Jealousy and Avoidance

People Like You

Yongguk didn’t know what got to him to make such a bold move. However, to kiss Rae, especially in this situation, felt like the most natural thing to do. Was he just really trying to hush and comfort her?

The first few seconds felt right, even to Rae, but the moment she realized what was truly happening she immediately put her hands against Yongguk’s chest and stepped back. Yongguk only became aware of what he did the moment she pushed him and pulled away.

“Rae, I…” He stammered when she looked at him confused. He wasn’t able to properly apologize for his surprising action as she turned away from him and proceeded to go to her room.

He stayed rooted on ‘their’ spot, as he reeled in what just occurred. ‘.’ Yongguk muttered under his breath and kicked the dirt around him out of frustration. He did not attempt to follow Rae because if he did, then what would happen? He didn’t know what to say. Heck, he doesn’t even know what he’s feeling. Numerous thoughts ran through his mind regarding Rae. ‘Did she feel ambushed? Maybe she thinks I’m taking advantage of her during her weak moment? I was just…what the hell did I just do?’ It took him minutes of thinking about those kinds of thoughts, of only revolving around him and Rae, before he remembered Ji Eun…his girlfriend.

Come to think of it, they haven’t spoken in two days. The last message he sent was regarding him settling in while she responded with just a short note. Although he also sent her photos with the kids, they didn’t have the time to talk and exchange more stories.

“Get your head straight Yongguk.” Yongguk huffed and went back to his room.

After checking the time difference, Yongguk decided it would be the best time to call his girl. Would he confess? Will the guilt come through his voice? Oh boy…he was becoming crazy with the mixture of foreign feelings building up within him.

“Hi love.” Ji-Eun’s sweet voice made Yongguk smile.

“Hey...I miss you. How have you been?”

“We just finished sorting the situation here. It’s been hectic.” Ji-eun complained to her boyfriend.

“Really? You’re done? You do know that we still have 3 more days here, right? Have you been checking out flights?”

“Babe, I know I promised that I’ll try to follow but I don’t think I’m physically and mentally prepared to go there after what I just had to do. I’m sure it’s fun and all, we can catch up when you come back and show me all the photos and videos you took.” Ji-Eun apologetically told her boyfriend.

“You make it sound like it’s just a casual trip abroad.” Yongguk couldn’t help but feel somewhat frustrated. He was looking forward to her being part of something that means a lot to him. Sure, she’s supportive of him donating but she hasn’t really stepped up and volunteered to do something. He was hoping that this trip would enlighten her and make her more pro-active. He couldn’t blame her work suddenly getting in the way but now that she has free time, it seems like she’s just letting the opportunity pass by. “I got to meet the kids I’ve been helping out. I’d love for you to meet them too.”

“I’m sure they’re nice.” She tried to sound enthusiastic.

“You sounded thrilled when we were planning to come here but now you’re just so passive about it.” He noticed that she’s not emotionally invested into these kinds of causes like he is. ‘She’s not like Rae.’ The thought suddenly popped out before he caught himself. ‘Wait…what? Since when did I start comparing Rae to Ji-Eun?’

“Come on Yongguk, don’t make me feel bad here. I was just so stressed here with damage control and then having to formally report about the whole ordeal. Is it so wrong that I take this time to rest and re-energize myself? You of all people know how hard it is to get some relaxing days in this kind of industry.” Ji-Eun didn’t want to have an argument, especially not now when they’re not countries apart and unable to just make a single ride to patch things up.

Yongguk sighed but before he could answer back he heard the doorbell at Ji-Eun’s place.

“Hold on, I think that’s Yongnam.” Ji-Eun casually told him before switching the call to loudspeaker. “He’s been keeping me company so I won’t be too lonely without you.”

“Wait…he’s been going there? I thought you’ve been busy?” He sat up from the bed and raised an eyebrow, as if the other party could see him. From the way she explained things to him before he thought that she would be too preoccupied with work to have a social life.

“Yeah Yongguk, she’s been whining a lot.” Yongnam chuckled after hearing his brother’s voice. They sounded happy…that should make Yongguk happy too, right?

“I still haven’t finished cooking for us.” Yongguk heard Ji-Eun speak on the other line. ‘She’s cooking? I thought she was tired?’ Yongguk didn’t dare voice out his bitter thoughts.

“That’s okay, let me check while you continue your long distance relationship talk with my brother.”

“YAH! Don’t put the same spoon you put in your mouth back to the pot.” Ji-Eun playfully scolded him. “Babe, I’ve got to go before your brother spoils our dinner. Believe me, I wish I can be there with you. I can’t wait for you to come back. Don’t be mad at me, please?”

“Fine, I understand. I just really wished you were here too. Make sure you sleep and eat well, okay?” Yongguk had no other choice but to accept things and be okay with it.

“Don’t worry Yongguk, I’m taking care of her.” Yongnam shouted over.

“Take care of yourself too babe. I love- Yonggnam stop it!” The call abruptly ended with her giggling.

“I love you too…” Yongguk groaned in the end. Is it wrong that he’s feeling jealous of his brother? ‘Don’t overthink. There’s nothing to be jealous about.’ He tried to tell himself over and over again.

 

The next day, everyone was given a free day to roam around. Rae’s group offered to give a tour of Angkor Wat and the other beautiful temples nearby, which a lot signed up for.

Yongguk was happy since the children, including Chann, went with him. They got to bond more while in the bus en route to the temple.

Yongguk kept trying to get a chance to talk to Rae but it seems like she’s always surrounded with people, always busy interacting with others. He tried to distract himself with the kids, which wasn’t hard to do at all. He smiled as he watched them enjoy and act their age, like they had no worries. Oh to go back to that age, being naïve and just figuring out which crayon you’d want to use in your drawing.

Truth be told, Rae was intentionally creating a barricade of people to lessen her chances on interacting with Yongguk. She’s been a bit paranoid and nervous but at least she’s been successful in keeping him away as she still has yet to decide on how to act around him.

An announcement was made after the tour. “Okay everyone, change of plans for. We have to move to Phnom Penh tomorrow morning because some roads going to the airport will be closed starting tomorrow. Please pack your bags and be in the lobby before 10am. We will also be making a stop at the royal palace and other temples located there. We will be holding our feeding program there as well.”

The day ended on a sad note since Yongguk and the other sponsors had to bid farewell to the children they’ve grown to love. It has been a remarkable experience and Yongguk told the kids that he would never forget them.

 

The next day rolled in and again, Rae was doing her best to avoid Yongguk.

‘Only one more day.’ Rae told herself, knowing that tomorrow will be the day that they fly back to Korea. Hopefully by then, the threatening stalker situation has been handled. Rae hasn’t been getting updates regarding the case but she’s praying that no news means good news.

The day was going according to plan despite the traffic that they endured.

It’s about late in the afternoon and the group was now strolling inside a temple. For the first time since the trip started, Rae was acting like a tourist. She was taking photos of the beautiful historical temple they were exploring. Rae had her eye against the camera’s viewfinder when she suddenly felt someone grasp her hand and started tugging her. Good thing Rae had the camera’s strap around her neck or else it would’ve dropped.

“Yongguk, what are you doing?!” She questioned him in a hush tone. She was trailing behind him as he continued to pull her with him until they were in a more secluded area. Yongguk removed his hold on her when he knew that he got her cornered.

“You’ve been avoiding me.”


 

Wasn't able to proofread that much. Sorry. Writing these kind of stories again kinda feels foreign.hehe Doubting myself, I feel like I lost my touch, if I ever had one?haha

Noticed that this story gained new readers so Hi everyone! Thank you for subscribing and for 'upvoting' this story. I appreciate it :) 

I would love to hear/read your thoughts so I hope you can take a minute to let me know what you think by writing on the comment section below. Have a good weekend :)