked the girl sitting in the window seat.

“Aww…that’s sweet. Of course I don’t mind.” Rae smiled at her and could only be envious of the marriage that they have.

“Thanks. I’m just waiting for the signal, he’s asking right now too. By the way, we’re talking about letting the kids join the trip when they’re old enough.”

“Wow that would be great! I look forward to that day unnie.” Rae replied before Sean stood up and motioned for his wife to come over.

“You’ve got to be kidding me.” Rae muttered under her breath when she saw who walked up to the empty aisle seat, the one right next to her.

Yongguk acted like it wasn’t a big deal even after he saw it was Rae who he would be sitting with for the next few hours. He didn’t even make eye contact with her and just sat on the seat after putting his bag up.

Rae put the provided headphones on to avoid having to interact with Yongguk. Due to the exhaustion, Rae dozed off just half an hour after take-off.

Yongguk noticed from the corner of his eyes that Rae’s head was slightly bopping to the side. He looked at her and just like he guessed, she was fast asleep. He stared at her, studied her features and made up his mind.

‘I’ll only be like this while this trip lasts. After this, when we land in Korea, I won't care too much. Just for now, just this once…and I'll get it out of my system, I’ll get you out of my mind and be back to my old self.’ Yongguk told himself as he softly put his hand on the other side of Rae’s head to guide her head to rest towards his shoulder. Rae’s body naturally reacted to the gentle touch by scooting closer to where, or rather, who she could lay her head upon.

‘I guess this could have been us if I got your number right.’ Yongguk eventually fell asleep with that thought in mind. Hours passed and they stayed in the same position, one would think that they’re a sweet couple.

Rae woke up upon the announcement of the captain that they’re about to land. She stretched her arms in front of her and that’s when she realized that her head was not upright. She turned and saw that she was too close, well actually hear head was still touching Yongguk’s body. Rae immediately sat straight up and looked elsewhere, fortunately Yongguk hasn’t woken up yet so he didn’t see the expression of panic that Rae showed.

‘Seriously Rae? Did you just sleep on him? Does he know?!’ She was now feeling embarrassed. In her defense, she was unconscious and it was ‘accidental’.

Yongguk started to stretch his neck and yawned. He felt Rae move away from him and at that point he realized that the moment is over. It’s back to reality.

 

Rae got a text message as soon as her local carrier recognized her phone in Korea.

‘We’ve got some good news about the case. We have a strong lead on where he is.’

The message made Rae mouth the word ‘Yes!’ as soon as it sunk in.

Although the former VP hasn’t been caught yet, the case was progressing more so compared to the past months.

Rae has been less worried about it and left it in the hands of those who were obviously capable in handling the case without her constant nagging. Although the man who stalked and threatened her hasn’t been discovered as well, it seems like things are slowly going back to normal…or so everyone hopes.

“Rae, you have delivery.” Rae heard one of her colleagues call out to her. She stood up from her table and walked towards the delivery man holding a bouquet of flowers.

“For me?” Rae asked, confused as to who would send her such thing.

“Yes, please sign with your name on the form below. No need to write the date.” The man instructed her. Rae gave the pen back when the delivery guy dropped a white envelope.

“Sorry for my clumsiness Miss, I have a bad back can you please get it for me?”

“Oh sure.” Rae gave the envelope back with a small smile and in exchange the guy gave her the flowers.

‘This can’t be from him, can it?’ The name that first popped into her head was Yongguk’s but shook it off. ‘He wouldn’t do it.’

Finally she spotted the small note taped on the bottom. ‘Welcome back. We should meet soon.’

‘Can it be Ji Eun? She used to send me flowers during my birthday but that day has been far gone. Yongnam? No, we’re not that close either. We just had one date and I do feel something is up between him and…no Rae, stop jumping into conclusions!’ Rae knew she wouldn’t be able to identify who the sender was until she really asked.

The fact that Yongguk’s name appeared in her mind made Rae realize that she can’t lie to herself, the kiss still haunts her. It’s been weeks but somehow she remembers it vividly. What’s worse is she gets flashbacks of it especially when Ji Eun contacts her. Is it guilt? Is it also wrong that she somehow wonders if Yongguk thinks of it sometime as well?

Rae just escaped a tough situation only to get into a new mind-boggling one.

“I think I need to confess…or do I need to?”