Telling the best friend the truth

People Like You

One re-ignited my heart, the other keeps it pumping and racing. 

The girl appearing in my dreams is not the one I’m holding hands with.

Is it cheating that I go back to sleep to continue that dream?

Why can’t I get you out of my head even when my girl is smiling right at me, saying come and get me.

I don’t even know what I want to do, but I know I need to forget about you. 

I should make it all about her, less about you. 

 

“Oohhh, this is some pretty cool lyrics. Is this for a new song babe?” Ji Eun asked Yongguk who was busy dressing up. 

“Which is?” Yongguk finally turned around to see what she was referring to. His eyes slightly widened in surprise when he saw that she was holding up the piece of paper that he wrote his latest feelings in. He almost panicked but just went along and did say that it’s for the rap part for their future song.  

Little did Yongguk know that Ji Eun felt anxious after reading his lyrics. Why? Was it because she was suspicious of his inspiration for the song? No. It’s because she could relate to it. In fact, it’s very much similar to her current situation. It kind of worried her that maybe, just maybe he wrote that to let her know that he knows? Could it be…? No, Yongguk’s more straight-forward than that, right? 

‘Are you free? I need to confide in you with something.’ Ji Eun texted Rae.

 

“Rae, I have a really big secret and I know you’re the only one I can tell it to.” Ji Eun didn’t beat around the bush as soon as Rae opened the door for her. “You see…don’t get offended okay?”

“Why? What’s wrong?” Rae couldn’t guess what made Ji Eun so tense.

“I was the one who set you up with Yongnam, right?”

“Yeah?” She still didn’t get where this talk was going to.

“Well…” Ji Eun took a deep breath before revealing what she’s been hiding. “Honestly, we have a deeper relationship than just being close friends. I knew him and liked him before I met Yongguk but he gave me mixed signals. Yongguk courted me and knowing that Yongnam didn’t stop him, I thought maybe he didn’t feel the same. I love Yongguk, I do. He’s a great man.” She trailed off, thinking carefully on how to put her feelings into words.

“But you love Yongnam more?” Rae finally filled in the blanks.

“No...Yes? I don’t know!” Ji Eun answered back, her body language showing frustration as she slumped down on the couch. “Yongnam and I...we’ve been kinda seeing each other more and I don’t know if it’s considered cheating. We haven’t done anything ‘to that extent’, if you know what I mean, but we don’t always tell Yongguk all the times that we do meet up. I know for a fact that the moment Yongnam and I started tip-toeing around Yongguk that it wasn’t considered just as a ‘casual’ hangout.”

“If you liked him that much then why did you set us up for a blind date?”

“I thought that if I see him interested with someone else and moving on then I’ll be able to be happy for him and move on as well. I thought that I would be able to focus more on my relationship with Yongguk but...we still have feelings for each other. I don’t know what to do.” Ji Eun looked at Rae as if she was begging her for the answer to her questions. 

“I think you already know what you need and want to do Ji Eun. I also know that it’s not easy but you have to do what’s right or else you might just break three hearts, including yours.” Rae sympathized with Ji Eun but sugar-coating things won’t do anyone good. Rae thought that it was clear that Yongnam probably weighs more in her heart, she wouldn’t risk her relationship if he didn’t.  She may be honest, but she’s not that frank so she couldn't say that out loud.. 

“I know at the same time I don’t” Ji Eun sighed, very confused with where the two men stood in her life. “Okay, time to try to distract me. You remember our tradition before about sharing secrets?” Ji Eun slightly changed the topic.

“What?” 

“I say something and you share something big as well for me to get my mind off my problems. I’m sure you have something you need to get off your chest. Be honest with me, okay?” 

"Do I really have to? Can’t we just talk more about you’re problem so we can come up with a solid answer so you don’t have to worry about it?” Rae tried to escape from it. She was having an internal conflict.

“I’ll feel better if I feel that you also trust me with a secret.” 

‘Since Ji Eun just confessed that she likes Yongnam more, maybe she won’t get mad if I tell her? I just really need to let it out too. It’s killing me.’

“Uhm...I like Yongguk.” Rae finally confessed after taking a deep breath.

Her statement was taken lightly by Ji Eun who only chuckled after hearing her side. “Well…that’s good, right? My best friend approves of my boyfriend. Is this your way of telling me that you’re rooting for Yongguk instead of Yongnam? Wait...do you like Yongnam?”

“No, I don’t like Yongnam in that sense.”

“Are you sure? Because you told me that you didn’t but I mean, did you want to give him another shot and go on another date?”

“No, what I’m trying to say is-”

“Because if it is then wow. You said you weren’t that interested in him...” At this point Ji Eun started blabbering. 

Rae could easily lie out of this but she was never that kind of person. She already started her confession so she should just go through with it...if only her friend would let her speak. 

“Ji Eun! I developed feelings for Yongguk more than I should have, okay?! Not Yongnam.”

“Wait...what?” Ji Eun stopped her rambling and processed Rae’s words. Now that just hit her hard. “Tell me this is just a late April fools day prank.”

“You asked. I couldn’t lie. Look Ji Eun, I’m telling you this because I don’t have any plans of doing anything about what I feel. I just needed to tell you, aright?”

“So you’re guilt tripping me, is that it?” Ji Eun’s tone and look changed dramatically.

“Of course not! Where did you get that? “

“I tell you that I have feelings for both of them so you think you’re doing me a favor by letting me know that you like my boyfriend. He still is my boyfriend, you do realize that.” Ji Eun was becoming more possessive with Yongguk by the second, when just minutes ago she wasn’t even sure if she really wanted him to be hers.

“Yes ji eun. I told you, I am not and won’t be acting on my feelings. That’s the reason why I told you this in the first place. Can’t you believe me?” 

“Did anything happen between the two of you in Cambodia?” Ji Eun ignored Rae’s questions as she narrowed her eyes at Rae. She was now suspicious as why she ‘suddenly’ have grown romantic feelings for her boyfriend.

“Nothing happened. Don’t you trust Yongguk? Or me for that matter?”

“So you tried seducing him there. You must have been so happy he went alone, huh? Were you playing pretend girlfriend? Daydreaming, fantasizing -” Ji Eun scoffed when Rae interrupted her. 

“Oh My God Ji Eun! I told you this because I wanted to be honest. I didn’t do anything nor does Yongguk know anything about how I feel. Please, can we drop this topic now and just move on.”

“I cant believe this is happening again.” Ji Eun paced around Rae’s place, getting more pissed off upon remembering the past.

“What do you mean again?” Rae asked genuinely confused.

“Don’t play dumb Rae. You know what I’m referring to, this is just like high school again.” 

“Oh Come on Ji Eun. I can’t believe you’re bringing that up. That was -” Rae wasn’t even able to defend herself because Ji Eun cut her.

“No Rae! No matter what you say, I will not let you win this time.”

 


 

Hope you liked the chapter. Did you like the lyrics I wrote in the beginning?haha I’ve always had a thing for writing and it all started with lyrics. 

Do you want to read on what Ji Eun is referring to? ;)