Friends

Next Door Enemies
 
“I really can’t with this.” 
 
“It’s only been a month, Kibum.”
 
“I know.”
 
Kibum let out a heavy sigh as his eyes stared off into the distance. The year went on with its flow and now, a month had came rolling by. The studies and extra cramming dug out every living soul of the newcomers. Jonghyun’s grades went rolling down in the deep like Adele. Kibum’s, on the other hand, struggling to hang onto the last thin string of hope. The freshmen are terrified and ready to drop out anytime soon while the upperclassmen teases and having fun ordering their juniors around.
 
The air condensed and it is now harder to breathe. The tired blonde covered his mouth and coughed continuously. Next to him, his faded-brown haired Chinese friend dragged the cigarette back upon between his dried lips, , pulled the cigarette back out, and blew a cloud of smoke as he blinks rapidly. Kibum waved his hand back and forth in front of him to somewhat block the smoke from entering through his nostrils and into his poor lungs. 
 
“Seriously! Quit!” Kibum shouted between coughs. 
 
“Don’t hang with me then.” The smoker shrugged like he doesn’t care. 
 
“Yixing! Zhang ing Yixing!"
 
“You really can’t handle it, Bum. Stay away or it’ll be worse.” 
 
Yixing glanced at his friend’s condition and scoffed. The skinny male took another huff of his cigarette before standing up and moved himself to the other end of the school’s roof, leaving a gap in the middle of himself and Kibum. The blonde started hitting his chest wildly while breathing heavily and coughing like he won’t be able to cough again. Well, this isn’t the first. This situation happened many, many, many times. It occurs so much that Kibum had lost count a long time ago ever since he met Zhang Yixing. Kibum can stop the friendship if he wanted to, but Yixing has this strange aura that really pulled Kibum, and so he continue meeting up with this drug addicted friend. Yixing is not a bad person at all, Kibum came to realized one day when he was doing his homework and happened to look up at Yixing who was staring blankly into space with tears threaten to fall from the corners of his desolated eyes. Yixing is actually a very understanding person. He listens to Kibum’s nonsense rant about school, teachers, their seniors, the kids who still picks on him after the cafeteria accident, and even about his sworn enemy, Kim Jonghyun. The Chinese male will listen and nods. Sometimes he laughs and said “that’s stupid”. Sometimes he encourages with a word or two. Sometimes he offered a cigarette and suggested that smoking will ease everything. Whatever Yixing does or says, Kibum appreciated all because the blonde male actually felt like he has a real friend whenever he hung around Yixing. 
 
“Hey.” Yixing released another puff of smoke as he leaned over the roof’s balcony, looking down. “Isn’t that Jonghyun?”
 
Kibum stopped coughing and turned his attention to Yixing. “Wh-what..”
 
“Yeah. It’s him, walking next to that istic grin Chanyeol and Mister Perfect Minho.” 
 
“So what?”
 
“He look like a dwarf next to them.” 
 
“He’s ugly and short as .”
 
“Whatever you say.”
 
“Who gives a flying about someone like that?”
 
“Really, Bum. Whatever you say.” Yixing broke out into a laughing mess.
 
 
 
 
 
+++
 
 
 
 
 
The vice president opened the sets of double doors with a bright smile. Chanyeol bowed a little since his senior and vice president is holding the doors open for him. Have to at least show some respect. Jonghyun just mouthed “thank you” coolly and walked in. Chanyeol rolled his eyes. His so-called friend thinks he’s out of this universe. 
 
Jonghyun has been followed by Chanyeol now that they got some classes together and if they don’t, their classes coincidentally on the same way. So, really, there’s no way out of the tall, creepy male’s grasp. Jonghyun gets annoy whenever Chanyeol opens his mouth because he would go on and on about his “disgusting”, as Jonghyun would call it, one-sided love life with the goody-two-shoes, Byun Baekhyun. And Jonghyun never was a person to put up with any bull to begin with. However, Chanyeol’s money makes up to all of it.
 
Then, Minho happened to come along one day when he saw them at an ice cream store across the school. From there, the vice president found the "two friends” very interesting since they’re like night and day, thus, he decided to join. Jonghyun didn’t mind much. Probably ‘cause he doesn’t give two s or he actually liked Minho ‘cause the tall and athletic guy is still better than Chanyeol. 
 
The trio was created. Words get around fast. Everyone is now aware of the strangely combined three. One person is flawless from head to toe. The other is a weird creep with great power and money over anything, the other is a -faced-looking-rebellious-blond-haired shortie with an attitude that surpasses every single person in the school. Those three are pretty much close now to know all about each other’s problems and nonsense. 
 
“You guys have any plans for the Beginning Festival?” Minho asked.
 
“I’m definitely going!” Chanyeol grinned. “And I’ll bring Baek along, too~” 
 
“You really think he's gonna go with his bully to a festival when he can just stay at home and stuck his nose in those boring books of his?” Jonghyun remarked. 
 
“Shut up, Jong. Why wouldn't he go with me? Isn’t he scared to death if he rejects me?” 
 
Woah. Chanyeol, chill. Who does that to woo their crush?” Minho chuckled. 
 
“You tell me.” Jonghyun said. 
 
“Ugh. No. One. Understands. Me.” Chanyeol pout. 
 
“No. One. Does.” Jonghyun rolled his eyes. 
 
Minho softly laughs and shook his head. Jonghyun shot him a glare. Chanyeol tried to hold himself back from lashing at the short blonde. 
 
“Anyways.” Minho, still laughing, said. “Are you going Jonghyun?” 
 
“Don’t know. Should I?” 
 
“You should. You need that major grade.” Minho winked. 
 
“Major grade?” 
 
“Yes. It’s an annual festival of SM Ent. High. Therefore, it is mandatory. I repeat. MANDATORY.”
 
“And you’ll get a free hundred for a major grade for just showing up at the festival.” Chanyeol added. “ Now you really think Baekhyun wouldn’t come?” 
 
“You’re sick, Chanyeol.” Jonghyun scoffed. “Guess I’ll go then. My grades really need to rise or else you two will probably see by dead body flowing along the Pacific Ocean.” 
 
“YASSSSSS!!!!” Chanyeol excitedly turned to Minho, who, on clue, high-fived each other.
 
The short male shrugged and rolled his eyes for how many times today as he walked away. It’ll be a long school year, Jonghyun thought. 
 
 
 
 
 
+++
 
 
 
 
 
Argh. . Why?! Jonghyun groaned internally as he started to regret running late to his bus. 
 
“Sit, student.” The bus driver said impatiently. 
 
“Yes, sir.” Jonghyun said emotionlessly as he walked toward the only seat available. 
 
The blonde reluctantly plop down next to a sleeping blonde male. All of Jonghyun’s luck had fly out the window. He had to deal with Chanyeol today and now this??!! He want to smash his head against the seat in front of him. He did. It didn’t pain him enough. But it did hurt. Jonghyun rubbed his forehead with the heel of his hand. Still frustrated and annoyed about the fact that he had to sit next to his forever hated person, Jonghyun rolled his eyes and curses under his breath of how God is testing his tolerance and why does it HAD to be Kim Kibum of ALL the worse possible people. Like why can’t it be Chanyeol or Minho or some stranger? At least they’re much more tolerable.  
 
Kibum’s head knocks back and forth against the bus’ seat uncomfortably. Yet, he still sleeps, his eyes stayed close, and his lips parts a little. This month had got him like a snow leopard pounding on a three-legged rabbit. Everything went by so fast at one point, then slow at another. They were so busy with their academics and complete missed out on each other. Jonghyun rarely see Kibum nowadays. Kibum barely had the time to be thinking about hateful thoughts aiming at Jonghyun. They set their problems aside and dedicated their souls to the books. They almost forgot each other. 
 
Yet, now, they’re next to each other. 
 
“How can a person look so unpleasant even when he sleeps….” Jonghyun muttered after he stole a glance at Kibum.
 
The sleeping male shifted in his seat as if he heard what the grumpy person next to him said. Jonghyun softly cleared his throat and looked down at his lap, where his fingers intertwined together. 
 
Passing by roads, streets, and trees, the bus drove on peacefully. Jonghyun’s eyes are getting a bit heavy. He sighed and as he was about to shut his eyes, a sudden weight collapsed on his shoulder. The awake blonde widened his eyes and slowly turned his head to clarify the situation. The sleeping blonde had rested his head on the shoulder of the person who happened to sit beside him. 
 
“What the….”
 
Jonghyun panicked. The ?? Jonghyun opened his mouth then closes them. He doesn’t know how to react to this. Kibum, on the other side, knitted his eyebrows together as he snuggled against Jonghyun’s shoulder, finding a comfortable position, Jonghyun froze, realizing he’s moving too much. 
 
“Oh hell no-“ 
 
Something slipped out of Kibum’s blazer’s pocket. An envelope it seemed. It landed on Jonghyun’s lap. The male really didn’t know what to do. But Jonghyun, being Jonghyun, trying to pull everything off coolly although he knows he wasn’t feeling like his usual self. He decided to open it since his curiosity is eating him up and it looks like it belonged to Kibum, it might something important that he can use against the defenseless blonde later on. 
 
Jonghyun careful picked up the envelop and opened it. 
 
I was thinking about you….
 
Jonghyun reads the paper that was folded neatly inside the pale green envelope. No one folds a sheet of paper like this… With an exception of Kim Kibum. Jonghyun recalled the time when him and his sworn enemy would write disturbing comments on paper and throw it at each other like notes. Jonghyun would just crumble them up while Kibum nicely folds them because Kibum likes everything neat and perfect. 
 
I thought of the times we’ve known each other. 
 
I did.
 
I thoroughly went through every single memory of you in my head. 
 
And from those fragments of our past, I even tried to imagine what would had happen instead if we started of as friends. 
 
My imaginations scared me. 
 
It was weird. 
 
Thinking that we’ll be friends. 
 
So I stopped thinking and came to realize something that wasn’t really new to us at all. 
 
I….
 
All at once, Jonghyun’s cheeks and fingertips burned a rosy pink. 
 
I really hate you.
 
But I don’t really hate you either. 
 
Kim Jonghyun.
 
Curiosity kills the cat. Jonghyun quietly refold the paper and placed back inside the envelope. He held the envelope in front of his face and shook his head in disbelieve. What the did I just read? No. No. No. This can’t be happening. Jonghyun breathed. Jonghyun, you can’t….
 
Jonghyun sneakily slipped the piece of confusion back into the pocket of the owner. Jonghyun put his hand above his chest. 
 
“. I’m sick.” The reddened blond-haired male mumbles under his heaping breaths. 
 
He looked over at Kibum’s sleeping face and immediately turned away.
 
“. You’re right, Kibum.” Jonghyun curses. “We can’t be friends. That's just ing bull.”