Supposed

Next Door Enemies
 
“Alright,” Jinki cleared his throat. “Today is the day. The day that we have all been working restlessly for. The day that all of our hard work would be paid off, only if it goes right, which it will.”
 
“Obviously,” Amber rolled her eyes and earned a glare from the President. 
 
“Anyways.. Aside from the unneeded interruption, I want to sincerely say that everyone deserves this. SO GET OFF YO ASSESS AND HAVE FUN!” 
 
At the final command from the President, every student who stood there scurried off to their destination of entertainment.
 
And so, the Beginning Festival begins.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Jonghyun ped his leather jacket as he leans against the huge, 
forty-something years old tree as it coolly shadows over the entrance of the school. He’s impatient and irritated. He knew he shouldn’t have come like thirty minutes earlier than planned. But hey, being a gentleman he is, Jonghyun decided to ignore the soaring heat of the setting sun and stand in-waiting for his date. 
 
The blonde is not a person for these kind of things. He didn’t like the atmosphere of crowding bodies of people and loud, blaring noises of excited yells for friends or the too many PDA from one-time-flings eating each other’s faces in some corner or behind the bushes. This festival spelled everything he hated. And more.
 
It has always crossed Jonghyun’s mind since that day at the bus stop. That day that Jonghyun’s stomach did this crazy somersault and left him utterly speechless. It was recent, but it felt like he had felt it for a long time. He knew what it was. Jonghyun knew. He just pushed it to the back of his head, hoping it will never surfaced again. 
 
The unmistakably hurt in Kibum’s eyes when he spotted Jonghyun and Taeyeon drove Jonghyun insane. He could not stop thinking about it.     He honestly felt so embarrassed that he had to make a move to hold Taeyeon’s hand after their contact was broken. Jonghyun didn’t know if Kibum saw that or not.
 
“,” Jonghyun sighed as he ran his fingers through his bleached hair. “Why am I thinking about this now.” 
 
Kim Jonghyun still wants to deny, because that is what he does best, Jonghyun had realized from a long time ago.
 
“Hey.” Taeyeon’s voice invaded Jonghyun’s thoughts.
 
“Hey,” the blonde replied.
 
“Sorry. Did you waited long?” 
 
“No, no, not really. Ready?”
 
“Absolutely. Let’s go. You’re my date now,” Taeyeon winked playfully. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
“I don’t expect you to hang around here,” Yixing huffed a cloud of gray smoke against the air.
 
“And I don’t expect you to make any comments,” Kibum rolled his eyes. “At all.”
 
The Chinese male shrugged. He wasn’t going to push any further since it is very obvious that the petite, sassy blonde isn’t in any kinds of good mood. 
 
Kibum sighed. 
 
Yixing looked over to his friend and quirked an eyebrow. 
 
It was one of those sigh that makes people wonder if you still have desires to be alive. It is a rare sight and Yixing couldn’t help it. The chance was tempting.
 
“Kim Jonghyun?” 
 
“Oh my ing god. Shut the up.”
 
“I mean, ya wanna talk about it?” 
 
“There’s nothing to talk about, Yixing.”
 
“Uhh.. Yes, there is.”
 
“No, there isn’t. Now drop it.”
 
“No can do. You’re too upset and anxious. I could smell it through all these smoke I’m making.”
 
“Ugh. Yixing, leave it alone and shut up.”
 
“Ya know, bottling up feelings might not be such a great idea that you thought.”
 
“Just SHUT UP,” Kibum exploded and was secretly glad that no one was around the radius to hear him. “Please.”
 
There was silence.
 
For awhile.
 
Maybe five seconds. .?
 
“Sorry, Bum. I know we’re not what you can consider as that bull called 'best friends' since it hasn’t been long that we’ve become friends, but believe it or not, you’re the first person that I actually worried for after such a long while of not caring what the everybody else does. What I’m saying is, I’m concern, Kibum. For you. Really. So if there’s anything I can do to help, even if it’s listening, I will. And it seems like you really need it,” Yixing softly confessed.
 
Kibum stared at the foreigner for what could be centuries before closing his mouth and looked off into the distance. The blonde was touched by Yixing’s words.
 
“Well, I consider you as my best friend. . So . . I mean even if you don’t think we’re at that level in our friendship, it’s alright,” the blonde said.
 
“Oh, okay. We’re best friends then,” there’s a tug at the corner of Yixing’s lips. “So let’s do what best friends do. You talk, I listen.” 
 
Another silence.
 
This time, a bit longer than five seconds.
 
Eight seconds.
 
“I.. I don’t know.. It’s weird. I can’t pinpoint what it is, but I know it’s weird. I’m supposed to hate him, Yixing, hate him. But sometimes, somehow, I can’t help but expecting something,” Kibum starts.
 
“What were you expecting?” 
 
“I-I don’t know..”
 
“See, this is your problem. You can’t even cleared out the reason why you hate him. And now you’re just randomly expecting something.”
 
“What the does that even mean?”
 
“It means that you love him, dude."
 
Kibum whipped his head towards Yixing immediately like the Chinese just dropped a nuclear bomb, which he kind of did, metaphorically anyways. The blonde stared at his dark haired friend in utter shock and disbelief at whatever that had smoothly skipping its way out of the latter’s mouth. 
 
“You’re looking at me like I committed a crime,” Yixing scoffed. “Y’all don’t see it, but it’s there, and it is unavoidable.”
 
“I have no ing clue what you’re talking about.”
 
“Whatever,” Yixing rolled his eyes. “Anyways, let’s go and check out that festival you’ve worked so hard on.”
 
“I didn’t . .”
 
“Shut the up and let’s go, Jesus ing Christ.” 
 
Kibum groaned annoyingly, but he proceed to trail behind his friend nonetheless. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Taemin! Come on! This looks really cool!” Minho excitedly laced his fingers with his smaller ‘friend’ as he dragged them towards a done-pretty-decent-job of a haunted house. 
 
“O-okay. .” Taemin’s cheeks were never as red.
 
But then again, when have the tall, handsome, and charming Vice President ever stopped being the reason for Taemin’s flushed and embarrassed crimson cheeks. 
 
The secretary had known Minho, basically, his whole life. They grew up together and are ‘inseparable’, as people liked to label the two’s friendship. Taemin harbored this unspeakable secret, which he confessed to Minho on the first day of Minho’s first year of high school. The smaller male had skipped his seventh grade’s opening ceremony and sneaked into the SM buildings, shyly poured out his heart to his childhood friend. 
 
Minho didn’t say anything. In fact, he showed no reaction whatsoever.
 
That, of course, crushed poor, little Taemin’s heart. 
 
From then on, things were never the same. 
 
The taller male went out his way with his unstoppable teases that kept on tugging at Taemin’s heartstrings. 
 
It felt like there’s no escape from Minho’s stealth and possessive grasp. 
 
Which is right. There isn’t. And Minho made very sure of that. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Strolling through the school’s huge empty lot that’s used for the festival, the now ‘ideal’ couple, JongTaeng, laughed along side each other and seemed to be enjoying quite a good time. At least both of them are until a certain someone caught the attentions of Jonghyun. 
 
Not so far across, Kibum wholeheartedly let out a cheery giggle as he watched his Chinese friend constantly getting sprayed at in a game they're playing.
 
Jonghyun unconsciously felt the urge to run over and drag Kibum away from Yixing. 
 
Because he hates it.
 
He hates the fact that now, Kibum doesn’t pay as much attention to him like before.
 
He hates the fact that Yixing came into the picture and easily stole Kibum’s concerns.
 
He hates the fact that he’s aware of all this.
 
Jonghyun for sure is aware that he is being replaced by someone else.
 
Except.
 
The person who replaced Jonghyun is someone Kibum actually likes, not hate.
 
“Hey,” Taeyeon worriedly whispers as he gently placed her delicate hand on her date’s tensed arm. “Are you okay?”
 
“Hmmm?” Jonghyun directs his eyes on Taeyeon.
 
“Is something wrong?” She softly asked, afraid that Jonghyun suddenly felt uncomfortable and isn’t having fun. 
 
“No..”
 
“Are you sure? We can go sit down somewhere if you’re tired. I mean-“
 
“It’s okay,” Jonghyun affirmed. “I’m fine. Really.”
 
Taeyeon had doubt in her eyes, Jonghyun noticed. But who could blame her. She’s right to be doubting Jonghyun, because he wasn’t okay. There’s no way that he’s okay. No ing way. 
 
The blonde’s hands curled into tight fists against his sides. He couldn’t take it anymore. He couldn’t deny it anymore. The more he’s holding in, the more pain it’s causing him. Jonghyun just wants to let go. 
 
Jonghyun wants-
 
“Hey,” The angered blonde heartlessly left his lady’s side without a second thought as he charged head on towards the other blonde, who’s still having fun messing with his friend. “Would you two stop grinning at each other like y’all ing in love? It’s ing making me sick.”