Breaking up and starting over

Can Love conquer all

---At the park---

You are shifting from foot to foot, waiting for Youngjae to arrive. Himchan notices your nervousness and makes you sit down on the bench. Within a few minutes, Youngjae arrives.

 You: “*standing up* Jae!”

Youngjae: “*coming over to you and hugging you* What’s up baby?”

You: “*turning to Himchan* Channie, can you give us a minute?”

Himchan nods and goes over to some kids who are drawing with chalk and starts to draw elaborate designs on the ground.

You: “*turning back to Youngjae* We need to talk.”

Youngjae: ‘*sitting on the bench and gesturing for you to sit next to him* What’s wrong, babe?”

You: “*fiddling with your engagement ring* Youngjae, I have been thinking about this for a few weeks but I feel like….like….*you take a deep breath* I feel like we are not meant for each other. *taking off your engagement ring and handing it to Youngjae who stares at it in disbelief* We should call off the engagement.”

Youngjae: “*tears forming at the corners of his eyes* Wae? Bwoh? Wae? You don’t love me anymore?”

You: “*avoiding his eyes with everything you’ve got* Not like I used to.”

Youngjae: “*tears streaming down his flawless face* Then who do you love?”

You: “*standing up* It doesn’t matter. *turning towards Himchan* Channie, can we go home. *turning back to Youngjae* I’ll go get some of my stuff. I’ll send Yong Guk or Jongup over later to get the rest.”

Himchan: “*putting an arm around your waist* Let’s go.”

You: “*looking at Youngjae as the tears stream down his face* Goodbye Youngjae.”

You walked away, leaving him standing there in tears. You wanted to turn back and hug him as the image of his tear-streaked cheeks and blood shot eyes flashes before your eyes every time you blink. You could hear your heart shattering as your hear his shuffling feet walking away. You knew this was for the best but why do you feel like you made the wrong choice?

You head to the apartment you and Youngjae share to get your things. You pack up your car and head to Himchan’s house. On your way there, you call Madam Yoo and tell her that the engagement is off. You soon arrive at Himchan’s house and you begin to unpack. After you are done unpacking, you head straight to bed.

---1 ½ years later---

It’s your college graduation. You graduate with honors. You are hanging out with Daehyun, Yong Guk and his friends after the ceremony.

BYG: “*wrapping an arm around your waist* Where’s Himchan?”

You: “*moving away from him* I didn’t invite him.”

Jongup: “*nonchalantly leaning on a table* Trouble in paradise?”

You: “*ignoring him* Did anyone else see the banner that Mr. Wu drew?”

Luhan: “*chuckling* Yeah, someone should tell him to stick to teaching art.”

Youngjae: “*walking up to the group* Hey guys.”

Tao: “*wrapping an arm around the boy’s shoulders* Youngjae, how have you been?”

Luhan: “*pulling the boy into a headlock* We thought you died.”

Youngjae: “*getting out of the headlock* I’m fine, Tao and Luhan as you can see I am very much alive.”

BYG: “*smiling at the boy* So, what are your plans now?”

Youngjae: “I’m going to travel a little and then maybe open up a gallery. *turning to you* (Y/N), can I talk to you for a minute?”

You nod and follow Youngjae to a secluded part of the campus. Youngjae stops and stares into the distance.

You: “*placing a hand on Youngjae’s arm* Youngjae?”

What happens next you did not see coming. Youngjae whips around and kisses you hungrily. You respond to the kiss immediately. After a few minutes, you both separate for air.

Youngjae: “*panting and blushing a light shade of pink* Sorry. *looking down at his feet* I just missed you so much.”

You: “*smiling and lifting the boy’s face up to look at you* I missed you too Jae. *pecking him on the lips* More than you could ever know.”

Youngjae: “*staring at you wide-eyed* Jinjja?”

You: “*nodding* Jinjja. *sitting down under a tree nearby* What did you want to talk to me about?”

Youngjae: “*walking over to you and sitting down* I… *staring into the distance* I know why you called off the engagement. *stare at the boy shocked* I overheard my mom talking to Kai. I didn’t want to believe it at first. *dropping his head into his hands* I am so sorry she did that to you. And I am even sorrier that Zelo had to go through that. *shaking his head in his hands* I can’t believe she used my childhood friend to make you leave me. I…”

You: “*jumping up* You know Kai? *Youngjae looks up at you and nods* You know him?”

Youngjae: “*looking away from you* Yeah. We grew up together. I told him about our engagement as soon as we got back from my parent’s house. *running his hands over his face* I can’t believe he did that and he knew what you meant to me.”

You: “*putting a hand on Youngjae’s shoulder* Is that all you want to tell me? That you knew why I called off the engagement? That you were sorry? That you know Kai?”

Youngjae: “*slowly standing up in front of you* That’s not all. *taking a necklace from inside his shirt and handing it to you* I want to give you this. *you see that the necklace holds your engagement ring from a year ago* I was hoping you would want to start over.”

You: “*look at the ring as tears start to make your eyes glisten in the sunlight* Jae? *a single tear slides down your cheek* I would love to pick up where we left off but I don’t think I can go through what I went through before.”

Youngjae: “*pulling you into a hug* You don’t have to worry about that. *you pull away from the hug to look into Youngjae’s eyes* I told my mom that I didn’t need her or my family if she wasn’t going to let me love who I wanted to love. *you blink at him confused* She said that she didn’t want to lose her son so she gave in.”

You: “*a huge smile breaks out across your face and you throw your arms around Youngjae’s neck* Jae! I would marry you today if I could. *pulling away from the boy who is now grinning* Yoo Youngjae will you marry me?”

Youngjae: “*chuckling* That’s my line but yes.”

You grab Youngjae’s hand and run towards the group.

You: “*arriving at the group* Guys, Youngjae and I are getting back together.”

You are so excited about the news and being back with Youngjae that you forget you are dating Himchan who is standing next to Luhan who is trying to stifle a giggle. You also fail to notice Tao and Rap Monster face-palming themselves and Yong Guk silently laughing.

Jongup: “*separating you and Youngjae’s hands* (Y/N), looks like Himchan decided to stop by and wish his girlfriend a happy graduation. *pointing to Himchan*”

You: “*blink at the boy before looking in the direction he is pointing* H-Himchan. What are you doing here? I thought you were busy.”

Himchan: “*annoyance fully evident in his voice* No, I took the day off so we could spend some time together. I happened to see your graduation invitation on the fridge.”

You: “Oh, well….. *looking down at your feet* I guess I forgot to tell you. *looking up at Himchan* Can we talk for a minute? *Himchan nods and looks at you as if waiting for you to begin* Alone?”