Aching

Next Door Enemies
 
Jonghyun slammed the door to his room shut. He kicked off his shoes and socks. His favorite leather jacket came off next and was thrown across the room. The blond plopped himself on his bed, groaning as he buried his face in a pile of pillows. 
 
 That didn’t went anywhere near what Jonghyun had wanted. It was supposed to be a relaxing and comfortable dinner with the other Kims next door. Jonghyun was supposed to replace his parents politely. The whole dinner planned by the two husbands were to let their wives interact with each other and hopefully become friends. Yet, Jonghyun ed everything up.
 
He couldn’t hold himself back though. 
 
Jonghyun had spent his whole morning trying to pick the right kind of flowers that he can only hope that the lady next door would like. After that, he went to a nearby coffee shop and chilled there a bit. Coincidentally, the blond met Taemin and the two engaged in a conversation about random things like hair color and tacky decorations. Eventually, Taemin bid “goodbye” because his ride had arrived. That’s when Minho stepped out of his fancy car and raised an eyebrow at Jonghyun. The male responded with a cheeky smile and waved the two off. 
 
Before walking back home, Jonghyun swung by the retail again to pick up the appointed bouquet of pink peonies. With the bundle of blooms in his hands, Jonghyun headed home, just in time for the said dinner time with the Kims. But his dad called and told the blond male that they won’t be making home by then so Jonghyun had no choice but to go alone in their place. 
 
Obviously, being a good child he is, Jonghyun obeyed. What could possibly go wrong, right?
 
Everything. Everything went wrong. 
 
He saw. 
 
Jonghyun saw that foreigner, who Kibum was laughing with the other day except now the lad has black hair, walked out of Kibum’s house. Jonghyun stopped. Again, he became an observer of the two. 
 
He watched them smile at each other and joke and laugh and everything that makes Jonghyun’s blood boil. Then, the black haired male placed his hand on Kibum’s shoulder. Jonghyun loses it. He didn’t even realize he has been gripping on to the poor wrappings so tight that tiny tears can be seen up-close.  
 
The blond wanted to run up to that kid and swat his hand off from Kibum’s narrow shoulder. He can’t touch him. No one can. 
 
Jonghyun watched as the foreigner left and waited until Kibum closed the door. Now, he proceeds. He doesn’t know why, but his heart was running five miles a second. The sound of his heartbeat was so loud. It was ringing high-pitched in his ears. 
 
He regained his coolness, thinking he can do this. He couldn’t. He started stuttering lamely when his eyes came in contact with his sworn enemy. His cheeks were pretty much the color of his mom’s crimson scarf. Jonghyun prayed that the other blond didn’t notice. 
 
Jonghyun wanted this to go right somehow, but of course, his idiotic, hateful self surfaced once he heard Kibum’s little mumbling. Jonghyun loses it again. 
 
And the rest goes down the drain. 
 
Jonghyun tossed and turned in his bed. He’s confused. He doesn’t understand. 
 
“You’re a wreck, Kim Jonghyun,” the blond cursed. “And a ing idiot.”
 
 
 
 
So that “fateful” dinner didn’t go as planned.
 
And the blonds avoided each other altogether harder than they ever had.
 
Both felt completely like .
 
“Hey,” a soft, pretty voice called Jonghyun from his roller coaster ride of undefined emotions.
 
“Oh, hey, Taeyeon. .?” Jonghyun’s voice wavered a bit, trying to remember what the girl had introduced herself as when they first met. 
 
“Yes,” Taeyeon smiled. “You remember.” 
 
Jonghyun returned her smile with one of his usuals, a fake smile. Taeyeon settled herself across from the blond. 
 
“Enjoying your lunch?” She asked. 
 
“Hmm. . I guess . .”
 
“Not bad, huh?”
 
“Nope, not at all. Better than what they served at my middle school. Much better.”
 
“That’s good to hear,” Taeyeon laughed, her eyes formed cute little crescents. 
 
“So, what’s up?” Jonghyun tried.
 
“Hmm . . You know about the festival, right?”
 
“Yes, I do. Actually, I’m one of those recommended students.”
 
“Oh, okay.”
 
“What about it?”
 
“I thought maybe we could hang out? Like go to the festival together?” 
 
By this point, Taeyeon is already blushing furiously. Jonghyun found her courage adorable and decided why the not? Kim Taeyeon was an eye-catcher. She is undeniably beautiful with grace. And Jonghyun doesn’t like passing such an awesome chance up, especially since he sort of need a distraction to all this "mess" he’s dealing with.
 
“Sure,” Jonghyun answered with a simple nod. “I’ll see you then?”
 
“Uh. . Y-yes. . Yes,” Taeyeon was surprised but regained her composure. “See you then. Enjoy your lunch. I got errands to run.” 
 
Jonghyun smiled understandingly as Taeyeon waved “goodbye” to him.
 
 
 
 
Kibum hates to admit that whatever had happened that night had effected his mood terribly. There’s like this thorn plugged deep in his heart. And he doesn’t know how to get it out.
 
“I give up on life, man.” The blond breathes out. 
 
“You still got this ty place to decorate so not so fast, Ki,” Amber sat down next to him.
 
“Why you always where I am?” 
 
“Coincidence, buddy. Don’t get the wrong idea.”
 
“That’s too many damn coincidence.”
 
“Maybe we’re fated. Who knows.” 
 
The male rolled his eyes and sighed. 
 
“What’s wrong?” Amber asked. “You look like a bus had run over your cat or something.”
 
“Nothing,” Kibum sighed, again. “Nothing’s wrong. . “
 
Something is,” Amber pressed on, curiosity took the best of her. “I mean if it’s about that twin of yo-“
 
“We’re not twins goddammit.” 
 
“Okay, okay, okay. Y’all not.”
 
“And it’s not about him . . . I think . . . No. It’s not.”
 
“Totally is.”
 
Kibum stared at Amber in disbelief. 
 
“You guys always fight and , but the atmosphere always around y’all always spell out ,” Amber said.
 
“Wha-“
 
“You don’t think so because you don’t see it. I’m pretty sure everyone else has and trust me, it’s hilarious.” 
 
“You’re being ridiculous,” Kibum frowned.
 
“That’s what keeps me up at night,” Amber winked. 
 
The blond scoffed.
 
“But hey, have you heard yet?” The tomboy girl poked Kibum’s side.
 
“Heard what?” Kibum jumped in surprise and scooted away.
 
“One of the smartest, prettiest, richest girl asked your blond buddy out.”
 
“Who now?”
 
“Kim Taeyeon.”
 
The name ringed a bell to Kibum. Of course he knows who she is. Everyone does. Kim Taeyeon. A well-respected freshman with athletic skills, good grades, clean records, friendly, kind-hearted, and an amazing singing ability. But to think someone like that would ask Jonghyun out shocked Kibum more. 
 
Sure, Jonghyun got "some” good qualities, but he doesn’t even come close to anywhere near Kim Taeyeon. Kibum couldn’t find the similarity between them at all. 
 
Plus, what is this uncomfortable feeling lurching in his stomach. 
 
Why in the world is he reacting this way? 
 
Must be the hormones. 
 
Yeah. That’s it. The hormones.
 
“Wow. She asked him? Come on. What a joke.” Kibum sneered. 
 
“She did, indeed. Jonghyun ain’t bad dude,” Amber judged. “He’s actually look pretty good and quite a charmer.”
 
“Ew. God, no.”
 
“You just “hate” him too much,” Amber smiled. “Hater.”
 
“He hates me too.”
 
“So how you feeling now? ‘Cause it looked to me like the news made your day ten times worse.”
 
“No it does NOT.” 
 
“Fine,” Amber scowled, giving up for the day. “But watch it. You might be more hurt than you thought.”
 
“You know nothing.”
 
 
 
 
Alright, saying his day did not got ten times worse was an understatement. It got a thousand times worse. Literally, everywhere he goes, kids will be gossiping about the about-to-be-perfect-and-number-one-couple Kim Taeyeon and Kim Jonghyun. And Kim Kibum is annoyed. Extremely. 
 
He’s sick of it.
 
He’s sick of hearing about it.
 
He’s sick of people idolizing it.
 
He’s sick of the thorn-like feelings he get whenever he hears about it.
 
He’s sick of Jonghyun’s stupid happy face all day.
 
Kibum just wanted to go home. The blond is so confused with everything. And it’s weighing him down. 
 
“Why am I like this?” Kibum sighed for the millionth time today. “This never happen before so why now?” 
 
All these unanswered questions are shredding Kibum until there’s no more left of him. He’s kicking the rocks under his feet as he waited for his bus. His head hung low and shoulders drooped tiredly. When he does look up though, an unhappy sight came to slap Kibum across the face.
 
Jonghyun was on the other side, smiling brightly and “lovingly” at Taeyeon. The two walked together while they exchanged dialogues. At some point, Jonghyun laughed and fondly tucked Taeyeon’s hair behind her ear. Teayeon, obviously, blushed madly at the sudden affection. People can tell that she likes Jonghyun a lot. 
 
Kibum continued staring at the oh-so-happy couple as he felt his cheeks burning with a new found jealousy. The blond was so caught up in his emotions that he didn’t even care to deny that he was actually jealous. And he’s obviously is not jealous of Jonghyun but rather of Teayeon. 
 
In a split second, Jonghyun does looked over and his eyes came met Kibum’s. 
 
Kibum held his breath. 
 
Jonghyun maintained their eye contact for a bit and reluctantly returned his full on attention to his ‘date’ next to him. 
 
They both felt something. 
 
They did.
 
Right on time, the bus came and cut off Kibum’s view of Jonghyun. 
 
“Is he not getting on? Why is he still over on that side? He’s not going home?” Kibum muttered unknowingly. 
 
“Hey, kid! Hurry up!” The bus driver shouted. 
 
“Y-yes, sir!” Kibum snapped out of it and get on the bus. 
 
The blond sat next to a window where he can see Jonghyun and Taeyeon. He regretted that decision right after he sat down.
 
Outside, Jonghyun casually intertwined his and Taeyeon’s fingers together. 
 
Kibum’s heart somehow smashed into pieces.