Opportunities

Next Door Enemies
 
 
 
The day of the Beginning Festival is drawing near. Everyone was busy before became even more pressured with preparations, especially the clubs and student counsel. The school has many events, but this festival is the biggest every year since the year the school opened. And by far, this is everyone’s favorite festival. 
 
“Move it! Hurry!” The President's, Jinki, shouts can be heard all the way down the hall. 
 
“Yes! I-I’m sorry!” Byun Baekhyun quickly picked up his pace.
 
“Ugh. Why are they so slow??!! Who is it that accepted these sloths into the counsel?!” Lee Taemin, the student counsel’s secretary, groaned. 
 
I did.” Minho appeared behind the shorter secretary. 
 
“AH! DUDE! Don’t ever do that again!” Taemin jumped. 
 
Minho smiled innocently and strolled over to the President who’s flipping furiously through the pages inside a manila folder. Jinki let out a frustrated “argh” and lift his head up from the folder, burning his eyes into his Vice-President’s as like saying “what is it that a ing bastard like you want?” Minho raised his arms up in defense, but still wears an innocent smile on his perfect face.      
 
“Hey, Prez.” Minho greeted cheerfully.
 
“Where in the living world have you been?!!” Jinki glared.
 
“Oh. You know, just hanging out with my friends.” Minho casually answered. 
 
Oh… Instead of helping like how a vice president supposed to do, you went and enjoy your oh-so-sweet-time?”
 
“I’ve been doing a lot.”
 
Like?” 
 
Being one of the sponsor of this festival?”
 
The student body President darted his eyes up and down Minho’s body, judging hard, though he didn’t say anything more. Lee Jinki wasn’t in any position or status to be retorting back to a comment like those. Minho shrugged leisurely, knowing the way Jinki responded to that statement. 
 
“Say, Taemin..” Minho turned his attention to the black-haired secretary. “Wanna go hang out later, after you’re done with everything?”
 
“You've got new friends.” Taemin said. “Go with them. I’m busy.”
 
“Awe~ That’s too bad then.” Minho smiled, stepped closer to Taemin, enough to bent his tall built down and whispers in the shorter male’s ear. “I really miss when it’s only us hanging out together, Taemin.” 
 
“S-stop it!” Taemin pushed Minho away from himself. “I-I get it already. I’ll go w-with you.” 
 
The secretary can’t deny the streak of red that spreads across his cheeks when he felt his vice president’s breath against his ear. Minho chuckled softly and patted Taemin’s head, finding the fellow's reaction cute. 
 
“Alright. Don’t make me wait too long. You know I’m not patient.” Minho winks playfully before walking off.
 
“And you know I’ve never made you wait long.” Taemin said under his breath. 
 
Jinki was a bystander to the whole conversation, rolled his eyes in exasperation. Today was definitely not his day. 
 
“Stop standing around and daydream your stupid dreams and get moving. WE’RE BEHIND.”
 
“Yes, sir!” 
 
“Oh, and, did you manage to get the recommended students, Taemin?”
 
“No.” Taemin shook his head. “But no worries, I send Byun Baek and Amber to go fetch them.”
 
“Okay. We need as much help as we can gather.” 
 
“Yes.”
 
“This festival has to be and will be the BEST!”
 
 
 
 
 
***
 
 
 
 
 
“Um… Is there anyone with the identification of K-Kim Jonghyun..?” The shy goody-two-shoes asked after several minutes of trying to get everyone’s attention. 
 
The class all slowly turns their head to the direction of a bored blonde male. Jonghyun looks up when he sense these eyes staring at him. He looked rather confuse as to why everyone was staring so intensely but soon realized someone was looking for him.
 
“What?” Jonghyun tilted his head in annoyance.
 
“I-I.. Are you Kim Jonghyun?” 
 
“Yes. That’s me.”
 
“…..-“
 
“What you want, Byun Baekhyun?
 
“H-how you-“ Baekhyun flustered. 
 
“Chanyeol. And didn’t we met on the first day?”
 
“Oh.. C-Chanyeol.. And yes.. We did. I remember.”
 
“Anyways, what you need that’s involving me?”
 
“You’re one of the recommended students for helping out with the festival.” 
 
“What? Why? No way. I don’t got time for that -“
 
“Recommended students are suggested by their teachers, thus, will lead to a bump on your average.”
 
“…..” 
 
“B-but it looks like you don’t have interest so I’ll leave-“
 
“Wait. I’m coming.” 
 
Jonghyun got up and gathered his things. Baekhyun scratched his head, feeling awkward and unwanted, he stepped out to wait for Jonghyun. The blonde male sighed every second while he makes his way out of the classroom with everyone’s eyes still on him as if watching his every nerves. 
 
The two walked silently. No words in exchange. Baekhyun was all nervous since he’s actually next to the person who “helped”, that what Baekhyun thought, him on the first day. The brunette wanted to give his thanks, but he’s too shy. Meanwhile, Jonghyun mentally fighting with himself, asking how the hell did he ended up being so desperate for a grade bump that he’s willing to do anything for it. Jonghyun didn’t like losing his cool. 
 
“H-h-hey..” Baekhyun finally have the courage.
 
“Hmm?” Jonghyun hummed in reply. 
 
“For last time, even though I’m not sure if you’re intentions were to help me, but I want to thank you-“
 
“What’s up Jong- Oh. Hello, there, Baek.” A booming deep voice that belongs to one particular person showed up.
 
Anyone can see Baekhyun’s muscles tense up and he froze on his tracks. Jonghyun, clearly recognized, rolled his eyes. Why does this guy always, I mean like always, appear everywhere? Jonghyun groaned. 
 
“H-he-hello.” Baekhyun’s voice was shaky. “Chanyeol…”
 
“Whatcha doing walking with each other?” Chanyeol smiled.
 
“W-we were just about to head-“
 
“I’m a recommended student.” Jonghyun cuts in. “And god, Chanyeol, you’re scaring him.”
 
“Oh. You are?” Chanyeol cheered. “Congratulations, Jong! You have another free grade!” 
 
“Shut up.”
 
“Did I scared you, Baek?” 
 
“N-no. You didn’t.” 
 
“I’m sorry.”
 
“Well goddamn. You’re so calm for someone who’s talking directly to their cru-“
 
“You’ll be at the festival?” Chanyeol interrupts Jonghyun when he knows what the blonde was going to expose. 
 
“I’ve got to.” Baekhyun looked down. “I’m part of student counsel after all.”
 
Out of the three of them that was standing there, the only person who witnesses Chanyeol’s genuinely beaming smile while looking softly at his crush was Jonghyun. Baekhyun’s head was down. Jonghyun rolled his eyes for the umpteenth time.
 
“Well, I’ll leave you guys.” The tallest grinned. “See you, Baekhyun!” 
 
Baekhyun just stood there with his hand up, doing the waving gesture. After seeing the tall redhead's back disappears into the corner of the hallway, the short brunette let out a heavy sigh. Jonghyun glances over to the owner of the sigh with much curiosity.
 
“You really hate him, don’t you.”
 
“No.. It’s not that. It’s not like that at all..” 
 
Jonghyun shrugged and signaled Baekhyun to continue leading the way. 
 
 
 
 
 
***
 
 
 
 
Kim Kibum was out of his after school homeroom a long time ago since he didn’t wanted to stay and breathe in the same air as his enemy. He wanted to go home so bad, but the freshmen has to stay back for extra cramming and tutorials. As much as Kibum wants to keep his straight A’s record, he doesn’t want to have to sit in school for another hour or two because being in there for eight hours was already more than enough. 
 
“Yo. You Kim Kibum, am correct?” 
 
The blonde turned his head towards the foreign-sounding voice and found a “boy” looking at him. 
 
“Yes… And who are you?”
 
“Name’s Amber. Liu Amber.” 
 
Amber stuck her hand out for a handshake. Kibum hesitates for a bit, but decided to take it or it’ll be rude. Amber smiled, understanding the confused blonde’s feelings. She’s totally fine with it though. 
 
“You’re one of the recommended students. Congrats.” 
 
“Recommended students?”
 
“Students that are recommended by teachers to help out.” Amber explained. “They get a free upgrade if they help.” 
 
Kibum raised his eyebrows. 
 
“Get it? Upgrade. You’re getting a grade bump.” The tomboy laughs, patting herself over her proud pun. 
 
“Yea. I get it.” Kibum cringed. “Like wow.”
 
Whatever. You’re no fun.”
 
“So are we going or not?”
 
“Yes, yes, yes we are. Don’t give me the attitude now, Ki.” Amber rolled her eyes.
 
“It’s Kibum. Not Ki.” The blonde corrected. 
 
Amber ignores him and began walking away, Kibum follows closely behind, feeling ticked off. Well, let’s just say, anyone would rather go help the student counsel than  cooped up in the boring, unbreathable, jail-like classroom with nothing else better to do. 
 
And being in the presence of his sworn enemy had gave Kibum cancer. 
 
 
 
 
 
***
 
 
 
 
 
“Oh hell to the no."
 
 
 
 
 
***
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Author's Note: EYYYYY!! It's been a REALLY DAMN long time . . . I suddenly had a burst of those "one-in-a-while-inspiration-to-do-something" . . So here's another chapter. Enjoy and I'll be seeing you lovely people soon~