Hoping for change

People Like You

Rae quickly got to work upon receiving the box promised by her boss. It was heavy and overflowing. It was filled with an assortment of mail but she didn't mind it all.

Rae sorted the letters and read some of them. She couldn’t help but shed a few tears after being moved by the sincere words. Reading the letters just strengthened the drive in her. It reminded her of her purpose, on why she chose this path, to do what she does for these people who are surviving with minimum goods yet are happy and appreciative with even the tiniest of extra help they can get. This reignited her spirit to correct another person’s mistake and do what she does best.

 

 

After compiling the handwritten messages, photos and other letter updates from the organization, Rae went to the post office to mail the envelopes to those who lived out of town. While the others that were located in places that she can access by train would receive their mails personally as Rae would go out of her way just to try to appease them. She planned out her route and hoped that these messages would reach their rightful owners. Rae wanted to end her day with a mission...a mission to prove Bang Yongguk that he is wrong, phase one. Don't get her wrong though, she's not set out on visiting Yongguk to appease him, oh no, this is to show him that he judged the wrong person.

 

Yongguk was alone in the dorm with his girlfriend when the doorbell rang. He left Ji Eun on the couch to attend to whoever was outside their place.

“What are you doing here?” Yongguk asked as soon as he saw Rae standing in front of him. She was the last person he expected.

Rae handed over a manila envelope before answering his question. "The remnants of your cash donation is back on its way to your bank account. There is a document inside this showing how your money was used and the assumed percentage that could have been stolen by the VP. Everything that the lawyers and accountants have discovered so far has been explained there to.”

“How sure am I that these are all true? I don’t think a few fancy notes would be able to persuade me to believe everything written here. I don’t need this.” Yongguk pushed the envelope back to Rae but she pushed it back against his chest, with a little bit more force than needed.

“Not only that, photos and letters from the kids you’ve been sponsoring are inside there as well. Now if your cold heart and stubborn head still thinks that those are all fake then I think you should really see a professional. Let them prove it to you that it’s not photoshopped or whatever you’re thinking of now. Thank you for your generosity.” She ended it with saying their gratitude  but she looked aloof all throughout.
“Wow, sounds so genuine.” Yongguk sarcastically replied. This time he didn’t try to push the mail away, he wanted to see the updates about the children. 
“Babe, what’s taking you so long?” Ji Eun popped up from behind Yongguk and her eyes widened.

“Rae?! What are you doing here?”

“Uhm…I just delivered something.” Rae was also shocked upon seeing Ji Eun, then she realized that she called Yongguk with a term of endearment.

“You two know each other?”  Yongguk asked with a confused expression. How were the two associated?

“She’s the friend I was telling you about.” Ji Eun tried to clear her boyfriend’s lack of understanding. She then saw the label on the envelope that Yongguk was holding. “Oh My God! You're the girl he blabbed about from the charity organization?!” Ji Eun just had to ask to confirm her suspicions. 

“I bet they’re all negative. I’m guessing you two are together?” Rae couldn’t say much, thinking that her old best friend is taking Yongguk’s side after hearing everything he had to say. It hasn’t been a week since they got reconnected yet Ji Eun’s image of her probably changed dramatically.

“I can’t believe it.” Ji Eun shook her head before slightly hitting Yongguk on his back. “Apologize right now.”
“What?!” Yongguk’s jaw dropped and Rae mirrored his surprised expression.
“I can't believe you thought that way about her. She's no schemer. I believe that she’s innocent from all the things you were accusing her off.” She scolded him, defending her former best friend. “The criminal isn't her. Now I’d like to believe that one bad apple doesn’t necessarily spoil the whole bunch. If you only knew her from before the scandal then you wouldn’t mean any of those harsh things you mentioned.”

Well Yongguk did meet Rae before everything went bad and he knows his girlfriend is right, that he wouldn’t even think she’d be capable of being even half of the things he accused her off…but of course he won’t say that out loud for now.

Yongguk’s silence and hesitant gaze was met with Ji Eun’s glare.

“You know what, I’m going to cut our date short and instead I’ll spend time with my bestie.” Ji Eun suddenly announced.

“Come on, you can’t be serious. I forced everyone to go out today so we can have some peace and quality time.” Yongguk muttered under his breath so that Rae wouldn’t understand him. She wouldn’t be able to decipher his words anyway because she was also deep in thought, trying to connect the dots on what just happened.

“Well that’s great because you can have your own alone time to reflect. Wait here Rae.” Ji Eun walked back inside BAP’s dorm to get her bag. Yongguk followed right behind her, persuading her to stop what she's doing.

“You can come with us just as long as you apologize first. You can get to know her Yongguk and then you’ll realize that she’s not the person you spoke badly about. I vouch for her, trust me.” Ji Eun spoke softly to let Yongguk understand her point.

“You can’t force me to change my mind so easily. Don't get mad and don't punish me for reacting the way I did.” Yongguk took a deep breath and released it as a heavy sigh. "You know how affected I am with what transpired. You know how much it means to me."

“I know. That’s why you stay here first and if you’re ready by today then you can meet up with us later. I’m sure I also need to convince her that my Yongguk isn’t that big mean intimidating person she talked to last time. ” Ji Eun kissed Yongguk softly before sighing to herself. “Oh boy, I guess I have to be a bridge between you two and change your impressions on one another. Good luck to me.” She chuckled in the end while wearing her shoes.

 

As Ji Eun promised, she tried to correct Rae’s image of Yongguk during the day. She didn’t try to force Rae to quickly have a 180 degree change but only explained herself and from Yongguk’s view once. After letting out everything out from their chests, the two left the issue at hand first so they can focus on catching up.

They had coffee and pastries and even did a little bit of shopping.

By the end of it all, Rae felt a built guilty. It was because in between their conversations, she realized that she and Ji Eun don’t share a lot of things in common now compared to before. Although she  still loved her friend's company, there were some interests and opinions that they didn’t see eye to eye with.

 

Yongguk didn’t try to follow them out and instead just stayed at home to go through the mail he received from Rae.

Ji Eun was right, he was able to use his ‘me’ time to read the heartfelt letters of the children and their families. The photos of the kids smiling and studying was enough to brighten Yongguk’s day. He needed this to be enlightened and possibly consider patching up with Rae. After all, it is for his girlfriend’s happiness and the boys would be glad too. Although he’s hoping that she won’t try to make the two meet anytime soon again.


 

4th chapter in, I do wish to hear some reactions of my readers. 

Hope you all have a good weekend.