First impressions don't last

People Like You

Rae went around the convention hall as she checked up on the guests of their charity gala. It’s their first event and Rae couldn’t be happier with the outcome. Her bright smiled reflected how she felt as she truly thanked everyone who made it possible. All the hard work they put in in preparing this event showed to be worth it, her colleagues congratulated her for the success.

Rae finally got to kids table where some of their sponsors left their young ones to mingle, hoping the company will ease their boredom. Rae found it funny and adorable that she found the singer and one of their youngest and generous donors, Bang Yongguk at the same table.

Once she was in earshot, Rae could Yongguk trying to keep the children and teens focus on him. Apparently he was talking to them about the importance of being friendly, saving money and doing good deeds.

“Are you all doing good? May I join your table?” Rae asked everyone, her eyes landed on Yongguk last.

“We need a refill of iced teas, cookies and cupcakes please.” One of the older ones requested.

“I’m right on it.” Rae called the attention of one of the waiters and passed on the request.

“How about you sir? Aren’t you a little out of place?” She started a conversation with Yongguk.

“Thank you. I’m all good.” Yongguk replied before standing up to offer his seat to her, which she kindly refused with the reason that she still has to check up on other guests a little later so sitting isn't an option at the moment. Yongguk then extended his hand to introduce himself and Rae did the same.

“I hope you don’t take this the wrong way but I just have to say, I’m a BAP fan.” She confessed shyly that she is indeed a ‘baby’.

“I appreciate it. Thanks for enjoying our music. I’ll let the others know that our fan is making a difference.” Yongguk was flattered, his gummy smile and heart-melting eyes proved it.

“That's sweet of you to say. Seriously, the earth needs more people like you Mr. Bang.” She continued to praise him as she’s genuinely touched with his activeness in lending a helping hand.

“Please, it sounds so formal. Calling me Yongguk is fine. And I can say the same. People like you make life easier and better for these underprivileged kids.” Yongguk answered back, his words genuine as can be.

“We may have an outreach program in the latter half of the year. We’re still planning it out but it would be fun if you’ll join. It would be nice you know, especially if you get to meet the kids you’re helping out.” Rae informed him of their future plans.

“The idea sounds great. Will you be you going?” This is Bang Yongguk starting to subtly flirt.

“Of course. I won’t miss it.”

“Then keep me updated. I’d love to take part, maybe bring the rest of my members with me as well. How can I keep in touch with you?”  Yongguk didn’t have a business card so he asked for hers.

“Oh uhm…your number isn’t here?” Yongguk tried a smooth move to get her contact detail.

“Oh I forgot it wasn’t printed out there since I recently changed numbers. Here let me write it down on the back.”

Rae was bumped into by her co-worker while she was scribbling the last digit down. She wasn’t able to double check as the CEO called everyone’s attention for an announcement.

“Sorry to cut our meeting short but I have to get back to work. Thanks for coming. It was nice meeting you though.” Rae handed her card back to Yongguk, somewhat feeling giddy after.

“It was great meeting you too. I hope to see you again.” Yongguk replied before securing her card inside his wallet.

A grin was plastered on Yongguk’s face. He sat back down and saw that the kids were all starting at him with a silly look on their faces.

“What?” He asked with a confused expression.

“So that’s the importance of being ‘friendly’, huh? Great example hyung.” One of the teenaged boys remarked with a smirk on his face.

 

‘So that’s why I never got a call or any messages from him.’ Rae realized but didn’t voice out her thoughts. She honestly checked and waited for the day that an unknown number would flash on her phone by this man instead of those all related to work. She’s guilty of daydreaming. She even had Soyu & Junggigo’s song ‘Some’ stuck in her mind when she randomly thought of the ‘what-if’s’

Rae then explained her side, that she didn’t intend to do that and tried to remind him of what happened based on what she recalled, which is nothing but the truth.

“Don’t you remember someone bumped into me? You even tried to help me out when you thought I lost my balance. So if you memory and rational thinking will help you, I did not do it on purpose.” Rae hoped she was able to clear things out during that incident.

“Yeah right, just like how your organization didn’t intend to leech and keep your donors’ money.” He continued to glare at her, his jaw tense with every word he spoke. It’s not in Yongguk’s nature to really show anger but this hit something close to his heart that he couldn’t just sit back, nod and accept whatever the representative is saying, even if it’s the truth.

“It’s clear that you’ve already made up your mind. All I can say is that my conscience is clean. The only thing I regret is trusting that scammer and not doing more research about him. I came here with good intentions. I really am sorry but I guess you just can’t get through with people whose brains are waxed together because they keep on eating ramen.” Rae then turned around and stormed off. She didn’t even bother to wear her shoes inside their dorm as she chose to just pick it up from the floor and wear it once she closed the door behind her.

It may have been a childish rebut and a fact that she learned as a fan (and now she’s actually proved to him that she is) but she still wanted to have the last word after all he accused her of.

She let out a frustrated expression as she wore her heels outside. Rae tried to compose herself as she waited for the elevator.

 

*Ding* Just when the sound of the elevator went off, Daehyun and Youngjae caught up to Rae. The two apologized for Yongguk’s careless words.

“We were all surprised with his reaction too. We’ve never seen him that mad before. I guess it’s because this really meant something special to him” Youngjae told Rae.

“But it’s still no excuse for him to act like that. Rest assured Himchan hyung is talking some sense into him as we speak.” Daehyun added. He felt bad that her first meeting with the rest of them ended up this way. 

“I can understand where he’s coming from, even I would have blown up and interrogated the person in charge but he really crossed the line you know. He really got to my nerves, accusing me as if I’m the bad man here, no pun intended. If I wasn’t innocent then I wouldn’t go all the way here just to appease him. I could have made it less personal and hassle-free on the phone. I didn’t expect him to be a real jerk about it, sorry, no offense.” Rae talked to them calmly. The guys walked her out and she appreciated their kind gesture.

 

Yongguk locked himself in his room after Himchan chided him for his behavior, to a woman no less. Deep inside he knows that what he did was wrong but still! And to think that his group was siding with her even after hearing what their organization did.

This cause is something close to his heart and it pains him to know that the children he thought he was helping out are not getting what they deserve.

“Ugh. The nerve of that girl. Unbelievable.” He can’t help but question and treat her that way. Admittedly, Yongguk was interested in her that’s why he got her number when they met months ago. But obviously he wasn’t able to act up on it because he couldn’t contact her again. He took it as a sign that she wasn’t interested with seeing him, outside the charity organization that is.

And weeks after his encounter with Rae, he realized that maybe things worked out for the better when he met a different girl that reciprocated his feelings. She was a new producer in their label and not long after their relationship as workers blossomed and she became his girlfriend.

Maybe that’s just who he should call and talk to to relax him and take his mind off the matter. The guys are due to record a song later but at this rate, he knows he’ll unfairly take out his annoyance at the members and it can cause discord, with him being a perfectionist he’s sure he’ll keep on making them repeat their parts until the word ‘again’ becomes the word of the year.

 

Rae still couldn’t get over what transpired earlier even when she reached home. Yongguk gave such a first good impression, what happened to that man she met months ago? Albeit, she can see why he got mad but come on, did he really have to point his finger at her and blame her and even go by saying she used dirty money to buy her possessions.

Rae slumped on her bed and muffled her frustrated screams against her pillow. 


 

Wishing this mid-week update amused you all ;) 

What would you like to see in the story? Suggestions are welcome so write them down in the comment box below. :)