Natural

People Like You

 

“Good morning Yongguk. Hope I didn’t wake you up.” Rae greeted Yongguk as soon as he opened the door of his room.

“It’s okay Rae. I was already up. What are you doing here? Am I late for something?” Yongguk asked as he tried to recall what was in the itinerary, worried that he missed something.

“No, I just wanted to surprise you with something…or rather some people.” She couldn’t contain the smile on her face. She looked to her side and held her hand out. Yongguk saw a hand holding on to Rae’s and then suddenly two kids appeared in front of him

“I’d love you to personally meet Sok and Devi.” Rae saw what she wished to see in Yongguk’s expression in this situation.

Yongguk couldn’t believe he was seeing the two kids he has been helping out. They looked all grown up compared to the last photos he was sent. He’s been sending them to school for three years now. The children greeted him in both their native language as well as in Korean.  His heart melted when they approached to hug him.

Rae blinked away her tears of joy, moved with how the three initially interacted.

“I hate to break the happy moment but maybe you’d like to have breakfast together along with Khun, the interpreter.” Yongguk was so excited he almost forgot the key to his room.

Yongguk and the kids talked while eating, they asked Yongguk to sing and rap for them, which amused them greatly, while Yongguk asked all he could about to get to know about them. They only wrote to each other around 3 – 4 times a year so both parties definitely took advantage of the blessing presented to them. They took a lot of photos too.

“Did you hear Devi call me hyung?” Yongguk boasted proudly. “Thank you so much for doing this Rae. I didn’t think I’d ever meet them.” Yongguk was genuinely grateful.

“I didn’t do anything that grand Yongguk, it’s all because of your kind heart.”

“I hope you don’t mind me asking, but how’s Chann?” Yongguk curiously asked about the other boy he’s been helping out, the one who just graduated.

“I tried to contact him but his parents declined. I don’t know why. Sorry.”

“Hey, no need to apologize. I was just wondering, is it possible for us to visit him instead? Does he live near?”

And so with that, Rae used the power her position holds to grant Yongguk’s request.

 

 

“Hi, I’m Rae of Care2 foundation.” Rae introduced herself and then Khun spoke more for them.

“I told you my son is not allowed to go out. Now leave.” Chann’s mom showed no interest in them.

“Is he sick or something? I’m Bang Yongguk, his sponsor.” Yongguk spoke in English and waited for Khun to translate.

“I’ve heard his name before from Chann.” She eyed him from head to toe. “Look, Stop giving him or any other of the people here false hope. He graduated from grade school, yes with your help, but really, how far can he go? We all know how this will all play out in a few years. They’ll be forgotten, and then they’ll grow up just like us.” She was aloof earlier, yet now she’s showing some kind of resentment towards the,.

Khun hesitated but he knew he needed to tell Rae and Yongguk what she said, word for word.

Rae could feel her heart breaking but still spoke up, hoping to change her mind. “Things are changing. Please don’t think that way. That is why we are here to help.”

Chann’s mother scoffed before answering back. “Do you know how many times I’ve heard that before?”

Yongguk and Rae saw a boy, presumably Chann, peek out from the corner of the window from their small house. He quickly hid himself when the two made eye contact with him.

“Please, can’t we just see him for a few minutes? I know you have a hard time believing us but we are trying hard to change their lives, at least to make it better bit by bit. Don’t take away their hopes and dreams. He needs to be inspired and motivated by you.” Even though Yongguk was taken aback, he did not show it.

“The kids are so optimistic and are seeing all the positive things right now but save them the heartbreak when they realize they’ll still be stuck here years from now.”

Rae tried to hold in the tears threatening to come out brought by the overwhelming emotion the woman’s words. Suddenly, Chann walked outside their house and towards them.

“Chann, go back inside!” His mom scolded him right away.

“They are good people Mae.” The young boy tried to defend their good intentions. He believed in Yongguk, not only the financial assistance but his letters helped him get through his studies and be the first in their family to get a diploma. “Annyong Haseyo” He mumbled with a bow. One of the volunteers from the foundation taught him that when he asked how he could greet his ‘older brother’.

“Hi Chann. I wasn’t able to write back but I’m very proud of you. I brought you books, some clothes and some food from Korea for your family.” Yongguk handed his gifts to him. Chann smiled so big it consumed half of his face.

“I drew you something.” Chann ran back to the house and got the notebook that he carefully has been drawing on for the past month.

The mom intervened and ordered Chann to go back inside and start cooking rice.

“Thank you Yongguk hyung. Thank you.” Chann also looked at Rae in the eyes the second time before going back inside.

“Tell me, how long before you stop with the generous act? Where will you be when he has to exchange writing on notebooks to doing dirty handy work?” She scoffed once more.

“I’m not giving up on him and I know she won’t either. So please just accept out help. Remember our names because we will continue to be in Chann’s life.” Yongguk boldly stated. His eyes held so much determination and his words heavy with sincerity.

 

On the other hand, Rae was shaken up by the mother’s words. She kept quiet throughout the ride back to the site. She gazed nowhere in particular as she was deep in thought.

Rae snapped out of blank daze when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

“Hey, we’re back.” Yongguk told her in a soft manner. She didn’t even notice that the vehicle stopped and it was only Yongguk and her remaining inside.

“Oh sorry.” Rae tried to force a smile as she made her way out. Yongguk followed her and grasped her wrist, stopping her from walking any further. Rae turned around and looked at the concerned man.

“I know what happened earlier is affecting you but don’t let it get to you Rae.”

“I’m fine.” She lied.

“No, you’re not. Just let it out. Tell me what’s on your mind so I can tell you what you’re thinking is wrong.”

Rae took a deep breath before sighing. “What if she’s right? What if one day he wakes up and he realizes that nothing is changing in his life.” Rae broke down, unable to contain her feelings. What she has been doing truly means a lot to her. It’s not just a simple volunteer job to make her feel better about herself it is about servicing and bringing help to those who need it. Is her way of giving back, of lending a hand, creating false hope?

“Stop overthinking. You’re making a difference in their community, not only you and I know that but the kids do too.” Yongguk rebuked, the tone of his voice came out stronger than intended. He did not want her to belittle everything they have been working hard for.

Rae kept her head down as the tears kept coming out. She was feeling so devastated and weak. The words spoken earlier was breaking her apart.

“Weren’t you the one who proved to me that the money has been going to the right places? The one who showed evidence that the kids were benefiting from the spare change of the wealthy? You know better than anyone. Kids who couldn’t eat a full meal before can now eat two to three times a day. The children who had nothing are now getting rich with knowledge, then they can get better opportunities to turn their lives.”

“Then why…” Rae’s attempt to speak couldn’t even compete with her cries.

Yongguk didn’t think twice and wrapped his arms around her in a second. He had her in a tight embrace, his hands gently rubbing her back as he tried to calm her down.

“Breathe deeply. Stop doubting what you’ve been doing.” Rae didn’t push him away as she needed someone to soothe her, to let her feel that it’s going to be alright.

Minutes passed and Rae was no longer weeping, just sniffling from time to tim.e Yongguk brushed his lips against her temple. He felt relieved that Rae was starting to relax.

He slowly pulled away and looked at Rae. “Now you wouldn’t want the others, especially the kids, see you in this state, right?”

“No. I don’t think they’d believe me if I said I just got dust in my eyes.”

“If you used that excuse then all of the sand in Angkor Wat must have travelled into your eyes. What would happen to their greatest tourist attraction?” Yongguk’s lame joke unbelievable worked as it drew a small chuckle from the fragile girl in front of him.

Yongguk unconsciously brought his hands up and wiped away the remaining tears that stained her face. Looking at her this close made Yongguk see the beauty she posses’, inside and out.  He realized that he was a fool to have been suspicious of her.

The two locked eyes and before Yongguk could even think rationally he made a move that would either be remarkable or regrettable.

Yongguk’s hands held her head still as he pressed his lips against Rae’s…doing what he thought felt natural.


 

 

And this signals that something will be brewing soon.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter.