Welcome Home, Enemy

Next Door Enemies
 
Jonghyun checks and readies himself one more time, before he proceeds to open the door of his brand new, shiny, latest model, onyx black car. It’s a special night for him. A huge night for him. 
 
How it has been going was… 
 
Well, they both graduated from SM, not with their close friends since everyone was older than the two originally blonds anyways. But they did graduated together, hand in hand, grinning from ear to ear. 
 
See, high school was amazing for them. They’re always together and never fought, not even once. The news of the two enemies somehow ended up together shocked so many people, with the exception of a few such as Amber and Yixing. People were surprisingly pretty supportive since everyone been shipping Kibum with Jonghyun anyways, so there’s that. At first, Jonghyun was madly suspicious about Yixing and refused to let Kibum strayed away from his sight. But then, couple of conversations with the Chinese male, Jonghyun came to the conclusion that Yixing is a person who can take care of his dear boyfriend if he happens to not be around. Yixing scoffed at that. 
 
Oh, many things happened during high school. Byun Baekhyun and Park Chanyeol went on a little date and the next morning, Baekhyun had love bites all over his neck. It doesn’t take a smart person to know what went down between the cute dwarf and the goofy giant. Jinki and Taeyeon got together, although their relationship was a complicated one. Always on and off. But they’re both pretty compatibly in love so that’s okay.  Unfortunately, Minho and Taemin didn’t work out as high school continues on. Jonghyun knows something from Minho, but he rather not get tangled in that mess. Those two can work something out in the future, hopefully (they did, by the way, and now they’re touring the world together). 
 
High school ended in a breeze. Jonghyun was never as happy. Kibum was never as happy. They’re happy that they finally found each other after so long. All the pranks they used to pull on each other are now jokes that they recall after a lazy make out session. 
 
They belong to each other’s. Kim Jonghyun is Kibum’s. Kim Kibum is Jonghyun’s. 
 
And.. Then… College rolls around like a hailstorm. 
 
They, Kibum and Jonghyun, managed a long distance relationship after their high school graduation. Kibum went off to study abroad at Columbia University in New York, U.S.A., while Jonghyun stayed back and attended Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology. In all honesty, it was a difficult period for the both of them. It’s also the time when they would have the most arguments about not seeing each other enough and that the distance is killing them. However, at the end of it, Kibum would cry in front of his laptop’s camera and rambles on and on about how much he misses his boyfriend. And Jonghyun would silently listen as he wished he could reach into his ty, old laptop and over to Kibum to wipe the male’s beautiful tears. 
 
Although they only get to see each other like once, or twice a year if they’re lucky enough, nothing stopped them from loving each other more and more as each day pass, without being by each other’s sides. 
 
But there are times when Jonghyun had to break the news to his beloved boyfriend that they can’t meet up because Jonghyun won’t be home. He was going on a family trip. Of course, Kibum casually brushed it off with the usual ‘it’s okay, I’ll just walk around Seoul with Yixing’, to which Jonghyun bitterly smiled. They would talk with each other for a bit more until Jonghyun’s parents decided, after a long battle of hesitance, to interrupt and apologized to Kibum and how bad they felt because they’re robbing his boyfriend from him. Kibum just laughed wholeheartedly and told them not to worry about it. Then, Jonghyun would kick his parents out of his room so he can continue chatting with his lonely boyfriend. The old couple gladly complied. 
 
Yixing and Kibum did walked around Seoul together. They soon stopped at a bar. That’s where Kibum broke down as he drunkenly clung onto to Yixing’s leather jacket. Being a great best friend, Yixing held Kibum tightly against his chest. The Chinese male would take his Korean friend home and tuck him into his bed. Obviously, Yixing wouldn’t just leave Kibum alone, so he decided to make himself comfortable on Kibum’s couch and fell asleep. 
 
It went by like that and the couple couldn’t see each other again for at least another year. College became hell. Both were so busy in preparation for their degree that sometimes they went through months without hearing each other’s voices or seeing each other’s faces through Skype. But they managed. They tried. They fought so hard for their relationship. And it was exhausting. Kibum wanted to give up at some point, but Jonghyun encourages him that they can go through this, that they’re stronger than this. 
 
Jonghyun never gave encouragements to save their crashing relationship without having wet, fat drops of water leaking from the corners of his eyes and rolling silently down his cheeks. 
 
Finally, that day came. The day when Kibum graduated with a PhD in cardiovascular surgery. The day when Jonghyun graduated with a Master’s in chemical engineering. 
 
Undeniably, Jonghyun immediately had a huge job offer from one of the biggest corporations in Korea. He was so excited about it. 
 
Kibum, on the other hand, revealed the ‘secret’ news to Jonghyun.
 
At first, Jonghyun couldn’t believe what he was hearing. 
 
,” The, now brunette, chemical engineer cursed quietly. “Seriously?”
 
“Yes, seriously, babe,” Kibum, the black haired, petite doctor with dark and heavy rimmed glasses, smiled softly. “I’m being reassigned.”
 
“Kibum,” Jonghyun breathes. 
 
“I’m coming home.”
 
 
 
 
 
 
It’s been two years since Jonghyun picked Kibum up at Incheon International Airport. It’s been two years since Jonghyun cried happily on Kibum’s shoulder while having his boyfriend’s warm arms wrapped securely around him. It’s been two years since Jonghyun carried Kibum’s luggages into the penthouse that Jonghyun bought for the two of them. It’s been two year since they get to sleep in each other’s embraces after waiting for such a long ing time. 
 
It’s been two years since they started their lives together. 
 
And now, it’s time. 
 
He’s really going to do this. 
 
Jonghyun is really going to do this because he can’t imagine a life without his Kibum in it.
 
Weakly punching the code of the penthouse, Jonghyun sighed heavily.
 
“Welcome home, babe!” Kibum greeted as soon as the door opened.
 
“I’m home,” Jonghyun mumbled under his breath.
 
Kibum looked at his tired boyfriend and smiled. The doctor reached out and cupped Jonghyun’s cheeks and delivered a sweet, gentle kiss upon Jonghyun’s chapped lips. 
 
“Long day, huh?” 
 
“Yeah.. Very.. Very.. Long day..”
 
“Hmm. How ‘bout you go take a warm shower and come join me for dinner.”
 
“Okay.. I.. Uh.. I’ll go do that.”
 
“Don’t fall asleep in there!”
 
Jonghyun heard Kibum yells before he closed the door of the bathroom and quickly removed his clothes to step into the shower. 
 
A lot of thoughts had ran through the brunette’s head as the lukewarm water hits his skin lightly. How is he going to do this?
 
“DON’T FALL ASLEEP, BABY!” Kibum called.
 
Jonghyun snapped out of his thoughts and hastily finish showering. He changed into something comfortable for the night and headed towards the kitchen where Kibum patiently waits. 
 
Dinner was quiet. It’s normally pretty quiet anyways. A nice, relaxing silence. But Kibum couldn’t help but felt like something’s off.
 
“Jonghyun,” Kibum starts. “Are you sure you’re okay?”
 
The brunette immediately turned his head towards the direction of his called name. “Yes. Why wouldn’t I be?”
 
“I don’t know. You seem awfully quiet today and a bit edgy.”
 
“I told you. It’s been a very long day.”
 
“Project due?”
 
“Hmm. Something like that.”
 
Then it was the silence again. They carried on eating. Once in awhile Jonghyun would compliment on how good Kibum’s food are. But that was it. No more sentences were exchanged. After dinner, Jonghyun did the dishes while Kibum sat on the couch and stared at his lover’s back. When Jonghyun was done, he made two cups of tea and proceed slowly towards the couch.
 
“Thank you,” Kibum said as he took one cup from Jonghyun.
 
Jonghyun sat down next to Kibum with the other cup in one hand. Kibum waited until his boyfriend was all settled down before leaning in and rested his head on Jonghyun’s shoulder. Jonghyun turned sideway a bit and planted a light kiss on the crown of Kibum’s head. 
 
They stayed like that for awhile. Just enjoying each other’s presence as they sips on tea. Feeling pressured, Jonghyun attempted at breaking the ice. 
 
“So, how was work?”
 
“Tiring, like normal. Too many people who needed heart transplants today. My senior felt so bad, so she sent me home early.”
 
“Aren’t you glad you’re saving people.”
 
“Yeah, I guess. It warms my heart.”
 
Kibum chuckled lightly at his corny statement and Jonghyun followed after, happy to hear his lover’s cheerful tone. 
 
“Okay. How was work for you?”
 
“Usual. Projects. Boring. Deadlines. Blah. Blah. Blah. All that good .”
 
Kibum laughed. Jonghyun watched Kibum for a few seconds before bursting out laughing, too. 
 
Their laughter gently dies down as they snuggled against each other.
 
“Baby, you look so drained,” Jonghyun winced as he reached up and took off Kibum’s glasses. 
 
“Ha. Funny,” Kibum scoffed. “Said the person who came in like one of those zombies from 'The Walking Dead’. Did you not look at yourself in the mirror before shower, sweetheart?” 
 
“Anddddd you could still somehow sass the out of me,” Jonghyun rolled his eyes.
 
Kibum giggled and kissed Jonghyun’s cheek. “I love you, too, honey.” 
 
Jonghyun visibly stiffen at that. So Kibum just called him ‘honey’ and it’s externally freaking him out. What’s going to happen now? How is this going to play out?
 
“Hey, hey, hey. Are you okay?” Kibum withdrew himself from Jonghyun’s chest and worriedly checking the brunette’s facial complex. 
 
“Y-yeah… Uh. . Um.. I’m fine as a duck..” 
 
Okay. That was a horrible comparison. 
 
Kibum quirked an eyebrow skeptically. Jonghyun swallowed. This ain’t good. 
 
“I mean I’m perfectly fine, babe,” Jonghyun quickly fixed himself. “Per-fect-ly fine.”
 
“No, you’re not.” 
 
“Yes, I am.”
 
Kibum sighed. The doctor isn’t in a mood for a childish exchange of ‘yes’ and ‘no’. Instead, Kibum stood up and retreated into their shared bedroom. Jonghyun nervously watched his boyfriend. 
 
. Did I made him mad,” the engineer mumbled to himself. 
 
After a long period of pondering over his life choices, Jonghyun decided to follow Kibum into the bedroom. 
 
As soon as Jonghyun opened the door, he saw Kibum sat on their bed with a box resting in his palms. Jonghyun swallowed. 
 
Kibum noticed his boyfriend at the door and looked up from his hands. He signaled for Jonghyun to come and join him on the bed, to which Jonghyun complies. Kibum then held Jonghyun’s left hand and proceed to gaze into the brunette’s astonished eyes. 
 
“I love you,” Kibum said. “I love you so much that I will literally give up anything and everything for you. I love every single thing about you even if they annoys me sometimes, but I still love you. I love your smile; I love the way your lips curved perfectly upwards whenever I said some lame joke. I love your eyes; I love the way they lightly sparkled whenever they meet mines. I love your voice; I love the way you softly sing to cheer me up whenever I’m upset with the world. I love your hands; I love how they fit perfectly around mines and how warm they are. I love it when we’re together, wether it’s making love or having dinner, I treasure every moment.”
 
“Kibum.. This.. You can’t-“
 
“I want to be with you forever. I want you to be mines forever,” Kibum removed himself from the bed and went on his knees in front of his lover. “Kim Jonghyun, do this honorable and one-in-a-lifetime favor and marry me.”
 
Jonghyun’s breath was taken away at the sight. Kibum is kneeling beautifully in front of Jonghyun with an opened velvet box, revealing a gorgeous white band. Jonghyun was too shock to even react probably. And Kibum was so sure that Jonghyun will say “yes” and they’ll happily each other until the sun rises, but the expression on Jonghyun’s face right now is unreadable, which worries Kibum.
 
“Jonghyun, if this counts as rejection-“
 
“NO!”
 
“What-“
 
“I.. Uh.. Sorry to scare you.. I mean no, I’m not rejecting you,” Jonghyun blushed. “I couldn't and will never. It’s just..”
 
“What’s wrong, babe?” Kibum patiently asked for maybe the hundredth time that night. 
 
“N-nothing.. I.. Just..” Jonghyun avoided Kibum’s piercing gaze.
 
“Something is wrong and I wasn’t going to push it, but I’ve just wholeheartedly purposed to you, and this is the bull you’re giving me.”
 
“Ki-“
 
“Just ing tell me what is wrong! Do you not trust me anymore? Why are you trying so ing hard to hide whatever the that you’re hiding?” Kibum looked at him, tears b on his tired eyes.
 
He’s so frustrated. So ing frustrated. 
 
Jonghyun softly smiled and stood up from the bed. Kibum was confused, but Jonghyun just smiled again before he walked out of their room. Kibum kneeled there, playing with the box as he waited for Jonghyun to come back in. When the Jonghyun came back, an identical box like Kibum rested nervously in the palm of Jonghyun. 
 
Kibum noticed and gasped. Jonghyun chuckled and proceed to where his boyfriend is kneeling. Jonghyun, too, kneeled one knee in front of Kibum.
 
This was what I was so desperately hiding,” the brunette took his lover’s left hand and placed a tender kiss on top of it. “I was so ing nervous. I didn’t know what to do, worse, how to do this correctly. However, with the knowledge of you proposing just minutes ago, I know I have the best chance. Baby, you know what’s different from my proposal to yours?”
 
“Mines was pretty well prepared.” 
 
Jonghyun laughed, “Well, yes, yours was, but the real difference here is that I’m not going to give a whole long speech about how my body parts fit perfectly with yours; I’ll just simply do this.”
 
Jonghyun leaned in and kissed Kibum, “I love you. And I want you to walk with me ’til the end of this goddamn life.”
 
“Of course I’ll walk with you,” Kibum smiled into the kiss. “Wherever you want to go, I’ll go with you. And I’ll make sure that I’ll love the out of you, my beautiful prince.”
 
“You always say cheesy ,” Jonghyun pulled away and Kibum’s cheek with his freed hand. 
 
“You love it, so don’t complain, dear.”
 
“Yes, yes, I do. In fact, I love everything about you.”
 
“I’m glad our feelings are mutual,” Kibum smiled fondly at his fiancé before pulling Jonghyun’s shirt for another sweet kiss. 
 
That night, the two exchanged rings and lay in each other’s arms as day went through their childhood together. They laughed and had a good time teasing one another. Dawn was when they wished each other ‘good night’ and softly whispered ‘I love you’ as sleep swept over. Who cares about work at this point. They can always call in for a day off. Right now, the only important thing is the intertwined fingers of two people who built true love from hate. Right now, the only thing that matters is the warm, homey feelings of two passionate lovers who found happiness only when they’re together.