Chapter 20

Pure

"Let's go let's go let's go!" Xiumin, who was usually orderly and composed, screamed at the top of his lungs and dashed out of the door as soon as the clock struck twelve.
Kai and Lay hurriedly followed, leaving their homeroom teacher sighing in annoyance even though he was used to the reckless teens he'd been given in charge over.

"Where are they going?" Sehun asked his seated neighbors, although Tao was gone in a flash too, dragging Kris with him.


We get given our letters first day of every month.


D.O's smile was just a little warmer than usual, and Sehun figured he was excited about receiving letters.
He nodded at the elder and lazily shoved his hands into his pockets, tailing the rest of his friends out of the class.
The boy on his mind was walking a few paces in front of him, sandwiched between Baekhyun and Chanyeol, who were being the chatterboxes they were and bombarding Luhan with jokes and stories.
Luhan was visibly a little unnerved, glancing left and right at his two new friends without a word and nodding occasionally.
Sehun smiled, feeling the bashful side of the boy capture his heart completely.
He loved how quickly and well the others took Luhan in.
But then again, they have always cared for him, even though they had no way of getting through to the boy.

"Hey maknae, will you be getting anything? Love letters perhaps?" Chen suddenly appeared beside Sehun with a wide grin plastered across his face.

"Doubt it." Sehun averted his gaze from the shorter boy in a pink jumper.
He didn't like the way Chen made a joke out of everything, even though he understood it was in his nature.
He did admire him though, for that attitude, because it meant that nothing would bring him down, not even his own family turning him away.

"We're in the same boat then. My wrinkly old gramps told my dad and his family that if any of them wrote to me he'll remove their names from his will. He actually paid my mom to lose contact with me. Heh, what he doesn't know is even if he didn't do that she wouldn't have written to me anyway." Chen giggled, and Sehun suddenly pitied him because he was like Luhan.
Except he didn't have a father who loved him, until death separated them.

"Man, I'm sorry. I know-"

"What for? I don't care, I'm having the time of my life in this place! Come on, let's see how many letters Woomin hyung gets this time!" Chen laughed and skipped ahead of Sehun into their dormitory building.
I could use an attitude like that sometimes.
I'd be so much happier.

Sehun smiled at the sight of the shorter boy kicking off his shoes and sending them flying off in different directions while he plopped himself down next to Xiumin on the sofa, who was sorting out the small crate of letters despite the obvious urgency written on his face to read his own letters.
Kai and Lay stood beside the wooden table, already ripping their envelopes to get to their letters inside.
Tao stood beside Kris and looked on anxiously while the elder picked up the two envelopes for himself, though not opening them and simply watching Xiumin.

"Baekhyunie hyung, Chanyeolie hyung! Both of you have letters!!" Kai, somehow in a bright mood that Sehun thought he'd never see on the tanned boy, waved two pink and blue envelopes in his hands, then rushed over to the busy duo in the kitchen.

"My noona just had a baby!!"
Oh, that's why.

"Oh! Here, Tao-yah!" Xiumin plucked a rather big envelope sitting at the bottom of the crate and handed it to Tao, who grinned like Christmas came early.
The young boy smiled up at Kris, and they opened their letters together.
D.O and Suho each picked up an envelope, the former grinding his teeth against his top lip while he read his card and the latter humming happily.

"I taught my sister well. She's turned down every boy who asked her out so far." Xiumin giggled and clapped his hands.

"Guys! I'm an uncle!"

"Oooh, I should consider buying more shares in this..." Suho mumbled to himself and walked into the kitchen, offering to read Baekhyun's and Channel's letters out for them.

"Oh crap, forgot my mom's birthday!" Kris's eyes widened and he hurried out of the living room.

"Ge Ge, wait! We don't have any paper anymore, I used the last ones to write to my parents!" Tao chased after Kris, leaving his letter behind, which Sehun caught a glimpse of but couldn't understand because it was written in Chinese.

"Look! My niece is freaking adorable!"

"What? My noona'a already gotten her first broadcast?" Chanyeol's voice boomed from the kitchen, with Baekhyun's giggles following.

"At least your sister didn't send you hairs from her apparently new pet iguana as a joke like my hyung did."

"Oh wait it's a boy! I have a nephew!!"

"Baekhyun's grandmother sent me money." Lay grinned, his deep dimple showing as he waved a couple of bills in his hand.

"No fair!! Why doesn't she ever send me money!?" Baekhyun yelled, pointing an accusing finger at Lay, who simply gave a goofy smile.


My granny sent me a Christmas card. Fifth time this year already.


D.O covered his eyes with one hand and shoved the festive card back onto the table with the other.

"Can't blame her, she has Alzheimer's right?" Chen chuckled and picked the card up, laughing out loud as he read through it.

"Sehunie, you have to see this! He looks like me right?" Kai jumped in front of Sehun and shoved a photo in his face.
Sehun frowned and back away a little, only to see a newborn baby with dark skin and a little post-it note stuck to it which said "I love uncle Jongin! <3"

"Very nice."

"See? Someone cares!" Kai yelled, running back into the kitchen to bother Chanyeol and Baekhyun.
Sehun noticed as well as Chen and himself, there were no letters for Luhan, and he expected that.
He made his way over to the pale boy, who stood behind the sofa watching everything quietly.

"Hey." Sehun tapped Luhan's shoulder, and the other looked up at him with calm and still eyes.

"None for me either." Sehun gave a wry smile and wrapped his arm around Luhan's small waist, trying to comfort the other.

"Do you ever write to your mother?" Sehun held Luhan close and his side tenderly.
A shake of the head.

"She might not want to hear from me."

"You never know, she might."
Luhan looked away nonchalantly.
Sehun knew though, his words made an impact on his lover that night when they laid in bed.
The pale boy kept stirring in his arms, frustrated little whines sounding from him.

"You alright, Lu?" Sehun kissed the corner of Luhan's forehead and breathed against it.
Luhan didn't say anything, and instead clutched onto the front of Sehun's t-shirt tighter.

"I know what's on your mind, Lu." Sehun peppered kisses across Luhan's foreheads, then held his little hand in his own.
I want you to patch things up with your mother as much as you do.

"She'll think I'm intruding her life..." Luhan took Sehun's hand and played around with it, and Sehun could tell herp was trying to sound as calm as possible even though he was hurting inside.

"Then she is a mushroom." Sehun gave Luhan a knowing smile, and the latter giggled a little.
With his attempt to lighten Luhan's mood successful, Sehun tilted Luhan's head up gently and pecked his lips.

"You never know until you try. Let's write to her."

 

 

Author's Note:

Already plotting my next fic, which will be crack.

I might actually be on crack while I write it <--- Joking, don't do drugs kids that's ed up

(Plus your author doesn't need real crack to act like she's on crack Trololololol)

Btw that mushroom is a reference in The Little Prince, where he meets a man on the planet who does nothing but add up figures and think they are matters of consequence.

It angered the Little Prince, so he said "He is not a man -- he is a mushroom!"

And, yeah, LuLu's mom is a mushroom. Fungus. Mmh. Lovely.

idek I'm sorry I lol