Inseparable

Next Door Enemies
-
 
 
 
Alright. What ever happened that night was not such an ideal experience. News spread like wildfire all over the entire student body. Not good news. Bad news.
 
One of the “twin” poured his heart out in a deep confession, but the other “twin” freaked out so bad that he took off running like his life was depended on it. By now, Jonghyun could just die from embarrassment or maybe he’ll book a ticket to Antartica and stay there for the rest of his goddamned life. At least there’s a sweet chance the polar bears and penguins wouldn’t run away like Kibum did. 
 
Adding on to that horrible result of that confession, Jonghyun’s reputation dug itself a grave fifteen feet deep underground. There’s so much hate for the blond since he left the cutest girl of the school in the cold, all while Jongyun silently make his way back home in the bitterness of rejection. Like, who the does that?
 
Kim Jonghyun became the most hated and pitied person in school in just one night. How have “good” life been treating him.
 
“Oh, my ing God,” Jonghyun groaned as he slammed his head against the wooden table.
 
“Wow.. You’re miserable,” Minho winced.
 
“Of ing course I am.”
 
“Must realllly  to be you, bud,” Chanyeol sighed at the sight of a poor blond boy.  
 
“My whole ing life , okay? You don’t have to ing rub it in my face, you .”
 
“Woah woah woah, chill with the language there,” Chanyeol raised both his arms as if he’s in surrender.
 
Minho softly chuckled and patted Jonghyun’s slumped over back. Jonghyun sighed heavily for the millionth time today. Nothing is getting better. 
 
Kibum wasn’t at school today. And Jonghyun was genuinely worried. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
In no rush to go anywhere or do anything, Kibum tiredly dragged himself off of his comfortable bed and into the bathroom. He took a quick shower and dressed in new sleeping clothes, which is a plain T-shirt and baggy sweatpants. He made his way down the kitchen, planning on fixing himself some breakfast. 
 
The blond convincingly talked his parents that he caught the cold from last night’s event and probably won’t be able to make it to school today. Complete bull, but hey, whatever works. At least he’s home alone and get to sleep in for a bit. 
 
At least he won’t have to face Jonghyun. 
 
Kibum sighed at the thought. Honestly, he still wasn’t sure what had happened. Was it some kind of joke? Was it a bet that Jonghyun lost? Because there’s no ing way Kim Jonghyun would straight out confess to someone he wants to kill. 
 
“Everything is ed up,” Kibum muttered as he stuffed rice into his mouth. 
 
After breakfast, Kibum cleaned up and plopped himself down the couch. From what had happened last night, Kibum could care less about his perfect attendance and makeup works right now. He just wanted to rest and collect his thoughts.
 
There wasn’t much to think though. Jonghyun loves him. Love. Such a strong word. Yet it rolled out of Jonghyun’s mouth like it’s nothing at all. Like Jonghyun have been wanting to say that all his life. 
 
Because of this stupid rivalry, their feelings were kept apart for the longest time. All they needed was a little ‘push’. 
 
“What am I going to do now..”
 
 
 
 
 
 
Walking passed a group of emotionally unstable teenagers, Jonghyun tensed his shoulders even more. Rarely anyone walk near this side of the school. It’s dangerous in all kind of levels. 
 
But Jonghyun is desperate, so the cutting-through-skin atmosphere won’t hurt much. Not as much as what had happened anyways. 
 
“Well, well, well,” a deep, hoarse voice creeped up behind Jonghyun. “Isn’t it the infamous ‘Loser’ of the town?” 
 
Jonghyun cringed at the nickname, “How the hell did I succumbed to this?”
 
“I don’t know, man, but you’ve been very popular,” Yixing chuckled. “I pity you.”
 
“Shut up,” Jonghyun groaned for probably the millionth time today. 
 
“If I shut up, you won’t get what you came for.”
 
Jonghyun blushed and lowered his head, trying to hide his redden cheeks, obviously. 
 
“Ki is at home. He just called me.”
 
“Ki?”
 
“Yeah, Ki,” Yixing rolled his eyes. “I can call him whatever the hell I want.”
 
The blonde pursed his lips. There’s no point in arguing or getting angry right now. Everything is pointless. 
 
“Um.. Okay.. Thanks, I guess..”
 
“No problem. You’re my best friend’s future boyfriend, so we might as well should get along, right?”
 
“W-w-what? Wh-what are you t-talking about? B-boy-boyfriend? W-who?” Jonghyun helplessly stammered on his words. 
 
The Chinese bursted out laughing at the Korean’s ridiculous reaction. Jonghyun bit his lower lips in embarrassment, silently wishing a hole would somehow appear so he can dive in it and never resurface. Yixing shook his head as he still crackling like mad. This whole situation is so hilarious. 
 
“Stop that,” Jonghyun sighed. 
 
“O-okay.. Hahaha..” Yixing finally calmed down.
 
“It’s not even that funny. The whole ing school hates me,” Jonghyun scoffed.
 
“Hey, good luck,” Yixing patted Jonghyun’s back. “You probably wouldn’t need it, but there it is anyways.”
 
“Thank you. I appreciate.”
 
“Again, no problem.”
 
“Alright. See you around?”
 
“Yes, definitely, especially when the love of your life likes to follow me,” Kibum winked. 
 
“He’s not-“
 
“Yes, he is.”
 
“Whatever.”
 
Jonghyun was already a couple of steps away until he turned back quickly. 
 
“Hey, Yixing?” 
 
“Yeah, what’s up?” Yixing responded.
 
“I-I.. Um.. I just want to thank you.. For being there for Kibum,” Jonghyun said. “I’m an and I made his life a living hell. He doesn’t deserve someone like me., but he needs someone like you in his life. So thank you.”
 
“Anytime,” Yixing smiled softly. “I need someone like Kibum as well.”
 
The blonde smiled back and turned to walk away. Yixing watched Jonghyun’s back and sighed tiredly while lightly shaking his head. 
 
Making his way back to his classroom since lunch break was over, Jonghyun bumped into Taeyeon who looked completely shocked. 
 
“J-Jonghyun..”
 
“Taeyeon, hey,” Jonghyun started, taking this opportunity to clear things between them. “I’m really sor-“
 
“N-no. It’s okay,” Taeyeon nervously cracked a smile. 
 
“No, it’s not okay. Last night. I shouldn’t have done that. I was being a and left you alone like that. I ed up. I’m sorry. Really sorry, Taeyeon. I didn’t mean to leave you, I was just… I was just… I don’t know… I-“
 
“Heartbroken,” Taeyeon finished for Jonghyun. 
 
“What?”
 
“You were just heartbroken. I know, because I felt the same. But it’s okay. I understand. It’s not your fault, Jonghyun,” Taeyeon smiled sincerely, this time. 
 
Jonghyun was speechless. How dare he. How dare he broke an angel’s heart. How dare he hurt her like that. How dare he for selfishly curled up in his own rejection and not paid any attention to other’s feelings. 
 
“I’m.. I’m sorry,” Jonghyun said quietly, feeling guilt creeping up his spine. 
 
“I’m sorry, too. About Kibum. But I’m fine, so you can let it go.”
 
“Really?”
 
“Yes, really. I just think you deserve to be happy, you know.”
 
“No, I don’t know. ‘Cause I don’t deserve happiness.”
 
“That’s not true. Everyone deserve to be happy.” 
 
Jonghyun smiled at Taeyeon’s words. He felt like an idiot. Taeyeon is taking this very calmly, or so Jonghyun thought anyways. 
 
“Thank you, Taeyeon.”
 
“It’s nothing, really.”
 
“By the way, I want you to know that the time I spent with you had been great, so thank you for that, too.”
 
“Same. I’ve had a fun time,” Taeyeon smiled sweetly.
 
They stood there in the middle of the hallway, silently looking into each other eyes as if they’re sharing a moment of understandings. They’re both, regardless, very grateful towards each other.
 
“Just so you know,” Taeyeon said. “The other day, at the bus stop, I don’t know if you know, but the look Kibum gave us kind of scared me a bit.”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“His eyes were so passionate and filled with hurt that I suddenly felt like I was the person who murdered his parents. It’s incredible. The amount of emotions he held within his eyes alone.” 
 
“W-what-“
 
“What I mean is, you don’t need the good luck,” Taeyeon pulled Jonghyun into a friendly and comforting hug. “Because luck has been on your side from the very beginning, Kim Jonghyun.”
 
 
 
 
 
 
An unexpected ring at the door woke Kibum from his nap. The blonde lazily dragged his body off his bed and slowly make his way downstairs. It’s too early for his parents to be home from work. And plus, they’ll have the keys anyways. So either was this a delivery of some sort or Yang Yixing. 
 
Kibum unlocked his door and pulled open. 
 
Oh, it’s neither.  
 
It’s Kim Jonghyun.
 
“Hey…”
 
Before Jonghyun could even utter his next word, Kibum quickly slammed the door shut. 
 
“Oh my ing God. Please,” Kibum breathed heavily as he grabbed the fabric in front of his beating heart. “Please tell me that I’m ing dreaming right now.”
 
No, it’s not a ing dream, dammit. 
 
“Okay. You can do this, Kibum. It’s okay. Just breathe. Everything will be fine.”
 
Counting to three slowly, Kibum mentally and emotionally prepared himself. 
 
Jonghyun, on the other side, patiently waited for Kibum. 
 
The door opened once again. 
 
“H-hey.. Uh.. Jonghyun..” 
 
“Can I come in? It’s pretty cold out here.”
 
“NO! I-I mean I think we’re f-fine here..”
 
“I promise I won’t try anything, so trust me.”
 
Kibum found it awfully funny at Jonghyun’s ‘trust me’. Like they’ve been bitting each other’s asses off these pass years, so how the hell are they supposed to “trust” each other.
 
But Kibum has personal principles, and leaving Jonghyun out in the cold goes against whatever the hell he believed for. Thus, he moved aside and open the door wider for Jonghyun. 
 
The two blondes are now awkwardly inside where the warm heater consumes the place. Nice and cozy. 
 
“Um.. Do you want anything to drink..?” Kibum attempted offering.
 
“No, it’s alright,” Jonghyun smiled. “This won’t take long.” 
 
Slightly nodding, Kibum headed to the kitchen anyways. He returned with two cups of hot chocolate couple of minutes later. Kibum placed one on the table in front of Jonghyun to which the mentioned male gratefully nodded with a ‘thank you’ smile. 
 
“So..” Kibum broke the silence.
 
“Uh.. You weren’t at school today, so I was just.. Uh.. Dropping by to check up..?”
 
“Oh.. Yeah.. I wasn’t at school..”
 
“Why?”
 
“Hmm?”
 
“Why didn’t you come? I thought attendance and not-being-behind are important to you?”
 
“I.. I.. I don’t know.. I just didn’t feel like coming.”
 
“Is it.. Is it because of me?”
 
Kibum almost spit out his hot chocolate at the straightforwardness of Jonghyun’s question. Jesus ing Christ. All of a sudden?
 
“Wh-what.. No. That’s not the reason..”
 
“Don’t lie, Kibum. I know you’re uncomfortable.”
 
“I’m-I’M NOT.”
 
Okay. That respond came out a bit too loud regarding how soft toned is this conversation. Kibum couldn’t help but lowered his head in embarrassment. 
 
“Listen. I’m sorry, okay? Now that I think about it, I shouldn’t have even confess in the first place, alright? But I couldn’t help it. It’s like something was clawing inside of me for bottling of my one-sided feelings. And it hurts. It hurts so much. I.. I didn’t know what to do. All I knew was that if I ing tell you how I feel, I’d probably feel better, somewhat. I don’t know. This whole bull isn’t supposed to happen,” Jonghyun bitterly looked at Kibum who’s trying to avoid the other blonde’s intense gaze. 
 
“Bull? So you think all of this is bull? Is that what you’re saying?”
 
“No, no, no, no. That’s not my point. But why does it matter? Why does it matter when you’re just going to look away and ignore me? Why?”
 
“You’re selfish, Kim Jonghyun,” Kibum’s conscience forced him to face Jonghyun. “I don’t know what the you’re thinking, but you’re selfish. Why don’t you consider other people’s feelings first for a change?” 
 
Kibum doesn’t know why. But he’s angry. And extremely frustrated. At Jonghyun. And at Kibum’s own emotions.
 
“Ki-“
 
“You know what? I don’t even know why I’m all cooped up in my goddamned room, agonizing over your stupid confession, when you’re over here, thinking all this don’t matter. WHY THE AM I EVEN WASTING MY TIME ON YOU? You’re a selfish, inconsiderate son of a .”
 
“Kibum, that’s not-“
 
“Shut the up. I’m not done,” Kibum set his cup down and glared at Jonghyun. “I ing hate you okay? All these ing years, you’ve made my life like a living hell. And I don’t even ing know why we started this childish war anyways. But you see, Jonghyun, you never grow the up. Why you have to be like this? Why? We were ing fine, hating each other, so why the did you have to make this whole ing thing so ing complicated? Why did you suddenly confessed like it’s an everyday thing? Why did you suddenly give me more feelings than hate? Why the did you change? Things were perfect the way they were. So why-“
 
“THEN WHAT THE DO YOU WANT ME TO DO?!” Jonghyun snapped.
 
They’re both up on the feet now, breathless and furious. Adrenaline pumping through their veins like crazy. 
 
“YOU’RE NOT LISTEN, KIBUM. WHY DON’T YOU JUST ING LISTEN.”
 
“AM NOT LISTENING? Okay. WHY THE HELL SHOULD I LISTEN TO YOU?”
 
“Because you’re misunderstanding and I’m tired as , so ing listen,” Jonghyun sighed in exasperation. “Please, just listen.”
 
“I’ve listened enough. I don’t want to listen anymore-“
 
“Kibum, please-“
 
“-I don’t care anymore. Do whatever the you want. I don’t even ing know what to do anymore. I don’t ing know why am acting this way. I don’t ing know why I felt horrible whenever I happen to see you laughing with her. I don’t even ing know why I was expecting some cheesy to happen when you showed up at my doorstep with a bouquet of flowers. I don’t ing know why I cried out of this pang in my chest when you suddenly lashed out at me and left. I don’t even know why I’m feeling like this. Why are you doing this to me? I thought you said you wouldn’t make my life painful anymore. I thought you said you’ll make up for every ing heartless thing you’ve done. I thought-“
 
Kibum was cut off by a pair of foreign lips pressed against his own. It was a brief kiss. About three seconds or so. But for them, it felt like an eternity. 
 
Jonghyun pulled away but still kept the close distance between them. He stared lovingly at Kibum’s widen brown orbs. 
 
“I’ll let you know why,” Jonghyun said, barely a whisper. “And I’ll make it all up, because all I want to see right now and forever, is a smile on your face.”
 
Kibum his lips nervously. What the just happened? 
 
“If you hate me,” Jonghyun’s leaned in again, his breath evenly felt against Kibum’s lips. “Push me away. Because if you don’t, I’ll make sure to never let you go.”
 
Their lips met again. This time more sweetly and laced with unspoken confessions. Kibum didn’t hesitate when he closed his eyes and wrapped his arms around his enemy’s neck to pull him closer, melting and falling deeply into their now shared paradise. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
---
 
 
AUTHOR'S NOTE: Hello, my beautiful readers~ Thank you for enduring on this long (VERY LONG lol consider I went on hiatus for two years) journey with me. Next chapter will probably be the last chapter, unless I decided to drag it out for another one before rightfully ending it. Thank you for showing this fic love even though it probably doesn't deserve sometimes.. Thank you for putting up with my lazy and patiently waiting for something that's probably not worth your time and effort anyways. I've improved so much as a writer because of y'all loving support. Thank you so much for being part of my life (lol this chessy as I can't even). Anyways, I'll see y'all when this ends. ^_^ Thank you~ And enjoy~