Chapter 2

Pure

Throughout the whole of morning classes, Sehun didn't pay attention to anything other than Luhan.
He was so mesmerized by him that he felt his heart skip a beat with every move he made.
The way Luhan crinkled his nose.
The way Luhan rested his chin on his hand.
The way Luhan's blinking slowed down and his eyes drooped slightly.
The way Luhan rubbed his nape slowly with his palm.
Luhan just looked so adorable doing all of that, and Sehun couldn't tear his eyes away, afraid that he'd miss some really precious moments if he did.
The strange thing was, Luhan kept a straight face all that time.
He never showed any emotion other than fatigue, and he acted like he was alone in the whole room, not interacting with anyone at all.
As soon as the bell rang, he packed his bags and left the room right after the teacher.
Sehun's eyes trailed Luhan, and he stared dumbfounded at the empty doorway until he saw D.O tugging at his suitcase.
The small boy, surprisingly, was able to move his suitcase that almost came up to his chest, but Sehun felt bad letting someone he barely knew take his luggage, so he jogged up to D.O hurriedly.

"It's okay, I can do it myself." Sehun reached out to grab his suitcase, only to be pulled back by Kai.

"Let him do it. His motherly instincts always kick in and he feels happy doing it, so just let him be yeah? He wants to take you to your dorm."
Sehun raised his eyebrow at such an odd comment, but decided to not question it since D.O genuinely looked really pleased with himself as he dragged the heavy suitcase along, taking long strides to keep up with Sehun.
Sehun felt both awkward and comfortable at the same time, with D.O alternating between tugging at his suitcase and smiling up warmly at him.
The older boy clearly meant well and at times Sehun wanted say something, but he felt like he should respect D.O's silence and keep it that way.
The walk ended all too shortly for the two new friends, when D.O led Sehun out of the academic building, across a small field and into a low rise grey building.
They walked along a narrow hallway and made a right turn before D.O halted, and Sehun naturally stopped behind him.
He watched in amazement when D.O pulled a small whiteboard out from his backpack and started scribbling on it quickly before holding it up quite adorably with both hands clutching onto the sides.
Sehun chuckled out loud before leaning in to read what the small boy had written in his neat blocky hand writing.

 

My room with Jongin (Kai) --->

 

Sehun, being the bright kid he was, figured out where the arrow was pointing right away.
He looked up and his eyes landed on a cornflower blue door with a metal number 1 hung near the top.
There was also some funny plastic hooks in the centre of it.
Sehun was wondering what they were for, when D.O tapped his whiteboard with his fingers, trying to catch his attention again.

 

I put my whiteboard on the door when I'm inside so people know if I'm asleep, working, or having a meltdown and they shouldn't come in.


"Ah. That makes sense." Sehun nodded, unaware that he was speaking out loud until D.O showed him the whiteboard after quickly writing another line on it.


You sound young, like Jongin. I think you're joining him in the maknae line.


"I'm only 18. I might not be the maknae, I'm born in April which is quite early in the year anyway." Sehun shrugged, then met D.O's wide smile and a shake of his head.

"Oh. So I am the maknae."
D.O nodded and started scrubbing his whiteboard clean, oblivious to Sehun's disappointment.
He wasn't trying to intimidate anyone and show his authority of being a senior, but he thought it'd be nice to be able to escape being the youngest.
D.O tapped his board again, and Sehun looked down to see a floor plan of the corridor.


Kitchen & Living room 
                                     ____                                ___
                                           |                                |
               Jongin & me: 1                                         2: Suho & Lay
                                           |                                |
Chanyeol & Baekhyun: 3                                        4: Xiumin & Chen
                                           |                                |
                   Kris & Tao: 5                                        6: You
                                           |                                |
                                            Bathroom & Shower


"Uh... Am I not supposed to be rooming with someone?" Sehun asked.
He felt like he was forgetting something, but he couldn't remember and he frowned in frustration.
Then D.O reminded him.


Luhan.

 

D.O left Sehun in front of his room, explaining in hurried yet still neat handwriting that he had to go cook lunch as it's his turn to cook on the rota.
Sehun swore under his breath and tugged his suitcase closer, unsure of what to do next.
Should I knock?
But this is gonna be my room too... 
it, why do I need to knock before going into my own room?

Sehun grabbed the handle of the door and pushed it with more force than he intended to.
The door opened to reveal Luhan standing at his desk, just as beautiful as he looked in the classroom to Sehun.
He gasped and stared in shock at Sehun, who stood at the doorway staring back dumbly.
The two stared at each other in silence for a few minutes, before Sehun mentally slapped himself and dragged his suitcase in and shut the door behind him.
The loud noise echoed in the quiet room, making Sehun even more nervous than he already was.
Luhan was watching him with a deer in the headlights expression, looking confused and for some reason scared,
Surely I'm not that scary...?

"I guess I'll be your roommate from now on? I'm Oh Sehun." Sehun tried to sound as casual and gentle as he possibly could.
For some strange reason he had decided in his head that if he spoke too loudly Luhan would physically break.
He looked that fragile.

"Luhan." Luhan's voice sounded so crisp and heart lifting, like water slowly drizzling into a stream or a wind chime on a hot summer's day.
Sehun could feel his cheeks burning and his heart pounding hard against his chest, and he couldn't bear the thought of scaring his roommate away, so he turned his back against Luhan and started unpacking his things.
Then to Sehun's surprise, Luhan knelt down at the opposite end of the suitcase and started lifting things out of it without a word.
He worked quickly, unloading everything onto Sehun's bed, which was across from his own.
Sehun watched in amazement as the thin frail body hoisted the empty suitcase up after a few minutes and rolled it to the other end of the room into a large closet.
It was only then Sehun realized the room could be divided into two equal halves, one side the mirror image of the other, with a bed against the length of the room, wardrobe behind the headboard and desk at the far end with the storage closet in between.
That meant that even though Luhan and him were in the same room, they'll be living separately as if there was an invisible line down the middle of it.
That thought saddened Sehun.
When his eyes landed back on Luhan again, he saw that the elder had already stacked his books neatly at his desk, and was about to move onto hanging his clothes up.

"You really don't have to do this, but thank you." Sehun said simply and offered a sincere smile at the elder.
Luhan paused and looked at Sehun blankly for two seconds, before returning to his self assigned task of sorting Sehun's clothes out.
Sehun's heart felt heavy, but he clenched his teeth trying hard not to show how strangely sad he felt.
He joined Luhan in folding his clothes and putting them into drawers and the wardrobe, and put the rest of his belongings into their correct places before Kai banged on the door, telling them lunch was ready.

"Oh hey, you unpacked quickly." Kai peered inside the room after Luhan slipped past him, and he looked around the neat space inside.

"Yeah, Luhan helped me."

"He what?" Kai froze at the door, eyes so wide they almost dropped out of their sockets.

"He helped me unpack...?" Sehun replied uncertainly, wondering if he had said something wrong or something utterly ridiculous.
Turns out he had.

"Luhan hyung never interacts with anybody."