Chapter 9

Pure

Am I hearing things again?
Sehun asked himself and hurriedly turned around.
There was only empty space between him and the field.

"Lu?" Sehun called and curiously stepped through the small opening of the field.
There were white roses blooming in neat rows, with trees surrounding the whole perimeter.
It was the first time Sehun had ever seen so many roses together, let alone white ones exclusively.
He was mesmerized by the beautiful white flowers lying in the sea of green, and he found himself crouching down to the nearest rose, caressing the snowy bulb in his palm.

"You wouldn't know where Luhan is, would you?" Sehun sighed, breathing in the sweet fragrance in the air.
It reminded him of Luhan.
For all Sehun know, the thin boy could be hiding anywhere among the flowers in his white clothes.
Except his mocha brown hair would stand out.
Sehun smiled sadly at the thought of Luhan, then stood up slowly and left the field behind.

"Sehun."
Lu?

"Luhan!" Sehun ran towards the dark haired boy sitting on the bench.
Luhan had a slightly furrowed expression on his face, and he took Sehun's hands in his own.

"Lu, are you okay? Where have you been? Are you hungry? Let's take you back and-"

"Does it hurt?" Luhan cut off Sehun mid sentence and gently rolled Sehun's hands around, examining them for injuries.
Sehun's heart leaped at Luhan's words, and he clamped his mouth shut.
The boy before him clearly hadn't slept well, judging from the tired eyes and dark circles under them, and he hadn't eaten for at least thirty six hours, and the first thing he asked Sehun was if his hands hurt.
Sehun felt stupid by his own actions, and stunned by Luhan's.
He slipped his hands out of Luhan's and pulled the the thin boy into a tight embrace.

"I'm sorry, Lu. I forgot you hate people getting hurt. I was being an idiot." Sehun held onto the back of Luhan's dirty white shirt, afraid that if he let go Luhan would run from him again.
Luhan didn't push him away, but Sehun didn't want to take any chances.
The past two days were hell for him.

"I hurt you." Luhan said softly against Sehun's neck, his hair tickling Sehun's chin.

"You didn't know. If it's your fault then it's mine too, because I didn't move away even though you were hitting me." Sehun nuzzled into the crown of Luhan's head.
Roses.

"I might hurt you again."

"'You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.', Lu." Sehun said quietly, holding Luhan closer.
Luhan fell quiet for a few moments, then nodded in agreement and slowly pushed himself away from Sehun.
He held out his hand at Sehun, and the latter wasted no time in taking the slender hand in his.
Sehun smiled a little at their connected hands and then up at Luhan.

"Let's go. The other guys are all waiting for you." Sehun ignored the surprised gasp from Luhan and gently pulled him towards the dorm.

 

"Sehun's back!" A husky voice yelled as Sehun led Luhan in, and suddenly ten boys were rushing towards them, tumbling over each other and ending up in an awkward pile of limbs in front of them.

"Luhan's back too! Welcome back!" Xiumin shouted excitedly and bounced up and down, causing the other nine to groan in pain from the heavy boy shifting his weight around.

"Are you hungry Luhan? Kris hyung and I made dinner and we made extra just for you!" Tao beamed proudly and freed his arm from underneath Lay's and pointed at the kitchen with much difficulty.
Sehun cocked his head and amusedly watched Luhan.
The thin boy looked so startled by all the affection being thrown at him, and his eyes widened to the size of golfballs.
Sehun gave Luhan's hand a little squeeze.
Luhan whipped his head around and he looked a little uncertain, his bright eyes twinkling with confusion.
Sehun smiled as warmly as he could and released his hand from Luhan's, then nudged him forward lightly and nodded with encouragement.
Luhan gulped and looked at the ten men before him, then opened his mouth to let out the faintest of whispers.

"I'm hungry."
Apparently that's loud enough for everyone to hear.

"Get off me Chanyeol! Luhan said he's hungry!" Kris shoved Chanyeol off him and crawled out from the pile, causing the latter to yelp, then proceeded to free his roommate from the tangle.

"Come, Luhan! We're giving you triple the amount you normally have." Tao got up on his feet, rubbed his hand on the leg of his jeans and offered it to Luhan.
Luhan looked at Tao's hand silently and blinked a few times blankly at the other before placing his hand in it hesitantly.
Sehun felt his heart warming at the progress Luhan was making.
He watched Luhan take the plate slowly from Kris's hands and then quickly scurried over to the table where Sehun sat.

"Make sure you finish it all, Lu." Sehun whispered with a hushed voice, making sure Luhan was the only person who could hear that endearing nickname.
Luhan gazed at Sehun with wonder, before picking his chopsticks up.
He lowered his head when the others came around and starting eating too, and Sehun just had the urge to pull his shy little friend under his arm to shield him from the others' view.
But he knew Luhan wanted to try.
He found the way Luhan ate absolutely adorable.
He was lifting the noodles carefully into his mouth, held them by his lips while he moved his chopsticks lower, then repeating the process, all done without a noise.
Sehun saw out of the corner of his eye that he wasn't the only one watching Luhan.
He quickly glared at the other boys, and noticing Sehun's fiery stare they started slurping at their food noisily again.
Sehun scowled and scooted closer to Luhan before finishing his food in three large mouthfuls.
Luhan gave Sehun a confused look, and Sehun hurriedly wiped the frown off his face, smiling and shrugging.
He let out a relieved sigh inside when Luhan started eating again.
Sehun wasn't sure why he was so annoyed at the idea of other people watching Luhan.
He wanted to be the only person for Luhan to ever eat in front of, hold hands with and walk beside, despite what he promised the others.
The way Chen's cheeks blushed lightly when he watched Luhan irritated Sehun so much he felt like dragging Luhan back into their room. 
Am I... jealous?
Sehun quickly shook away the thought.
No, no way.
It's just like Kai and D.O hyung.
I'm just looking out for Luhan.
There's no way I'm jealous... Right?

 

Luhan was already in bed when Sehun came out of the shower.
He was perched on top of his bed in his tatty pajamas.
His eyes sparkled and followed Sehun when he entered, but almost immediately sunk and looked away.
That didn't escape Sehun's own two eyes.
He tossed his towel aside and sat on Luhan's bed.

"What's wrong, Lu?" Sehun gently rested his hand on top of Luhan's.
Luhan pursed his lips tightly and looked tentatively at Sehun with his big doe eyes.

"If you're worried about me, you don't have to be." Sehun reached across and took Luhan's hand, lacing their fingers together and holding them in front of Luhan.

"This is what I did when I heard you shouting in your sleep. And you stopped. You won't hurt me again." Sehun gave their hands a little squeeze.
Luhan lowered his gaze and slowly laid down on his bed, turning to his side and closed his eyes.
Sehun marveled at Luhan's beautiful long lashes and plump pink lips.
Luhan's beautiful face was a piece of art from heaven, and Sehun knew he'd never get tired of looking at it.
He remembered having Luhan's soft skin against the palm of his hand.
He was too distressed before to realize how amazing it felt and how he didn't want to let Luhan leave his touch.
How he wanted to press his lips against the smooth pale skin.
.
Sehun was aware of how dangerous his thoughts were getting, and he quickly dashed over to switch off the lights so Luhan's face would be hidden in the dark.
He clambered back to Luhan's bed and found his hand again.

"Goodnight, Lu," Sehun sighed out faintly and leaned against the head board.
There was silence, and then slow steady breathing.
Sehun passed it off as Luhan not being used to saying goodnight.
Maybe one night he'll say 'Goodnight Sehun' with his sweet voice.
Sehun could already hear it in his mind, and with that thought he smiled and closed his eyes.