Bad News

People Like You

Rae’s world turned upside down upon being informed of the latest news that shook their whole company…that their vice president has been stealing a huge amount of money from their funds. To make it worse, he is now in hiding. She couldn’t believe that she has been working with and for a con man for months now.

Before all of this, he seemed like such a great man in her eyes. Was it really just for greed? Desperate times call for desperate measures? But how can someone who is privileged to afford a car, live in a high-end condominium steal from families who can’t even afford to have proper meals in a day? It really is inhumane.

Rae felt a whirlwind of feelings when the news sank in. She became emotional when she first found out but she had to push those thoughts away and get right back into work to at least try to find some sort of silver lining. Everyone in the company has to help each other in trying to re-organizing everything, find documents, account the expenses, in an attempt for their organization not to shut down, to continue working with their sponsors to help those in need and then find that shameless bastard.

Rae has divided the task of talking to their donors about this news and how the other uncorrupt heads of their non-profit organization plan to fix things. Trust is really a big deal here. They have to personally talk to their sponsors and supporters hoping to gain their understanding of their situation and to assure them of the steps they are taking in controlling and gaining everything back.

 

“Bang Yongguk.” Rae double checked his address before hopping on the train. She remembers meeting this cordial man at their charity gala before. He seemed like a real genuine guy wanting to change the world. She remembers him saying that as an ‘idol’ he feels that it is only right he becomes a good role model, he was an angel on and off screen. His fans even donated to their charity on his last birthday.

What she likes is that he doesn’t only talk about things but he actively advocates the causes he believes in. What a seriously great man, not to mention, talented, handsome and with a lot of charisma. Their songs talk about problems in society and other issues we deal in life. He’s out to preach and be a great example. It is obvious that he’s not in it for the fame and money, he’s not that ‘cutesy’ idol…although Rae is guilty of thinking that he is pretty darn cute though. Despite having that deep raspy voice, he seems like a marshmallow.

 

“Okay…this is it. You have to be a good messenger. Deliver the facts.” Rae went up to BAP’s apartment and prepared herself in seeing the other members of the group she listens to. She hated being the bearer of bad news but she had to do this.

Rae rang the doorbell and waited for any sound of response behind the door. Seconds passed before the door opened in front of her. The smell of ramen instantly hit her nostril.

“Yes?” Rae had to tilt her head back a bit to look at the tall maknae.

Rae introduced herself and explained that she needed to talk to Yongguk as a representative of the organization.

“Hyuuuung!” Zelo shouted while Rae entered and removed her heels.

The guys were just starting to eat their late lunch and offered her to eat with them, insisting that she came at a good time for some yummy ramen. What a friendly and courteous bunch of guys.

“Actually I’m here for business. Can I talk to you in private?” She asked Yongguk. Yongguk thought twice about it, bringing her to his room isn’t really proper with his status so he took her to the living room, just a few steps away from their kitchen-dining area but at least there’s some distance from the others.

“What’s this about?” Yongguk asked confused, he really had no clue why she suddenly showed up in their doorstep. Fortunately word hasn’t really got around and workers like Rae are trying to do damage control before the official press conference happens.

“It’s about the charity. I don’t know how to start this but…” Rae then goes on by saying that the vice president has gone missing along with money that wasn’t meant for him. She tried to say every detail necessary. She noticed how Yongguk’s facial expression keeps on getting darker. She apologized for their shortcomings in finding out late and assured him that they are doing their best in recovering everything.

“Our lawyers are already doing their best in freezing his accounts and hopefully take out a big percentage of it that we can turn over for investigation and then return to the rightful sponsors, like you. We’ll give you the details of how much of your money was truly spent in the right way and then return the amount left. Unfortunately we can’t return the whole amount right away so I hope you can be patient with the process.”

“This is really unbelievable.” Yongguk had a serious expression on his face. He stared ahead, trying to scarcely fathom the information passed on to him.

“Believe me, I feel the same. We really had no idea what was going on. Even I donated and I can’t imagine where my money has gone.” It’s true, she used her own hard earned money to help people in developing countries not to contribute to developing rest houses in Jeju. She thought that he understood her point as she too is a victim. She knows very well how he’s feeling.

Yongguk shakes his head in disapproval. He couldn’t wrap his mind around the fact that someone would actually steal from a cause like this. Who in their right mind would do that?

Yongguk let out a sigh, what else could he do at this point? He then looks back at Rae, examining her from head to toe as he noticed some of her accessories.

“That’s an expensive brand of bag, isn’t it?” Yongguk has an accusatory tone in his voice as he questioned her. He isn’t fully convinced that she’s clear from any suspicions.

“Excuse me?” Rae picked up on his tone and line of questioning.

“How about your watch and necklace? It looks like something you can pawn with a value.” He continued, not even being subtle about what he was trying to point out. The words he chose just came naturally and carelessly.

The guys in the other room stopped eating as they heard their leader’s change of tone of voice. They looked at each other, not knowing how to react.

“What are you trying to say?” Rae bit her inner cheek, restraining herself from saying anything that may cause this situation to go from bad to worst. She can very well explain how she acquired the items he pointed out but she didn’t see the point in defending herself in this case.

“I just call it the way I see it.”

“That’s pretty judgmental isn’t it? This is just as personal to me as it is to you.” She argued back.

“I’m sure the paycheck is. Just return my money so I can give it to the right company who’ll really put money to good use, where it should be.” Yongguk emphasized some of the words as he continued to assert himself.

“Hyung, shouldn’t you do something?” Daehyun asked Himchan as he is the only one who can talk (down) to Yongguk when these kinds of serious situations happen.

“Look, I’m trying to really be humble and understanding here. I know our organization is at fault here but stop taking it out on me.” Rae answered back. She could only hold back so much.

“Why shouldn’t I?”

“I’m also a victim here!” She was growing frustrated and annoyed by the minute.

“Prove me wrong.” Yongguk challenged her, his eyes bore into hers. His gaze can be intimidating to some but not to Rae.

“Oh I plan to do just that.” She answered back with determination. She’s not going to be brought down by Yongguk nor by that stealing mogul who is putting her through this in the first place.

She was already walking towards the door when she heard him utter something.

“I should have known better than to trust someone like you.” Yongguk muttered under his breath, yet his words were clear as if he still wanted her to hear it.

“Yongguk…” Himchan finally stepped in. He called his name in a way that sounded like it was a warning.

“What did you say?” Rae turned around and looked at him. “Someone like me?” He is really testing her manners and she’s ready to fight it out.

“Yeah, someone like you who can’t even give me your correct information.”

“What are you talking about?” It was her turn to be baffled with his words that seems like a riddle.

“Oh don’t tell me you ‘forgot’. We met at your event before. I asked for your number and you gave me a fake one.” Yongguk tried to remind her of their once fateful meeting.

“I remember but I did not give you a fake number. Why would I even do that?”

Yongguk scoffed at her response before going into his room. He got his walled and took out her business card and roughly puts it in her palm. Her name, position, and company email address and their business address is in the front of the card while the other side had her cellphone number, the one she wrote down the night of the event. It was correct until she got to the last digit, her 1 looked like a 7.

“I should have known not to trust a person who can’t even give basic contact details about her. Now you tell me, is it wrong for me to assume that you are in fact hiding something?” Yongguk contended.

Rae was sure she intended to give him her number. When a guy like Yongguk asks for your number, why wouldn’t you?

Thinking back about it now, how did that little mishap happen? 

 


 

There’s going to be a flashback and continuation of their confrontation in the next chapter.

I hope you enjoyed the start.

Yongguk’s birthday is coming soon so I'll try to update around that time again ;) Honestly I didn’t think I’d be a fan of BAP cause their first few songs were too hiphop powerful for me but look at who I’m writing about now. haha